PDA

View Full Version : Passing along knowledge

Rapunzelwannabe
August 20th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Today at the restaurant a group came in that had two young-ish girls- one about 5 and the other 11. They both had gorgeous curly hair that came to the middle of their backs and was completely loose and beautiful the way only children’s hair is. The older girl’s hair was this great shade of blonde that I couldn’t help but say ‘you have really beautiful hair. I hope you don’t get weirded out by that.’ The woman sitting next to her said ‘oh, I’ve been saying that all day. She’s going to cut it.’ I expressed my surprise and asked why and was told she was donating it. I asked who she was donating it to and the girl said she hadn’t decided. I told her about Pantene great lengths and Locks of Love, and that LOL gives wigs to kids with alopecia, as well as how they charge some recipients on a sliding scale. They seemed a little taken aback that I knew so much about them, and said they’d pass on the info to the girl’s mom. I also mentioned that Jennifer Garner donated to Pantene Great Lengths for the celeb-factor (later I remembered it was more likely Hillary Swank- oops!) and that they do wigs for actual cancer patients. I felt all glowy inside that I could pass along the most accurate information to somebody.

Marchpane
August 20th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Aww, that's great! It's fun to learn about things and then pass them on to other people. I've already passed on a few things I've learned here to others. :)

heidi w.
August 21st, 2008, 12:14 PM
Good job. Next time be sure to add that they throw away as much as 60% of hair when it arrives at LoL in Florida, and then Taylormade throws away more once it receives it to make the wig. Then a % is sold, as well (ostensibly the hair that is deemed unsuitable for a wig -- but then, who would buy that?)....

People are shocked to learn so much hair is thrown away. You can always tell folks all this data was published in the NYTimes back in Sept 2007 in the Style Section.

It's still online, and there was a recent thread about this.

Maybe you helped them make a better decision. Let's hope so.

heidi w.