PDA

View Full Version : Is daily scalp washing with SLS free shampoo ok?

TheWebsIWeave
October 23rd, 2012, 01:03 PM
Hello LHC, I am a girl with an oily scalp. Oily scalp that is coupled with straight, light hair. I've tried many things to fight the oiliness : CO, BBB brushing (although i enjoy it a lot, it seems that there is so much oil that hair gets all greasy from the roots to the middle of the length!), stretching washes, etcetera. I can't help but to yearn for daily washed hair again. So, is washing the scalp daily with a diluted SLS-free shampoo while keeping the length drenched in conditioner as harmful to the hair than washing fully the hair with a SLS shampoo and keeping conditioner to a minimum twice a week? I also have a second question. Now that my hair is long (and unfortunately, i lack experience with this) i have more trouble letting it airdry. It takes hours that i dont have so i have to rely on the blowdrier recently. Is the cool setting, which is the only one i use,ok? Thanks a lot!

one_fine_lady
October 23rd, 2012, 01:40 PM
I have very similar hair to yours. Oily scalp, fine straight hair, and a lot of it.
What has worked for me is switching the shampoo I use. I was using Pantene for a long time and it turns out that it was actually drying out my scalp which made it over produce oil to compensate. I switched to an all natural, cones free, BALANCING shampoo and it has worked wonders. Now I only wash my hair every other day (and every third day if I'm just going to be around the house or working out). I use a BBB before I shower sometimes to even things out before I shampoo (plus, that gives me an excuse to use it haha I love the way the BBB feels).

In short: Over drying your scalp by using a shampoo that just isn't for you can make your scalp over produce oil to compensate.

I use my hair drier every now and then on a low/cold setting too. I haven't noticed any damage unless I over-dry or comb too hastily after and break the ends.

I hope this helps!

Loveisaverb
October 23rd, 2012, 01:49 PM
I'd say if it makes you happy and your scalp happy, go for it!
There are other daily washes on here as well and they don't seem to have a problem. Not everyones scalp likes stretching washes or other forms of hair washing, so do whats best for you.
Oh and about the blow drying, its fine as well since its on the cool setting and there are other users who do the same thing and report no damage.