PDA

View Full Version : How often do you use heat on your hair?

minnieblond
October 24th, 2012, 09:48 AM
I use it about twice a month. Bad me, I know:/ I do use a protectant spray, but I know that doesn't COMPLETELY protect it. I never blow dry my hair, but it's so hard to give up my straightener completely.

sunnydee92
October 24th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I blow dry very very very occasionally! I see almost instant damage when I straighten, regardless of what I put in it beforehand! :(

rtree721
October 24th, 2012, 09:59 AM
I haven't used heat on my hair since March I think. But I know I will again in April for my sister's wedding. I'll do what you do and use heat protectant.

Bianca
October 24th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Never.... :)

rock007junkie
October 24th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Very rarely. Maybe once every four months or so. As long as you take care of it and deep condition it often you should be fine. I used to blow dry it every week and my hair was always healthy.

Wahinee
October 24th, 2012, 10:14 AM
I've been heat free for 3 years. I used to straighten my hair multiple times a day with no heat protectant

Macaroni
October 24th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Never for me.

Colourful
October 24th, 2012, 10:21 AM
I use heat on my hair very, very, very rarely. I try to avoid heat as much as possible.

Accalia
October 24th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I never do... :)

melusine963
October 24th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I use a blowdrier maybe twice a year or so. Only when I really need my hair to dry quickly, which is practically never.

lapushka
October 24th, 2012, 11:27 AM
We use a blowdryer here weekly. My hair's between hip & TBL, and I haven't noticed damage from it *whatsoever*! There's nothing wrong with a blowdryer when you set it on warm (instead of blazing hot).

auroraclio
October 24th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Once or twice a week

jacqueline101
October 24th, 2012, 11:48 AM
When I'm sick in the winter time I blow dry use heat protector low heat.

Mayflower
October 24th, 2012, 11:55 AM
We use a blowdryer here weekly. My hair's between hip & TBL, and I haven't noticed damage from it *whatsoever*! There's nothing wrong with a blowdryer when you set it on warm (instead of blazing hot).

This. What's up with the "blowfrying" issue around here? Unless you're putting it on high speed and the hottest setting, you're not going to fry your hair, friends.

I use the blowdryer 2-3 a week for 5 minutes.

LadyTheta
October 24th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I never use heat to dry or to style my hair at home.
*** IF*** I had a 'bonnet' hairdryer, I would use it, to dry my hair in a 'wrap', or to deep-condition.

At most, I pop a wet towel in the microwave to heat *gently* to help a lengthy deep-conditioning treatment to penetrate better.

My hair hates blow-frying, always has.
So I've never been a user of one, gave it away a decade ago, don't want one.
Same for curling irons, flat irons, etc.

Maybe twice a year, I'll have it straight-styled @ salon. ;)

Theta

dulce
October 24th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Never now,I dry using a floor fan,it works great! No frizz and no heat.

ludwig20
October 24th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I haven't used a hair dryer or hair straightener in years. As others have said, I don't think it's all that bad if you use the right settings and only for a few minutes. Daily use might be too much....my hair tends to be on the dry side, so I stay away from heat styling tools.

Amygirl8
October 24th, 2012, 01:40 PM
The last time I used heat was back at the end of March. I had a really important event and my hair wasn't dry in time, so I used it for a couple minutes :P
I try to avoid heat completely, but during the winter my mom yells at me to go blow-dry my hair so I always let it dry a bit and then go blow-dry it (I have a one-minute hour-glass that I use to time two minutes).

Amygirl8
October 24th, 2012, 01:41 PM
This. What's up with the "blowfrying" issue around here? Unless you're putting it on high speed and the hottest setting, you're not going to fry your hair, friends.

I think it's just that the damage from warm wouldn't be immediate, but it would build up slowly over time.

Sophiatrist
October 24th, 2012, 03:21 PM
It has been a couple years for me. My hair has much better shape when I let it air dry. If I want it straight all I have to do is comb it and then go over it with a BBB.

EtherealDoll
October 24th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I flat iron my fringe almost every day. Other than that, no heat on the rest of the hair.

freckles
October 24th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I blowdry a handful of times a year generally. It must be at least a few months ago that I last did, but I don't remember. I probably will a little more in the winter. I don't use any other forms of heat on my hair.

PrincessIdril
October 24th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Once every blue moon and then it's only the hairdryer.
I mostly keep my dryer for emergencies or late night washes and I always use leave in condioner when I use the hairdryer. It's a little thing but I think it helps.

I did however discover the hard way that using anything more than leave in condioner when I blow dry does not end well. Using leave in conditoner, then applying my curl serum and blowdrying does lead to Hermione hair! And I'm not talking sleek Deathly Hallows Hermione, I'm talking Philosopher's Stone Hermione!

shutterpillar
October 24th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I blow dry my bangs whenever I wash my hair. That could be daily or every other day. If I dont blow dry them, my cowlick makes them look pretty wonky.

my actual length has not been heat styled since April of this year, though.

hufflepug
October 24th, 2012, 04:33 PM
It's been a few months. I threw out my flat iron and blow dryer when I decided to grow my hair long again. Even before that, I probably only used heat styling once every few months. My hair really doesn't react well to heat, it gets super dry, super fast.

torrilin
October 24th, 2012, 05:23 PM

I stopped using blow dryers sometime around 1997, mostly due to misplacing mine and being lazy in college. It was easier to stick my hair in an updo than deal with a blow dryer. (mileage can and will vary on that one) I wasn't deliberately trying to stop, but somewhere around 2002 or so, hairdressers started noticing that I was way fussier about split ends than they were.

These days, if I tell a hairdresser my hair is full of horrible splits, I get laughed at.

For some of us, it makes a big difference. It's mostly for those of us with fine or split prone hair. My hair is both fine and split prone :) and just cutting out a blow dryer let me go from trims every 6 weeks to trims every 6 months or less. It's a pretty big difference. No other hair care change I've made has had such a big and measurable impact.

The few times I used a hair dryer after accidentally quitting, I noticed extra tangles and splits for a YEAR after. It just wasn't worth it to me to resume the habit. I like being lazy with my hair.

Obviously, mileage varies on this one, and most LHCers are not as rabid as I am. But for my own personal hair, a blow dryer is definitely a no go and way more hassle than benefit.

gthlvrmx
October 24th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I never use heat, i have randomly before, but never again!

carrieavaught
October 24th, 2012, 06:17 PM
I use a flat iron on my hair about every 4 months or so. I don't blow dry though. I don't wash my hair during the day.

Dars
October 24th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Another never.

Artista
October 24th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I have diffuse hair loss so never.

Deborah
October 24th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Not at all.

AMD
October 24th, 2012, 08:04 PM
6-10 times a year. It has become less frequent every year. I only use a flat iron on air-dried hair.

jellycatty
October 24th, 2012, 09:33 PM
I straighten my fringe a couple times a week to every couple of weeks. Once a month I straighten 1/2 my hair. I don't blowdry my hair at all.

SerinaDaith
October 24th, 2012, 09:40 PM
I accidentally maliciously lost all my heat implements when I joined the LHC. My last cut was in May and I still have only S&D'ed one split. I search weeklybut have nothing to destroy.

sunshine-locks
October 24th, 2012, 09:43 PM
In the winter I'll use my blowdryer on the lowest setting (which isn't hot at all) to make my hair mostly dry because I get sick otherwise but in the warmer months, very rarely will I use it.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 25th, 2012, 02:18 AM
In the winter I sometimes blow dry my hair on a cool setting until it is still slightly damp, then I stroke mineral oil over it and leave it to air dry.

Words
October 29th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Almost never.

HintOfMint
October 29th, 2012, 07:23 PM
So far this year, it has just been when I get a haircut, so three times a year. There is the odd special occasion, so it usually comes out to 6 times a year. That's usually enough before I start sustaining damage from it.

turquoisedays
October 29th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Never. I haven't used a blow dryer since the age of 14, and I haven't used a straightener since mid 2010.

thankyousir74
October 29th, 2012, 09:21 PM
I don't remember the last time I heat treated the length, but now that I recently cut in fringe, I must use a hair straightener every time they get moistened. (every two or three days)

Maybe
October 29th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Until mid-August I flat.ironed almost every day. Since then I have not.used heat on.the length but I do still straighten.my bangs.

vanillabones
October 31st, 2012, 02:48 PM
Blowfrier a couple times a year when I'm in the rare-mood to just blowdry it and be done but this is not often and I feel guilty even thinking about it. So not often if never hehehe. My goal would be NEVER but I will again some day I am sure and when I go to the salon I like them to blowdry finish. When it is finally long I can say I will never ever blowfry the length!

doggyhog
October 31st, 2012, 05:28 PM
I used heat on my bangs a month ago, but other than that I haven't used heat since june. :)

Ceridwen Iris
October 31st, 2012, 08:17 PM
I iron my fringe everyday as I sleep with a mask which makes it stick straight up! Given my fringe is so short, even if it was damaging, it wouldn't matter.

I have very strong hair that doesn't need much TLC and so will use a straightener every now and again, probably once a month or so. I haven't cut my hair in 2 years and it is still fine so I think it just depends on your individual hair situation.

maborosi
October 31st, 2012, 08:51 PM
I had my hair heat styled for the last time, at least for a while, on the 27th for a wedding I was in. It was beautiful, but such a pain to deal with.

I'm not going to straighten any more unless I'm in another important event. Luckily, it doesn't look like I'm going to have to get it done for my brother's wedding in May! Maybe I'll splurge on a nice flexi-8 instead?

Before I found LHC, for some weird reason, I straightened my hair a lot. Even though my hair is pretty straight.

~maborosi~

Alexblue
November 14th, 2012, 10:38 AM
I went from using heat 2-3 times a week to almost never. I'd say in the past 6 months I've only used the blow-dryer twice on the coolest setting. I don't touch my flatiron anymore :-)

itdontmatter48
November 14th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I have not used heat since last winter, I have new hair goals now. ;)

gillybeanxo3921
November 14th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Over the past year since I started trying to grow my hair out, I've been flat ironing less and less. My hair has become very fragile, though. I still have length that has damage from it, that's barely holding up. I had to flat iron and curl it for my cheerleading competitions this season, and my hair is now frazzled. It's frizzy, it's tangly, it just looks bad. I'm trying to rehabilitate it, and I did get a trim, but it's going to be a while before it's nice again. Hopefully I can still make it to waist by this summer!

aspartame gram
November 14th, 2012, 10:16 PM
I've actually started to blow dry my hair every once in a while. It's shorter now, so my hair needs to be tamed a bit. If my hair had a more defined wave pattern, I wouldn't use a dryer. But alas, it doesn't. The waves don't look all that great. I figure as long as my hair is mostly dry, I use a heat protectant, and keep it on low heat I should be okay. :)

Zindell
November 15th, 2012, 04:53 AM
Never, ever, ever! :p

TheLadyKM
November 15th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I avoid it as far as possible, but I use hair drier on average twice in a year.

TheLadyKM
November 15th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I blow dry very very rarely. Many be twice a year. :D
I use it about twice a month. Bad me, I know:/ I do use a protectant spray, but I know that doesn't COMPLETELY protect it. I never blow dry my hair, but it's so hard to give up my straightener completely.

faellen
November 16th, 2012, 05:59 AM
I used to just blow dry on the cool setting but I admit now I am much more busy I am finding myself switching to heat again, as it's just so much quicker... Also the weather is colder and it feels so nice with the heat blowing my way, lol.
As for the straightener, I use it about once a month, depending.

LadyCelestina
November 16th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Rarely,and when I really need to dry my hair quickly,I blow-dry just hair near the scalp.But I'm thinking of straightening it once as a practice when I'll have time,because chances are I'd like my hair straight for prom,but I've never done it before!

KAggs
November 16th, 2012, 09:30 PM
During the warmer months, I only used it for special occasions. Now that it's getting colder, I've been using a few times of month. I try to put it on the low heat setting to avoid a crazy amount of damage, but I'm not sure if it matters either way.

Kristin
November 17th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I blow dry my roots probably once a week when I'm too cold, but rarely fully dry it that way. I should probably throw away my straightener as I never use it...I do use a large barreled curling iron on it a couple times a month, but find that I get the same results with overnight heat-free methods, so that doesn't happen unless I'm in a pinch.

SlipJig
November 17th, 2012, 11:52 AM
I use the blowdryer on low just on my fringe after every wash, and if my fringe needs re-doing the next day I will flat-iron it, but I do not use heat on the rest of my hair, generally. If I were to blow-dry or flat-iron my hair straight at the moment, it would probably look really odd, as I have no real style or cut to speak of. The way it dries naturally in messy waves and poky bits helps to disguise this. I am not too concerned about a bit of damage, so I might try heat on my hair soon to get a better idea of the length and have a bit of fun with it, but the last time I blowdried my hair it just looked sad, so I'm in no hurry.

cuddledumplin
November 18th, 2012, 10:03 AM
The only time I ever do is when my hair looks gross in the winter, and I have to wash it and go out in a relatively short time.

Bonkers57
November 18th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Every day I "direct" my bangs with a curling iron. That's it.

MORE
November 19th, 2012, 12:55 AM
I never do it anymore, it damaged my hair so much. I used to blowdry it almost everyday followed by flatironing or curling with iron or rollers. If I didn't do this my hair would look like a birds nest. It became a bad circle - I would feel that I had to use heat to make it look somehow decent, but more heat only lead to even more bird-nesty hair. In the end nothing could save it, it would look nesty anyway. I stopped doing this a little over a year ago, but the damage was already done. Since then I am growing all the damage out.

I want to continue banishing heat on my head, because it really works for me. My virgin hair is super soft and actually is wavy - it's just that I never noticed due to all my heat use. Don't have any heat tool that can create these waves mihihi. I love my own texture now!

Although there is one day I will use heat again: on my wedding day. I don't know when this will be but that's my only exception!

sfgirl
November 19th, 2012, 02:11 AM
I started using heat again. It's just quicker for work (where I need to have my hair either straightened or curled, and my steam curlers take to long). So I use heat anywhere from 1-4 times a week, which is terrible.

ancilla
November 19th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I may be a rarity around here, but I use a straightening iron maybe once a week on my side swept bangs and areas around my scalp. I have no damage from doing this (I do have rather coarse hair)

The reason why is that whenever I wash my hair and air dry it, it gets really wavy near my scalp/face and it looks horrible. I don't mind having natural waves, but I wish the top part of my hair, and the hair that is near my face would stay straight. I use heat protectant spray, and the curls there are NOT damage, my hair is just naturally wavy and weird.

SkyIsRed
November 19th, 2012, 11:38 AM
I've used hot iron on bags daily for last 5 or 6 years. My hair there looks a little darker for some reason, but otherwise its same texture and shine as the rest of my hair (which I never apply heat on)

SkyIsRed
November 19th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I've used hot iron on bags daily for last 5 or 6 years. My hair there looks a little darker for some reason, but otherwise its same texture and shine as the rest of my hair (which I never apply heat on)

SkyIsRed
November 19th, 2012, 12:36 PM

SkyIsRed
November 19th, 2012, 12:51 PM

Piyo
November 19th, 2012, 01:03 PM
This thread made me realize I haven't used heat on my hair in about a year. Pretty much about the time I joined this site!! :D