PDA

View Full Version : Severe shed due to Hypothyroid?

aries
August 20th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Has anyone gone through a severe shed that has Hypothyroidism? I have been shedding hair really bad for a long time and got diagnosed with Hypothyroidism about 6 months ago. Does the shedding stop at all or at least let up? Is there a way to get thickness back once the thyroid is under control.

Can anyone suggest a good Hair, skin and nail vitamin since Nitrol discontinued theirs?

Soniasonia
August 20th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Have you tried massaging your scalp? Massage your fav oil into your scalp for 2 minutes a day.

ShadowSwallow
August 20th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I've been struggling for the past 4-6 weeks with severe hairloss. Mine is because of vitamin deficiencies. Particularly potassium (I know, I'm weird). Henna helped mine, although my scalp is very sensitive, but henna also helps.

I hope you figure out what's causing your hairloss!

Karmal
August 21st, 2008, 06:50 AM
I've been on armour thyroid for 28 years. I still shed more than normal, and anytime my dose is changed I shed a lot. But, it seems the new hairs come in as fast as the old ones go out, so it works out fairly even for me. I had shed so much in the beginning (before I was diagnosed and continued for a couple months after starting the meds) that I had to comb my hair just right, or you could see bald patches. That doesn't happen to everyone though, but I do think the extra shedding does happen to most people with thyroid abnormalities.

Tapioca
August 21st, 2008, 08:55 AM
Before starting synthroid, I would have massive sheds, and I still did whenever they adjusted my dosage. I've been fairly steady for about three years, though, and my hair has thickened right back up. Perhaps too much...

longhairdreams
August 21st, 2008, 10:45 AM
Another Hypothyroid chiming in.I had Radioactive iodine for hyper and the dose was too high so they completely killed my thyroid.And I'm with the others shedding depends alot on how your levels are.Sometimes I even shed when my levels read "normal".It was alot worse when I was on a synthetic.But now I'm taking armour and the shedding is alot better.If my levels get too low then I still shed alot.Once the levels are back to normal the hair fills right back in.It can be frustrating.I've had my hair get up to 4in plus ponytail only to have it shed out to under 2in.I think vitamins can help.I take a big dose of biotin which seems to help curb some of the shedding.But the main thing is to make sure your levels are right.Some people need to take a combination of thyroid meds to get back to normal.Good luck.Many people have it anymore so you are not alone.

Blueglass
August 21st, 2008, 01:52 PM
I am on Levothyroxin for hypothyroid my shedding is no more then average now that I'm on the medication.

aries
August 21st, 2008, 11:03 PM
Soniasonia, I massage every night and love to use my oils which does seem to help some. I just get terrified when I see the amount of hair that comes out and my hairdresser whom I see twice a year commented on it. Pretty scarey. I am thinking of massaging morning and evening to see if that will help increase blood flow and in turn help with the fallout. thank you for your response and suggestion.

I feel sorry for all the rest of you who are struggling with this. I am also taking Levothyroxin and I am still not normalized and I think that's why I am still losing hair. Hopefully my next blood test and perscription change will make changes.

Longhairdreams, I see that you take vitamins and wonder if you think they help very much or not? I was taking vitamins and now have to find new ones because they discontinued the ones I was taking. Time for GNC run.

I think I should also talk to my doctor about this and see what he says, maybe there is an iron difficiency or some other vitamin problem going on as well.

Thank you all for your responses and help. I am still striving for my long hair dreams, almost to waist, even though I am thinning I am looking forward to when I can get my hair to thicken up again.