PDA

View Full Version : Do you notice splits on other people

Pages : [1] 2

Saranne772
August 19th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I have noticed that I am very likely to notice split ends on random strangers. Am I the only one who does this?

Periwinkle
August 19th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I constantly S&D other people's hair in my head. /confession

Isilya
August 19th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I don't do it all the time, but if I'm on the bus/train/tram for a long time, the person in front of me is getting inspected. I look for splits, breakage, dryness and dye. I'm horrible like that :o

prosperina
August 19th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I do. Usually I only notice it in two situations though: if I'm sitting behind someone in the car, bus or train, church or auditorium, or if I'm walking behind students to look over their shoulder as they're working.

Sometimes it's almost like a car accident, you don't want to look, but you have to; the damage is that bad!

nucleardelusion
August 19th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Yes. :o Especially if they seem rude and are sitting in front of me.

I do it to my boyfriend too, but he asks me to. We're growing our hair out together and it provides me with extra calming "entertainment" when I'm done with my own hair. :p

akka naeda
August 19th, 2008, 12:59 PM
No, I'm not that interested in other people's hair.

spidermom
August 19th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I'm not big on evaluating other people's hair, either. However, if somebody is directly in front of me in line at the grocery store or something, I'll notice obvious splits. I was behind a woman recently. Her ends looked positively chewed up.

Finoriel
August 19th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Iīm not at all interested in the condition of other peopleīs hair. :shrug:
If it is in overall bad condition and totally fried, itīs not completely impossible that I notice itīs condition after a (probably long) while... but splits? Umm nope, never noticed that on a foreign head.

Elanor
August 19th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I don't do it all the time, but if I'm on the bus/train/tram for a long time, the person in front of me is getting inspected.

Haha, same here! :D

Nightshade
August 19th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I notice, not so much because I care (as I don't) but because I'm a very visually orientated person. I can go into an elevator, go up three floors and walk out being able to tell you what each person was wearing and what color eyes they had. What I probably COULDN'T tell you was why I was going up three floors to start with :rolleyes:

Also, when you're aware of something you tend to notice it more. When you expend a good deal of energy and thought on your own hair, I think it's a fairly natural response to be aware of the health, or the lack thereof, of someone else's hair.

So by the same token, while I do notice splits, I also do notice heads of amazingly healthy hair as well.

Kleis
August 19th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I don't naturally, so I suppose I never look that closely.

I'd also never do it deliberately. I'd be quite the hypocrite to be critical of someone else's splits, considering my own are constant, unending and plentiful--even though I am careful with my hair.

Dianyla
August 19th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I notice them constantly. However, it's not a judgment thing. I've got tons of my own splits, some of which are quite epic.

I just can't not see them. :shrug:

thankyousir74
August 19th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I notice them constantly. However, it's not a judgment thing. I've got tons of my own splits, some of which are quite epic.

I just can't not see them. :shrug:

Same here, especially in my high school classrooms where flat irons are a necessity.

dor3girl
August 19th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Girrrl, you aint the only one who notices! The sad part is, my husband & oldest son also notice splits & mullets quite readily. Have I been a bad influence on them?

dor3girl
August 19th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I notice, not so much because I care (as I don't) but because I'm a very visually orientated person. I can go into an elevator, go up three floors and walk out being able to tell you what each person was wearing and what color eyes they had. What I probably COULDN'T tell you was why I was going up three floors to start with :rolleyes:

Also, when you're aware of something you tend to notice it more. When you expend a good deal of energy and thought on your own hair, I think it's a fairly natural response to be aware of the health, or the lack thereof, of someone else's hair.

So by the same token, while I do notice splits, I also do notice heads of amazingly healthy hair as well.

Ditto--it's not malicious or obsessive, it's just what it is. Like when you are pregnant & start to notice all the OTHER pregnant people around *giggle*

daydreamer08
August 19th, 2008, 02:45 PM
i do it all the time...:whistle: i feel bad sometimes because i even do it to my friends! but i still love them even though i cant stop staring at their damaged ends.

TheSpottedCow
August 19th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I tend to notice really tiny details of visual things. Even when I don't care about the person. I do take note of things like the fabric of their clothes, or the color of their eyes. I definately notice splits on people's hair... But like I said, it's not even like I sit there and try to analyze a persons hair, skin, or clothes to be shallow. I just take it all in quickly when I see them. I can usually just briefly look at someones hair and take in a lot about it.

harley mama
August 19th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I don't really get close enough to see other people's split ends.

Leisha
August 19th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I voted "occasionally" but it's more like "very rarely"; i just didn't want to vote "never" because it does happen.

Like Isilya I guess, for example on the bus or tram, or just if they are very obvious/noticeable.

But usually I don't pay that much attention to other people('s hair) :o.

ladystar
August 19th, 2008, 03:12 PM
occasionally! But I Don't look for them! Only if there right next to me and one happens to pop at me!

ZaBasDa
August 19th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I don't look for them, but if someone is in front of me and I happen to be looking at the back of their head I will notice if they have major splitage.

AJoifulNoise
August 19th, 2008, 03:51 PM
99% of the time the answer is no. The only time I see them is if someone says "look I have a split! *shoves in face*"

Madam Librarian
August 19th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Ha! I am so ignorant of my own splits that a split end on a strangers head would probably have to jump out of it's follicle and poke me in the eye before I'd notice. ;)

C_Bookworm
August 19th, 2008, 05:06 PM
back when i was in college i would get incredibly distracted if the person in front of my had split ends. just itching to do a little s&d. lol

Marcipangris
August 20th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Ha! I am so ignorant of my own splits that a split end on a strangers head would probably have to jump out of it's follicle and poke me in the eye before I'd notice. ;)

Haha, yes, I can't even find my own splits either! :o

vampodrama
August 20th, 2008, 03:14 AM
I'm generally not the one to notice other people (what? there are other people in the world???) but I do remember one occasion years ago when I was in university - there was this girl sitting in front of me in class and she had long, darkish hair, and MASSIVE splits. her hair was literally white and broken two inches in the ends. it was so awful. I wanted to grab scissors and chop the end of her ponytail off, would have done her a favour... :cool:

Calanthe
August 20th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Well, yes, I do. Espicially on other longhairs.

Solange
August 20th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Only if they are so numerous that they have an effect on the overall appearance of the hair.

JessTheMess
August 20th, 2008, 05:13 AM
I notice it more on people who have straightened their hair. But I always pick out who has blow dried their hair or chemical dyed their hair. I always want to grab them and point them in this direction, but they would most likely look at me wierd

Tap Dancer
August 20th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Split ends are tiny and I don't have the best eyesight...

sexyjacksparrow
August 20th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Occasionally. If someone if stood in front of my in a queue then I will probably look. I don't think I really noticed before coming on here though.

30isthenewblack
August 21st, 2008, 05:08 AM
I have become more conscious of split ends & tapering since I joined the forum but I don't judge people on their hair. It has made me realise that a lot of people have damaged hair & there may be a tendancy for people on this forum to be overally critical of their own hair. On the other hand, I do have a train ride for 40 minutes & sometimes there is nothing better to do than observe people on the train hehe.

Bene
August 21st, 2008, 08:13 AM
yes! and it takes every ounce of strength to not bring it to their attention and/or try to snip them out for them :o

ChatoyantLocks
August 21st, 2008, 08:57 AM
I have never really noticed splits on other people before, but it never occurred to me to look. Now, however. . . :ponder:

kaorifun
August 21st, 2008, 09:40 AM
Hah, yes, sometimes I just can't help it!

freznow
August 21st, 2008, 09:48 AM
I don't really pay that much attention.

One day I was in gym class and my friend snatched up my braid and said "Wow you have like no split ends!" Well, I do... I have tons. I guess they're just hard to spot cuz my hair is so fine?

Kleis
August 21st, 2008, 11:41 AM
yes! and it takes every ounce of strength to not bring it to their attention and/or try to snip them out for them :o

Uh, yeah. I highly recommend you continue resisting those impulses. :lol:

For the former, they undoubtedly already know. Split end trimming or other preventative measures generally helps but doesn't eradicate. This is why I get annoyed at the whole, "OMG, so-and-so has so many split ends!" Uh, yeah? I have a flaky scalp, too. Wanna tell me about THAT while you're at it?

For the latter, well, think about the general reaction to someone heading at you with scissors. :nono: (If you have permission, it's another story. It's rather nice to have someone else handle the chore every now and then!)

Chromis
August 21st, 2008, 12:49 PM
Oooh hahahaaha, I only wish my eyesight was that good! I can find mine, but only if I am looking closely. I do notice if others have very damaged hair just because I notice things, but I can't tell you if they have splits or it's just some choppy layered style half the time.

socks
August 21st, 2008, 01:55 PM
I usually only notice splits on other people if they're right in front of me and their splits are really obvious, but my eyesight is bad like Chromis's and I would probably notice more splits on other people if I wasn't so nearsighted.

Phalaenopsis
August 22nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
Occasionally
I see it faster on someone with dark hair than with someone with light hair.

winter_star
August 23rd, 2008, 05:59 AM
I do all the time. Since joining lhc I can't help but notice the condition of peoples hair. I'm never judging their hair, I'm just very interested. I'm also a very visual person and notice many small things.

Shadow
December 16th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Normally only If they have dark hair and Im sitting behind them on the bus or something :D

Ryanne
December 16th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Occasionally, when someone is right in front of me.

burns_erin
December 16th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I definitely notice splits, and am just anal enough that in people who are close to me, I will S&D them.

Anje
December 16th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I notice, if I happen to be standing quite near to them for some reason. It makes me want to S&D them! (Of course, I'm one of those people who wants to pick at and groom others, whether it's splits, ingrown hairs, zits, etc. I'm a little strange that way.)

I'm with Dianyla, though. There's little judgment in noticing other people's splits, unless it's just epicly poorly-kept hair. I have plenty of my own, and I notice them and want to snip them just as much.

Copasetic
December 16th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Sometimes i do. If i am sitting right behind someone, and have nothing else to occupy my attention, I find myself looking at their hair, and I will occasionally check and see if they have any splits.

Alia
December 16th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I can see fried, raggedy ends, but not splits...I'd have to be staring, creepily intent :eyebrows:.

Snowblood
December 16th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I´m not really interested in other people´s hair condition, but I do notice splits on strangers ocassionally, when there are right in front of me (waiting line in a super market, for example ^^).

Drynwhyl
December 16th, 2008, 02:38 PM
not really, only if they are REALLY noticable. I notice a lot on friends/classmates, and I'm all like:
"can I give you a trim?" xD
*freak*

Dreamernz
December 16th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Yup...lol but also I just recently began fretting over them in my own hair too and I guess I want to know my enemy :D

Duchess of Erat
December 18th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Only if it's really bad... Like Alia I'm more likely to notice fried, raggedy ends, than splits.

~GypsyCurls~
December 18th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I don't think I've ever noticed splits specifically...I do pay a lot of attention (obsessed much? :P) to others' hair though...but not consciously!

joyjoy
December 19th, 2008, 12:12 AM
My eyesight just isn't good enough to notice other peoples's split ends. I need a super bright light just to notice my own. However, I do notice the general condition of other peoples hair.

Debra83
December 19th, 2008, 12:22 AM
I'm so pooped these days, I'm lucky to notice other PEOPLE!!!

BranwenWolf
December 19th, 2008, 01:33 AM
I do quite frequently. My school seems to have a lot of hair bleachers and straighteners, so I see a LOT of hair that's been fried on something.

It might be because I'm short and usually eye level with the ends of people's hair.

Comfrey
December 19th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I'm so pooped these days, I'm lucky to notice other PEOPLE!!!
Oh dear how true LOL I'm the same.
But I will say that split ends have been my only hair paranoia over the years.

My daughter has glorious hair. Long, thick wavy, strawberry blond. If I can persuade her I'll take a pic.

But when she was a teen she used to rake her hair with plastic brushes and her ends were so dry you could almost hear her hair screaming. Luckily she has so much of it, it never looked as bad as it should have done.

So, perhaps splits are the only thing I would notice

Loviatar
December 19th, 2008, 03:43 AM
I do, but then I travel by Tube every morning and night, and people stand very close. I also notice splits all the time on a girl at work. From a way off her hair looks great, but close up, it's fuzzy, split and damaged all to heck. I just couldnt keep my hair like that. I suspect hers is straightener damage (she even has a pair in her desk.)

Hatsumomo
December 19th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Yeah, I work with the public and I notice everyone with splits, everyone with a dyejob....god I'm terrible for it!

KnightsLady
December 19th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Nope. Other people's hair is their own business. I only look if they wish to discuss it and are pointing out splits, but this rarely happens.

Arctic_Mama
December 19th, 2008, 04:05 AM
I notice, but I try not to. I'm getting better at spotting damage on other people's hair just as a function of being more aware of my own :shrug:

Haith
December 19th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I notice, but I think its just because I am more interested in hair than the average person. But aren't all of us at LHC? I sometimes want to give advice if I see people who are frustrated with their hair (too much product, too much blowdrying) but I never say anything unsolicited because I think it would probably be rude.

noelgirl
December 19th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I do, but then I travel by Tube every morning and night, and people stand very close. I also notice splits all the time on a girl at work. From a way off her hair looks great, but close up, it's fuzzy, split and damaged all to heck. I just couldnt keep my hair like that. I suspect hers is straightener damage (she even has a pair in her desk.)

The other day I saw a woman on the train like that - her hair was about shoulder length and very styled-looking, and from a distance it looked nice. But then she sat down in front of me and I could see so many splits just sticking right out. Reminds me of the quote from Clueless about a Monet - looks great from a distance, but up close it's all a mess.

Siava
December 20th, 2008, 12:11 AM

Yep yep! A co-worker just cut her hair. It was a little past shoulder length and now it's a flippy bob. It looks so much better now because a good portion was horribly fried from daily straightening.

Sometimes I notice splits in others. Usually it's when it's badly damaged like mentioned above or on dark hair. Other times I don't pay much attention.

Juneii
December 20th, 2008, 12:35 AM
evil as it may be, one of my friends got dumped by his girlfriend and was crying on my lap.
he had long hair. sadly, I was more concerned about the horrifying amount of split ends and damage than his tears. I try to console myself that he was over dramatizing the whole event [he apparently still had feelings for his ex and when he told his current she promptly broke up with him], but I figure I'm just too superficial and cold-hearted.

honeybee87
December 23rd, 2008, 08:36 PM
^aw haha...you should have had the scissors next to you snipping away while he was crying. Well hopefully he feels better soon.

Anyway I've seen a couple of girls with TONS of split ends. They have colored treated hair with highlights and the hair looks really dead! And the split ends are really noticeable. There is either one or more splits on one piece of strand. Ew I just want to cut their hair and give them a nice deep hair mask treatment!

Speckla
December 23rd, 2008, 09:14 PM
I'm too close or you're too close if I can see your split-ends! ;)
________
Roor bong (http://roorbongs.org)

Forlorn Reverie
December 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
My eyesight is horrible, so I never notice splits on other people. This is probably a good thing, I'm guessing. I have enough trouble resisting the urge to straighten ties, or offer my lint brush to my coworker who wears dark clothes with white cat fur all over it (and if I can see it, you know it's bad!).

Ndnlady
December 23rd, 2008, 09:40 PM
I occasionally do, only because I'm too busy trying not to notice!:p If I'm sitting or in one place for too long I start to notice people's hair and the condition it's in, thinking....hmmm I wonder if she/he has ever tried coconut oil or olive oil?:D And then I can't even watch when people pull out a brush or comb and start ripping through thier hair!:bigeyes:

Lara1
December 23rd, 2008, 10:22 PM
I notice only if I sit behind someone or the person is close enough to me in order to see the hair.

Twitter
December 23rd, 2008, 11:24 PM
I only notice if they're really bad, or the person's hair looks really processed overall.

MadHatter
December 24th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Sometimes I'll notice. But it really depends on the person's hair color and the lighting. Splits show up better on fair hair in sunlight, I've noticed.

zen_oven
December 24th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I really only notice if they are so bad that they make the person's hair look frizzy. Otherwise I usually don't notice other people's splits.

getoffmyskittle
December 24th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I notice them if I am in a position where I stare at their hair for more than about half a second. Like in lines.

Aisha25
December 24th, 2008, 09:45 PM
If someone is standing right in front of me then yeah I do but I dont go looking for it:D Last week I seen this girl standing in front of me and I saw her hairs oh my my heart and my hair cried for her hairs it was so damaged from bleach (she had natural dark brown hairs), that pieces of them just went falling off without even touching them it was horrible to see I wanted to help her make them better.

Lixie
December 26th, 2008, 12:19 AM
If there are lots of split and the person is in front of me for a long time then yes, I do sometimes notice them.

Cryspatus
December 26th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Before this winter I never noticed splits on other people's hair. But now that I'm thinking about my own hair more often I'm also thinking more about other peoples hair...Especially when I'm bored I will take notice of those things.. I hope they don't think i'm weird for looking at the ends of their hair :-x

Rose J.
December 28th, 2008, 05:10 PM
On friends, sometimes, on strangers, never! I've never thought about it.
I think, with this poll, though, you may have created for me a new obsession! :rolleyes:

AnimaSola3o4
December 28th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I don't have nearly good enough eyes to be able to spot splits on other people! I'd be amazed if I did though. I can hardly see them in my own hair! ;)

venividibxtchy
December 29th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Yes, and I also notice when people don't wash their hair -- which is ofttimes worse.

Greasy hair is disgusting.

littlemiss
December 31st, 2008, 09:27 AM
I have a male friend that has a beard and I notice splits ends in it constantly!! I get the scissors out and help when he lets me!!:p

viking_quest
December 31st, 2008, 10:52 AM
When I pay attention to other people's hair I can find all of the splits. Although I tend to do this more with my friends than strangers. I've made a game where I count the splits on my friends that sit in front of me in a boring class.

Paigle
December 31st, 2008, 02:56 PM
Normally, I don't care enough to notice. However, there is someone who had very beautiful hair. I notice that on a man. ;)
When I met him last month, his hair looked horrible...according to other people, it hasn't changed at all. :confused:
I was sure, he bleached it...don't know him good enough to ask him, though.

Can split ends change the colour of one's hair?

gthlvrmx
March 20th, 2012, 11:45 AM
All the time! oh my god. thank you LHC.

lovinglocks
March 20th, 2012, 11:51 AM
It's usually when I see someone's hair in the sun, I can see their splits... Everywhere... Why wouldn't they just get a trim?!?!

Carolyn
March 20th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Another Zombie thread is brought back from the dead! But what the hell, the topic is still a good one. I think those of us who enjoy long hair also enjoy checking out other people's hair too. I do it all the time. So of course I notice splits or lack thereof. I also notice things like facial hair and underarm hair too. Not saying that I care, I'm just saying I notice.

Carrie Ingalls
March 22nd, 2012, 10:09 AM
I notice fairly frequently, and sometimes it pains me when their hair is seemingly nothing but splits and damage.

I had s&d another person's hair in real life because I had noticed the splits were so bad. Though it wasn't a random stranger, it was one of Grace's friends.

Amber_Maiden
March 22nd, 2012, 10:23 AM
Yes. If I am sitting behind them in class or on the bus. I also notice my husbands split ends- in his beard!

Bedhead
March 22nd, 2012, 10:57 AM
I voted "When they are pointed out to me". I actually didn't know what a split-end was until a roommate in university showed me hers. But I have noticed that whatever I'm struggling with in my hair, I tend to notice the lack of it in other people's healthy hair.

Carissamarie08
March 22nd, 2012, 11:15 AM
I never notice.

Springgrl
March 22nd, 2012, 11:34 AM
I notice them all the time! I always sit in the back during my classes, and I get bored. I start looking at peoples hair in front of me haha.

My husband gets them in his beard as well! I always cut them out for him haha.

BrightEyes
March 22nd, 2012, 12:09 PM
If I'm sitting behind someone for a long time I notice splits, or I'll admire how healthy and beautiful their hair is. But usually as I go about my day I don't pay too much attention.

sfgirl
March 22nd, 2012, 11:43 PM
I notice extremely damaged hair.

lundmir
March 23rd, 2012, 12:13 AM
I do! I don't say anything unless they ask me about it, though.

battles
March 23rd, 2012, 01:06 AM
It took me 22 years to even find out what a split looked like. :lol:

vintage88
March 23rd, 2012, 09:01 AM
I do, especially sitting behind someone on the bus!

Kayla Nyx
March 23rd, 2012, 06:30 PM
I notice it all the time at school. It urks me sooooo bad! I just cant help it. :p

hyettf16
March 25th, 2012, 05:05 PM
If they are sitting in front of me. I can only remember once though.

Perelka74
March 25th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I don't look that close

2peasinapod
March 25th, 2012, 05:31 PM
No, but then again I am horrible at noticing the condition of other people's hair unless it is seriously fried.

PixxieStix
March 25th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Alas, I do notice through no fault of my own. I just notice things, and that happens to be one of them. If it is someone I know/like, I imagine S&Ding or how much nicer their hair would look after a trim, but it never stays in my mind.

Siiri
March 28th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I never notice splits. I do notice occasionally if someone has extremely frizzy hair, but I don't know if it's damage. Some people just like to style their hair to make it look kind of damaged and tangled. It always puzzles me when people say they notice splits on other people, wouldn't you have to look like 20 cm away to see them?

auburntressed
March 28th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I can't recall ever being close enough to someone else's hair to be capable seeing splits, with the exception of my mom. And her hair never splits, even though she constantly subjects it to heat damage.

Khiwanean
March 28th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Not really, unless I'm in very close proximity to them. I'm more likely to notice that hair is damaged or dry by the texture than the presence of actual splits.

Bianca
March 28th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Voted Occasionally. When on the train or bus most often :)

nobeltonya
March 28th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Occasionally.. much more now than before LHC. Of course, splits specifically probably not so much... I notice damaged, dry or mistreated hair a lot more now.. now I know what to look for. :D I'm not going to go up to someone with a magnifying glass looking for splits.. but I may happen to see them if I'm sitting close enough? *shrugs*

Mithgarthsormr
March 29th, 2012, 09:26 AM
I always notice split ends on my friends and boyfriend (when I have one)...
I nearly always offer them to do a microtrim for them :D...

Anywhere
March 29th, 2012, 01:10 PM
All the time. It bothers me, expecially when they also notice and they start to pick at / rip off their split ends. How on earth would ripping off the split help? :eek:

Lyytikka
March 29th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I definitely notice spits on other people especially if its a sunny day.

Tisiloves
March 29th, 2012, 08:13 PM
All the time, autistic visual fixation, got to love it. unless you have to move because the person next to you on the bus has a bad coloured coat.

Diamond.Eyes
March 29th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Not really. I don't feel very nice comparing my hair to others, especially my friends. I know I have healthy hair, so I would a feel little arrogant or condescending looking through other peoples hair; trying to find flaws.

SarahKayfa
March 29th, 2012, 09:19 PM
I'm nearsighted, so I don't see other people's splits. I do notice generally poor condition in passing, but I don't really care too much about other people's hair.

CorinaS
March 30th, 2012, 03:17 AM
Not only do I see them, but I have an obsessive desire to trim them!!!

melusine963
April 15th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I notice them more than I used to, because I now pay more attention to people's hair in general.

EtherealDoll
April 15th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I notice them but only if the person is standing close to me because I have quite a bad eyesight.

AcornMystic
April 15th, 2012, 10:22 PM

Haha, this is me, so I felt the need to quote. However, I will add my own contribution and say that I voted "occasionally", because I can`t let my awareness of hair over-ride my objectives at hand and will usually just take in briefly the overall health of their hair since that is more what I am drawn to when acknowledging people these days. If I am not occupied with trying to remember what I am doing, I will observe with more curious intent the hair of others and when I am in a situation where I am close (line-ups, seated behind, etc..) I will do so. I have ADD so it is dangerous for me to get too distracted by the hair of others, and I tend to have moments of selective memory so those paired are not such a good combo. :o

I usually just purse my lips when I see damaged hair. I`ve just been so conditioned to silken thread heads of hair I suppose. I don`t judge them per se, just wonder if they are aware of how damaged their hair is and that there are easy ways to fix it, or if they are going for the look on purpose. I will admit though, and I can`t believe I`m saying this, but some people can pull off the really damaged hair well, if it is moisturized, just like some people can pull off dreads. It looks like fluffy cotton candy or soft pulled wool. Kinda like 80s rocker hair. I just recently saw an example of this on youtube. She had white and lavender coloured hair with a shag of top layers and longish lower length. I`ll see if I can find the link...

Here we go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epy-B_CZHW8&feature=relmfu

PurplePenguin
April 15th, 2012, 10:26 PM
I'm not sure I even know what a split end looks like really. I know my mom has showed me them before but I don't really notice them on people without them being pointed out. Hmm I think I'll go search through DH's hair tonight to see if I can find any though I probably won't, he has the best hair.

Majala
April 16th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Not really, unless they are pointed out to me or the person sits in front of me, has dark hair and really a lot of splits/damage. Right now I can remember only 2 instances of seeing split ends on a stranger, both time it was on black hair, where the lighter colored splits are really apparent.

MinderMutsig
April 16th, 2012, 07:20 AM
I hardly ever notice them although I have been told I have damaged hair by others. Honestly I think a lot of people see frizz and think it's damage and splits when in reality the hair is undamaged but just wavy or curly which is the case with my hair. I know what a split looks like and I regularly S&D and microtrim. My hair is virgin and I don't heatstyle. I almost never have split ends yet I regularly get the comment that my hair is damaged and/or covered in split ends and I should go get a trim and lay off the heatstyling.

Based on my experience I seriously doubt that those who say they see them "all the time" see what they think they see. Someone would have to have seriously course hair or complete trees of splits to be able to see them from the distance one usually keeps from others.

metricfuture
April 16th, 2012, 08:12 AM
I honestly don't think I ever have. But, then, I have pretty crappy eyesight, so I'd say splits are pretty low on the list of "things I never notice that other people do".:)

clairenewcastle
April 16th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Not only do I see them, but I have an obsessive desire to trim them!!!

I've exactly the same urge..........:)

RedRendezvous
April 16th, 2012, 10:40 AM
It was actually a lack on splits on two of my friends that made me want to change my ways. That was when I found the LHC.

Mina17
April 16th, 2012, 07:07 PM
I never notice splits on other people. I try not to get that close to other people :eek:.

rock007junkie
April 17th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I don't mean to but whenever I'm on the bus I tend to focus on other people's hair. I mean, it's right in front of me. I almost feel like taking out my scissors and cutting some of their splits or just telling them to get a trim.

CheekAllison
April 18th, 2012, 08:46 PM
In church is the worst place for me. In the choir I sit behind a girl with shoulder length hair that's naturally kinky curly. She has fried her hair with the flat iron. It makes me cringe... I've been on a heat free strike for about six months and it just makes me hurt... Her hair would be so pretty if she would take care of it and let it grow.
...Oh and anyone with longish hair who sits in front of me in any class is being scrutinized.

HintOfMint
April 23rd, 2012, 11:05 AM
Occasionally, but it's out of boredom, not judgment.

Golden_Valkyrie
June 11th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Unfortunately I do, as a symptom of a strange superiority complex I seem to have developed. I see very little people with healthy hair and pride myself on the fact I have never found, in the past three years, any split ends in my waist length hair, and therefore I tend to be very cheeky and assess the hair condition of strangers. I'll admit it is often to make myself feel better!

Kittykins
June 12th, 2012, 05:17 AM
I notice splits on my boyfriend's hair, but I often play with his hair and S&D it for him. Apart from that no.

Ticky
June 12th, 2012, 12:48 PM
No, actually.

GlassEyes
June 12th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Unfortunately I do, as a symptom of a strange superiority complex I seem to have developed. I see very little people with healthy hair and pride myself on the fact I have never found, in the past three years, any split ends in my waist length hair, and therefore I tend to be very cheeky and assess the hair condition of strangers. I'll admit it is often to make myself feel better!

If you haven't seen a single split in that long, it's a touch likely because your hair has broken off at the split. Unless you have super hair, or search and destroy them off.

I only notice if I'm right behind someone's head, like in class, and only if I'm actually looking for them.

faellen
June 12th, 2012, 01:10 PM
"When they are pointed out to me"

Usually I don't get close enough. Plus most of the people I know have short hair!

I have splits, man I hate the fact that other people can probably notice them.

based goddess
June 12th, 2012, 01:30 PM
OH YES! I'm fascinated by hair and notice every little thing.

MintChocChip
June 12th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Yep, I'll notice if someone has very bad splits (the sort of ones where it's hard not to notice) but other than that not really. When I eye up other people's hair it's normally to ogle their length (in particular I like looking for waist length hair on other people/strangers as that's my goal :D)

leylusha
June 13th, 2012, 12:17 AM
If I purposely looked for them, I would notice, but the only time they draw my attention is chemically lightened hair with darker outgrown roots. The ends often have a haze of little splits and white dots poking out. I remember when I was growing out my hair to trim off a similar color treated ends disaster!

Elanadi
June 13th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I usually notice them, I don't know why, because I am not normally a detail-oriented person. But I like hair, so I usually look at people's hair, and split ends seem to really stick out to me!

EvanescentSylph
June 13th, 2012, 12:31 PM
It really depends on how close the person is to me and how long I am stuck there. Let me illustrate with an exmple - if I go to the shop to buy something, I don't really have the time to look around, as I'm focussed on what i have to do, but, if I'm stuck in a bus for, say, an hour or so, my eyes will naturally wander to other people and, of course, their hair. Somehow, I'm more prone to notice if the person has split ends than if their hair is in a good condition. Though, what I hate the most about noticing split ends on other people is the fact that they bring me back to the harsh reality and remind me that my hair isn't in a much better shape. As it is, I'm having a serious split end infestation, and I'm pretty sure that another bigger trim (5 - 6 inches) is in store for me, once I will have gotten completely fed up with the way it is.

Lady Neeva
June 13th, 2012, 01:12 PM
If the light setting serves, then yes. And if they bother to stand still for longer than time's allowance.

Garnetgem
January 21st, 2016, 02:48 AM
Sometimes but only if they have a sea of splits then its hard not to notice.

TheGray
January 21st, 2016, 03:51 PM
I'm often on the lookout for how I want to style my hair when it gets longer, which translates into observing the hair of people all around me! Definitely notice it from time to time, as well as when people have really nice hair

Sarahlabyrinth
January 21st, 2016, 04:39 PM
I don't go looking for them on people - I usually will notice damaged hair though if it is in front of me in church or in the line at the grocery store, when I have time to stare at it. Sometimes I have to fight the urge to offer hair care tips..... It's none of my business how other people treat their hair :)

lapis_lazuli
January 21st, 2016, 04:40 PM
I would if I were looking for them and lighting permitted. I don't try to judge people for them though. Everyone gets splits from time to time and I'd be a hypocrite if I went around pointing out the flaws in everyone's hair. I've got problems of my own to worry about :)

sanari
January 21st, 2016, 05:42 PM
I am not very observant of other people. It is a failing of mine.

yahirwaO.o
January 21st, 2016, 11:25 PM
Not really splits, but I would notice super damage hair because it's fairly easy to recognize it. And damage hair usually has splits so yeah only in that case!

Groovy Granny
January 22nd, 2016, 11:24 AM
Never....mostly I look at color, length, styling, and condition....as any addicted longhair does ...right?! :o

TatsuOni
January 22nd, 2016, 11:34 AM
All the time!

lapis_lazuli
January 22nd, 2016, 02:03 PM
Never....mostly I look at color, length, styling, and condition....as any addicted longhair does ...right?! :o

Right! I'm with you, Groovy Granny! :thumbsup:

pastina
January 22nd, 2016, 02:32 PM
One time I was talking to my husband and I suddenly noticed that *one* hair was twisted away from the rest of his mustache.... and that one stray hair had a HORRIBLE split. And then I went and grabbed a pair of scissors and had at it!! :scissors:

...I doubt I'd get up that close to anyone else to notice, and if I did, I'm sure I wouldn't say or do anything.

I do notice when someone's hair is damaged, though, especially when it's due to a badly-done dye job. I'm so careful with my color and take such pride in the fact that I do it myself that I'm particularly sensitive to fried heads of brightly colored hair.

Platzhalter
January 22nd, 2016, 02:49 PM
Being fairly short-sighted (with no glasses most of the time) and hardly getting close enough to strangers' hair... nope, never notice them.

parkmikii
January 23rd, 2016, 11:12 AM
Occasionally I do, for example when I stay in a queue and I'm close enough to the person, mostly I notice the multitude of white dots at their ends XD

PurpleKitty11
April 21st, 2016, 02:16 PM
haha yes all the time! it drives me nuts

papayatree
April 21st, 2016, 02:45 PM
I only notice when it is pointed out. I can't really tell what a split is from the rest of the bunch.

lapushka
April 21st, 2016, 03:16 PM
I don't get close enough to other people to notice. :)

Garnetgem
April 21st, 2016, 03:19 PM
Since i have been doing S&D i tend to notice others splits now...my eyes seem to scan automatically...quite a bad habit really!

Kiiruna
April 21st, 2016, 03:20 PM
Guilty as charged! :D

browneyedsusan
April 21st, 2016, 03:25 PM
Please!
I notice things like their sparkling personality or awesome sense of humor. I sometimes notice a fun color, or shaved side on a woman, but not splits. Nope. I don't have the desire to look that closely at someone's hair. :)

meteor
April 21st, 2016, 03:47 PM
Please!
I notice things like their sparkling personality or awesome sense of humor. I sometimes notice a fun color, or shaved side on a woman, but not splits. Nope. I don't have the desire to look that closely at someone's hair. :)

Same here! :D

Unless a person specifically asks me to scan their hair for damage or do some S&D for them, I wouldn't look for/see any splits. :eye: :lol:
The same applies to minor "issues" like frizz. I know some folks seem to worry about frizz a lot and invest a lot of effort and products to combat that, but honestly, it's pretty natural in many (humid/windy...) conditions/situations for human hair, and I'm pretty sure nobody notices or worries about it much on others. :sun:

Cg
April 21st, 2016, 03:57 PM
When damage is obvious, it's pretty hard to ignore.

Horrorpops
April 21st, 2016, 08:16 PM
I never notice split ends, however I do notice general hair condition and it's pretty easy to spot damaged vs healthy hair! It isn't something I focus or dwell on haha because its none of my business, that would be pretty weird. But I think it's just a part of general observation for me, like hair or eye colour. :)

summergame
April 22nd, 2016, 02:23 AM
I do notice splits on other persons and it irritates me, don't know why :P. I would like to cut the damaged hair of the person when I see it!

casiopeia
April 22nd, 2016, 07:35 AM
If the hair is not about 50 % or more split, it isn't evident. My sister has about 70% of her hair split and it isn't noticeable if I don't check it out closely. I think it's because her hair is light colored.

MlleMC
April 22nd, 2016, 09:23 AM
I don't usually get close enough to people's hair to notice them. Even when I do hairstyles on friends, I don't see them. Though most of my friends have much shorter hair, so they likely have much less split ends than I do.

Mavi
April 22nd, 2016, 08:40 PM
I have a terrible habit of being distracted in lectures by the splits of the people in front or beside me. The itch to search and destroy random strangers is fierce sometimes :p

Frankenstein
April 23rd, 2016, 11:11 PM
Splits specifically, no not really. Damage though, I do notice occasionally. Sometimes it's hard not to :shrug:

Jessiejeb
April 24th, 2016, 09:31 PM
yes - all time and want to help them fix it !!

mermaid lullaby
April 24th, 2016, 10:10 PM
I really don't bother to look. Other peoples hair doesn't interest me that much. Sorry, I'm kinda a let down. Although, I do like helping people with hair advice. Just how I think, I guess.

JollyAlly
April 25th, 2016, 06:35 AM
Rarely, if ever. My own split ends bother me way more.

endersworld
April 25th, 2016, 07:36 AM
I notice other people's hair damage all the time...usually it results in me just itching to try and fix it, but it's not my hair, so it's really not actually my business if they want to blowfry it within an inch of its life. So many people here have atrocious hair...

yahirwaO.o
April 28th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Splits specifically, no not really. Damage though, I do notice occasionally. Sometimes it's hard not to :shrug:

Oh yes, there are some ladies out there that have really unhappy mistreated hair. :( .... and I can't help noticing that.

I only notice bad split ends on bottle blonde or ombre girls. Bleach, heat styled or both are so easy to catch once its nearly my eyes!

joannanuisance
April 28th, 2016, 08:29 PM
I don't notice, I don't pay close enough attention to other people's hair, I guess.

this thread is gonna make me kind of paranoid now though, I know my hair isn't that bad and I do try to keep on top of things when I can but like...I feel like I'm already being scrutinised enough as is, it's just one more thing to wonder if I'm being judged for, haha...

lithostoic
April 29th, 2016, 10:21 AM
I would have to be millimeters from someone's hair to notice splits. Idk how you guys do it.

Wusel
April 29th, 2016, 01:29 PM

ME TOO!!! :rollin:

Garnetgem
April 29th, 2016, 04:49 PM

Yes me too if i see splits on others i instantly have the urge to S&D them.....its torture not being able to cut those splits off!

dancingfrog
April 30th, 2016, 09:42 PM
I kinda do ... Depends how bored I am and what head presents itself at that moment.

I work in a group home for adults with disabilities and we as staff help everybody with anything they can't do themselves. So hair care start to finish is part of a workday. One of the ladies has beautiful ringlets and as I learn more here at LHC for myself I keep an eye on things that apply to her too. (She lets me try new braids, buns etc :cheese:) Another staff uses this Brillo pad like bun maker on this lady's hair and I just about cry when I see it. It causes horrific damage .. Working up to being allowed to S&D the damage!

Lavendersugar
May 3rd, 2016, 03:15 PM
I notice everyone's hair. I tend to cringe at over processed hair or neglected hair. Split ends make me want to pull out the scissors.

augustana
May 4th, 2016, 04:53 AM
Always... I am paranoid about my own hair so make sure to check out other people's lol

Angelica
May 7th, 2016, 05:21 AM
Yes I notice it all the time. Only on dark haired women though, I don't notice it on blondes. Some of the splits are so bad. It is a shame really because sometimes it looks as if they have actually got nice hair, it could be from straighteners (some seem obsessed about straightening hair) and would have to lose a good number of inches to get it sorted.

Arctic
May 7th, 2016, 06:39 AM
At some point of time I have voted "occasionally", but I haven't commented. I would now change it to never. I do notice hair in general, and I notice if someone has damaged looking hair, but individual splits? Nope. I would need to get pretty close to see them, due to my eyesight.

wispywinnie
May 13th, 2016, 03:14 PM
After having like an extra amount of splits from years and years of heat damage, I can pick them out on anyone

Whirled_peas
June 10th, 2016, 07:25 PM
I never pay attention to anyones hair. I try not to stare or notice things like that.

Entangled
June 15th, 2016, 10:08 PM
I misread it and voted for "when they're pointed out to me" when I meant "when they're pointed at me" (silly, I know). I was thinking about girls sitting in front of me at a desk. I live in blonde bleach and highlight land, so I see a lot of girls with really damaged hair. Some heads make me really grateful for the condition of my hair and that I've never had to deal with that kind of damage. But, my reaction to seeing damaged hair is kinda odd... I want to stroke it, manipulate it, and braid it. I don't know, something about really rough texture makes me want to baby it. Fortunately, I'm not too observant and don't really notice hair too much.

MINAKO
June 15th, 2016, 11:14 PM
Yes, i think when it comes to this i'm overanalyzing other people alot. It's hard for me to ignore any form of neglect towards the body and i see hair similar to fitness level, skin condition, dental hydiene etc. Doesn't mean i'mma judge anyone but i definitely notice.

Iamsiam
June 16th, 2016, 03:35 AM
I eye off other people's hair all the time. I give them mental trims, s&d missions and deep conditioning treatments. I telepathically curse bad hair extensions too. I'm a bit critical but fair I think. Then I see someone with amazing hair (usually Indian ladies, I love their hair) and I get a little jealous and promise myself my hair will be like that one day.

Agnes Hannah
June 18th, 2016, 02:26 PM
Yes I notice and it drives me nuts! I just want to tell them how to S andD!!

Hinza
July 15th, 2016, 11:46 AM
When they are pointed out to me. I feel my self now really newbie:bigeyes:

Eve-Jade-Day
July 17th, 2016, 02:34 PM
Yes yes yes yes all the time. I'd love to give them a trim right there if I could and if they'd let me. It drives me crazy to see people's glaringly visible dryness and damage!!! But I figure that in a few months without trimming my hair is going to resemble that and it's terrifying. I lost so much length trying to get the last split end I could feel, not even see :(

Spinder
July 17th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Sometimes yes, if it is in bright sunlight and I am standing very close to them.

HairPlease
July 17th, 2016, 05:24 PM
I don't stare at people's hair that much, but I'll notice when someone has insanely raggedy ends.

dancingfrog
July 17th, 2016, 06:14 PM
At a wedding yesterday, DH (also a longhair) had his back towards me and I noticed his splits shudder: Wanted to S&D right there and then!

Thraven
July 17th, 2016, 07:28 PM
Sometimes, like when I'm standing behind someone in line for something for an insanely long time. Mostly not, though. Maybe a few years ago when I was more obsessed with hair, but right now I'm pretty "meh" about others unless they ask for help. Then it's information overload time! :happydance:

Wizmo
July 20th, 2016, 12:01 AM
Hi,

Several times I have noticed split ends in other's hair.

Pamberpestana
July 20th, 2016, 01:53 AM
Oh yeah I totally look! Im always checking out the condition of other people's hair! It's so crazy how different everyone's hair is.

If I see split ends or chemically fried ends I cringe a little because I know they must have been beating their hair up!

Johannah
July 20th, 2016, 04:19 AM
Pretty much all the time. I guess I'm trained to see them. :lol:

Goatcraft
July 22nd, 2016, 02:44 PM
I don't notice such things. Never even thought about it, honestly.

I guess it's like.. I wouldn't want anyone judging my hair, so I won't judge theirs.

Apolli
August 14th, 2016, 04:09 AM
Yes I do- mostly because I like to look at other people's hair for inspiration and motivation (lots a girls here have long hair) so I end up noticing the good and not-as-good hair conditions. I've beaten the daylights out of my own hair in the past though, so I don't judge them for it. I do give advice when asked though.

BlueSky
August 16th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Only since I pay attention on my hair, I notice splits on other people. But I say nothing. :lipssealed:

Floh
August 19th, 2016, 07:36 AM
Haha, same here! :D
.....me too ......

H o n є y ❤
August 19th, 2016, 08:42 AM
Yes, sometimes I notice them. Usually when I'm sitting/standing right behind the person. Ever since I joined LHC I've been all up in other people's hair. I think it's weird and rude :( I wouldn't want others looking at my hair the way I look at theirs lol. I don't judge though, just observe.

Annalouise
December 7th, 2016, 05:55 AM
I answered "all the time." I can't help it, when I'm standing behind someone at the grocery store and their hair is full of split ends and damaged I can't help but notice. I wonder in my head: "what are they doing to their hair???":(

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 8th, 2016, 10:00 PM
Occasionally, I am a student so I look at the back of peoples heads all day lol

almost alice
December 9th, 2016, 02:46 PM
It has to be pointed out to me. But, in all honesty, I have to have them pointed out to me on my own head too. For whatever reason I can't find them on my own, which is why I could never S&D.

animetor7
December 9th, 2016, 06:13 PM
I said occasionally because I do notice if it's particularly bad, but not most of the time. :)

OhSuzi
December 9th, 2016, 06:23 PM
I am way too blind to notice something as tiny as split ends. But I do notice the condition of people's hair more since being on lhc. I admire length and sheeny shiny good condition hair and shout at the TVs things like stop highlighting and straightening your hair, look at those ends! What amazes me is some of the d list celebrities on things like big brother, where you get to watch someone constantly admiring, straightening, brushing and flicking their hair and I'm thinking but it's horrible, so overprocessed that it goes into separate clumpy strings, and the length isn't real it's extensions and you can see where the sections are glued in and how it's pulling on the roots. Fake processed clumps are not attractive and they must be super heavy and painful!
Take it all out and save your hair! No don't fry it again! As they hold straighteners for minutes on their wet hair.

eladriel
December 10th, 2016, 01:57 AM
I usually don't notice them but when I get very obsessive about my own I tend to start noticing them on other people as well.

MudderOfDragunz
December 13th, 2016, 02:44 PM
It's sounds horrible, but only if I don't like them do I notice the split ends :P I

littlestarface
December 13th, 2016, 06:38 PM
Ohemgee I saw this chick at big lots who had the most damaged bleached hair in a ponytail ever. It was stiff and all matted together like it was melted or something. I was crying for her hair, I wanted to slather so much of my hair stuff on her so bad.

jessic6
December 14th, 2016, 02:10 PM
I've never noticed it on other people unless their hair was horrific.

dollhair
January 28th, 2017, 02:58 PM
I notice them more on dark hair than lighter hair. And I notice them more on friends than strangers probably because I can get a closer look at them lol.

MoonRabbit
January 28th, 2017, 03:21 PM
I notice them more on tv than out and about. For a few seconds, I actually feel jealous because they fry their hair with flat irons and curling irons and I miss using them. But after those few seconds i'm very happy with the health and dedication of my hair.

mayfaring
January 28th, 2017, 07:12 PM
I notice them a lot, but it's their business what they do with them. It tends to just make me more conscious of my own and check on my end condition.

*Wednesday*
February 4th, 2017, 04:44 PM
I work with a girl, who flat irons her hair every day. Every so many weeks she will wear her hair naturally curly. She has beautiful chin length curly hair.
Her ends look very week for all the flat iron. However, she does keep her hair short because of this. She is considering a Brazilian Blow out. Goodness, more dry ends.
Yes, I notice hers but further, tell her to cut back on the heat and chemicals.

pandabarrier
February 12th, 2017, 12:30 PM
I can't see split ends on other people, unless I'm standing very close to them, for instance, in a crowded subway. Mostly I notice women with messy buns with so many elastic hair bands twisted around matted hair. Ouch, it must hurt to take those bands out!

spirals
February 12th, 2017, 01:02 PM
It wouldn't ever occur to me to look for them but if it did they'd be too small to see. I do notice dry or damaged hair because then I'm seeing the whole picture, which is easier for the eyes to take in and the brain to process. But individual splits are too small for that. Some of you mention judgement as if it were a bad thing. I don't have a problem with judging nor being judged. Sometimes others' judgment of me has helped me to change something for the better.

Joyful Mystery
April 24th, 2017, 12:02 PM
I'm not big on evaluating other people's hair, either. However, if somebody is directly in front of me in line at the grocery store or something, I'll notice obvious splits. I was behind a woman recently. Her ends looked positively chewed up.

This for me too.

Aredhel
April 24th, 2017, 05:24 PM
I can when someone has light hair on a dark shirt and I'm standing near them. :p

Siri
April 24th, 2017, 07:32 PM
I've never noticed, I don't pay much attention to other people's hair unless it's in a style I would like to do with my own. :hmm:

Obsidian
April 24th, 2017, 08:52 PM
I can spot split end from across the room. Funny know why they stand out so much to me but it's singing I've always noticed.

Hay_jules
April 27th, 2017, 09:21 AM
I notice it all the time, when someone is in front of me on the bus or skytrain or in a store. I also notice all the people who wear ponytails. I saw a couple last night at Walmart and they both had WL hair and the girl had a higher ponytail and her hair didn't look too bad but the guy had a low ponytail and he had so much breakage all around the ponytail holder, the urge to tell him how his ponytail elastic was damaging his hair was overwhelming but I resisted lol. I find I'm much more aware of other people's hair in general.

BraidFreak
May 12th, 2017, 05:52 AM
I'm terrible and always notice them on my friends! they sometimes tell me to stop looking ;)

Cassandre Brave
May 12th, 2017, 12:44 PM
In my case, that's just awful! :( As I have eagle eyes (I always notice a lot of things in a few seconds), when a person is close to me, I always see his/her split ends! :-(
That's terrible, as I almost want to do some S&D for this person & give him/her advices... I never talked about this to people I know (that's the same for strangers, too), but it's awfully embarrassing to me (to do not tell it) because of my perfectionist nature... :?

However, this is so freaking amazing and useful, to see so well: when you do your own S&D on your hair, you notice really fast splits ends and breakages. :bounce:
...Even if some are able to hide themselves when I'm about to massacer them! :flamed:

Prism
May 12th, 2017, 12:51 PM
I've noticed them on a woman with dark hair. They stand out as lighter than the color of the hair. Makes me want to get my scissors and snip off that damage!

Hairkay
May 12th, 2017, 01:08 PM
Not my head not my business.:cheese:

ShilvaA
May 12th, 2017, 01:17 PM
In all honestly, I have never really noticed other peoples splits... I notice mine a lot.

I tend to notice awkward hair cuts/styles so if someone has not done anything radical with their hair, I don't usuallygive it a second glance. :) I had hoped that people wouldnt pay attention to mine, haha.

Dendra
May 16th, 2017, 05:14 PM
I notice people's hair all the time, men and women, but especially women. It's not usually critical, often I'm admiring their lovely hair - especially here in Portugal so many women have incredibly strong looking long dark hair.

But it does work both ways, I notice if hair is frazzled or needs a chop. I can't help it! I feel like it's the same as when people who are into fashion notice outfits all the time, but I'm looking at the hair instead.

saff.cel
July 10th, 2017, 01:46 PM
I notice it EVERYWHERE now.... I get fixated on things easily. The other week I found out what "myobrace" was and suddenly it was noticing how everyone's teeth were aligned or mis-aligned and speculating causation to myself.... I would say though with hair, I notice the nice a lot more than the splits, It just floors me how much perfectly smooth long hair is cruising around in my hometown. I'd like to interrogate these girls, but I'm trying to pretend to be half-way socialized. ;)

leayellena
July 11th, 2017, 05:35 AM
Oh yes! They look fry, without a shape or color is not what the rest of the hair is.

snowstorm
July 21st, 2017, 10:26 AM
I never really notice split ends on strangers, but I do notice the overall health of their hair. I once went to an event and I just couldn't stop looking at hair of the woman in the line front of me. She had the most amazing silky smooth, shiny, pin straight, and fine hair. I know this could be achieved with tons of product and styling, but she radiated health.

snowstorm
July 21st, 2017, 10:29 AM
I'd like to interrogate these girls, but I'm trying to pretend to be half-way socialized. ;)

:D Thank you for the laugh!

peachyleshy
July 23rd, 2017, 01:42 PM
No, I don't. Not that I never check out and compare other peoples' hair, but I'm never close enough to see split ends. Although, the other day I was sewing a shirt for a coworker and there was two of her hairs in it and one of them had a split end. Also, I know she does S&D at work like I do!

Pinni
July 24th, 2017, 05:47 AM
Yes, but it is rare. Only when sitting at buss or at yoga class or at other situation when other people's hair is in front of me.

MidnightMoon
July 24th, 2017, 07:09 AM
I never notice split ends. What I do notice A LOT are white dots, specially on straightened coarse dark hair, and bleached straightened hair... it looks awful, so dry and stiff...

Wavybrunetteuk
July 24th, 2017, 08:51 AM
I do notice if a girl in front of me has damaged hair, even damaged or straggly ends. I just feel bad for the girl rather than any sense of negativity at all. Damaged hair is not fun :(

Ankjo
July 24th, 2017, 11:35 AM
Yes. I definitely notice other people's split ends and I simply cannot hold back from letting them know they have them. :(

AmberLouise89
July 24th, 2017, 07:03 PM
The only person I notice split ends on is my husband, specifically on his beard. He has horrible split ends on his beard and absolutely will not let me do a S&D on it or trim it. He says if he has to do any type of grooming to it then he might as well shave it off. It drives me nuts but it's his hair so whatever.

Corvana
July 24th, 2017, 07:52 PM
If it's like... right in front of me, I guess? But in general no because I'm #1 super unobservant and #2 don't really like to study people super closely if they can see me LOL.

Dendra
July 29th, 2017, 12:55 PM
If it's like... right in front of me, I guess? But in general no because I'm #1 super unobservant and #2 don't really like to study people super closely if they can see me LOL.

Haha ;) Agreed. I do totally stare at people's hair when they're walking in front of me, though, and I feel safe in the knowledge they won't turn round.

Shanawavy
July 31st, 2017, 10:37 AM
No, but maybe that's because my hair is only at shoulder at the moment, I'm sure with longer hair myself I'll be looking at others' longer hair more closely to compare it with my own!
I do notice the condition (and length) of people's hair a lot more since I joined the LHC!

sailortitan
August 1st, 2017, 12:24 PM
Same here. I try not to look but occasionally I will see someone's hair that is especially... noticeable in that way.

usually it's someone who you can probably guess bleaches their hair, and/or flatirons it. There are some, though, that I suspect just use a lot of product or sulfates on hair that doesn't take to that.

only a garbage human would point it out, though.

sailortitan
August 1st, 2017, 12:28 PM
only a garbage human would point it out, though.

Aaaand then I notice someone downthread say they point it out, lol.

Sorry, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers if someone does. I do think most people aren't interested in hearing negative commentary on their appearance, though--even if it's well-intentioned. ;-) Maybe it's just a cultural thing.

lisamt
August 1st, 2017, 01:10 PM
usually I don't, but this morning I was watching a talk show on TV and one of the lady's hair was platinum blonde and so fried looking it actually started to bother me. the lighting was coming from behind her too so all the little stray hairs were super noticeable and I could see all the splits in her hair :eye:

Begemot
December 25th, 2018, 02:00 AM
There needs to be some seriously glaring damage to get me to notice random stranger's hair. I see thin and damaged looking hair out there (usually overly bleached) but I don't get so close that I would see individual split ends :hmm:

bokeh
December 25th, 2018, 05:04 AM
I notice hair everywhere I go these days. In the past I never paid any mind but since I've been learning how to care for my own hair and growing it longer I've been interested. I notice the condition of their hair, their hair styles and any hair accessories. I'm especially interested in studying the hair of women in my own age group. It's not about judging, it's about learning and I've learned a lot about how I want to wear my hair by observing. Anyway, while doing all that observing I can't help but see split ends even though I'm not specifically looking for them.

Xlena
December 25th, 2018, 06:50 AM
Definitely I see them xd My best friend had super healthy natural hair and last summer she decided to dye it. Right after she sent me a picture the first thing I said was "wow, your head is now full of split ends, I can see them in the pic!"

I still have that pic xd
https://i.gyazo.com/b6cfeba4e0b3a9d59403d6913a45b2b3.png

AmaryllisRed
December 25th, 2018, 09:45 AM
There needs to be some seriously glaring damage to get me to notice random stranger's hair. I see thin and damaged looking hair out there (usually overly bleached) but I don't get so close that I would see individual split ends :hmm:

Yeah this. I will notice if someone's hair is totally fried (though admittedly pre-LHC I didn't notice other people's hair really at all), but I can't imagine being so close to someone as to see individual split ends. I can barely even see my own!
Unless it's like my kid in my lap or like someone else said, my husband's beard.

sophia_
December 26th, 2018, 09:59 AM
I only notice if it's really bad or sometimes people will point out their own split ends to me as to lament the damage they inflicted upon it , lol.

Cg
December 26th, 2018, 05:23 PM
I notice everyone's hair. Thank you, LHC. I give it little thought though, except to type it. Thanks again, LHC.

Margrit
December 27th, 2018, 10:30 PM
I voted for: Occasionally

MadHatter
December 28th, 2018, 07:09 AM
We mess with each others' hair at work, so yes I do notice. I'll actually go through and start tugging off "perforated" segments (you all know what I'm talking about, I'm sure - a strand of hair has a white dot on it, and you can just tug the distal end of the hair right off, and it's oh so satisfying).

LeyanaWhite
December 28th, 2018, 12:27 PM
I can spot them a mile away which makes me really embarrassed and self conscious because I know they can see mine too!

megthehennahead
December 29th, 2018, 09:55 PM
I notice them all the time! Most of my coworkers dye their hair and heat style a LOT, so they have a lot of split ends to notice... and most of them aren't even at shoulder length. I feel bad for noticing so much, but I can't help it! I want to pull out a pair of shears and go at them!

MadelineMomo
April 26th, 2019, 11:34 PM
When I was in soccer, when we'd line up for drills I'd be facing the hair of my teammate right in front of me. Particularly on girls with dark hair, because their splits are light and thus very visible, yeah, I would notice.

littlestarface
April 27th, 2019, 08:41 AM
Yes! I just saw this girl on wednesday on my way to work, this poor girl I was crying for her hair. It was so badly bleached all her ponytail was so dry looked like yellowish cotton candy, it even moved like cotton candy. So many splits I was crying.