PDA

View Full Version : The dermatologists agree with us - hair irons are BAD!

DecafJane
August 19th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Hair irons cause 'massive damage' to hair (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24207395-23109,00.html)

This is a great story and refutes the myth that regular use of ceramic irons is non-damaging. :D

I love the fact that this made the newspaper, and that they have dermatologists commenting on it instead of stylists. It must be quite a phenomenon for them to discuss it. :cheese:

Nat242
August 19th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Good to see, however I still doubt that one could achieve healthy hair much beyond APL/MBL whilst straightening twice a week, as the article suggests. But, for those not seeking long hair, it's good advice.

Saranne772
August 19th, 2008, 01:24 AM
I wish more people would realise how bad it is or we'll have a generation of damaged heads! :lol: But then its their hair. Its just painful to look at. LOL

kwaniesiam
August 19th, 2008, 02:20 AM
People my age are totally frying their hair due to trends lately. I'm glad someone finally said how doing it this often is bad, but really unless you have LHC goals, it's okay every so often. Twice a week does sound like a bit much though, a girl that went to my high school had the most beautiful 3a curls and straighten it 3-4 times a week, it looked very damaged this way. At least the curls hid the damage, if they weren't a bit dull looking.

ChloeDharma
August 19th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Lol and it takes hearing it from a dermatologist for people to realise? I often can't help staring at the longer haired girls who use these regularly and i can see lots of breakage and ruptures in the shafts down the length but it's all kind of glued down with styling products.....just makes me cringe. That said, they could provide hours of entertainment with an S&D :p

But to be fair, it's their hair, and if they choose to allow it the damage will grow out so is perfectly reversible in time.
What really grates on me is that companies are allowed to advertise these things as actually good for the hair and improving it's health using buzz words like "ionic" and "tourmaline", i actually think it's false advertising and should be illegal. Fair enough if people choose to do things that damage to acheive a certain look, but they shouldn't be mislead or lied to.

Samikha
August 19th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Good to hear at least someone is pointing out the truth! I discussed hair stuff with a friend of mine the other day - who apparently has curls naturally. I never knew! - and she said that with her current haircut, she had to straighten it. I said, sure, do what you like, as long as you know that it is damaging.
"I use products to protect it, and at low temperatures, only 200 degrees." She seemed to think this massively reduced damage.
"Water boils at a hundred, imagine what that is doing to your hair!"
"But hairdressers use straightening irons at 250..."
Yeah.

Geh, people can do what they want, of course, but I think of protecting products like armor - you get dents instead of wounds, but a lethal blow will still kill you.
Personally I dislike seeing these hip girls with artificially straightened-to-within-an-inch-of-its-life hair. It's obviously damaged, and it doesn't look good. Natural straighties are completely different, and quite lovely. Playing around with your hair is fun, but embrace your natural texture!