PDA

View Full Version : How do you decide on a hemline?

Lauram
October 23rd, 2012, 10:51 AM
I'm growing out my hair and it has layers. So I'll get to see how it looks with a slight U shape as it grows . And since its wavy, I always feel like wavy looks better U than blunt but maybe it will be different when its longer.

So how have you decided on what hemline to keep? What is your goal hemline? Do you think a particular hemline looks good on a certain type of hair?

I'm sure once I get to my goal I can change up hemlines every few months and see what I like on me... So how about you?

Elanadi
October 23rd, 2012, 11:01 AM
As a ii with very straight hair, only a straight across hemline looks good with my hair. A U or V makes it look really thin, and fairy tail ends would just look ratty. I think with curly hair, a U or V is really pretty (and less blocky on thicker hair).

spidermom
October 23rd, 2012, 11:10 AM
I used to only love a blunt, straight across hem. Now I don't think it looks good on any type of hair. Weird!

ladonna
October 23rd, 2012, 12:12 PM
I like the way v shaped hemlines flow in curly/wavy hair and a slight u for straight hair, straight hemline if the hair is mostly braided or bunned.

elea
October 23rd, 2012, 12:28 PM
i think it's a matter of personnal taste
what you think looks best on your hair the way you wear it

Vampyria
October 23rd, 2012, 12:30 PM
I mostly wear all my hair in front and I like the even and blunt looking ends (it also makes them look thicker), so I cut my hair in a slight V-shape. It's also the easiest to cut for me right now. I don't like how deep V-shape looks though. Also, my hair seem to grow slower in the back.

I really like the U-shape- at least how it looks in the back, so I might try it when my hair gets longer.
I like the look of U and straight hem line on straight hair, and V (also U) on wavy and curly hair.

YumiYume
October 23rd, 2012, 12:36 PM
I decided by looking at a lot of hemlines, many of them with hair like mine and then shoosed what I thought looked best :) I read threads here about hemlines to, so thats my tip :)

MegaMystery
October 23rd, 2012, 12:38 PM
I like a U-shape best. It looks good on my hair when it's down, but it's also blunt enough to keep braids from looking super thin (as I fear a V-slape might).

Tota
October 23rd, 2012, 12:40 PM
I always feel like wavy looks better U than blunt but maybe it will be different when its longer
I agree with you.

So how have you decided on what hemline to keep? What is your goal hemline? Do you think a particular hemline looks good on a certain type of hair?

I haven't decided yet. I have wavy hair and I had a deep U-cut until yesterday. I felt like my ends are getting really thin and unkept looking so I went to the salon and asked them to just fix my hemline. The hairdresser just cut an inch off. Now I have just a slight U-cut and I like it, but maybe just because my ends look thicker and healthier now. So my goal hemline changes I guess, but I would never want a completely straight hemline. I just think it would look boring on me. I could be wrong, it's just how I feel.

I think all hemlines look good on thick straight hair. My sister has stick straight waist length hair and she can pull off any kind of hemline. But she really has a lot of hair. But I think that curly and wavy hair look much better with a U or V hemline. Again, this is just my perception.

jacqueline101
October 23rd, 2012, 02:27 PM
My hair grows at a natural v hem line so I picked it and its a matter of choice.

FireFromWithin
October 23rd, 2012, 02:35 PM
I'm trying to grow to a blunt straight hemline as I think it will be easier for updos and braids but I think a slight U looks better down. I can never tell what hemline curly people have though so I can't judge that.

rock007junkie
October 23rd, 2012, 02:52 PM
It depends on what you want your hair to look like. I always had an accented V shape and always complained about how my hair look thinner on the bottom (Duh!!). After I noticed that this is why I decided to trim little by little until I achieved a blunt hemline. I decided to go for this one because I like my hair to look thick all around.

sunnydee92
October 23rd, 2012, 02:54 PM
I feel as though blunt looks strange sometimes...I have a U right now, but I think I prefer fairy tale ends. I do think fairy tale can make hair look thinner, though! I just think it mostly depends on the condition of the hair! I have no idea what I'll choose in the future :P

biogirl87
October 23rd, 2012, 02:54 PM
I'm trying to grow my hair out to thick hemline, so not sure if I'll end up with blunt or U hemline (growing out layers are forming a slight U at the moment). Don't think V hemline would look good on me, so probably won't go with that.

Iolanthe13
October 23rd, 2012, 03:21 PM
My hair type is fairly similar to yours, and I always felt a blunt hemline gave me "triangle head" (even at longer lengths). I'm happy with my layers now, but a gentle V-hem looked best before I had them. It helped the curly ends spring up a bit.

Miss Catrina
October 23rd, 2012, 07:20 PM
A V hemline makes the shoulders appear more narrow (I've known ladies who were quite self-conscious about having wide shoulders). :blossom:

lostchyld
October 23rd, 2012, 08:04 PM
It's totally a personal decision, but I like the look of fairytale ends and, probably, once my shortest layers catch up to BSL will work with a V hem while I maintain to even them out. Blunt ends look terrible on my combo curls and waves. I get an inverted shelf of hair where the hemline is, or with layers, wherever the shorter layer ends as things grow and curl at different rates.

To keep the ends workable, I need either a deep U or a V anyways. The more blunt my hemline gets, the less workable any hairstyles get. I'd rather have a tapered braid with ends that tuck in than a thick braid with sticky outy bits.

Also, extremely tapered ends control any frizz explosion, I have no real idea why.

Cheele
October 24th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I think you should just go with your instinct. Personally, I prefer a v-shape because..
1. Easiest and quickest to cut myself
2. I dream of having fairytale ends
3. Blunt makes me feel blah
4. And v just makes me feel all edgy :p

It's about what you prefer on yourself.. but it's all beautiful hair in the end.

melusine963
October 25th, 2012, 12:59 AM
I've only ever had a blunt hemline, so I've never really had to make a decision. I think U hemlines look great, but my ends are already so thin that I don't want to push my luck.

Avital88
October 25th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Coming from always having a Deep V hemline i really try to get my hair blunt or slight U this time around..or better to keep it, this means more trimming but also the look of thicker ends. ahh i love that

Avital88
October 25th, 2012, 02:01 AM
It depends on what you want your hair to look like. I always had an accented V shape and always complained about how my hair look thinner on the bottom (Duh!!). After I noticed that this is why I decided to trim little by little until I achieved a blunt hemline. I decided to go for this one because I like my hair to look thick all around.

haha this sounds exactly like me!!

jojo
October 25th, 2012, 02:33 AM
I let my hair choose! I cut it in a straight across hem but it naturally grows in a U. My next trim will be a U. I like straight across ones but after a certain length, they tend to look capeish whereas a U looks more softer with longer hair.