PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else notice...

SarieQ
March 17th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else notice their hair being greasier when they're cold? I don't just mean when it's cold outside, but when ya feel chilled to the bone. I notice the most greasiness on the days that I am cold and can't seem to warm up. Like today and yesterday, I just feel so cold and no amount of tea or etc is warming me up. I haven't been wearing a hat either, or I'd blame it on that. Sure enough, here comes the greasies today! It's time for a nice hot aromatherapy oil bath!

Alley Cat
March 17th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Actually mine is greasier when it is hot:shrug:

Islandgrrl
March 17th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else notice their hair being greasier when they're cold? I don't just mean when it's cold outside, but when ya feel chilled to the bone. I notice the most greasiness on the days that I am cold and can't seem to warm up. Like today and yesterday, I just feel so cold and no amount of tea or etc is warming me up. I haven't been wearing a hat either, or I'd blame it on that. Sure enough, here comes the greasies today! It's time for a nice hot aromatherapy oil bath!

Never noticed this personally. But maybe your head is trying to insulate itself with increased oil production? A protective barrier to the cold????

Of course I could be just blowing smoke here....I dunno......

Neon Gloss
March 17th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Mine gets much greasier when it's hot, but it USED to be worse in the cold.

Anje
March 17th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Mine spent most of the winter being greasier than normal. Probably one of the reasons I ended up going back to CO -- I kept getting greasies that WO wasn't getting out.

ETA: My length is happier now, but I'm not sure my scalp is.

jojo
March 17th, 2008, 08:01 PM
my hair is generally more greasy over the winter months and also strangely straighter, probably due to the greasiness, yet in summer my hair is more dry and wavy.

hrimfaxi
March 17th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I wonder if you just feel the grease more in the winter because it's cooler--the oil is probably more solid at lower temperatures. I could also be talking out of my arse, but I'd think you'd be more likely to have an icky scalp in the summer when it's warm and you're sweating more.
Dunno! An interesting problem; I imagine it varies from person to person...

Carina
March 17th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I'm with you:).My hair seems a lot greasier when it's cold and I'm freezing.Hate it but a warm shower feels so good and a cup of latte mmmmm to beat the cold.:magic:

SarieQ
March 18th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Never noticed this personally. But maybe your head is trying to insulate itself with increased oil production? A protective barrier to the cold????

Of course I could be just blowing smoke here....I dunno......

That's the same theory I have too. When we're cold, our circulation isn't as good and therefore effects the skin/hair. Then perhaps it puts out a bunch of sebum to help hold in the heat so that the skin can keep up with it's normal functions.

JoJo, I notice the same thing too. My hair has been so much straighter that I changed my profile from 2c to 2a. It can't be a humidity thing in my case either because I live in a climate that is more humid in the winter with lots of misty rains, but like a desert in the summer.

spidermom
March 18th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I get this, too, but I know why (I think). I love long hot soaks in the bathtub when it's cold, which makes my scalp sweat and brings out the sebum. In hot weather, I favor cool-to-warm showers.

tiny_teesha
March 25th, 2008, 04:54 AM
same, mine tends to get oily when i'm hot and i can go fewer washing in winter.

MeMyselfandI
March 25th, 2008, 06:25 AM
My take on it.

During different times of a menstrual cycle, a person may feel more tired and cold, is that also the time more oil is being produced? I feel that it is for me.

I am always cold in the winter. My hair is greasier some days more then others, I have not paid attention to my feelings of cold and hot.

Hedera
March 25th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I think my hair is less greasy when it's hot; the sweat tends to de-grease it a bit (because of the salt content, probably).

Alun
March 25th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I wonder if you just feel the grease more in the winter because it's cooler--the oil is probably more solid at lower temperatures. I could also be talking out of my arse, but I'd think you'd be more likely to have an icky scalp in the summer when it's warm and you're sweating more.
Dunno! An interesting problem; I imagine it varies from person to person...

What she said!

I think you generate more grease when you're hot, but it becomes thicker and stickier when you are cold.

ladystar
March 25th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Mine when its hot

Little_Bird
March 25th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I notice that... actually I just came from Minho (North of Portugal) where is much colder... and i noticed my hair was greasier... I think it must be because of the humidity, at least in my area... :confused:Anyways, I don't like that feel at all hehe...

Poppy Seed
May 21st, 2008, 08:51 PM
I think I'm with Hedera on this...but I can't say I've noticed that much difference. (Slight sidestep: I notice that my scalp is itchier and greasier just before the weekly wash if it's been about 2 months since the last root touch up.)

Mrs_Zombie
May 21st, 2008, 09:33 PM
at first, i thought no. but now that i think about it yeah. i do think so, i just moved to a colder climate a month and a half ago and i was wondering why my hair needed to be washed 2x a week instead of my regular one. Guess this answers my question!!

Thanks SarieQ!!

Finoriel
May 22nd, 2008, 02:14 AM
I have experienced both: itīs getting greasier when itīs either very cold or very warm :)
Usually it does not get really hot here, so in my climate my hair tends to be greasier in the winter. Some sort of protecting reaction from the body I think. You do not get that cold when you have oil on your skin to protect it. Swimmers on competitions in lakes or rivers used to use oils / fat to isolate their bodies :wink: just came to my mind.
When I was on vacation in a hot climate with 40°C I used to sweat a lot! More than I ever had at home and my hair got greasier than itīs usually, too. No clue what that is good for, but interesting for sure.

Rae~
May 22nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
For me, hot weather is worse. Yuck!

However, I think humidity might also play a role. In times of low humidity (like today, here - yay!) my hair is sleeker and much less frizzy than it is in high humidity. Since there's less frizz, at first glance in the mirror it sometimes *seems* a little more oily, but that's because I automatically associate "not frizzy" or "sleek" with "oily". It takes me a few seconds to realise that no, my hair isn't greasier, it's just flatter than usual. :)

Elainehali
May 22nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
>.> I donno about cold, but it does seem to get greasy with hormone "changes" The very same changes that make you feel cold cause your body directs more blood to internal organs.

Same time of the month I can't seem to stay warm same time I get zits and greasy hair.

Horray for that.