PDA

View Full Version : Share your Pre-LHC thankfulness

Saranne772
August 19th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Well I was thinking today (I found a photo from a hair style magazine that I had back in 2006ish). When I was about 15/16 I
went through a phase (following my friends) of wanting to have my hair styled according to a photo I saw. It was a layered hairstyle, but my mother forbade it. She said that once you get your hair layered you have to keep getting it layered and it gets shorter and shorter. And expensive (I would have payed myself- couldnt afford to do that). I was cross at the time but never so thankful now! I will tell her before I move away :) (within the next 3 weeks)

I've been reading about the problems and challenge others have growing out layers.

What about the rest of you? Anything you are very thankful for not doing or being prevented from doing pre-LHC days?

thankyousir74
August 19th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Well I'm kinda glad I didn't bleach and grow through the crazy color phase. Though I kinda wish I got it outta my system. I still get an urge every now and then, but that's what henna is for. I just know that I'm glad I found LHC after I cut my hair or I would've kept my immensely damaged hair.

dorothea-brooke
August 19th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I'm glad I've never used a blow-dryer! It was mostly out of laziness -- couldn't imagine spending that time every morning, so I would let it air-dry.

Well, I still do! :)

Marchpane
August 19th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I'm glad I never blow-dried my hair too lol. I never dyed or coloured it either, or straightened- it was just too much trouble. Then I found out later (at LHC) that this was all much healthier for your hair anyways, so for once my laziness paid off. ;)

Not another similarity dorothea! I'm sorry! Lol you must think I'm such a copycat- good thing I'm at least blonde. :p

dorothea-brooke
August 19th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I'm glad I never blow-dried my hair too lol. I never dyed or coloured it either, or straightened- it was just too much trouble. Then I found out later (at LHC) that this was all much healthier for your hair anyways, so for once my laziness paid off. ;)

Not another similarity dorothea! I'm sorry! Lol you must think I'm such a copycat- good thing I'm at least blonde. :p

Hee hee! I'm going to have to take out a restraining order soon! :silly:

[/hijack]

Saranne772
August 19th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I just noticed that I spelt thankfulness wrong in the title. Please could a modly personage correct it for me!! :) I can't stand the spelling mistake! Thanks Sah :)

burns_erin
August 19th, 2008, 11:15 AM
There isn't anything i did not do to my hair. And i have very few regrets because now I know, and I am one of those obstinate people who absolutely must experience to beleive.

Islandgrrl
August 19th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I'm glad I never got into the whole "salon as a part of the things you do" thing. Growing up, my mother went to the salon once a week to have her hair washed and styled. Every 4 weeks, it got "frosted," washed and styled. While she always looked beautiful, I never understood the process. I was too impatient (still am) to sit through all that nonsense!

nucleardelusion
August 19th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I'm thankful that I never gave into straightening irons that girls at school used to swear by, and for protesting when I was told to blow dry my hair more.

Periwinkle
August 19th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I'm thankful that I never got into heat styling. I was prevented from getting into any kind of it because I suffer from chronic laziness. I just can't be bothered!

I'm also thankful that I decided to let my hair grow a bit and just trim the ends and layers, rather than whacking it to my shoulders like I normally do when it reaches just above BSL. There was no particular reason I decided not to go for another 'change', but I'm glad I didn't!

FrannyG
August 19th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I am thankful that I did do all of the above-mentioned things and more to my hair over the years. I've finally gotten all of the experimental haircuts, heat appliances and styling products out of my system. I can really enjoy and appreciate my hair the way it is now.

jojo
August 19th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Thats kinda the way I feel too!

Guilty of all in the past!

Leisha
August 19th, 2008, 11:58 AM
For Halloween in (I think) 2002 I wanted to dye my hair purple. I had bought the dye (semi-permanent type thing) and everything. (My hair was a bit over waist at the time)

I told a girl at university about it; she had/has gorgeous, around classic length hair and when she was in my class she always had the nicest styles :) she was really creative with her hair.

Anyway, she answered "really?? oh, why would you do that? Your hair is such a gorgeous colour, it would be a shame to dye it and what if it doesn't come out, you'd have to grow it out" etc.
It's not like she was totally negative about it, or forced her opinion on me or anything, at all... it was more like she was surprised and genuinely wondering if it would be a good idea, like "if I were you I don't think I would do it".

That got me thinking and I decided against dying my hair. Afterwards I was very grateful for that :)

The years before that, I had dyed my hair a few times and I certainly don't regret that or anything, it was fun!

But because of what that girl said, I realised my hair is nice as it is naturally and I wanted to bring that beauty out more (an ongoing challenge ;)).

Finoriel
August 19th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Like Franny I´m very thankful about it, that I already had many different kinds of experimental haircuts. I know how it looks and I know that I can pull off short hair very well. The outgrowing process was not bad either, with some cool styles on the way. Now I can happily grow my hair without asking myself the "what if"-question. I´ve also never been much into styling or other hair colors, so that´s another thing to be thankful about - skipping all bad experiences with style-bleach-colour-perm-whatever-damage.

Patrycja
August 19th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Right before I joined,I was seriously debating getting professional highlights and lowlights.I didn't.Granted,I do use chemical dye but its so much easier to touch up than highlights.

SaraMatty
August 20th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Add me to the camp that never got into heat styling and am very glad I didn't. My mom can't go anywhere without wielding a curling iron and hair dryer, and I never picked up the habit. It was getting kind of funny when I had something like six hair dryers because for some reason she kept buying them for me at the same rate she burned them out. I did finally manage to get rid of all but one, but still have curling irons in three widths, a flat iron and a travel curling iron that were gifted to me. I just can't devote that much time to any of it, so being a wash and wear type just works better for me anyway. That's not to say I won't hang on to the one dryer--I still think it's a better idea to dry my hair with a dryer than let it freeze solid like it does here if I wash my hair on winter mornings instead of at night. But other than that, LHC has given me plenty of reason to continue the way I normally would in regards to heat styling--once, maybe twice a year and no guilt about it :) My hair has enough trouble staying in good condition without me baking it in the process. If I'd been blowdrying and curling every day I'd probably be bald or close to it by now.

Elanor
August 21st, 2008, 02:51 AM
I'm glad I never used a straightener or curling iron or dyed my hair permanently. I'm also glad I did use the blowfryer, otherwise I wouldn't know how much better my hair looks without it :D

I've had layers since I was 13 or so, and i love them! No more triagle-head and flat hair life :p

Juliet's Silk
August 21st, 2008, 02:56 AM
In 2004, my hairdresser refused to give me a perm. I sooo wanted neat, curly hair, but she told me she wouldn't do that to my hair as it was so healthy. She gave me a couple of highlights instead. Lo and behold, a couple of months later I decided to grow my hair long, and now I'm really thankful that I have long hair instead of permed hair. :)

Ashley
August 21st, 2008, 04:47 AM
I'm just really glad I found haircare boards with people who taught me so many things about haircare and all different kinds of experiments. Previously I always loved long hair but I never succeeded in growing it out; I would always be unhappy with the ends etc and the lack of ideas to put it up, so the scissors came out again.

Now I've been growing for 3 years non-stop and I don't look back. My hair is in better condition than ever and I am still motivated to grow even longer. Feels great!