PDA

View Full Version : Itchy scalp when I don't wash

ClareDee
August 21st, 2008, 03:54 AM
I'm someone who always used to wash her hair daily (shampoo and sometimes conditioner, but not always).... and is now trying to cut down on that, to keep my hair healthier.

My scalp is naturally very oily, and on the day after I wash, my hair is already greasy-looking at the roots. I don't mind that so much, but my scalp also itches from the oiliness, which I do mind, because I'm scratching and that can't be good.

I'm sure you have discussed this before here (feel free to just direct me somewhere!) - but does anyone have any advice? Should I go back to washing daily? Maybe just with conditioner? Or keep stretching out washes until my scalp "gets used to it"?

Thanks for any info/suggestions.

manderly
August 21st, 2008, 04:14 AM
How long have you been stretching your washes?

You could just be transitioning if you've only recently stopped washing every day. I experienced the same thing.

I can't really deal with day 3 hair because I get teeny tiny flakes in my hair from my scalp and they stick because it's kind of greasy and I make it worse by itching a bit.

If you've only recently started stretching your days, try to suck it up for a little bit more. If you've been doing it for a while you might want to try doing COs. Sometimes a vinegar rinse can help with itchy scalp too.

Shanarana
August 21st, 2008, 04:15 AM
I was also going to suggest and ACV rinse. That may help.

ClareDee
August 21st, 2008, 04:23 AM
Thanks Maderly and Shanarana. I've only been stretching out washes for the past couple of weeks (since finding this site), but I'm pretty weak-willed about it... When it itches, I go wash. I suppose it's hard to get over the notion that itching is always a bad sign.

I've never rinsed with vinegar, but will try it... *off to research*
Thanks ;)

Arctic
August 21st, 2008, 04:50 AM
Remember to dilute the vinegar ;)

Take your time with stretching out the washes. For some it takes a long time. Start from day and a half, work your way to two days and so on. And remember, we have lot of members with long hair who do wash every day or every other day. If you have to wash often, it doesn't mean you can't have long hair.

I personally wash often too, usually every other day. I used to be a daily washer too. For me this rhythm suits well, keeps my hair moisturized and scalp happy. I have very sensitive scalp and I get itching and dandruff easily. Also my hair gets really really dirty by the day 3, and when it's dirty it tangles which causes damage for me. For me it's about finding balance between scalp and hair. (I too have very oily skin and scalp)

That being said, some members have huge success with streching, and they have noticed their scalp was just responding to daily washing with producing more oil.

Katze
August 21st, 2008, 05:01 AM
I agree with Manderley.

It took my hair (similar type as yours) a while to adjust to washing less. Washing less made my scalp less itchy, and my hair softer, but only up to a point. Now, two years later, I've found that my hair, but especially my scalp, prefers being washed every 2-3 days.

Yes, I CAN wash every 5 days or so but my hair tends to look bad quickly and I get more 'scalp cleavage.'

It's all a matter of finding what works for you. For my sensitive, crusty scalp, ACV and honey treatments (not together!) have been wonderful.

ClareDee
August 21st, 2008, 05:17 AM
Thanks all. The best I've done so far is washing every other day. And hey it's half the washing I was doing before, which is a big change for me.

I'll persevere with it, partly because it gives me an excuse to stay in bed a bit longer every other morning :) - and I can use hair health as my excuse now. And also because I want to cut down on blowdrying (and, yeah, I used to blowdry my hair mercilessly every day)... and air-drying it every day is just crazy (Our house must be damp or something, because even my shoulder-length hair takes half the day to dry).

I'll dilute the vinegar! ;)

Arctic
August 21st, 2008, 05:33 AM
The best I've done so far is washing every other day. And hey it's half the washing I was doing before, which is a big change for me.
*SNIP*

That's right attitude and 100% correct too :) If you feel like it sure you can try stretching more. I sometimes, if I know I'll be home all day just let it be for DD3 (dirty day 3) and think I'm giving my hair a natural deep oil treatment :)

DrkAngel
August 21st, 2008, 05:37 AM
My scalp is like that too... so now I wet it almost every day even if I dont wash. you could try that. I Just stand in the shower and let the water fall on the top of my head and penetrate to the scalp. I dont touch it until I feel the water has reached the scalp. it helps distribute the oils and so I dont get the oily scalp with itchiness anymore. Then condish the length and I'm good to go.

Arctic
August 21st, 2008, 05:38 AM
Oh, and if you haven't allready, try out CWC washing method (Condition, wash, condition). Basically you:

-- wet your hair
--> put conditioner to the length
--> without rinsing wash scalp with shampoo
--> rinse
--> put conditioner to the length
--> let it sit through the rest of your shower (I use shower cap)
--> rinse

This helps to minimize any negative effects shampoo might have and helps to keep lengths tangle free. At least for my hair this is perfect way of washing :cloud9:

ChloeDharma
August 21st, 2008, 06:09 AM
As has been said, some people do wash frequently, i think that for some people it can help keep up moisture levels. As long as you remember that hair is at it's most vulnerable when wet and be really gentle with it it should be ok.
Have you tried using a BBB? They can be great for spreading the sebum along the length, and cleaning the scalp.
The other thing you could try is oiling your scalp, might sound odd but that can help to balance sebum production, jojoba is good for that......and ylang ylang essential oil is used for balancing sebum too.
Switching to CO washing would be a good idea, or also maybe try herb rinses as a gentle cleanse in between washing?

ClareDee
August 21st, 2008, 09:09 AM
Ye are mines of information - thanks :)
BBB, CO, ACV... I love how solutions come abbreviated!

I will definitely keep these vinegar/herbal rinses in mind - just to refresh the scalp a bit. For now I'm going to cover my greasy roots with a nice big headband :p

Tapioca
August 21st, 2008, 09:09 AM
What works for me is to CWC every third or fourth day, and CO on the others. I found that I can't go more than a day or so without getting my scalp at least wet, and having conditioner on every day really has helped with my moisture.

spidermom
August 21st, 2008, 09:44 AM
I can recommend CWC also. In addition, I dilute my shampoo. I saved an empty shampoo bottle for this. I dilute quite a lot, one modest squirt of shampoo into about 1/2-1 cup of warm water (never measured), shake well, squirt all over scalp. It has kept my hair in quite good shape. The ends used to dry out badly. Now they don't. I wash about every 3rd to 4th day, unless I'm working in the yard a lot, getting sweaty and dirty. Then I'll wash every day if I need to, even twice in one day, although every other wash will be CO if I find myself having to clean my hair more often than usual.

sipnsun
August 21st, 2008, 09:49 AM
My scalp gets very itchy also if I don't wash at least every other day. I've been trying to stretch out my shampoos for over a year but it's still gets itchy by day 3 to the point of sores developing. On the day I don't shampoo, I use some cornstarch baby powder to help absorb the oil, but that's as long as I can go.