PDA

View Full Version : Show me your fairytale endngs

WavyGirl
August 19th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I've read a lot of posts by people who say they like fairytale ends, but when I tried to find pictures there just didn't seem to be that many. So I thought maybe we could have a thread of some good examples.

As you can see in my siggy mine are heading that way fast although there is an abrupt demarcation between pre & post LHC hair. I'm hoping that will become less obvious as time goes by. Anyway, I could use some inspiration so if you are not trimming and want to show off the results, or have a photo of fairytales you admire this is the place to post.

NB. If it's someone else's shot make sure you get permission.

mira-chan
August 19th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I have fairytale ends and a length picture in my profile. My hair grows in a natural V plus I have some damage from wearing ponytails all the time and from SLS/SLES shampoo from before LHC.

socks
August 19th, 2008, 07:55 AM
My sig pic shows the fairytaling in my hair pretty well. My hair has a pretty even amount of taper until the last nine inches or so, where the ends start to thin out dramatically.

Periwinkle
August 19th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I have fairytale ends and a length picture in my profile. My hair grows in a natural V plus I have some damage from wearing ponytails all the time and from SLS/SLES shampoo from before LHC.

Wow! I'm not normally a fan of fairytail ends, but yours are just beautiful :o

WavyGirl
August 19th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Thanks for replying ladies. Those are lovely examples. I really hope that with a bit of patience I can persuade my hair to look like that!

LeaM07
August 19th, 2008, 09:47 AM
There's a hairtyping pic in my album here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=754&pictureid=8006) that shows mine. :)

ChatoyantLocks
August 19th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I think I have fairytale ends. I find the taper to be more noticeable when my hair is in a braid - my hair gradually narrows from being nearly as thick as my wrist, to a single longest hair. There are a couple of photos in my hair album.

Saranne772
August 19th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I want fairy tale ends so badly! :) But Im not developing them at all at the moment. I guess it is a good thing though as I suppose it means I will probably grow longer easily :) But I sure would like some fairytale ends!

Dulci
August 19th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I've got fairytale ends, my profile pic shows them pretty well.

trolleypup
August 19th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Mmm, some fairytale ends in my albums, mine and dianyla's.

Remember, any image you post on the Mane Forum is visible to the entire internet.

spidermom
August 19th, 2008, 10:12 AM
You might also want to take a look at the non-trimmer club thread; I'm sure there are plenty of fairy tale ends there. Also the non-trimmers measure in thread.

(I most decidedly do not have fairy tale ends so will remove my sig now.)

trolleypup
August 19th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I want fairy tale ends so badly! :) But Im not developing them at all at the moment. I guess it is a good thing though as I suppose it means I will probably grow longer easily :) But I sure would like some fairytale ends!
You are developing them, but it takes time...years! ;)

The closer you are to terminal, the sooner fairytale ends will develop after a trim.

Visible fairytaling, where the loose hair goes from a solid curtain to being see through occurs (depending on hair type) somewhere between 1% and 10% (of the original hair volume).

WavyGirl
August 19th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I am a member of the no-trimming club ;) but my resolution was wavering a little under the evil force of peer pressure. I'm so glad that all of you have responded to remind me just how beautiful fairytale hemlines can be. Thank you!

LeaM07
August 19th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Fairytales are also kind of nice in updos. The difference in thickness adds interest to braids (my avatar pic is just a plain braided bun) and the thin part at the end helps buns "stick" without adding extra thickness. My cinnabun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=754&pictureid=8062), for example, has two or three more layers underneath that you can't see -- makes my 'do very secure. :)

dorothea-brooke
August 19th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Fairytales are also kind of nice in updos. The difference in thickness adds interest to braids (my avatar pic is just a plain braided bun) and the thin part at the end helps buns "stick" without adding extra thickness. My cinnabun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=754&pictureid=8062), for example, has two or three more layers underneath that you can't see -- makes my 'do very secure. :)

That is cool, LeaM07! One thing that I've always wondered about, when trying to decide if I'm going to trim or not, is what fairytales would be like with updos. Question answered!

I actually think I need to decide this question fairly soon! Even though my hair is still pretty short, I've got a wicked taper going on. Well, most of it is due to layers, but the difference between the layered bits and the longest part is getting bigger and bigger....

So Wavy Girl, check back with me in a couple years and I might be part of this club! ;)

tuuli
August 19th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I have some pics in my album. :)

KatKeRo
August 19th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I'm fairytailing. you can see the result in my sigpic or my profilepic.

Shanarana
August 19th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I've read a lot of posts by people who say they like fairytale ends, but when I tried to find pictures there just didn't seem to be that many. So I thought maybe we could have a thread of some good examples.

As you can see in my siggy mine are heading that way fast although there is an abrupt demarcation between pre & post LHC hair. I'm hoping that will become less obvious as time goes by. Anyway, I could use some inspiration so if you are not trimming and want to show off the results, or have a photo of fairytales you admire this is the place to post.

NB. If it's someone else's shot make sure you get permission.

My ends were just like yours......though they look great on you, I did not like them on myself and ended up cutting them off. Something that took me many weeks to decide.

daydreamer08
August 19th, 2008, 04:40 PM
so i am new to this site, and though i have a vague idea what fairytale ends are, i want to be positive. so can someone explain them to meh please? thanks :D

mira-chan
August 19th, 2008, 04:53 PM
so i am new to this site, and though i have a vague idea what fairytale ends are, i want to be positive. so can someone explain them to meh please? thanks :D

Fairytale ends are hair hemline that has not been kept blunt by cutting. The hair was allowed to grow and shows the natural hemline with the hair ending at different lengths. Some hairs grow faster than others so the hair ends taper.

The reason for the name is that pictures in fairytale book illustrations and paintings often depict the hair with naturally tapering ends.

daydreamer08
August 19th, 2008, 05:48 PM
oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh. ok :smile: thanks. that sounds pretty neat, but do the ends split?

trolleypup
August 19th, 2008, 06:04 PM
thanks. that sounds pretty neat, but do the ends split?
The ends split the same as any hair, although, avoiding trims does mean that they have to be gotten with S&D (Search and Destroy (one by one))...although good hair care does mean that there are fewer splits.

daydreamer08
August 19th, 2008, 06:18 PM
hmmm...that sounds interesting. i think i might try that. what can it hurt?

SparklePi
August 19th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the clear explainations, Trolleypup and Mira-Chan! I was wondering too, if i fell into this category! Glad to know the facts on fairytale ends!
Guess that is where I'm headed but it's still blunt so maybe ages away from terminal, if so awesome! Now onto more S&D :D
Thanks again!

Morningglory
August 19th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I have some:)

Tressie
August 20th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Well, I finally figured out how to upload a picture into my signature.......whew! It's not a very good one, but I will do better later, maybe....he,he,he.

Here are my fairly tail ends......oops.........fairy tale that is.........time for bed! Read me a story about Rapunzel (spelling?) anyone?:D

DecafJane
August 20th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Does growing out from a pixie cut with no trims so there are a gazillion different layers count? Just kidding! ;)

I LOVE the look of those ends, and aspire to them myself. One day. *sigh* :)

WavyGirl
August 20th, 2008, 02:00 AM
My ends were just like yours......though they look great on you, I did not like them on myself and ended up cutting them off. Something that took me many weeks to decide.

Thanks for saying they look great. Not really sure I believe that though. It's just an awkward stage I figure I have to go through. My only other option is to trim to a V and make it fairly large to get rid of the rest of the damage and go from there. I just don't know if I will be better off doing that or just leaving them alone. Part of me thinks I've managed for this long I can stick it out and the other pat keeps wondering how long the process will take and if it wouldn't look better for a drastic trim. I normally wear it up and when it's down I encourage the wave so it only really looks like the picture when I take length shots.

Seeing all the beautiful fairytales here is making me impatient again. I have a reason to be grateful for my waves though, as IMHO wavy hair looks really good with fairytales.

Nini
August 20th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Here are my fairytale ends, with braid waves. My hair is stick straight, but I was having a good hairday today, and decided to try for a snapshot:)

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/502/august08qm6.th.jpg (http://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=august08qm6.jpg)

The pic is clickable.

Nini

Arctic
August 20th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I love fairytale ends! My plan is to keep my hair relatively blunt to MBL (midback length) and maybe little over that, then let it fairytale (U- or V- hem) to waist :) That is IF my hair agrees with my plans ;)

Meli
August 20th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=437&pictureid=16651) is a picture of mine. I :heartbeat fairytale ends too! Unfortunately I had to start trimming after this picture was taken, though - I had gotten to the point where my hair was not growing because of breakage. My hair is still more fairytaled than not, but it's just not the same with trims... Oh well, as soon as enough damage is gone I'll let it fairytale again.

Xandergrammy
August 20th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Here's mine... I have more pictures in my albums and in my blog.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/DSCN2401.jpg

daydreamer08
August 20th, 2008, 01:44 PM
ooh, i love how fairy tale ends look. they definitely make me think of rapunzel and such. i think i will definitely start heading down that path :D

jel
August 20th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Mine are due to growing out from a layered shoulder length cut. Oh, and not trimming for 3 years and counting! :D

This was in May:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=12014&albumid=40&dl=1210605130&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=40&pictureid=12014)

And this one's from the braid waves thread, with oiled ends:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=16756&albumid=40&dl=1215774441&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=40&pictureid=16756)

(Both are clickable)

Slug Yoga
August 20th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Hmm, I never thought I'd want to have fairytale ends, but y'all might be changing my mind!

HairColoredHair
August 20th, 2008, 07:22 PM
You can see mine in my profile. ;) (and the demarcation line of pre- and post-LHC. :lol: )

Cinnamon Hair
August 21st, 2008, 09:15 PM
I have fairytale ends, but I'm trying to grow them out to a more blunt hemline. Pics here. (http://classiclength.home.mchsi.com/hairphotos.html)

Tressie
August 21st, 2008, 10:25 PM
I have some:)
Love that scripture reference Morningglory!

ilovelonghair
August 21st, 2008, 10:54 PM
Here are mine:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=17540

Morningglory
August 21st, 2008, 11:06 PM
I love it too!:D

Boudicca
August 23rd, 2008, 01:23 PM
Here's mine:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z136/Boudicca_01/SN850070.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z136/Boudicca_01/SN850076.jpg

Xandergrammy
August 23rd, 2008, 05:05 PM
Boudicca, your hair is soooo pretty!! :inlove:

arylkin
August 23rd, 2008, 05:15 PM
Boudicca- your hair is stunning!!!

Boudicca
August 26th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Aw, thanks Xandergrammy and arylkin! :) You're both sweet!

getoffmyskittle
August 26th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I have them. I am fighting them tooth and nail though. :lol: My hair becomes very "fairytale"-y past hip. My profile photo shows this. The hemline is even because I trim a lot, but it definitely looks thinner and wispier.

heidihug
August 26th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Not entirely easy to see, as I was dumb enough to be wearing dark pants, but here they are in a length shot (that's braid waves, not natural, btw):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=611&pictureid=9203

My profile pic also shows them from the side. I don't particularly like them, but I am living with them, doing mini-trims every 3 to 6 months until my ends thicken up.

sahiba
August 27th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Mine is in my album.:)

WavyGirl
August 27th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Wow, there are some beautiful heads of hair here. I've decided to leave mine fairytailling. I may make a small trim at Christmas to make my hemline more V shaped but I'm not trimming all my fairlytales away. I love the look even more after seeing all of the photos you've posted or linked to. I am looking forward to a time when mine look planned. Thankyou again to everyone who took the time to respond.

pdy2kn6
August 27th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I really hope I am able to achieve fairy tale ends, yours are all so amazing. Do you guys think I will be able to if I just continue growing without any haircuts? My current hair can be seen in my photo bucket : http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s198/pdy2kn6/hair/
p.s. If the albumn is private the guest password is: private
god bless

sky
September 25th, 2008, 05:54 PM
The ends split the same as any hair, although, avoiding trims does mean that they have to be gotten with S&D (Search and Destroy (one by one))...although good hair care does mean that there are fewer splits.How does one do this "Search and Destroy" mission?

Do you just attack the ends that are long enough that you can see the splits?

I'm envisioning taking a thick strand of hair, twisting it and snipping off the little bits that stick out of the twist. Is it more complicated than that?

Thanks!

mira-chan
September 25th, 2008, 06:31 PM
How does one do this "Search and Destroy" mission?

Do you just attack the ends that are long enough that you can see the splits?

I'm envisioning taking a thick strand of hair, twisting it and snipping off the little bits that stick out of the twist. Is it more complicated than that?

Thanks!

Yes to looking at the hair long enough. I don't get splits in length that I can't pull in front of me so not a problem for me there.

I don't twist the hair. I take a clump and fold it over my finger and look at what sticks out, moving down the strand in search of splits. If it has a split, knot or break dot, it gets cut. If it's a tapered or split-less blunt end, it gets left alone. I go through as much hair as I feel like at the time. I don't have to get them all in one sitting. Sometimes I just see a split when the scissors are nearby, then I cut off the split and continue on with what I was doing.

AnneAdeline
September 25th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I love the look of both fairytale ends and blunt hemline. I can't decide! I'm trying to ease up on trimming, so it may just happen.

Sometimes I just see a split when the scissors are nearby, then I cut off the split and continue on with what I was doing.
I do this too. Sometimes I get distracted by my hair, though, and it takes a while to get back to what I was doing.:rolleyes:

AprilElf
September 25th, 2008, 09:58 PM
There are some very interesting bits of info in this thread. Stuff that I didn't know before, like these gems from trolleypup:

The closer you are to terminal, the sooner fairytale ends will develop after a trim.

Visible fairytaling, where the loose hair goes from a solid curtain to being see through occurs (depending on hair type) somewhere between 1% and 10% (of the original hair volume).I just did a small trim last night which didn't completely even up my ends, but nevertheless made my fairytale ends less pronounced. So I'll be keeping a close eye on my ends now, to see if they give me a clue as to whether I'm near terminal (oh, I hope not!).

Anyway, here is a photo that best shows my fairytale ends. It's from May, but the ends looked the same as this up until last night. ;)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn253/AprilElf/Misc%20LHC/th_P5070646.jpg (http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn253/AprilElf/Misc%20LHC/P5070646.jpg)
[clickable]

Honigwein
September 26th, 2008, 07:21 AM
So many beautiful hair pictures!! I have it too! Iīd like to be able to add some picture in here but I canīt! My profile has a recent picture.:D

Unnamed
September 26th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Thought I'd post to at least say I'm another with 'em! And depending on one's view of what they are, I've probably had them ever since I joined here four years ago. :lol: Current profile pic shows hair hanging mostly straight down.

Mine are a combination of starting with them, going 4 years with very little trimmed, old pre-LHC brush damage (every hair affected by this has a broken end--right now I think it's about tailbone on down?), and 3.5 years ago lost half my hair.

pdy2kn6
October 19th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Hello, does anyone know roughly how many years (how long) it would roughly take to develop significant OBVIOUS fairytale ends if they start off with a blunt cut?
God Bless

mira-chan
October 19th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Hello, does anyone know roughly how many years (how long) it would roughly take to develop significant OBVIOUS fairytale ends if they start off with a blunt cut?
God Bless

It depends on the person. Some people's hair grows evenly and it may take many years to develop visible fairytaleing. For others it only takes a couple of months.

willowcandra
March 4th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Question.
Is the search and destroy adequate enough to prevent damaged ends that lead to breakage?
Breakage stops my hair gaining length so I blunt cut.

I like the idea of fairytail ends but I am currently maintaining the length. Fairytailing would lead to extra length wouldn't it? I mean until you reach terminal.

Deimos
March 4th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Yay for fairytale ends ^^ My hair refuses to be in a blunt line so I decided to embrace my fairy ends.

Willowcandra: I have been doing S&D for some months now and together with wearing it up it really diminished the amount of split ends. Furthermore, the main difference with S&D is that you only cut the split/wonky ends and with a blunt cut both the split and healthy ends.

earthdancer
March 4th, 2009, 01:36 PM
S&D is the only way I can grow any length; I have a semi-blunt hem now because I have refused to blunt-trim the length (except 1" about twice a year) to get rid of split ends. People (non-LHC) I talk to about my split ends keep advising me to have several inches trimmed off to get rid of them, but you all know how that goes! Do that a couple of times a year and all your progress is gone. They think S&D is too much work, but hey, it keeps my hands busy while I'm watching tv!

So I've been into serious S&D for about a year. Before that, I didn't get split ends at all. I suppose my fine and fragile hair just reached the point where wear and tear is taking a toll. I feel lucky to have been able to grow my hair as long as I have at my age (50+).

rose.grace
January 14th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I've got fairytale ends, my profile pic shows them pretty well.
Oh this is the hair I want! Just gorgeous! Loving this thread. It's my favorite, so far :rockerdud Thanks for all the pictures. I'm mesmerized.

Girliness
February 5th, 2011, 01:58 AM
My longest hair is at tail bone length, but it looks fairytale and I'm worried that it is approaching terminal length. The perimeter of my hair (mainly at the nape of my neck) feathers a LOT. Does this perimeter hair have anything to do with terminal length?

LizzyBear
February 5th, 2011, 02:59 AM
I've never heard this term because I'm new to LHC, but I think mine may qualify... My hairstylist actually helped me get the U shape of my hair, but I think curly hair has a natural tendency to get the fairy tale effect right? :confused:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p185/elizabethtroe/l_c5d2147557153bec8a1600e84eb410d9-1-1-1.jpg

Girliness
February 5th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Wow, LizzyBear, your hair is GORGEOUS!! I call hair like that "mermaid hair" and how I do envy you...

freecelt
February 5th, 2011, 01:52 PM
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa106/freecelt/LHCFsiggy.jpg

Lici1209
November 15th, 2011, 07:58 PM
How often do you guys s&d?