PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever dye with blueberries?

Blueglass
August 19th, 2008, 10:07 AM
My hair is too yellow. I need to tone it down because I feel I can't take another day of it. Has any ever used blueberries as a toner? How did you do it? and was it permanent?

Oskimosa
August 19th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I haven't heard anything about using blueberries to dye hair, but I do know that if you want more of an ash, brownish color that isn't too dark, H4H has buxus dioica and it's supposed to do just that for hair.
HTH

Islandgrrl
August 19th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I don't have blonde hair, but I would think that yellow + purple could be very, very bad. I recommend that you strand test on some shed hairs just to see what color it goes.

thankyousir74
August 19th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I don't have blonde hair, but I would think that yellow + purple could be very, very bad.

Seconded.... on the color wheel that doesn't make much sense for they are contrast colors. Where did you hear about dying with blueberries? I don't think they would stain that well considering I once tried dying a white t-shirt with blueberry tea and though it was a very nice purple, it did not stain at all. But I digress...where did you hear about using blueberries? I'm intrigued...

Arctic
August 19th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Maybe you could buy some silver shampoo meant to tone down the yellow shades in blonde hair?

spidermom
August 19th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I've spent quite a bit of time using natural dyes on angora, and most of them require a mordant to hold the color. I'm not sure you want to be putting things like alum on your hair. However, blackberries do not require a mordant, and they stain a plum-gray color. As a matter of fact, I've been contemplating staining a single strand of my hair with it just for the thrill of it. Maybe I'll do it today; if so, I'll get pictures.

thankyousir74
August 19th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Mordants haha... Yeah I needed mordants for the blueberry tea to work...still didn't work though. I had forgotten all about my use of mordants...

ANYWAYS...

That blackberry use is new information to me spidermom, I hope you do take pictures, I'm quite curious... wait hair would have to be very light wouldn't it? Drats.

ktani
August 19th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Blueberries contain anthocyanins.

That is found in cranberries and many fruits. They change colour in different pH solutions and makes natural dyes with them unreliable.

Blueglass
August 19th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I want to neutralize the yellow. Cooked blueberries are red violet, so I hoped it could help.

wintersun99
August 19th, 2008, 10:42 AM
How did your hair get too yellow (sorry, I missed it if you've mentioned it before) I'm wondering if doing a honey/liquid treatment would help? Have you tried it? Sorry, I know nothing about berry stains (other than I try to keep them off my teeth) :)

spidermom
August 19th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I meant to add to my post above that your hair color looks very pretty on your avatar and in your photo album. Has it changed? I did a senna tea (called Smooth Move) & conditioner treatment on my hair earlier this year, and the color appeared more ash afterward.

spidermom
August 19th, 2008, 12:02 PM
OMG; I'm so sorry! I had no idea those pictures were so big!

Blueglass
August 19th, 2008, 12:15 PM
wintersun I'm sure you could find out. Spidermom, my avatar was prehenna, alum was afterwards loved henna, except for henna gold on my highlights. I had them bleached out professionally, but it's still too yellow, maybe it was the best he could do but, it's very yellow indoors.. To me it looks very fake. I decided I can't live with yellow anymore. I just want to go back to natural color maybe with better highlights and elumen.

2TortyCats
August 19th, 2008, 12:52 PM
In theory you are right, a violet based dye is what you need to counter yellow, but this rule is for chemical dyes. I have no idea what blueberries would do. If you've still got hennad hair on your head though, chemicals won't do much over that.

Blueglass
August 19th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I said I have already had highlights over henna 2tortycats so it can be done. It works with blueberries, but the hair runs the risk of over purple.

ruby_tuesday
August 20th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I meant to add to my post above that your hair color looks very pretty on your avatar and in your photo album. Has it changed? I did a senna tea (called Smooth Move) & conditioner treatment on my hair earlier this year, and the color appeared more ash afterward.

I'm curious about the treatment, how much did you use of every ingredient? I want my ashy hair back.

I also wonder if blueberry tea would tone down my golden tones without adding the purple? :hmm:

spidermom
August 20th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I'm curious about the treatment, how much did you use of every ingredient? I want my ashy hair back.

I also wonder if blueberry tea would tone down my golden tones without adding the purple? :hmm:

I opened 3 teabags of the Smooth Move senna tea and mixed it with about 3/4 cup of Nature's Gate conditioner, packed it onto my hair, put a shower cap over it, put a wool hat over that, and left it for at least 1-2 hours, then massaged my scalp as I rinsed (as one does with CO). I was so surprised that the color looked more ash, less golden after that treatment.

ruby_tuesday
August 20th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I opened 3 teabags of the Smooth Move senna tea and mixed it with about 3/4 cup of Nature's Gate conditioner, packed it onto my hair, put a shower cap over it, put a wool hat over that, and left it for at least 1-2 hours, then massaged my scalp as I rinsed (as one does with CO). I was so surprised that the color looked more ash, less golden after that treatment.

Thank you spidermom for explaining that to me! :flower: My hair is naturally ash blond but I've been dying it brown and now I got some golden/warm tones which I dont like. Now I'll just have to find senna tea in Sweden. ps your hair looks fabulous- love the colour!

Blueglass
August 22nd, 2008, 11:27 AM
I mixed the blueberries with conditioner, a little sea salt and tea. I left it on for just a few seconds and washed it out. I think it helped, and my parents agree with me.