PDA

View Full Version : Need good hair trim (blunt) should I pay more?

Curlsgirl
August 19th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Here is my dilemma. I have been doing Feye's trimming method for quite a while but I think I am not doing very well at it as it's getting longer. I don't trust anyone that I know to cut it so I am thinking I may get the hem evened out at a salon. Do I need to pay $40 at the Aveda salon just for this or do you think a cheap "Great Clips" or "Super Cuts" would be okay if I tell them EXACTLY how much I want cut and show them how much that IS. Opinions please?

spidermom
August 19th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I'd go in and observe the stylists first. Pretend to look at style books.

Curlsgirl
August 19th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I'd go in and observe the stylists first. Pretend to look at style books.

What should I look for? Sounds like a silly question I guess :o

spidermom
August 19th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Well, you know, now that I think more about it, it can be hard to observe in most salons because there's noise, people in and out, some stylists are partially hidden, etc. I haven't done this in quite a long while, but when I did, I'd be watching the customers coming out of the stylist's chair, looking at the results, also listening and observing interactions as much as I could. Some stylists are very attentive to the customer in the chair and others are on and off the telephone, talking to other stylists, making jokes and talking about themselves a lot, and in general not really paying as much attention to the customer in the chair. You want to avoid those.

Ohio Sky
August 19th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I avoid salons at all cost (not because I hate stylists, more because it seems a waste of $$ to me). If you've got a good pair of haircutting scissors and a friend you trust, maybe you have someone else do it for you?

I'm not sure why you want to cut though, your hair is curly enough the hemline shouldn't have to be perfectly even. It looks fine even when straightened. :confused:

Curlsgirl
August 19th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I avoid salons at all cost (not because I hate stylists, more because it seems a waste of $$ to me). If you've got a good pair of haircutting scissors and a friend you trust, maybe you have someone else do it for you?

I'm not sure why you want to cut though, your hair is curly enough the hemline shouldn't have to be perfectly even. It looks fine even when straightened. :confused:

Thanks BUT if you notice the hemline is slightly curled under in the siggy pic. Also it is slightly longer on one side I think though again you can't tell in the pic. AND another thing is that I think I really NEED a good trim to step up the growth. The ends really are dry and it bothers me. I am not being picky, I honestly have been thinking about it for a while. I do want to get to waist but HEALTHY all the way down ya know? I may just pay the extra and have it done at my Aveda salon this time. I really trust her.

Curlsgirl
August 19th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Oh and I have NO friends I would trust with my hair :shudder:

Curlsgirl
August 19th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Well, you know, now that I think more about it, it can be hard to observe in most salons because there's noise, people in and out, some stylists are partially hidden, etc. I haven't done this in quite a long while, but when I did, I'd be watching the customers coming out of the stylist's chair, looking at the results, also listening and observing interactions as much as I could. Some stylists are very attentive to the customer in the chair and others are on and off the telephone, talking to other stylists, making jokes and talking about themselves a lot, and in general not really paying as much attention to the customer in the chair. You want to avoid those.

Oh and I HATE those kinds of salons too! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Good points!

Hey You
August 19th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I think it's worth spending money on a good cut. It made all the difference to my hair, in fact set it growing to this length in the first place. And if you're trying to grow your hair rather than maintain a shorter style, then you only need to go once a year or so, so the expense isn't that bad.

I admired the cut of my friend's comparatively short hair, so I went to her salon and asked who was best with long hair. My hairdresser is definitely worth the money, because he does actually understand the way my hair works and listens to me (I'll always be grateful to him for promising me "We're going to do this together - I won't cut ANYWHERE that you don't want me to." ) And a good cut seems to last longer than a bad one - i.e, you won't need to trim again so soon.

But then my hair is very straight, and so there's nowhere for misjudged snips to hide.

(My hairdresser's one fault is that he cannot seem to get the concept of a v-cut or tapering on hair this long at all- he does the layers amazingly well but always leaves the very back sort of square...)

Curlsgirl
August 19th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I think it's worth spending money on a good cut. It made all the difference to my hair, in fact set it growing to this length in the first place. And if you're trying to grow your hair rather than maintain a shorter style, then you only need to go once a year or so, so the expense isn't that bad.

I admired the cut of my friend's comparatively short hair, so I went to her salon and asked who was best with long hair. My hairdresser is definitely worth the money, because he does actually understand the way my hair works and listens to me (I'll always be grateful to him for promising me "We're going to do this together - I won't cut ANYWHERE that you don't want me to." ) And a good cut seems to last longer than a bad one - i.e, you won't need to trim again so soon.

But then my hair is very straight, and so there's nowhere for misjudged snips to hide.

(My hairdresser's one fault is that he cannot seem to get the concept of a v-cut or tapering on hair this long at all- he does the layers amazingly well but always leaves the very back sort of square...)Thanks, and if I were doing layers I would definitely go to a good salon! I tried the curly girl cut but it didn't really do enough. I just like it straight across in the back (maybe a slight U) so if I do wear it straighter it looks that way.

chrissy-b
August 19th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I would definitely find a stylist I trust and pay more money for someone who I feel comfortable with. I've been cutting my own hair for a very long time, but when I did go to a salon, I never had a problem with a stylist not listening to my requests (read: demands, after all, I am paying for a service), but I have had a problem with the quality of cuts I've received.

When I've gone to the cheaper places, I've ALWAYS had to go home and fix their mistakes. But with the more expensive stylist, I've always felt comfortable and have never needed to trim on my own after the cut. Ask around, find someone you feel will listen to you. It's better to spend a little more and feel good about your cut than to have to go home and be upset, or worse, have to pay another stylist to fix the other one's mistake.

misstwist
August 19th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I LOVED my Aveda salon until my hairdresser moved to California. She did exactly what I asked, or explained throughly and got permission if she thought something else would work better. When I first started growing out she was excited and acted like that was the best idea she had ever heard. I was glad to pay $40 for even the tiniest trim and she never pushed me to come in more often and never insisted on a blowdry when I didn't want it.

The gal she referred me to didn't listen as well and really tried to push me into layering. When I refused that she thinned my ends. I caught it after the first cut, but at that point it was either let her finish or cut off two inches to get rid of that.

On the other hand, at Great Clips they do exactly as I tell them to, don't try to wash my hair and don't charge me much.

Ultimately, I would still be going to Aveda if Michelle was still there because we had a really great relationship. If you trust your Aveda stylist and you have the $40 to spend, then have her trim your hair. If you are needing to economize, go to Great Clips and you will get exactly what you ask for.

Magicknthenight
August 19th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I think it depends on the stylist. I have had bad stylists MANY times and the one i found that is amazing works at great clips. I don't think i could spend 40 dollars on a teensy trim and not regret it later though.:p
My friend pays a lot to get her hair cut but often times says they did it wrong and she has to go back to get it fixed or somewhere else.
Just talk to the stylist before hand. If they just say "okay" and start cutting...then yea...maybe you should go somewhere else
But if they verify how much length you want cut off and actually understand they will probably do good.
You can ask many questions such as how they will do it and how much..
So i don't think it depends on what money you pay so much as the stylists knowledge of what you want and how to help you achieve it.
good luck!:)

Islandgrrl
August 19th, 2008, 04:03 PM
If it were me, I'd pony up the $$ for the Aveda salon and a familiar stylist. My reasoning is this: You're taking a chance with someone you don't know at all, who isn't familiar with your hair - it's a hit or miss thing. If they screw it up, you'll be in the chair at the Aveda salon anyway, so why not just start there and have some peace of mind?

I know, I'm a cynical thing....I can't help myself.

Chromis
August 19th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I would work on my self trim technique rather than trust a salon.

Eireann
August 19th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I didn't read all the replies, but DEFINITELY pay more for someone you trust. The last time I went to a cheapy place the guy seemed to want to prove himself and gave me the latest trendy layered cut, even when I told him I'm growing it out and wanted to keep the length. $40 is what you might pay for a hair toy.

FrannyG
August 19th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Well, if you didn't have a trusted hairstylist, I would suggest going to one of the cheaper salons. I have found that girls straight out of beauty school are more apt to cut off only what you tell them. They are more eager to make you happy than to do what they think they need to do, as some more experienced stylists often do.

However, since you do have such a good rapport with your stylist and you know that she will give you what you want, I say, what's an extra thirty bucks, to know that you'll be happy? :shrug:

Aqua Gal
August 19th, 2008, 05:36 PM
If you've already established a relationship with someone you trust at Aveda, it might be worth the extra money. It can be very nerve wracking to break-in someone new. However, it sounds like you are able to clearly communicate what you want,so that will probably increase the odds that you'll have good results elsewhere. When in doubt, listen to your gut feeling.

Curlsgirl
August 19th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I decided on the spur of the moment sort of on the way to my Mom's house to stop at Super Cuts and just sign up and watch them do hair. It was a quiet place and in a very good part of town (I have found sometimes that helps). Anyway, I told her what I wanted and she totally listened to me and probably thought I was crazy because all I wanted was a straight across trim but I showed her a picture, figured couldn't hurt. LOL. She actually pinned sections up as she trimmed which I have noticed they don't always do and I saw her in the mirror comparing each side to make sure it was even. I am VERY pleased. I got about 3/4 inches cut and my hair feels TOTALLY amazing on the ends. Oh and she cut it dry which was fine. I had blown it dry straight this last weekend and so I thought too that this would be a good time to go. You can better believe I got her card for next year :D

Whew, thanks for the tips. Not sure why but I was doing the straight-across Feye's trim but it kept getting more and more U-shaped and I really like mine almost straight across with perhaps a VERY slight curve on each side.

spidermom
August 19th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I'm glad there's a happy ending. When I trimmed my own, it ended up on a slant and gained an inch from one side to the other. At least it was a very evenly graduated slant--haha.

wintersun99
August 19th, 2008, 07:08 PM

jojo
August 19th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Another option is to go into a mans barbers, they hate cutting long hair in my experience and will only cut what you ask normally and there cheap! i used to go myself years ago and never had a bad experience with one!

goodenough
August 19th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I like my stylist ($30), because she has shoulder length hair herself, and she always cares about making me happy. I go three times a year, so it's not really that much money. And I trim my own in between if I want.

I thought it was cute last time, when I didn't want it blowdried, she did a dutch braid for me. It made her feel better to do a style:)

aries
August 19th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Hey there Curlsgirl....I take my husband with me and make him stand next to me and the stylist while she cuts my hair. After 2 years of this twice a year and the same stylist, she knows that she better cut exactly to a T the length I want taken off or else. He makes no if, ands or buts about it. I have been going to TGF and am on my 3rd year with the same stylist. I was so scared the first time I went because of bad cuts that I couldn't stand the thought of not having my husband there to watch like a hawk. He never left my side until she was done and he was happy.

Just my little story. By the way, if I feel uncomfortable for some reason when I go, even at this point in time he will still go with me and stay by my side.

Lots of hugs and good luck.

EvaSimone
August 20th, 2008, 01:09 AM
I am glad that Super Clips worked for you! :) I think cheaper chain salons are usually pretty good at listening, I had a really good experience with Great Clips when I got a trim in June.

NurseMama
August 20th, 2008, 01:24 AM
That is great that SuperCuts worked for you. IMO, the cheaper salons try harder to get repeat business so they tend to listen better. I have gotten some terrible $60+ cuts and some wonderful $12 cuts in my life.

Curlsgirl
August 20th, 2008, 05:54 AM
I still can't believe the difference this small trim made! I hope my hair will start growing now!

bex487
August 20th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Glad you found a good stylist! I love going to the student salon in my town, I find that students are eager to please and listen to EXACTLY what you want. Plus, it doesn't hurt that a cut is only $12!