PDA

View Full Version : Feye's self-trimmers - question about trimming with layers

Lucky
August 19th, 2008, 05:42 AM
I am very interested in trying Feye's self-trimming method for the straight across cut. However, I have shorter layers around my face that fall out when I pull my scrunchie down my pony tail, which makes me a bit hesitant to trim.

Has anyone had success self-trimming with layers? Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

Curlsgirl
August 19th, 2008, 05:53 AM
If you are saying you want to grow all your hair out to one length and get RID of the layers just do it like the directions say for the straight across trim. That's what I do and have done it since I started off with layers. Worked great!

Periwinkle
August 19th, 2008, 06:04 AM
I did my first self trim a week or two ago, and I trimmed all my layers. My hair is layered all the way around, from my chin to the ends. Here's how I did it:

1. Do a trim as directed on the site. This will trim just the very ends - forget about the layers for now.

2. Tip head on one side and brush all the hair so it's hanging down one side. This makes the layers easier to see. Start picking up the shorter ends and holding them. It gets easier once you get going.

3. Using a method of your choice, secure these shorter bits out of the way. I did a big floppy bun on top of my head with an elastic, but I got dreadful tangles so I'd recommend either using a scrunchie or clipping them with a jaw clip or fakkare/ficcare.

4. Straighten your head up and use two mirrors to see the bits of hair that you missed. Collect them and secure them out of the way as before.

5. Braid the hair that's still hanging down. This is to keep it out of the way while you're trimming the layers.

6. Comb the layers. Be careful not to pull on the braided hair; you might find it easier to do with your fingers.

7. Gather the layers into a pony and do a trim. When it's done, keep hold of the layers you trimmed and tie them into a pony.

8. Take the layers that fell out of the pony (if there are any) and hold them straight down. Trim the ends.

9. Take out the pony and check for any bits you missed. If you find them, fix them.

10. Tie the layers out of the way, unbraid the bottom, check for bits you missed, then take the layers down and comb out.

11. Admire!

Lucky
August 19th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the great advice!

Curlsgirl: I'm actually not trying to grow out my layers, sorry that it wasn't clear. I was wondering more if there was a way to self trim and preserve my layers, but I was frustrated because they kept falling out of my ponytail. I'm glad that you've had such good luck with it, I'm definitely going to try it!

Periwinkle: Thanks for the wonderful instructions, I'm going to hang on to these! I'm hoping to have time to trim some time this week or this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes!

FrannyG
August 19th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Good luck with the trim, Lucky. (Aw, that sounds so cute. :)) I'm sure you'll be successful, and what a sense of empowerment you'll have when you can trim your own hair!

melikai
August 29th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Has anyone had success self-trimming with layers? Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

Hi!

I trim my own layers easily and successfully by doing the following:

Dampen hair and comb it first with a wide tooth comb and then gently but thoroughly with a fine tooth comb all straight over your head from the back, so that you're looking at the floor and *all* of your hair is perpendicular to the floor (hopefully this makes sense - I can try to take a picture if you want). Then simply cut straight across!

I have trouble visualising how this works, but somehow it does. In order to not have blunt cut layers, I usually use razor scissors/thinning shears to make the ends more wispy.

I can see how this would become more difficult the longer your hair gets. As well, every few months I trim the bottom so it is more even, as I find there get to be too many layers and it looks ragged. But that's just me.

Hope this helps.

Hatsumomo
August 30th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I found a good way to maintain my layers when I used to have them purely by accident. I was hanging upside down and I realised that all of my hair was straight across as it hung down so I just tied it when I was upside down and cut. That was for allover layers though. If it's face-framing ones, melikai's method is better.

winter_star
August 30th, 2008, 05:41 AM
I have been wanting to start self-trimming my hair too. I can't seem to find a how-to thread on this. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Great instructions Periwinkle.

Hatsumomo
August 30th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Here (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/) you go :)

winter_star
August 30th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Thanks Hatsumomo! These instructions look good and really easy. I think i'll take some time to consider the consequences before I start trimming though. I'll cry if I stuff it up.

melikai
August 31st, 2008, 01:11 AM
I found a good way to maintain my layers when I used to have them purely by accident. I was hanging upside down and I realised that all of my hair was straight across as it hung down so I just tied it when I was upside down and cut. That was for allover layers though. If it's face-framing ones, melikai's method is better.

Yeah, your method is sort of what I meant, I think I just explained it poorly! :p

Hatsumomo
August 31st, 2008, 03:21 AM
Yeah, your method is sort of what I meant, I think I just explained it poorly! :p

Lol sorry if I came across smarta**e there, I thought you meant lean your head forward to do it which is another method (I've seen it in a few magazines). When I did mine, I was completely upside down which gives more layering. It depends what you want really:)