PDA

View Full Version : Question about hair thickness

Darkhorse1
August 19th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Alrighty you knowledgeable bunch!

I'm curious to know something about how much hair we have.

Is my hair more accurate in regards to how much I have when it's clean, dirty or wet? I've noticed my hair can get very fine/thinner feeling when a product doesn't work well for my hair, and some days if it's mega greasy, it can feel like I have less. Then, I wash it and poof! Thickness in my ponytail and braid.

So, how can this happen? Does the dirt/oil/product weigh the hair down? But if you have X amount of hair, wouldn't it be the same regardless?

Curious to know of any articles in regards to this or past posts?

trolleypup
August 19th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Depending on your hair... (heh, standard TLHC disclaimer) ...cleanness and neatness will affect how thick your hair feels. For me, clean, dry, uncombed/unbrushed hair is the biggest (by bun, head or ponytail feel) simply because the hairs are not aligned, going every which way...like a silverware drawer where everything was just tossed in randomly, after a good preening (clean or not), it feels thinner because everything is aligned neatly...like a carefully arranged silverware drawer, each fork and spoon nested with the next.

Arctic
August 19th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Most important thing, if you measure your ponytail thickness, is to do it the same way each time. :flower:

Dulci
August 19th, 2008, 10:43 AM
...like a silverware drawer... That's a great analogy LOL. :thumbsup:

Euphony
August 19th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I've found that I get the least amount of thickness on hair that is 3 days from it's last wash, combed with a wide tooth comb, then a medium tooth comb then finally a fine tooth comb, then carefully put into the pony holder and I measure it immediately below the pony holder to get <what I feel is> maximum accuracy of how thick/thin my hair is.

burns_erin
August 19th, 2008, 11:12 AM
When i wanted to know about a my own, I took a bunch of measurments in different hair states, then averaged it. Despite how it felt to my touch, by the numbers it was all within a quarter of an inch.

Igor
August 19th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I wish there were any articles on this! :wink:
Personally I find my hair is at its thinnest when it’s been dry for over a day and have been dry redone. I can’t explain why it feels thinnest when it’s been set when dry as I would think I can compact it more when damp or wet and easier to work with!
It’s at its thickest after being freshly conditioned- that makes sense though as some products lift up the scales of the hair to deposit the conditioning ingredients better and it takes a little time for the scales to return to their normal state

Honey39
August 19th, 2008, 11:54 AM
My hair seems to have gotten a LOT thicker since I stopped torturing it with a blow dryer and straightening irons, and brushing it etc. That's just in a couple of months, too, so it can't be new growth.

I have a friend with the finest, thinnest hair when it's wet - barely there, although waist length. Dried, it turns into this enormous mass of soft curls, which weighs less than candyfloss, absolutely gorgeous! I've always thought well cared for, fine and thin hair can look absolutely fantastic, and been kind of jealous of friends who can wash their hair and it dries so quickly without any fuss into these beautiful, fairy like locks. All hair can look gorgeous if it's treated right and allowed to be what it wants!

Igor
August 19th, 2008, 07:03 PM
My hair seems to have gotten a LOT thicker since I stopped torturing it with a blow dryer and straightening irons, and brushing it etc. That's just in a couple of months, too, so it can't be new growth.

Since its just a couple of months, it can simply be that brushing and straight ironing manually compresses the hair strands and the little scales that makes the surface up and not doing it makes the hair “relax” in its natural shape