PDA

View Full Version : The new!! What's in your Mister Bottle Thread?

Pages : [1] 2

Patrycja
March 17th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Thought I'd start this one up again because I got so many ideas from other members on here.

here's mine and its been the one for awhile now:
Fote Aloe gel
a drop of cone free Lime Squeeze by VO5
a few drops of White Grapefruit EO
Distilled water
Jojoba Oil

I love it and the scent stays in my hair after it dries! :inlove:

Nightshade
March 17th, 2008, 12:35 PM
In a 4ox bottle I add

1oz of Aubrey Organics Sea Buckthorn Detangler & Curl Enhancer (http://www.aubrey-organics.com/product1.cfm?product_id=759)
3oz distilled waterShake. I mist my hair mostly before bunning it for the day in the morning. The SBD has lots of great oils and protiens in it, as well as other stuff, and even so diluted gives me bitchin' bun waves curls when I take my hair down. Has an earthy scent to it that I love.

The SBD has: Deionized Water, Essential Fatty Acid Base, Vegetable Glycerin, Organic Aloe Vera, Natural Grain Alcohol, Egg Protein Oil, Burdock Oil, Oat Protein, Vitamin F, White Camellia Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Sunflower Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Sea Buckthorn Oil, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E), Camomile Oil.

almudena
March 17th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Water, a bit of graspessed oil for conditioning and a few drops of Lavender and Cypress EO.
Love the earthy smell of Cypress EO :)

Sakura07
March 17th, 2008, 02:57 PM
In one I just have a bit of water.
In the other I have a squirt of V05 passion fruit smoothie, sweet almond oil and water.

Patrycja
March 17th, 2008, 03:59 PM
LOL@ bitchin'
I haven't heard that in forever Kimberlily

great recipes everyone.Got some great ideas so far :D

Mahars
March 17th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I have two. The one for my scalp has distilled water, a squirt of jojoba oil, a squirt of aloe, and a few drops of Tea Tree Oil and peppermint EO. I spray it just on my roots and rub it in to get rid of itchies and dryness.

The one for my length has distilled water, a squirt of jojoba oil and olive oil, a couple drops of rosemary EO, and a squirt of aloe. I use it to refresh and weigh down my curls.

AlleyKitten
March 17th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I don't mist, but I just wanted to say that when I read the title of this thread I totally thought "Mr. Bottle? Why would you name your bottle 'Mr.'?" and was very confused! :p I feel kind of silly now.

wintersun99
March 17th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I have two misters. the first contains leftovers from a modified SMT; part raw honey, part giavanni condish, part water. the second contains a "tea" made from hibiscus flowers, that I initially thought would be nice for temporary color, but ended up making my hair crunchy. I'm waiting to use it in the next SMT.

Feisty Redhead
March 17th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Mine is currently just filled with water and a small amount of V05 Passion Fruit Smoothie conditioner. I think once it needs refilled I'll do water and Goth Rosary 'Nocturnal' conditioner and see how I like that one. I love my Nocturnal conditioner. :D

Anje
March 17th, 2008, 08:54 PM
One's just water with a few drops of lavender oil.

The other mister has (at the moment) water, WREB, glycerine, olive oil (with a bit of lavender), and Vatika oil. I seem to just randomly put things in that one, though, so the mix varies a bit.

Shorty89
March 17th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Mine is just tap water with a little bit of salt thrown in. Why? I don't know, but it spruces up my scalp on greasy days. Usually though, I just put water in with a bit of body spray for smell.

justgreen
March 17th, 2008, 09:21 PM
4 ounces distilled water
3-4 drops jojba oil
1/2 ounce orange blossom water

harley mama
March 17th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I use filtered water and a few drops of lavender EO most of the time.

Saldana
March 18th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Distilled water, a few drops of jojoba oil, a few drops of lavender EO, and a bit of Hask Henna n' Placenta leave-in conditioner. I think I'm going to leave the Hask out next time, though, because my hair is starting to not like it as well as it did during winter.

Ohio Sky
March 18th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Mine is currently just filled with water and a small amount of V05 Passion Fruit Smoothie conditioner. I think once it needs refilled I'll do water and Goth Rosary 'Nocturnal' conditioner and see how I like that one. I love my Nocturnal conditioner. :D

Thats a great idea! I think I will try this as well. GR conitioners make AWESOME leave-ins!

Advaya
March 28th, 2008, 07:27 PM
How does everyone use their misters? Just as leave-in conditioner?

I am thinking of buying some GR things so this sounds intriguing.

Curlsgirl
March 31st, 2008, 09:08 PM
How does everyone use their misters? Just as leave-in conditioner?

I am thinking of buying some GR things so this sounds intriguing.

I don't use mine so much in the winter as in the summer. Then I keep a little bottle with me all the time and from time to time I take my bun out and spritz it and put it back to help keep me cool AND moisturize! In the winter I do it only sometimes to revive or arrange my curls. Other use it to help combat frizz or to just keep their hair moisturized.

I usually use a variation of the following ingredients:

Distilled water
lemon or lavendar EO
aloe gel
very small amount of glycerin
good smelling cone free conditioner
sometimes a bit of avocado oil but not too much, my hair does better to mist with that and then work a couple drops of oil in my hair especially at the ends

Delilah
March 31st, 2008, 11:24 PM
My mister's bottle usually contains beer, but he'll drink hard cider in a pinch.

Oh, you mean the spray-bottle type of mister don't you?

Tapioca
April 1st, 2008, 03:09 PM
Mine's got Kimberlily's defrizz spray, but since I'm a conehead, I use 50/50 water and a cone-filled detangler (Infusium, J&J No More Tangles ...) instead of just water.

mommy2one05
April 1st, 2008, 03:28 PM
What is the defrizz spray referred to in the above message? So if I mixed like water, detangler, conditioner, and aloe vera...it would combat against frizz? This would probably be cheaper then the stuff I have been trying and might work just as good.

Yari
April 1st, 2008, 03:39 PM
I usually use distilled water and food safe rose blossom water (70/80), every now and then i fingercomb 1-3 drops oil in and bun my hair up.

Tapioca
April 1st, 2008, 04:38 PM
The defrizz spray is found here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277&highlight=kimberlily%27s

I use it on damp hair, comb through, and let it air-dry. Helps with the frizzies.

mommy2one05
April 2nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
A question...I see that everybody's mist is completely different so I guess you just vary and see what works for you right...I don't have oils and stuff like that but last night I was looking at my ingredients in my avon naturals lotion...and it has alot of different oils in it, so if I made a mist of lotion, conditioner, water...would that work too...for frizz and to moisturize?

Yari
April 2nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
mommy2one05, you are right. :) A mix of “learn by watching to satisfy the needs of my hair” and “learn by doing” was my way to work out my hair care routine. It takes a while, but here you will find lots of help and encouragement.

I never used avon naturals lotion, so I don’t know anything about it. This product is not listed in the "Commercial Hair Product Reviews", so maybe you want to post the ingredients there.

You could rub a tiny bit on a strand of hair (wet or dry hair). This way you can check whether your hair like it or not and you won`t waste your lotion.

I am sure other will chime in too. Good luck! A good result may be expected. :flower:

peachy.pudding
April 2nd, 2008, 02:37 PM
I use

Olive oil
Aussie moisture conditioner
Water (tap)Works y well to spray my hair before bed also and slepp on it.

Olive oil is just the best

Nynaeve
April 2nd, 2008, 04:35 PM
Sprayer 1:
Water

Sprayer 2:
rosewater
aloe vera gel
jojoba oil (maybe some tea tree or olive depending on what I felt like)
rosemary oil

Ms Monnie
April 3rd, 2008, 10:12 AM
My mister's bottle usually contains beer, but he'll drink hard cider in a pinch.

:laugh:

Is it bad that it actually took me a moment to realise you were joking? I know some people have tried beer as a rinse, so I was thinking... Beer as a leave in? Wouldn't one smell rather like a drunkard? :shrug:

Mine just has rosewater in it at the moment. A dousing of pure rosewater cures all sorts of hair disasters for me. I may add some aloe eventually. I've also used Kimberlily's defrizz spray with good results.

homeschoolmama
April 3rd, 2008, 10:24 AM
I am FINALLY ordering a set of misters for DD & myself this week :) Thanks for this thread, we'll be trying all sorts of goodies to see what works for us over the next few months.

I think we're going to start with Kimberlily's defrizz spray & go on from there... if we need to ;)
love,
mom

Mishka_84
April 3rd, 2008, 01:30 PM
In my mister I have half ACV and half water. I use this instead of doing an ACV rinse. It is better for detangling than any conditioner I've used, and I don't have any frizz either. Sometimes I'll add a few drops of EO for scent.

Choccielocks
April 3rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
I have:
*water
*aloe vera gel
*tiny bit of glycerine
*grapefruit EO because I love the smell
*orange flower water, again because of its scent

Works well at combatting the frizzies and defines the waves!x

Nynaeve
April 8th, 2008, 06:25 PM
:laugh:

Is it bad that it actually took me a moment to realise you were joking? I know some people have tried beer as a rinse, so I was thinking... Beer as a leave in? Wouldn't one smell rather like a drunkard? :shrug:

Hahahahaha. I hadn't seen that until now!!! Thanks for the giggle! :)

Celtic Queen
April 9th, 2008, 06:36 AM
where do you get your eos from, by curiosity? I should restart my mister. I'd like a small "travel-size" one, has anybody found a good travel solution?

may1em
April 10th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Distilled water and lavender oil. I might start up another one with more conditioning agents in it, though.

I have another one that's a mix of distilled water, devacurl b'leave in, aloe, and lemon essential oil. Mostly it makes my hair feel crunchy so the mixture is still just sitting there...

chrissy-b
April 10th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Distilled water
One squirt of FOTE Aloe Gel
One squirt of Biolage Conditioning Balm

Pretty simple, but I like it.

Elizabeth
April 10th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I usually get the best results from rose water mixed with either a few drops of Suave coconut conditioner, Suave milk and honey, or VO5 sun-kissed raspberry. It keeps the frizzes down and brings out the small bit of wave I have.

pariate
April 11th, 2008, 01:49 PM
What do you all use to stop nasties growing in your mister bottle? Preservative? Or do you just keep it cool and rely on using it all before it goes bad?

lora410
April 11th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I have a question for you tap water and filter water users. Does the water go bad with just oil and no commercial stuff in it? I use distilled because I am afraid of the water going rancid.

Right now my bottle contains sunsilk tlc leave in lotion (which non of our hair likes cones so I have to get rid of it)a dropper full of moonschasers sweet success hair oil,and a pump of almond oil.

SylphideNoir
April 12th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Distilled water + rose water + Alba Botanica kukui nut oil. I use it all over and even on my sheets because it smells so good!

pariate
April 14th, 2008, 03:08 AM
I mixed up Kimberlily's Defrizz Spray on Friday. Went to use it on Saturday morning, fresh from the fridge and it was full of lumps! :eek: I couldn't figure out how it could develop mould overnight...

Then realised the jojoba oil had hardened in the cold. :lmao: :roll: :lol: I left it on the shelf for a few minutes and it was fine again.

I'm such an idiot sometimes :silly:

Celtic Queen
April 17th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Re-instated my own mister today ; filtered water + a blob of aloe vera (fruit of the desert colorless gel) and a blob of cone-less conditioner (Whole foods market lavender conditioner). It seemed to perk up my waves, which the aloe alone does not do.

Patrycja
April 17th, 2008, 03:04 PM
recreating mine today

Distilled water,aloe,Giovanni Leave In

changed it again---
distilled water,aloe,Giovanni Direct Leave-in,jojoba and eucalyptus oils

Kirin
April 17th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I've tried a few mister recipies, until i found my own variation that works for me

Water
Fruit of the earth aloe gel (1 squirt)
At one with nature leave in (1 squirt)
and two drops vegetable glycerine.

I'll mist.... oh 3-4 times during the day my hair just loves it.

MountainGypsy
April 17th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Hmmm....I don't have a mister...perhaps I need a mister!

Bellatrix
April 18th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Right now, coconut oil. However, it doesn't mist so much as squirt...

Kazazi
April 20th, 2008, 05:41 AM
how long do these various concoctions stay fresh? i presume you don't keep them in the fridge at all times? do you add anything as preservatives?

pariate
April 20th, 2008, 05:56 AM
how long do these various concoctions stay fresh? i presume you don't keep them in the fridge at all times? do you add anything as preservatives?

I think the general consensus is that people don't add preservatives, keep the stuff in the fridge and replace it after a week or so. Sorry, that's a bit vague! :oops:

I might add a little conditioner to mine too. My current favourite is L'Anza Dry Hair Moisture Treatment. Delicious! Makes my hair so incredibly soft.

1MegMeg
April 20th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I made my first mister today! :) Thought it would be good for moisturizing the length and sprucing up the waves between washes. In a 4 ounce spray bottle I mixed a squirt of Aloe Vera Gel, a squirt of Humectress Conditioner, and filled the rest with filtered water. I shook the bottle really well, but after a few minutes the contents still seem to separate and thicker conditioner and aloe gel float to the top. If I shake it again it's fine, but it doesn't stay mixed.

Is this normal? Did I use too much aloe and conditioner? Thank you in advance for your help!

Celtic Queen
April 20th, 2008, 02:33 PM
My own mix isn't doing very good... Creating big globs in the mister, as if not soluble enough. I keep it outside, so it is not the temperature as it happened to someone else on the thread.

So... Guess it is time for scientific thinking.
1: dissolve a bit of aloe gel alone, see.
2: dissolve a bit of conditioner alone, watch.
3: dissolve both, watch.

if 1 or 2 give those globs, then either the aloe or the conditioner is not soluble enough - or in too high concentration (can be tested by dilution).
if 1 and 2 are good and 3 "globs", then it is the mixture that does not interact well (as did happen with one of my conditioners for SMT) .

So, onward to science!

PhillyGirl1978@
April 20th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I don't mist, but I just wanted to say that when I read the title of this thread I totally thought "Mr. Bottle? Why would you name your bottle 'Mr.'?" and was very confused! :p I feel kind of silly now.

That just cracked me up!!

I have a little honey, AVG and water in mine.

Elle
April 20th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Plain ol' distilled water. :)

justgreen
April 21st, 2008, 07:54 AM
oooooooo look at the widdle Mothy and Michi!!!!!

pepperedmoth
April 22nd, 2008, 12:25 PM
Mwahaha, I didn't have a mister until I started reading this thread! Then I realized that I had a few ounces of rosewater stashed away (I had bought it mistaking it for cologne), and some jojoba oil (which my hair doesn't seem to like when it's applied neat), and some rosemary essential oil . . .

So my brand new mister has rosewater, jojoba oil and rosemary essential oil. The rose-rosemary combination scent is a bit odd.

For those of you combining oils and water, how do you get the emulsion so you're actually spraying a mix of both? I've just been shaking my bottle thoroughly before each use, but I've thought of doing it salad-dressing style: taking the rosewater and whipping in the jojoba oil drop by drop. Or is that too obsessive? ;-)

jesamyn
April 23rd, 2008, 11:17 PM
Nothing but water was in mine until I read this thread. Now it has a long squirt of FOTE Aloe Vera Gel too.

SylphideNoir
April 24th, 2008, 01:51 AM
pepperedmoth I just shake mine too.

Darya
April 25th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Mister #1: Distilled water - I also use this on my skin before moisturizing
Mister #2: Distilled water, drop veg. glycerin, healthy dollop of Giovanni Direct Leave-In

I don't use any special preservative anythings, just mix up about two ounces and use it up within the week. I have added all sorts of things to the mix and sometimes still add some jojoba oil but simpler seems to be better.

kwaniesiam
April 25th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Distilled water, aloe gel, tea tree, lavendar, eucalyptus, and peppermint essential oils. Very cooling and refreshing for a hot itchy scalp in the spring/summertime.

Moezland
April 26th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Distilled water, aloe vera gel(2 tablespoons), Biolage condish (2 tablespoons), about 10 drops Lime EO, and couple drops of vanilla fragrance oil.

buttons
April 26th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Distilled water. Aw I feel boring now. Maybe I should add tea tree oil...
hm :roll:

soleluna
May 4th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I want to try too! but what if I didn't keep it in the fridge? would it go bad?

whisper
May 4th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Winter:
Kimberlily's defrizzer recipe
2 tbsp aloe gel
1 tsp jojoba
water up to 4 oz mark

Summer:
Kimberlily's Defrizzer PLUS
glycerin (1 drop/ounce)
coconut oil (2 drops/ounce)

I do not refrigerate these mixtures and a double batch will last about a month.

For those who are getting globbies in their mister, I think it may be your conditioners doing that.

florenonite
May 6th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I want to try too! but what if I didn't keep it in the fridge? would it go bad?

I've got this question, too, as I have no fridge (I live in a university residence). I'm thinking of putting aloe and cone-free condish in mine.

Patrycja
May 7th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I've got this question, too, as I have no fridge (I live in a university residence). I'm thinking of putting aloe and cone-free condish in mine.

I always put those two ingredients in my bottle and haven't had a problem with it going bad yet.But,I also put some kind of carrier oil and a EO as well-so I don't know if that makes a big difference.Oh-and its almost always distilled water I use as well ;)

florenonite
May 7th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I always put those two ingredients in my bottle and haven't had a problem with it going bad yet.But,I also put some kind of carrier oil and a EO as well-so I don't know if that makes a big difference.Oh-and its almost always distilled water I use as well ;)

Thanks, I just used tap water, but I figure it'll be okay for a wee while, as it's not particularly warm here and the condish and AVG have got preservatives.

n3m3sis42
May 7th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I haven't been using this recently, but someone on a LiveJournal hair community recommended this spray when I was having problems with dry hair and oily roots. It's chamomile tea with a few drops of lavender EO.

It did seem to help a bit with my scalp greasies, but I ran out and haven't had that problem in a while, so right now I haven't been misting at all. :)

themostsilly
May 12th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I am thinking of starting to use a mister bottle for a leave in, since my hair has been more frizzy and dry looking lately. I thought about putting AVG, water, and condish. I have a sample size of Kiss my Face whenever condish, would this be okay to use in the mister bottle?

n3m3sis42
May 13th, 2008, 05:23 AM
I just made up a bottle of Kimberlily's defrizz spray this morning! Actually, it's a modified version because I don't have any jojoba oil and I have a big bottle of fractionated coconut oil that's just been sitting around unused (I use the virgin stuff on my face and occasionally to oil my hair).

So far, so good! :)

Marchpane
July 4th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I'm still trying to find some aloe gel, and then I'm definitely going to make a mister bottle. They sound like a great idea, and kind of fun because you can experiment putting different things in it. But where can I buy a mister bottle? :confused:

shellblue1
July 4th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Oh wow, let's see...I have a mix of L'oreal kids detangler, olive or avocado oil (can't remember which I put in there lol), and coconut oil. It works pretty good as a detangler after I wash my hair. I don't do any misting throughout the day though. I don't use much of the oil in the mix, maybe 5 drops or so.

Melisande
July 4th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Until now, I went with a fairly standard mixture: distilled water and rose water, a moderate amount of aloe vera gel, some drops of my fave conditioner and some drops of jojoba oil. Since my hb complains about the rose smell, I put in some drops of essential oil, either something citrussy.

But now that I have my new. wonderful. amazing camellia oil, I mixed distilled water with some drops of camellia oil.

It's like magic. My roots get a definite lift, my lengths get shiny, and my ends get moisturized. I boost the ends with more camellia oil, though.

this is my minimalist approach at the moment.

Alethia
July 5th, 2008, 06:25 PM
150mls water
1 tsp glycerine
2 tsps Aussie Luscious Long condish
1/2 tsp jojoba oil
2 drops each cedar, rosemary, mint, thyme, and lavender EO
1 ml mixed parabens (preservative)

I hope this works well for my hair because it's so light and flyaway these days. It needs something to weigh it down a bit.

SweetPea88
July 5th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I'm wondering if it's okay to put melted coconut oil into a mister or would it just re-solidify? TIA!

Alethia
July 5th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I'm pretty sure coconut oil would just resolidify unless you added an emulsifier.

Elettaria
July 5th, 2008, 07:07 PM
You can get coconut oil that's liquid at room temp, though. It's called fractionated coconut oil, as opposed to the non-fractionated stuff which is more or less solid at room temp. I have my liquid coconut oil in a spray bottle, and while I've discovered that spraying it directly onto the hair makes the hair far too oily, one spray onto my hand and then smoothing that over my hair does a pretty good job.

I remember using a mix of cider vinegar and water as a mister (actually I don't think I had a mister bottle at that time, I think I just mixed it up and sort of threw it on) when I was studying in England the other year, before the smoking ban, and would come home from the pub with my hair reeking. It did a fairly good job of getting the smell out. I'm intrigued by all these proper misting recipes, though, I must give them a try. Will boiled tap water do instead of distilled? And does it need to be a glass bottle, or will plastic do?

SweetPea88
July 5th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Thank you both!

Morag
July 6th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Oh, thank you all! I'm so excited! I had given up on misting - was using water, a smidge of aloe gel, a little lavender EO, rosemary EO, and grapefruit oil - and it seemed to be drying my hair out and making it fly worse, so I stopped. I realized while I was reading this thread that I wasn't using enough of the good stuff (and also remembered that my hair really, really doesn't like the grapefruit oil), so I tried a different mix:

3 squirts aloe vera gel
1 squirt VO5 Kiwi Lime conditioner
1 small squirt jojoba oil
3 drops rosemary EO
3-5 (lost track) drops Lavender EO
Several drops BPAL The Dormouse

It smells awesome. It shakes up and doesn't separate. It can be in the refrigerator, because jojoba oil doesn't solidify at that temperature.

I put it on the last half of my hair after washing. It seems to have made it a little thicker. So I squirted some on the top, too, to see if I could scrunch my crown, with no noticeable results. After my hair dried completely, when the ends felt a little crunchy I just re-squirted them, and now they feel just right.

TOTALLY AWESOME!

Slightly off topic, I want to mention that at this length I have always had horrible problems with split ends and breakage - that's why I couldn't keep my hair long. However, today I can't find a single split anywhere and it's been three months since my last trim. This is so amazing that I honestly don't know what to think. Whoopee!

n3m3sis42
July 6th, 2008, 09:59 AM
As of today, my mister bottle contains distilled water and about 3 tbsp of Goth Rosary Tea and Sympathy conditioner. We'll see how it works out. :)

Firefly
July 6th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I've been using Kimberlily's defrizz spray in mine, but now that it's summer I'm thinking of making up a second batch and adding a bit of conditioner to it. My second mister currently contains the spray I made up to clean my yoga mat though, so I may have to buy another. :rolleyes:

I keep my misters out, not refrigerated, and never have had them go bad. I do go through them pretty quickly though (within a month).

Loviatar
July 6th, 2008, 10:25 AM
New mister made today; just aloe vera gel and water. Later I may add some BPAL Harlot (rose and cinnamon) or some jasmine eo. I'm coveting camellia oil, though...

SweetPea88
July 6th, 2008, 11:55 AM
That's wonderful Moraq!

I just made up a very simple mister with distilled water and a squirt of some Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Conditioner (cone and protein free). It's really nice and helps smooth out my hair. I think misting is perfect for my hair as I use shampoo bars followed by a vinegar rinse but do not use conditioner.

Ciel
July 6th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Purified H20 and a few drops of jojoba oil. :)

jenna
July 6th, 2008, 02:00 PM
i've only tried this misting thing once. it was just tap water and some lavender EO.

and i learned that it's great for misting on the body to keep mosquitoes away!

i've been curious to try out other EO's and stuff but it's hard on the wallet.

burns_erin
July 7th, 2008, 03:16 PM
One bottle has a rosemary, basil, and mint tea I have made, this bottle changes somewhat, but always contains rosemary. SOmetiems it is sage also.

The other one has The Giovanni leave in, halved with water.

These I actually use as misters, however I also use the mister bottles for everything lese including my shampoo, drives DH nuts. He never knwos what to use when he runs out of his own product.

mommy2one05
July 7th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I'm wondering if it's okay to put melted coconut oil into a mister or would it just re-solidify? TIA!

When I used water, suave conditioner, and coconut oil in my misting bottle....the oil did not re -solidify.

Morag
July 11th, 2008, 08:57 PM
That's wonderful Moraq!

Oh, yes! Yes it is! I have sprayed with my new mixture every evening for five days, my hair is not oily, it is not trying to fly off my head, and it is very, very soft!

:joy:

Shorty89
July 11th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I currently use tap water and a bit of strawberry extract/oil to make it smell good. I'm debating putting in some oil, or a bit of aloe vera.

avraea
July 11th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Distilled water with a splash of camellia oil and a few drops of rosemary eo. It makes my hair amazingly soft, and when I mist before bunning, my bun curls look the best and are bouncier too. :)

Alethia
July 12th, 2008, 03:38 PM
150mls water
1 tsp glycerine
2 tsps Aussie Luscious Long condish
1/2 tsp jojoba oil
2 drops each cedar, rosemary, mint, thyme, and lavender EO
1 ml mixed parabens (preservative)

I hope this works well for my hair because it's so light and flyaway these days. It needs something to weigh it down a bit.

I've been using this since I made it and it's really good!! I used it on my DD tonight and when I'd given her a brush, she looked like this:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/Alethia99/Hair/12_7_08Length.jpg

LilyMunster
July 12th, 2008, 04:35 PM
One at bedside has orange blossom water.
One that I take for loonngg daily commute (no AC) in hot car has filtered water and lemongrass eo.
These are to beat the heat, skin and hair both.:cool:
Many for just hair:
Aloe vera, distilled and tea tree eo.
Distilled and BWOC conditioner.
Distilled, aloe, glycerine, jojoba, eo scent of choice.
And always have rosewater (food quality) on hand.

Patrycja
July 13th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Where can I find orange blossom water btw? I've heard quite a few members here talking about it.

I'm still trying to find some aloe gel, and then I'm definitely going to make a mister bottle. They sound like a great idea, and kind of fun because you can experiment putting different things in it. But where can I buy a mister bottle? :confused:

If you have a Sally Beauty Supply store near you or even something like that.That's were I bought mine.I don't know if Walmart carries it,I haven't noticed them.

herbgurl82
July 13th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Where can I find orange blossom water btw? I've heard quite a few members here talking about it.

Ethnic stores, such as Indian or Middle Eastern grocey stores might carry it. It is sometimes stocked in the Middle Eastern or Indian section of grocery stores. You can usually find it in a natural food store, or in the natural food section of your grocery store as well.

My mister bottle just has water and FOTE aloe gel in it at the moment. I haven't used it for my hair though: I've been spraying it on my skin at night when I am super hot and need to cool down. I'm thinking of putting some glycerin, rose water, and a pinch of aloe in spring water as a mix for my hair in mister soon.

Elanor
July 14th, 2008, 01:29 AM
My favorite mister mix contains
-2 parts tap water
-1 part my fave conditioner (XZ Xylitol, it's a Finnish brand)
-1 part or a little less almond oil
-some Yuzu essential oil for a lovely citrus smell

It makes my hair look shiny and fresh and easier to handle :)

Stacy_E
August 26th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I love reading the great mister bottle ideas here!

Currently my mister has distilled water and some Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. This conditioner smells so good! I use it to mist my hair before bunning.

EmmaRose
August 26th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Large bottle: Filtered water
Small bottle: Rose water, aloe vera juice, jojoba oil (In Kimberlily's proportions.)

When this runs out, I think I'm going to try some sweet almond oil instead of the jojoba. And the aloe vera I bought has a small amount of preservatives, so mine doesn't get nasty before I use it up.

Aqua Gal
August 27th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Rosewater- A couple of glugs
Jojoba Oil- 2 eyedroppers full
VO5 Free me Fresia- 2 squirts
Distilled Water

I'm thinking of adding some glycerin next time. I wish I had thought to actually measure out my ingredients, for future tweaking.

Missie
October 31st, 2008, 03:04 AM
how much rose water do you put in a mister bottle.. how much is a glug?

AngelInDisguise
November 2nd, 2008, 02:02 AM
I have to mister bottles at the moment.

In the first one I have orange blossom water with a few drops of concentrated Aloe Vera. I use this one mainly for moisturing my face but also for the hair when it's already greasy at the roots but the lengths have flyaways.

The second one is filled with tap water and a few drops of oil. I still have to find out which oil works best though. At the moment I use burdock root oil which my hair and scalp seem to love but it looks helplessly greasy. Even when I wear it in an up-do.

As my hair seems to simply love coconut also I now think about having a new mixture with a bit of coconut oil and emusifier.

chickpea
November 8th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I keep a small spray bottle in the refrigerator, to mist my hair on non-wash days. Right now it has filtered water, a teaspoon of V05 vanilla mint conditioner, a few drops of vegetable glycerin, and a few drops of avocado oil. I shake up the bottle before using each time.

Keeping the mixture cold seems to help tame frizzies, and it feels nice in warmer weather. :wacko:

FlyBabyTina
November 8th, 2008, 08:02 PM
WOW! What a great thread! All I have for oil right now is EVOO and castor oil (for my OCM) I was thinking a mixture of aloe gel (I have clear FOTE that I love) EVOO and maybe a couple drops of tea tree oil just because I love the smell. I just don't know how much of each to use. I will also be using distilled water since my tap water is hard and chlorinated. I also am intrigued by using diluted teas and diluted conditioners. I see lots of experiments in my future!

susiemw
November 9th, 2008, 11:00 AM
dumb question for the day.... what is
rose water?

I remember using a mix of cider vinegar and water as a mister (actually I don't think I had a mister bottle at that time, I think I just mixed it up and sort of threw it on) when I was studying in England the other year, before the smoking ban, and would come home from the pub with my hair reeking.

That is brilliant.
My family owns a blues bar and I hate the smell of smoke... and I hate reeking of smoke but I don't always want to immediately shower... I'll be trying this out on my hair to see if that will get rid of the smokey smell.

thank you! thank you! thank you! for a great idea.

:cheese:

hipmama1970
November 11th, 2008, 04:23 AM
This is a fascinating thread. I have a couple of questions.

1) Why do you need to mist your hair? I've never done this. I'm assuming the reason you mist it will lead you towards the ingredients you put in?

2) Where do you find a small spray bottle? I only ever see the huge ones made for cleaning products.

Thanks!

susiemw
November 11th, 2008, 10:46 AM
2) Where do you find a small spray bottle? I only ever see the huge ones made for cleaning products.

I find them In the "trial size" section of pharmacies, walmart, target etc.

Susan

DarleneH
March 28th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I'm trying a liquid leave-in condition, a squirt of aloe gel, and scented with sandalwood as a mist. I may have to cut it with some water, though, if the leave-in conditioner proves too oily for my hair. I left some room at the top of the bottle just in case.

~GypsyCurls~
April 2nd, 2009, 05:32 PM
Okay, I have a question. How do you get the oil to mix with the water? i tried just adding a bit of macadamia oil to some water in a mister bottle, but it separated. Should I just shake it up to mix it every time I use it?

twilight_faerie
April 2nd, 2009, 06:02 PM
Okay, I have a question. How do you get the oil to mix with the water? i tried just adding a bit of macadamia oil to some water in a mister bottle, but it separated. Should I just shake it up to mix it every time I use it?

That's what I've always done. Oil and water can't chemically combine.

~GypsyCurls~
April 2nd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Okay, didn't think so. Thanks for the reply :) I think I will start using my lil' purple spritz bottle with macadamia oil and water :)

alligatorbaby23
April 2nd, 2009, 10:40 PM
I mist with some water, BPAL smellie ( gaueko atm) and a bit of natures gate condish. Then I oil, to lock in the moisture. I still shake it before use, but no worries about getting the oil mixed in so thoroughly.

Lile
April 3rd, 2009, 05:57 AM
1.for the scalp: rosewater,or herbal tea(catnip mainly)

2.for the length when needed: rosewater with some glycerin.

RocketDog
April 3rd, 2009, 10:29 AM
I cup distilled water and 10 drops of lavender/tea tree essential oil.

K_Angel
April 5th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Great thread! I bought a mister and now just have to figure out the right combo for me. :)

~GypsyCurls~
April 5th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Right now it's Giovanni Direct Leave-in diluted with some water to make it portable and spray-able! I just started using this and so far I love the results.

nueinsel
April 6th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks for all the ideas, guys.

mechanolatry
November 4th, 2009, 09:48 AM
At the moment:
filtered water, FOTE aloe gel and about 10 drops of Rosewater. I got my small travel sized mister at Walmart.

Looking into coconut or jojoba oil to add in the future, but I need to buy them first. :)

Finoriel
November 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Since the weather got cold and dry again I switched to misting my hair in the mornings again. Hey, it´s not easy to comb hair longer than ones arms, but nearly impossible to comb electricified hair longer than ones arms :lol:.
For now I have (ridiculous soft) tapwater, olive oil and one or two drops of patchouli, grapefruit and ylang-ylang EO for scent.

Shermie Girl
November 4th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Water, a small dollop of cone free conditioner, aloe gel and a few drops of jojoba oil. :D

SimplyViki
November 5th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Oh, a whole mess of stuff. :D Suave Coconut condish, some coney serum, a couple drops of jojoba oil, some Infusium 23 Repairologie spray, and um... some sort of root volumizer spray from Garnier. :p Oh yeah, and distilled water to make all that stuff sprayable. Oh yeah, and some glycerin too. And I think I put a squirt of aloe in there. :ponder: Wow, I put more stuff in there than I realized.

mechanolatry
November 5th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Wow SimplyViki thats a lot of ingredients! How's it working out for your hair?

SimplyViki
November 5th, 2009, 12:54 PM
:shrug: Just feels like leave-in conditioner to me. LOL!

mechanolatry
November 5th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Well it sounds good to me! I've been wanting to put more things into my own mister but was kinda worried to. Now you've inspired me to go crazy! :cheese:

Vrushali
November 5th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Another vote for Kimberlily's defrizz spray :)

pinchbeck
November 5th, 2009, 06:11 PM
where do you get your eos from, by curiosity? I should restart my mister. I'd like a small "travel-size" one, has anybody found a good travel solution?

If you're looking for a wee mister you can go to the variety store and pick up one of those liquid candy spray misters that children spray in their mouths. It comes in sour apple or sour cherry flavour. Just be sure to rinse the bottle out. lol

KatanyaG
November 5th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I've only ever put water in my mister, but after reading this thread, I think I'm going to try Kimberlily's defrizz spray! I'm going to add a fair amount more of aloe into it though - it might calm my scalp down (which not even apple cider vinegar has fixed!)

Aer
November 5th, 2009, 11:39 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!:laugh:

KatanyaG
November 6th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Hmm, so I've tried it!

It seems that my conditioner doesn't mix too well. I used aloe gel (4 pumps), some coconut oil and some pears dry hair conditioner (because it smells nice!).

First mix I tried it with cold water and shook it like mad, and the conditioner was kind of... clumpy... inside. So I thought maybe it's either the conditioner or the coconut oil, so I tried it with boiling water next, and the same thing happened again!

So... how do you mix the ingredients together to make it smooth?

I'm going to use what I've got at the moment though - it smells so nice! But just so I know for next time. Thanks :)

Linda K
November 6th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Since I couldn't sleep, I spent most of the night reading here at LHC and stumbled upon this ...

My first mix: aprox: 1 tsp Aloe gel; 1tsp sweet Almond; 1tsp VO5 Honeydew and distilled water.
Then I realized I only had a 2 oz bottle but thought my hair seemed dry enough so I sprayed some on. Yuck - looked 'stringy' at the crown - ho hum on the lower half and didn't feel good.
I dumped it over into an Infusium 23 spray bottle w/ aprox an ounce of diluted Infusium in it - maybe try it again at another time.

Rinsed out the 2 oz bottle and went w/ a strong tsp aloe gel; 1 tsp Carol's Dgtr smoothie; a few drops Sw. Almond oil and shook that up good with distilled water. It also blended together very well.

I "washed" my hair w/ VO5 Honeydew and only worked in a quarter size of ION curl creme.
Waiting for this to dry to see how it feels before doing anything more.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the second mix ... I think there was just too much oil in the first one. Ylang Ylang is a favorite EO here! 8-)

mechanolatry
November 8th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Linda K, what is carol's Dgtr smoothie?

Jennie80
November 12th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Hi everyone. I`m a little lost in this thread..hmm.. I don´t mist or what you called it. Why do you do that and how do you now what to put in the bottle??
My hair is dry because of many highlights,bleach and I need something to put in the hair on a daily bases.. I use coconut oil a few times a week but I need something to leave in the hair. How do you do?? make or what you do haha. lol..
I´m at BSL and want to grow more so I need some advise..
Hugs from Sweden..

JaneinMarch
November 12th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I have rosewater for misting. I may add bottled water to stretch it. Stuff is expensive!

Loviatar
November 13th, 2009, 07:47 AM
My mister is now 1/4 a tsp Biolage conditioning balm, 1/4 a tsp Body shop banana conditioner and the rest is water. It's 100ml.

fawn
November 13th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I don't generally use a mister, but I do have one for my daughter. She uses for a pre-brush detangler.

For her, I mix:
1tsp aloe gel
1/4 tsp silicone serum
1/4 tsp Gro8 Hair oil
1tsp Shea All Naturals shea leave-in
6 drops lavendar and vanilla essential oil
1tsp white vinegar
8oz water

gunjee
November 15th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Currently I have 1 tsp ACV, 1 tsp aloe gel, 1 tsp glycerine, 1 tsp sea salt, and 10 drops each of 3 Body Shop perfume oils (sandalwood, jasmine, and vanilla) topped off with tap water mixed into an 8 oz mister. The sea salt adds a bit of definition to my curls and cuts the frizz down. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but I still only need to wash my hair once a week and I haven't noticed any damage though it's been a good month since I made the mixture and I use it every day just on my length.

Other than that, I'm still using Jessie's essential oil mix for hairloss and shedding mixed into a mixture of aloe gel and carrier oil on my scalp every night.

-Shilpa

Leisje
November 15th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Currently using aloe vera gel, avocado oil, camellia oil, sea buckthorn oil, hydrovance(similar properties of glycerin) and a few drops of lavender and sandalwood essential oils.

So, quite a bit going on.

Teakafrog
December 13th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I just randomly add stuff to mine, but it's usually a mix of aloe, an oil blend, and a few drops of glycerine in water. I also have one with plain water.

bebei
December 14th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Loviatar - "This is the signature of a killer, Bella! *sparkle*" - LOL!

Jessikinz
December 14th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Water, about a tbsp of suave coconut conditioner, and tbsp of aloe vera gel. I like to give my hair a good spray of this stuff in the morning before I start my regular routines. Helps bring moisture back in the hair.

Nae
December 14th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Oh brother, am I slow on the uptake today or what?
:rolleyes:

I looked at the thread and said to myself Mister Bottle, who is Mister Bottle???:confused:

For some reason I kept thinking about Mr. Noodle from Sesame Street. :shrug:

Brownie
December 15th, 2009, 11:13 AM
In my mister bottle is plain water :shrug:
I use it to calm down my hair a bit before I brush it.

Natalia
December 15th, 2009, 11:26 PM
1.for the scalp: rosewater,or herbal tea(catnip mainly)

2.for the length when needed: rosewater with some glycerin.

Just the person i came looking for :). I have been experimenting with catnip as conditioner on my WO days and was wondering how it would do in a mister. Does i work well on preventing splits that way? Is it conditioning? I have never left it in before.

Anyone else try this?

rogue_psyche
December 16th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Just the person i came looking for :). I have been experimenting with catnip as conditioner on my WO days and was wondering how it would do in a mister. Does i work well on preventing splits that way? Is it conditioning? I have never left it in before.

Anyone else try this?

During a camping trip I used catnip tea to combat the dryness of the mountain air, and exposure to sun and lakewater. It kept my hair soft and didn't make me get greasy faster, but you have different standards of cleanliness when your camping. I haven't used it as a leave-in since, but it would be worth experimenting with.

ETA: Oh, and how have you results been with WO and catnip? What's your technique? Is it cleansing or just moisturizing? I get itchies if I go WO for four or more days. I wonder if the catnip might help with that. Or maybe I need to invest in a scritching comb. :shrug:

LilyMunster
December 16th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Different combos:
mostly conditoner and distilled water

one also has jojoba, aloe, and glycerine as well w condish.

Natalia
December 16th, 2009, 01:27 AM
During a camping trip I used catnip tea to combat the dryness of the mountain air, and exposure to sun and lakewater. It kept my hair soft and didn't make me get greasy faster, but you have different standards of cleanliness when your camping. I haven't used it as a leave-in since, but it would be worth experimenting with.

ETA: Oh, and how have you results been with WO and catnip? What's your technique? Is it cleansing or just moisturizing? I get itchies if I go WO for four or more days. I wonder if the catnip might help with that. Or maybe I need to invest in a scritching comb. :shrug:

Hi rogue_psyche :flowers: ! Thank you for the reply :). Its great to hear that it helped combat the dryness of the air. I live near the beach and though unusual we have been having a serious cold snap here which is really drying out my hair between the cold and the salt in the air not good for me... As for standards of cleanliness lol my life has been a marathon of chaos since the beggining of november there has been so much going on that if i have acces to a hot shower im often to tiered to deal with my hair if i take one at all. I feel like im camping most of the time :p.

Im new to WO but so far any itchies ive had arent that bad or really all that out of the ordinary for me when i havent had time to do COing and a vinager rinse like lately. As for techniqe i really have only done 2 proper catnip treatments where i soaked my clean dry hair with it (scalp and all) and bagged it up for 45 minutes to an hour and a half before showering and rining it out. I usually just brew it up (covered btw) let it steep for a half hour or so by which time its cooled then strain it take to the shower with me give my scalp a good WO wash/scalp massage and rinse the length well, squeeze the water out dunk well in the catnip then pour it over my head, let sit for five or more minutes then rinse lightly. Thats it really, lol i have a thing for detail can you tell?

Its seems more balancing to me its seems to help spread any extra sebum i get at my nape area out while moisturing the length and giving awesome shine all around :). Im sorry im not familiar with your regular routine, do you shampoo regularly? I have been CO for awhile now somy sclp is already adjusted to no longer over produce which has cut down on the itchies quite a bit. So maybe thats your issue with WO? If you already CO maybe you jus ned to scalp massage more?

Im not really much help as ive just started experimenting with this and honestly i started purely out of need since i have literally zero money (even food this month is on credit :( ) and im near out of conditioner and cant afford to spendmy money there. Figure i have alot of catnip from my kittyso might as well give it and WO a try. Its here and its free lol.

Anyway i hope you sort out your WO issue :) good luck and thanks again for the input. As soon as i get a second mister i'll give it a go.

rogue_psyche
December 16th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Hi rogue_psyche :flowers: ! Thank you for the reply :). Its great to hear that it helped combat the dryness of the air. I live near the beach and though unusual we have been having a serious cold snap here which is really drying out my hair between the cold and the salt in the air not good for me... As for standards of cleanliness lol my life has been a marathon of chaos since the beggining of november there has been so much going on that if i have acces to a hot shower im often to tiered to deal with my hair if i take one at all. I feel like im camping most of the time :p.

Im new to WO but so far any itchies ive had arent that bad or really all that out of the ordinary for me when i havent had time to do COing and a vinager rinse like lately. As for techniqe i really have only done 2 proper catnip treatments where i soaked my clean dry hair with it (scalp and all) and bagged it up for 45 minutes to an hour and a half before showering and rining it out. I usually just brew it up (covered btw) let it steep for a half hour or so by which time its cooled then strain it take to the shower with me give my scalp a good WO wash/scalp massage and rinse the length well, squeeze the water out dunk well in the catnip then pour it over my head, let sit for five or more minutes then rinse lightly. Thats it really, lol i have a thing for detail can you tell?

Its seems more balancing to me its seems to help spread any extra sebum i get at my nape area out while moisturing the length and giving awesome shine all around :). Im sorry im not familiar with your regular routine, do you shampoo regularly? I have been CO for awhile now somy sclp is already adjusted to no longer over produce which has cut down on the itchies quite a bit. So maybe thats your issue with WO? If you already CO maybe you jus ned to scalp massage more?

Im not really much help as ive just started experimenting with this and honestly i started purely out of need since i have literally zero money (even food this month is on credit :( ) and im near out of conditioner and cant afford to spendmy money there. Figure i have alot of catnip from my kittyso might as well give it and WO a try. Its here and its free lol.

Anyway i hope you sort out your WO issue :) good luck and thanks again for the input. As soon as i get a second mister i'll give it a go.

I wash with a low-poo shampoo twice a week, but would like to be able to wash less because it seems that washing my hair contributes a lot to my henna fading. I don't mind looking slightly greasy toward the end of the week but the itching is a deal breaker. I think catnip tea WO would be worthwhile to try.

Naamah
December 16th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Mine just has Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner and water. Looking at everyone elses, though, I may experiment. :D

Natalia
December 20th, 2009, 12:48 AM
First mix I tried it with cold water and shook it like mad, and the conditioner was kind of... clumpy... inside. So I thought maybe it's either the conditioner or the coconut oil, so I tried it with boiling water next, and the same thing happened again!

Hey KatanyaG :). My vote would be for the coconut oil. Since it is solid at room temp it doesnt tend to mix well with anything other than liquid oils. If your really invested in using some coconut oil in there i would mix it with something very thin maybe grapeseed oil? havent tried it in a water blend but maybe if you premix the two it will raise the temp it takes to solidify? Hopefully someone else can give you a better solution. Good luck

I wash with a low-poo shampoo twice a week, but would like to be able to wash less because it seems that washing my hair contributes a lot to my henna fading. I don't mind looking slightly greasy toward the end of the week but the itching is a deal breaker. I think catnip tea WO would be worthwhile to try.

Yeah itching is hard to deal with. Especially when your out and about with an updo on urgh! Drives me mad like that. Ive decided to take a better look at WO. When i first started doing CO my hair needed some serious rehab and slip to detangle it till i got it in better shape now my hair seems to like this WO and catnip thing. I sticking to SMT's though and misting but i think the SMT's mightbe my new "wash" method when this WO and catnip get smy ends too dry. Did ashort CO in the shower day before last and my hair was not happy :mad: greasy, stringy, and clingy its much better today after my WO last night. Thats convinced me :D. Hope the catnip canhelpwith your itchies :).

P.S. I dont know if you are opposed to it or not but when my scalp was recovering from sulfates along with the ACV rinses putting a bit of emu oil on scalp massage style was helpful too.

Mannaz
December 20th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Right now mine contains

water
cone-free conditioner
camellia oil
ylang ylang EO

I use it after washing on damp hair and on non-wash days to moisturize and tame the frizz, works well for me and the scent is :thumbsup:

Marika
December 30th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I filled up my very first mister with:

150 ml tap water
a squirt of Tigi Oatmeal & Honey conditioner (cone-free)
a squirt of aloe vera gel
a few drops of Nightblooming's Triple Moon Hair & Scalp Anointing oil

I use this both on dry and damp hair. It gives a lot of shine and lovely waves even if I don't damp bun/braid!:)

K_Angel
January 1st, 2010, 01:06 AM
***********bump************

Natalia
January 1st, 2010, 02:09 AM
As of yesterday it has CS sleepy time tea in it. Tomorow it will probably have that plus a good amount of rosemarry and some sage if i can find it :).

jesamyn
January 28th, 2010, 01:45 PM
As of today, it has a mixture of water and Biotera Curl Creme. My hair seems to like this!

Leneveu
January 28th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Water, glycerine and a few drops of blood orange EO :cloud9:

K_Angel
January 29th, 2010, 12:30 AM
So far, Rosewater, but I'm starting to feel a little adventurous! :laugh:

I've grown a little afraid of glycerin lately (it is a water monster if not done right! :justy: )
but maybe just a drop in the rosewater would be good.... :)

Fayjoi
January 29th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Filtered water with a bit of conditioner (cone-free). Sometimes I add some oil too.
At the moment I'm trying out the AO Camelia conditioner. I tried it a few month ago after shampooing and it gave me greasy hair. My hair seems to like it in the mister :)

Red_Head_Reader
January 29th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Right now, my favorite mix is filtered water, Suave coconut conditioner, and coconut oil :)

chotee
January 30th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Hi everybody,
I got interested in this thread recently because i have been misting my hair every day trying to stretch my wash. But my mister bottle doesn't have anything oily since even a little oil makes my hair limp. So, its mostly tea's. but i see very few using tea. And those of you who do use tea is mostly rosemary, sage or catnip. Have anybody tried ginseng, hibiscus flowers, mint, fenugreek and tea leaves. they are all great for growing hair and since its not oily, should be great for leave ins. I am using ginseng tea right now and its working. would slowly start using hibiscus and mint as they are available in plenty. thanks

kittymomma
January 31st, 2010, 10:57 AM
One mister and one watered-down gel "pump" bottle (reused Biolage pump bottle):

Mister:
Distilled water
Aloe juice (not gel)
Tiny bit of sea salt
Tiny bit of castor oil

Pump:
Distilled water
Couple drops tea tree oil
Couple big squirts of HE Set Me Up gel
Couple big squirts of aloe gel
Tiny bit of jojoba oil

I can't use undiluted gel on my hair because EVERYTHING seems to weigh it down, but if I dilute the SMU and aloe gel, it doesn't get crunchy, and the waves (such as they are) seem to "clump."

Using castor oil for the mister because it's supposed to be more "astringent" and my hair gets oily before a day's out!

Anyone had good/bad experience with castor? I use it for oil-cleansing method on my face, but decided to try it in hair, no bad stuff yet... :cheese:

Svenja
January 31st, 2010, 11:03 AM
My Mr Bottle contains water, 2 cm Naked 97% conditioner, 2 drops of almond oil.

Natalia
February 2nd, 2010, 11:24 PM
Hi everybody,
I got interested in this thread recently because i have been misting my hair every day trying to stretch my wash. But my mister bottle doesn't have anything oily since even a little oil makes my hair limp. So, its mostly tea's. but i see very few using tea. And those of you who do use tea is mostly rosemary, sage or catnip. Have anybody tried ginseng, hibiscus flowers, mint, fenugreek and tea leaves. they are all great for growing hair and since its not oily, should be great for leave ins. I am using ginseng tea right now and its working. would slowly start using hibiscus and mint as they are available in plenty. thanks

I got off track with my tea experiment last few weeks but i cleaned my misters and am ready to start again. I believe i have some ginseng tea arround. I would use hibiscus but i only have powder and i dont feel like brewing and straining to avoid clogging yet another mister, same for fenugreek. Does ginseng lighten, darken, or stay neutral? Havent tried straight mint tea but i like peppermint EO in my kimberlily's :).

Anyone had good/bad experience with castor? I use it for oil-cleansing method on my face, but decided to try it in hair, no bad stuff yet... :cheese:

Hey KittyMomma :). Havent tried castor on my hair yet as i just started experimenting with it in my lotion. Gives great glide there which was supprising for its naturally stick consitancy. Is there anything in particular you like about it? Does it give shine, detangle, ect....?

K_Angel
February 3rd, 2010, 02:29 AM
:waving: kittymomma!

I have the same problem in that everything I seem to use wants to weigh down my hair too! I would have thought Castor oil would have been too weighty for your fine hair? When you say, tiny bit... are we talking 2 drops in 8 oz. kind of tiny bit???

Also, I wanted to tell you about the 2a/F thread. Everyone shares what works and what doesn't work for their hair! It would be great to have you there sharing some of your successes! :)

Lorien
February 13th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I made a concotion with:

chamomille, rosemary and goji berry tea
honey (small amount)
coconut milk (the separated clear liquid mostly)
bee pollen (a pinch of the grains dissolved in water)
water

I misted the length and ends then brushed and I'm amazed at what it's done to them. I had hay-like dry ends from blow drying, not trimming in ages and hair dye, they were in pretty bad shape but this stuff in a matter of minutes has brought them back to life!

They're not just dry hair with oil but they are soft, moist and shiny :magic::cheer::heartbeat

kittymomma
February 13th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Hey KittyMomma :). Havent tried castor on my hair yet as i just started experimenting with it in my lotion. Gives great glide there which was supprising for its naturally stick consitancy. Is there anything in particular you like about it? Does it give shine, detangle, ect....?

I was thinking it was too astringent for hair, but I LOVE it in an OCM mix because my skin is an oil slick within minutes of washing...it IS really, REALLY sticky, so I mix it with jojoba or grapeseed for the OCM. I only use a teeny bit of it in my spray bottle, and I keep it in there for hair greasies, but I don't know whether it's enough to even affect my scalp, it's just another oil to play with! :wink:

:waving: kittymomma!

I have the same problem in that everything I seem to use wants to weigh down my hair too! I would have thought Castor oil would have been too weighty for your fine hair? When you say, tiny bit... are we talking 2 drops in 8 oz. kind of tiny bit???

Also, I wanted to tell you about the 2a/F thread. Everyone shares what works and what doesn't work for their hair! It would be great to have you there sharing some of your successes! :)

YAY, thank you!! I will be checking soon! I've spent WAAAY too long on the boards today...working up the courage to try honey lightening... :D

chotee
February 13th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I got off track with my tea experiment last few weeks but i cleaned my misters and am ready to start again. I believe i have some ginseng tea arround. I would use hibiscus but i only have powder and i dont feel like brewing and straining to avoid clogging yet another mister, same for fenugreek. Does ginseng lighten, darken, or stay neutral? Havent tried straight mint tea but i like peppermint EO in my kimberlily's :).

For me Ginseng is a bit darkening and nice hair growth. I have been using the tea as a leave in for past 2 months with reduced washes in between. But i know there are different ginseng roots available. also used rosemary and mint tea recently and i love the smell. I am interested in adding coconut milk... that was interesting...As with castor oil, i use it nowadays a day before my wash and it works wonders for me...its my most favourite oil i should say, though i mix it with coconut and amla oil...

little_cherry
February 13th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Mine's a simple mix! I use water, a little squirt of aloe vera and several drops of sweet almond oil :)

girloctopus
February 13th, 2010, 06:33 PM
My most recent mix was a squirt of Suave Cherry Blossom and distilled water. It was also my first attempt at using a mister! :D I think for my next mix, I'm going to do another squirt of a conditioner, with a few drops of jojoba oil and a small squirt of aloe vera gel :)

Natalia
February 18th, 2010, 05:19 PM
My mister has been empty for a bit since i found some unxepcted mold :p. I think i will do just plain aloe next since ive been doing the wavy thing this week.

BrightEyes
February 18th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I have in my mister bottle:

distilled water
a squirt of conditioner
a blob of aloe vera gel
a small squirt of fractionated coconut oil

I spray my hair with this and scrunch on no-wash days and I get pretty waves. I also use it on my daughter's curls, and they turn out very shiny and bouncy.

Beansidhe
February 18th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Right now I have one spray bottle with plain water, and another with a little bit of VO5 conditioner and a little aloe gel. After reading what people are saying here, I think I'm going to get some distilled water and experiment with some different things!

Marjolein
February 19th, 2010, 03:54 AM
I made a concotion with:

chamomille, rosemary and goji berry tea
honey (small amount)
coconut milk (the separated clear liquid mostly)
bee pollen (a pinch of the grains dissolved in water)
water

I misted the length and ends then brushed and I'm amazed at what it's done to them. I had hay-like dry ends from blow drying, not trimming in ages and hair dye, they were in pretty bad shape but this stuff in a matter of minutes has brought them back to life!

They're not just dry hair with oil but they are soft, moist and shiny :magic::cheer::heartbeat

Hi, your mix seems great, but just wondering, why the bee pollen?

Lorien
February 19th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Hi, your mix seems great, but just wondering, why the bee pollen?

Because of the high nutrient content.

Trollkona
February 19th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Right now my bottle is filled with:
Water
Aloe gel
American Cream conditioner from Lush
Tiny amount of jojobaoil

Marjolein
February 19th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Because of the high nutrient content.

Aah, thanks! Could you perhaps point me to a particular thread where I can read more about it? Particularly wondering about hay fever and bee pollen :confused:.

countryhopper
February 21st, 2010, 07:12 AM

Don't worry, I thought the same thing!

I was about to go post on the "You Know You're a Longhair..." thread:

"you know you're a long hair when you start naming your bottles, brushes, etc!":D

Marjolein
February 22nd, 2010, 08:47 AM

You know, it wasn't until this very post that the double meaning of "mister" clicked in my mind. I even had to reread this post a couple of times to get it. Second languages can be tricky that way :).

Dreams_in_Pink
February 22nd, 2010, 08:53 AM
I have a question: does anyone use water+EO mixture in their mister bottle, to use as hair fragrance?

countryhopper
February 23rd, 2010, 05:42 AM
You know, it wasn't until this very post that the double meaning of "mister" clicked in my mind. I even had to reread this post a couple of times to get it. Second languages can be tricky that way :).

Don't worry! English is my FIRST language, adn I still didn't get it! I'm a little slow...:D

Marjolein
February 24th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Don't worry! English is my FIRST language, adn I still didn't get it! I'm a little slow...:D

Aaw thanks countryhopper! That's a nice thing to say!

Upside Down
February 24th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I had a nice one last week, and really liked the effect.
Rosemary tea (strooong)
A bit of coconut oil
A bit of ylang ylang EO.

Simple, but effective, it gave me soft and (very) shiny hair.
However, what I don't like about the misters is that my hair gets oily faster. Partly because I comb more when I mist, partly because the oil that I mist on the lenght gets to the comb and then to my scalp.

Can't have it all, I guess :)

aef231
March 2nd, 2010, 11:58 AM
Filtered water, and a few drops each of rosemary, lavender, and tea tree essential oils. I like to focus it on my scalp and then do a nice scalp massage right before bed :sleep:. I do comb it through the length when I'm finished, makes my hair feel nice and silky without being greasy.

Natalia
March 3rd, 2010, 07:02 PM
Ok yeah the aloe got burried and forgoten :( now its a moldy mess again., Thats whathappend when you have four people 1 fridge and you and your hair dont make rank...

TiaKitty
March 3rd, 2010, 10:13 PM
I have two... one has aloe, glycerin, apricot oil, and orange oil with spring water.

The other is Citre-Shine conditioner, Aveda gel, and Infusium.

Depends on the condition of my hair on any particular day which I use.

little_cherry
March 4th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I've changed to rosewater & glycerin in water.

janeytilllie
March 6th, 2010, 07:10 AM
I use in my mister -

*Tap water
*Faith in Nature moisture conditioner
*3 drops of jojoba oil

My hair loves this and it really brings my waves :cloud9:

aef231
March 6th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I have a question: does anyone use water+EO mixture in their mister bottle, to use as hair fragrance?

I haven't, but assume you could. My EO/water mix scents my hair, although that's not why I use it :)

melikai
March 8th, 2010, 12:02 AM
My hair is really loving my hair mist! I made it using:

-green tea
-aloe gel
-avocado oil
-glycerin
-lavender EO

It has a gentle, elegant smell and makes my hair so soft. :inlove:

LadyJennifer
March 8th, 2010, 01:55 PM

I totally thought his too! LOL
I only just realized after reading this comment

Nae
April 1st, 2010, 06:32 AM
I am currently brewing up some yummies for my mister bottle per a suggestion from some of the wurlys and waveys. I was scrounging around the kitchen this morning and thought I would try some of my tea and a squirt of one of my cone free conditioners.

The tea has some Eleuthero root, peppermint leaves, cinnamon, ginger root, chamomile flowers, lemon grass, licorice root, catnip leaves, tilia flowers and hops. So we will see if that works to freshen up my waves.

Catnip is supposed to be good for split ends but I have heard tales of it being sticky as a leave in, I am also a Renegray so I hope it doesn't cause any color changes but I *think* that it will be such a small amount that it shouldn't be a big deal. I guess we will find out today eh?

I am bringing a hairtoy to classes today just in case lol.

ETA: This particular concotion is not so good. It made my hair dry and tangly. It also felt like I had put huge amounts of gel in it. I am not sure if it could be used like a gel or not but since I don't like gel I will go back to my kitchen witchery and come up with some other plan.

Purdy Bear
April 2nd, 2010, 11:14 AM
Ok Im new to all this, what is the mister used for?

Is it to calm down fly away hairs every day, ease of updos, protectorant etc?

Thanks
Purdy

elliebean184
April 2nd, 2010, 12:31 PM
I finally picked up some mister bottles at Rite-Aid and filled one today! In a 2.5 oz (~74mL) bottle, I added about 10mL conditioner (Suave Coconut), about 2mL jojoba oil, and filled to the top with distilled water.
Purdy, I use my mister bottle to refresh my curls in the morning if they've gotten a little spunky overnight. (i.e. minimizing flyaways) The extra moisture keeps the curls together and the conditioners and oil seals it in. Also, it smells good!

paperwhite
April 2nd, 2010, 12:59 PM
My current mix is in a 4 oz aluminum spray bottle (re-used Burt's Bees bottle) with about 4 oz of tap water and a few drops each of Clary Sage and Bergamot EOs. It smells nice and is light enough to use every day to refresh my hair in between washes. It seems like the simpler mixes work best for my hair--the last bottle I mixed up (aloe, water, vitamin E, and a little conditioner) made my hair a tangly, unruly mess. I couldn't even get my detangling comb through it without some trouble :/

Natalia
April 7th, 2010, 03:10 AM
Right now Kimberlily's made with castor oil and extra aloe.

freckles
April 8th, 2010, 10:50 PM
currently, water, aloe vera gel, and lavendar EO :)

Natalia
April 12th, 2010, 01:04 AM
This next time i think im just going for simple scent. A little water, glycerine, and EO's. My fridge seems to be colder than ususal and has been solidifying the oils even though we havent tweaked with it.

MandaMom2Three
April 12th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Distilled water, a little camellia oil and a drop each patchouli and ylang ylang oil. Maybe I'll add a little aloe :hmm:

LILBERT
April 12th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Im going to make up a mister bottle i love all your ideas! thanks guys! Ive never tried conditioner in my mister bottle before but im going to put a little bit in this time with water and sweet almond oil. :p

sunshine-locks
May 24th, 2010, 02:21 AM
mines normal water, vanilla extract and lavander oil :)

CaliforniaAnne
May 24th, 2010, 12:46 PM
So, I have a question--what are the mists supposed to do? Do they condition? Do various people use them for different purposes? When and how often do you use them?

halo_tightens
May 24th, 2010, 02:01 PM
My mix is different every time I refill Mr. Bottle, lol. At the moment, it contains water, a few drops of GVP Conditioning Balm, a touch of honey, and a few drops of hemp seed oil.

Everything's always "a few drops" with me; I never measure! :p

Chestershire
June 16th, 2010, 03:24 AM
mine is to stimulate growth rather than condition.
I use a Body shop leave in for that.
Mist:
Mostly distilled water
few drops rosemary oil and pine oil (it goes well together)
a few sprits of rose water.

Natalia
June 21st, 2010, 03:55 AM
Right now mold...... It got lost in the fridge again lol :o

kettle
June 21st, 2010, 05:57 AM
I just use chamomile tea with a few drops of jojoba.

Pimpernel
June 21st, 2010, 09:32 PM
I don't mist, but I just wanted to say that when I read the title of this thread I totally thought "Mr. Bottle? Why would you name your bottle 'Mr.'?" and was very confused! I feel kind of silly now.

Haha! Me too. Now I don't feel so silly since I'm not the only one.

zombi
July 3rd, 2010, 07:17 PM
Right now I've just been misting my hair with the lavender hydrosol I got from Mountain Rose Herbs. I think when it runs out I'll start mixing things into that bottle to mist from. Thanks for sharing what's in yours, everyone -- you've given me great ideas!

emmebean
July 3rd, 2010, 07:57 PM
This refill we're using honeysuckle and vanilla fragrance, we use the mister to help control Emme's curls and to scent the girls hair because they train gymnastics and dance daily and we don't wash daily, (every 2 to 3) but brush well :)

Boudicca
July 4th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Water, aloe vera gel, jojoba oil, geranium oil, and a glob of coconut and almond hair mask.

Kaihino
July 4th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Distilled water and Aura Cacia's "Tranquility" EO blend (lavender, balsam fir, patchouli, palmarosa, geranium, roman chamomile)

fair isle
July 4th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I keep playing around with the ratios for mine, currently I have aloe, jojoba, water, and equal parts linden and jasmine EO. It smells divine!

HairFaerie
July 7th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I am using a scalp oil at the time. It's in a small spray bottle.

Jojoba oil
Basil EO
Rosemary EO

I never thought to add water to it to create a "lighter" oil.

I have a question. As I read everyone's different formula, I noticed a lot of people use distilled water. Is there any particular reason for that?

I know distilled water doesn't contain the minerals that other water contains. Does that affect your hair differently?

Thank you!

Idun
July 7th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I have a question. As I read everyone's different formula, I noticed a lot of people use distilled water. Is there any particular reason for that?

I know distilled water doesn't contain the minerals that other water contains. Does that affect your hair differently?

Thank you!

I think the purpose of using destilled water is to reduce the problem of bacteria growth in your mix.

white line
July 7th, 2010, 07:45 PM

Thank you![/quote]

I do it because my tap water has alot of chlorine in it.

UltraBella
July 8th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I just clogged up my mister :( I thought I used the same combo as before, which worked super well, but I must have mixed something wrong ratio wise. It is coming out all separated and weird, like the conditioner portion is balling up into tiny bits.
Each time I used :
distilled water
Aloe Vera Gel
Grape seed oil
Garnier Triple Nutrition Conditioner

First time was great. This time is a small disaster. Literally need to dump it out and start again, but not sure what I did wrong.

AutumnSky
July 9th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Right now, a glug of jasmine water, a squirt of jojoba oil, a few drops of VO5 Chamomile Tea condish, a few drops of lemongrass EO and filtered, magntetized water.

Jenw777
July 9th, 2010, 01:46 PM
VO5, water, and some grapeseed.

RoseAnn
July 9th, 2010, 02:04 PM
My mix is different every time I refill Mr. Bottle, lol. At the moment, it contains water, a few drops of GVP Conditioning Balm, a touch of honey, and a few drops of hemp seed oil.

Everything's always "a few drops" with me; I never measure! :p

This is my exact mix right now lol!. I too change my mix everytime but the base is always water GVP Conditioning Balm.

ochikita
July 9th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I have a question about misting. It seems that an overwhelming majority of people who mist have curly hair. Are there some people here with stick straight hair use misters? What are your reasons? Thanks :)

paperwhite
July 10th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I have a question about misting. It seems that an overwhelming majority of people who mist have curly hair. Are there some people here with stick straight hair use misters? What are your reasons? Thanks :)

I mist my straight hair because it makes bunning my it a lot easier. My hair is really slippery and bunning it while dry requires more pins and whatnot and yields less pleasing results (drooping, hair slipping out, etc.) than doing so when it's a little damp. Also, I like adding a little bit of moisture back into my length after it's dried. My 4 oz. mister bottle's mostly water with 8-10 drops each of bergamot and clary sage. Just enough to add a little shine and a nice fragrance :) Hope that makes sense!

jane53
July 10th, 2010, 05:23 PM
When I first started posting/reading at LHC back in May, the Mr. Bottle thread reminded me that I used to use a mister. I always only had water in it, though. And I've gotten a mister again and used it with water. It is good for styling dry hair and getting hair smooth again after sleeping on it.

Now I'm wondering if I should add something.

I'm torn. My experiences with oiling (also recommended often by LHCers) have been awful.

I guess I could put a tiny drop of conditioner and a tiny drop of my perfume oil and have almost all of it be plain water.

Hmmm.

I'm cogitating on this.

ochikita
July 13th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Then I guess I can wait until my hair grows out enough for a nice bun :) Thank you

sunshine-locks
August 5th, 2010, 03:45 AM
At the moment, Im preparing a jasmine and vanilla mister :)

iceyblue
August 5th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Hello, just a short question here..
can you use this in hair?

http://www.thebodyshop.com/_en/_ww/catalog/product.aspx?ParentCatCode=C_HomeFragrance&CatCode=C_HomeFragrance_HomeFragranceOils&prdcode=82917m

thank you

marisa
September 30th, 2010, 07:11 PM
iceyblue~ I am not sure, really depends on the ingredients, but I would think most likely not.
Would definitely have to investigate what it's made from.

Current mister bottle blend~
water, orange blossom water, a dollop each of aloe and condish, a drop of argan oil

My favorite so far! :)

Natalia
October 2nd, 2010, 08:20 PM
I need to clean out my mister, my ends are in bad shape :( really in need of some kimberlilly's or even just aloe juice.

Dragon
October 3rd, 2010, 01:39 AM
Nouthing as I dont use one. I have tryed different ones but my hair doesent like it.

CrisDee
October 3rd, 2010, 03:59 AM
Water, jojoba oil, rose geranium EO and lavendar EO. Will have to add some aloe gel, didn't think of that when I mixed it.

RachelRain
October 3rd, 2010, 04:26 AM
5/6 of it is just water, with a couple drops of honey, a few squirts of conditioner, and 4 drops of bitter almond eo.

MinderMutsig
October 10th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Mine contains rosewater and jojoba oil. I might have overdone it on the oil though so I have to figure out a way to either dillute it more or to get some of the oil out.

As soon as I'm able to track down the ingrediënts I also plan on making one with orange blossom wate. I'm thinking of adding jojoba oil, lemongrass oil, grapefruit oil and perhaps some castor oil. And maybe I'll add some EO to my rosewater mister too just for the smell.

I'm wondering about rosewater though. I've read several people say they use foodsafe rosewater. Why does it have to be foodsafe? The non-foodsafe water is meant to be used for cosmetic purposes too right?

earthymamawitch
November 18th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Well I just made my first mister bottle today... 8 oz bottle, with 2 tsp toadstoolsoaps' leave-in condish, 1 tsp aloe vera gel, a few drops jojoba and a few drops camellia oil then filled up the rest of the way with distilled water. I don't usually do second day hair, it's a flat mess and kinda stringy even if I re-wet with water. So if Im not going out I will do an oiling and bandanna it, or if I am going out and need to look presentable I have to rewash. However the mister spray made it feel almost as nice as wash day, soft shiny and just a tiny bit less voluminous. Think it's a keeper! :cheer:

I learn the best stuff on LHCF!

Jenn

redheadlynn
November 18th, 2010, 02:10 PM

LOL!

Great ideas, guys

lajsa
November 19th, 2010, 04:09 AM
I got myself a cheap little mister bottle, and the day before yesterday I made a mix in it, with water, a few drops of sunflower oil, and a squirt of aloe vera gel. It turned out... chunky. So today I redid it with two drops of my favourite Aussie Luscious Long conditioner (oh noes, the bottle is empty now, and I have no money to buy neeeeeeeew :p), a squirt of aloe, and a few drops of sunflower oil. It turned out... chunkier. LOL. I think it's the aloe vera contributing to the chunks, and then it gets even worse when I add more conditioner. Pah, I don't care. Let it be chunky. I shake it thoroughly and apply anyway :D

But can I do something to stop the little chunks of white stuff floating around in my bottle? It's definitely not mold or something nasty like that, I just think some parts of my mix refuse to blend all the way with the water.

Naphthylamine
November 25th, 2010, 01:59 PM
But can I do something to stop the little chunks of white stuff floating around in my bottle? It's definitely not mold or something nasty like that, I just think some parts of my mix refuse to blend all the way with the water.

I think it won't be a problem if you shake it well to distribute the particles just before using.

And... I managed to prepare my first mister bottle! :D
I got a tiny 50ml bottle and added a squirt of Body Shop Rainforest Moisture conditioner, 2 drops of violet oil (smells fantastic!) and 2 drops of coconut oil. Then I filled one-third of the bottle with pure rosewater, and the rest with distilled water. There are suspended particles in the bottle but they mix when I shake it. My hair smells like freshly washed and it is soo soft that I can't stop touching it! :joy:

Even though I am content with the results, I will experiment more; because misting mixtures seem to help with my major hair issue: The tangly mess of frizz!

cuppycake
December 16th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Mine is

water
squirt of aussie 3 min miracle conditioner
squirt of color preserve pantene conditioner
dash of EVOO
dash of shine spray

Would is be ok to put a little body spray in it for smell? I don't have an EOs atm.

sandrak
December 17th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Right now I am really liking 2tsp. aloe, 2tsp. emu oil to 8 oz. water. So far it's working perfectly to keep my hair moisturized and static free.

minicana
December 17th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Thank you for all of the mister suggestions! I have been looking for a good mist, and there are a plethora of ideas in this thread. Thanks again.

myria
December 17th, 2010, 02:32 PM
mine is a mix of: (sorry for the technical measurements :p)
A squirt of cheap conditioner
A dab of glycerin
A few drops of oil
1 drop each lavender and rose oils
and water (tap)

MandaMom2Three
December 18th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I just picked up a new mister and mixed a teaspoon of Suave conditioner, 4 drops camellia oil and 1/8 tsp glycerin into 1 cup distilled water and put it in my new little mister. I originally planned to add a squirt of aloe too, but I've discovered aloe makes my mixtures all chunky and gross :confused:. Oh well, it didn't seem to do anything outstanding for my hair anyway :p.

patienceneeded
December 18th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Hmm...sounds like I'm going to need to get a mister bottle! This could be fun. What kind of essential oils do you all prefer for scent? Anything particular, or something I should definately stay away from?

LoversLullaby
December 18th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Just plain tap water, definitely not fancy. I rarely ever use it and when I do it's to help the wispys on my updos.

Gilly
December 18th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I bought a new mister bottle today and half filled it with warm water and added a small dollop of Panacea hair salve to it and shook it till it was melted and mixed. I spritzed this over my dry hair which was looking a bit parched and left it to dry again, I now have the most amazing waves and whurls!!!:cheese:

I am so happy!

Is there anything that this stuff can't do for my hair????
I love it!:cheese:

leandrahime
March 7th, 2011, 11:58 AM
1 part Suave Citrus Smoothie condish
4 parts tap water

I may start mixing up some crazy stuff thanks to all these good ideas!

I have two questions:

1. EO's are obvious, but can FO's be used? I know you wont get the healing properties, I just want to make sure they won't wreck my hair

2. What is a good blend to use directly (and only) on an itchy scalp?

Idun
March 7th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I bought a new mister bottle today and half filled it with warm water and added a small dollop of Panacea hair salve to it and shook it till it was melted and mixed. I spritzed this over my dry hair which was looking a bit parched and left it to dry again, I now have the most amazing waves and whurls!!!:cheese:

I am so happy!

Is there anything that this stuff can't do for my hair????
I love it!:cheese:

Great idea! I will definitely try that.

jeanniet
March 7th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I played around with Kimberlily's recipe quite a bit and it just wasn't working well for me, so I did some hunting around online and found an old recipe from someone in, I think, the LHC archives that uses AVG, oil, and water. The ratio is 3 parts AVG, 1 part jojoba oil (I use a jojoba, camellia, argan mix), and 1 part water. This works amazingly well for me for conditioning, detangling, and defrizzing. I just have to be careful not to overdo it because it's pretty heavy on oil.

Cirafly24
March 28th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I played around with Kimberlily's recipe quite a bit and it just wasn't working well for me, so I did some hunting around online and found an old recipe from someone in, I think, the LHC archives that uses AVG, oil, and water. The ratio is 3 parts AVG, 1 part jojoba oil (I use a jojoba, camellia, argan mix), and 1 part water. This works amazingly well for me for conditioning, detangling, and defrizzing. I just have to be careful not to overdo it because it's pretty heavy on oil.

These are the ingredients I use, but I go light on the oil. I use a 4oz mister with about 1/3 AVG, 2/3 tap water, and 5 drops of jojoba oil. I like to use this to dampen my hair when I braid...my braid waves come out smooth and super shiny.

dollface
March 30th, 2011, 10:06 PM
fun thread!

my mister bottle has:

olive oil
water
hask placenta serum 1/2 a vial
aloe and water lily suave natural conditioner

i hadn't been using a leave-in spray but after concocting my current leave-in i think it will be a fun part of caring for my hair. it left my hair really shiny, soft, and nice smelling. i want to experiment with EO's so that i can get the scent to last longer on my hair.....

i loved reading everyone's unique blends!

kaned_ferret
April 1st, 2011, 01:52 AM
I just wanted to say, since I've been here I for some reason always read/interpreted mister bottle as "Mr Bottle" - i.e. a named item - I thought I was missing out on some sort of "in" terminology lmao! *facepalm*

ladydiane818
April 1st, 2011, 12:34 PM
I have Wen Sweet Almond Mint Replenishing Mist. I love this stuff! It's aloe and shea butter mostly, with lots of nice herbal extracts in it, and no cones that I'm aware of. When it's gone, I'll start making my own, but I was on auto-delivery with QVC, so I have 3 bottles of it!

Natalia
April 1st, 2011, 09:25 PM
Havent had a mister in w hile btu when i get down to the store i think i will pick up some distilled water to try, Our water softner has been acting flukey for months and maybe that will help with some of my hard water hair issues.

Sgt.Pepper
April 1st, 2011, 10:39 PM
I just wanted to say, since I've been here I for some reason always read/interpreted mister bottle as "Mr Bottle" - i.e. a named item - I thought I was missing out on some sort of "in" terminology lmao! *facepalm*
me too :D

sounds great, I wanna make my own leave-in :cheese:
my hair got all frizzy while air dry, maybe just conditioning after shampoo isn't enough..

ooo
April 2nd, 2011, 04:40 AM
distilled water
rose water
brokoli seed oil
glycerin
emulgator (so I don't have to shake it like crazy)
protein (silk, I think)

RitaPG
April 2nd, 2011, 06:52 AM
Water. and a few drops of Monoi oil.
Sometimes I'll do it with a dop of conditioner instead, though I prefer the monoi scent :)

Asequui
April 2nd, 2011, 11:48 PM
Water
Some aloe vera gel
some avacado oil
some jojoba oil
some sweet almond oil
couple drops of tea tree EO
few drops of lavender EO

(gotta love these technical terms :p)

In a smaller bottle I have pretty much the same mixture with the addition of suave's shea butter and almond condish

deepsuperficial
April 24th, 2011, 04:12 PM
small amount of Garnier Triple Nutrition/Herbal Essences Hello Hydration/Jojoba oil and Water

trillian
April 24th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Orchid Fertilizer and water. I know. Not really what you were going for - but, it's what's in there!

dazeydayze
April 24th, 2011, 06:07 PM
:shocked: I think I need to get a mister bottle!!