PDA

View Full Version : Flaky/dry scalp

Saranne772
August 20th, 2008, 04:50 PM
What do you find best works for you? Ive suffered from this badly for years and it really annoys me. I though I had it sorted but it has come back again.

Golden21
August 20th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I have had this trouble for awhile as well. The Monistat worked to get rid of all of the flakes. I also use a few crushed asprin in my shampoo on occasion.

ChloeDharma
August 20th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Overnight oilings with coconut or jojoba can be very good at controlling it as they help to soften loose skin making it easier to remove then you wash. They both also have anti-fungal properties which helps control the fungus that causes dandruff.....if it actually is dandruff. Jojoba also helps dissolve hardened sebum if it's that that's flaking.
Rosemary rinses (herb infusion) have always kept my scalp happy when needed.
ACV rinses can help by re-establishing an acidic ph.
Some people find sulphates can cause irritation so it might be an idea to avoid those, and take note of whether certain products make it worse.

driven fool
August 20th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Mentioning that sulphates can cause irritation over my dandruff issues. I'm no chemist but could the fact that I am allergic to sulpha based medication cause extra irritation to my scalp?

Chromis
August 20th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Henna. I've tried tea tree, mint, nettle, lavender, rosemary, different shampoos but henna is the only thing that consistently rids me of the itchy scalp. The rest do feel and smell quite nice though!

Tapioca
August 21st, 2008, 09:56 AM
Tea tree oil helped with the itchies, as well as quitting sulfates and cones. Long oilings are great for dryness.

serenitygal
August 21st, 2008, 10:06 AM
I find that a good oiling helps immensely. If I'm going after flakes, I'll oil my scalp as well and realy give myself a good scalp massage. That helps loosen everything up. I then scritch quite thoroughly, apply tea tree oil to the flakey spots, and sleep with it like that. In the morning, I CO with jojoba oil and tea tree oil added to the conditioner. Occasionally (think 3-4x/year) I clarify with a diluted shampoo; I dilute to about 25% and add tea tree EO, rosemary EO, and honey. This usually takes care of the flakes.