PDA

View Full Version : How do you comb/brush your hair?

yrrebwartsymssi
August 18th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Lately I have been fingercombing my hair primarily and my hair seems to be much more beautiful and the curls just clump together beautiful. So my question is what do you do? and what is the benefit that you see?

EbonyCurls
August 18th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I divide my hair in half and fingercomb each side starting from the bottom up, section by section. I lose ALOT less hair that way and my hair doesn't tangle as much afterwards.

harley mama
August 18th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I finger comb and then if I need more detangling I use a wide tooth comb.
I seldom even do this though. Most of the time I don't mess with my hair
unless I am doing a CO and my hair is loaded with conditioner.

Gumball
August 18th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Since I'm usually preparing to style my hair somehow I start with finger combing to get the preliminary bits of my hair unwrapped around itself. Then I go through it with my horn comb before doing whatever I'm going to do to it. It's worked well for me so why mess with a good thing? :D

Isilya
August 19th, 2008, 03:02 AM
I detangle with my fingers first, especially when my hair is still wet. Then I use my wooden (wide toothed) comb. Benefit: my hair falls like I want it to :)

Elanor
August 19th, 2008, 04:23 AM
I always finger comb before I comb, and I try to comb carefully. When my hair is wet I try not to use comb on it, I just gently detangle with my fingers and let it air dry. I do comb my bangs though, as they never tangle anyway, and I part my hair with comb right after washing.

sipnsun
August 19th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I only use a wide tooth comb when my hair is wet, but when it is dry and detangled, I use a brush.

Belisama
August 19th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I comb. There is no way I could keep my mane looking halfway respectable with just fingers. My fine strands would fly everywhere and form tons of lovely little knots.

Nightshade
August 19th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I fingercomb then comb. I miss my BBB as I love how it feels, but that's a rare treat until my damaged ends are cut off completely, they just can't hold up to it.

Just_Isabel
August 19th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I chose "fingercomb and comb", which is what I do most of the time. Every once in a while - maybe once in 2 months or something -, I'll brush, but only when my hair is dry and icky. :lol:

Usually I fingercomb first, then if needed I'll use a wide tooth comb, too.

paper
August 19th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I comb my hair with a horn comb. Just once after washing, then let it air dry. I have waves now that I'm trying to bring out. I want to try to just finger comb, but it's hard to break away from combing it. The days after I wash, my hair is pretty much straight, so I just comb it with my horn comb.

AJoifulNoise
August 19th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I mostly just comb, so that's what I chose. I do, however, fingercomb in the shower. And I use a brush to smooth my hair back into a 'do.

Gladtobemom
August 19th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I always detangle very carefully with a wide toothed comb.

Either the Hairsense "Viking boat oar" or Nanny's Wide toothed Horn Horse Mane Comb.

I do use my BBB before each water wash, and also when I use Airing Powder.

I do finger combing too when I have a tangle. It may sound strange, but I just don't get too many tangles since the chemically colored stuff is gone. The difference is amazing.

Manako
August 19th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I comb it in the shower, and then fingercomb it if it needs it once I am out. I then oil it and brush it at night and put it in a braid for bed. The days following my hair washing I will use comb/brush/nothing depending on what it feels like doing.

I really need to get a BBB, im just using a regular brush for now.

sexyjacksparrow
August 19th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I voted fingercomb and comb but I do occasionally use my Tangle Teezer brush on the ends as well to help detangle when I'm not washing/wetting my hair.

Periwinkle
August 19th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Fingercomb and comb. I comb my hair when I braid and when I unbraid, but often if I'm putting it up I'll just use my fingers.

I used to be a chronic brusher, but I've now broken that habit (hooray! hourly brushes no more!) and my waves look much better for it. I'm also not yanking my hair out by the brushful :silly:

Leisha
August 19th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I mostly just comb. Not often though :p

Sometimes in between washes I'll fingercomb and then comb, but not often.

I voted "comb" but I could have voted fingercomb & comb, I guess. But it's mostly just combing.

Brushing seems to make it a bit more frizzy, and also, like the OP I like it if my hair clumps together just a little bit and combing is better for that, I've found. Usually :)

The word "comb" looks totally weird to me now by the way :eye: lol!

Ohio Sky
August 19th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I fingercomb on days I can get away with it, but sometimes I just have to use a real comb. I haven't touched a brush in months, and probably comb once a day to every other other day.

Finoriel
August 19th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I use a very wide toothed comb for detangling and doing styles and I use a BBB for my scalp and very sparingly on my length to remove lint. I only detangle dry hair.
Fingercombing did not work for me. At. All. Guess I´m not patient enough for doing that.

redpenny
August 19th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I finger-comb, comb, and brush my hair.

I usually first finger-comb and then comb it when it is wet. When my hair is dry, I finger-comb, comb, and then brush my hair. I use two different combs too: one wide-toothed comb and another one I got from Sally's Beauty Supply which is great http://www.sallybeauty.com/Tortoise%20Shower%20Detangler/SBS-183952,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair11-01

I also use two different brushes: a mason pearson brush on my scalp and a soft boar bristle brush on my length and I use it to smooth my hair back in updo's. That's about how I groom my hair! :)

Phalaenopsis
August 19th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Comb and fingercomb. While I comb, I run my fingers through my hair.
I also use the brush, when I want a soft feel.

dor3girl
August 19th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I only brush mine when it's dry. I really like my synthetic bone comb for wet comb-outs. It's gentle, etc.

Marcipangris
August 20th, 2008, 12:23 AM
My hair pretty much untangles itself at this point. But I wiggle my fingers through it while it's drying so it doesn't dry into a limp position. Then I BB-brush it when it's dry if I want to make it poofy.

Soniasonia
August 20th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Fingercomb, then brush.

mortiziia
October 12th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I used to comb daily and brush a few times per week, but after finding LHC I got rid of my plastic comb and have been finger-combing for several weeks (plus brushing, couldn't make do without brushing). Problem is, my hair gets extremely filthy even though I wash and dry my hands thoroughly before combing it so I'll probably have to get myself a better comb and go back to usual. I hate that dirty hair feeling and washing daily (hard water here) is just not an option for me.

GlassEyes
October 12th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I detangle in the shower with a wide-toothed comb, usually in the first half of my CO wash. I run it through when there's a ton of conditioner. If I forget, I do it when I run water over it to wash it out.

I rarely comb my hair after the first wash or rinse though, because it seperates my curls more.

Brownie
October 12th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I comb my hair and afterwards I brush it with a BBB :)

AnneAdeline
October 13th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I comb and fingercomb. Sometimes I'll brush, but not that often. My hair tangles so easily that I can't just fingercomb, even though I'd like to.

CaityBear
October 13th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I chose comb and brush even though I fingercomb, comb and brush. I fingercomb my hair but I usually have to comb to make my hair lay nicely and make sure there are no knots because I get really tiny ones. I use a wide tooth comb and a comb with narrower bristle to get all the smaller knots. And then I use a boar bristle brush every now and then.

Teazel
October 13th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Often I'll fingercomb before combing, but usually I'll do a combination of combing (horn comb) and brushing with my soft BBB. So I voted for comb and brush.

I actually find I get less breakage with the brush, because the soft bristles skip over a tangle - which I can then attend to with the comb/fingers/whatever - where the comb tends to rip through them before I realise they're there. And it picks up shed hairs, whereas I think the comb just gets them involved in snarls. I also think the brush has a 'polishing' action.

I also have a brutal hard-bristled BBB, but I save that for detangling in a hurry. When I have to use it I mentally apologise to my hair and promise to make it up to it later. :silly:

zift
October 14th, 2008, 01:11 PM
If you had added the "fingercomb and comb and brush" option instead of the cheese one I would have attended the poll:cool:

JessTheMess
October 14th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I fingercomb to detangle, then I use my heavenly harvest comb... which I love love LOVE!!!! :cloud9:

Haith
October 14th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I fingercomb and comb with a wide-tooth wooden comb. My hair is pretty tangly, but looks soooo much better when I put very little effort into keeping it ordered. I just comb it in the mornings, and before washing.

Wanderlust
October 14th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I always brush my hair. I can't use a comb because my hair is so fragile, and the hairs stick together when I'm brushing them, so the teeth of the comb would tear the hairs. Fingercombing tears the hairs too.

But even if my hair was in perfect condition I would probably still brush because my hair is so thick, and it's just easier to brush than comb.

NeilTheFuzz
October 14th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I have to finger comb my hair before I brush my hair because seemingly over night my hair gets very tangled, even though I tie it back. Without finger combing I wouldn't be able to get the brush through my hair.

Addy
October 14th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I'll finger comb through out the day if I feel like it or after I get out of the truck if the window's been down and I use my wide tooth comb when wet.

If ds is willing, I'll let him brush my hair, which I love! :heartbeat :D

1nuitblanche
October 14th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Mostly I finger comb, sometimes I comb, and when it's oily, I brush with a BBB. (I don't actually run cheese through my hair... At least not on purpose!)

gdimoonbeam
October 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I just realized I comb and finger comb. I had never given it much thought before now but I use a wide tooth comb after my shower and finger comb the rest of the day. I always thought of it as a "habit" brought on by long hair.

vindo
October 17th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I just comb it..
rarely brush it because combed looks like brushed already...no need for it.

Vitalai
October 17th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I just fingercomb. Conditioner pretty much detangles my hair for me.

allege
October 17th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I fingercomb and regular comb. All major knots and snarls get worked out by my fingers because i have better control then the whole head gets combed with my wide tooth comb

Nanni
October 19th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I fingercomb my hair when it's wet. If I don't, it gets this wierd shape when it dries. And then I comb it a bit when it is dry. I use a mason pearson detangler comb.

LilyMunster
October 19th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Conair shower comb to distribute the condish evenly. Then horn comb on canopy while wet. Leave it be until totally dry. Then, horn comb once a day.

RedElephant
October 19th, 2008, 01:38 PM
For cowashing and styling I use a wide tooth comb. If I wear my hair up, I'll use my denman to brush my hair up. I use a regular/small tooth comb and my denman once a week to remove any shed hair that's caught in my hair after shampooing.

MadHatter
October 19th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I fingercomb to make sure there are no mean snarls in my hair, then comb with my MP. Once in a blue moon I might pick up a brush.

toocurly
October 20th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I fingercomb and comb. Other way don't work, because I'm a curly girl.

ImmortaLamia
October 20th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I fingercomb and comb as most of us voted on here

Sarahmoon
October 20th, 2008, 05:13 AM
I detangle with my fingers first, then I comb. Usually with a wide tooth comb and sometimes after that with a narrow tooth comb (that the right word?).

I find if I only use my fingers I can get small tangles near the nape of my neck which I don't notice until they get big enough to be a pain to get out :(

chrissy-b
October 20th, 2008, 12:05 PM
The only time I really fingercomb is when I condition my hair. I use a wooden comb to detangle when my hair is damp and either my wooden bristle brush or my BBB to style and for scalp brushing.

burns_erin
October 21st, 2008, 03:19 PM
I am bad and still have my big ball tipped paddle brush. it is the one bad habit i can not give up. I even have a bad habit of starting at the top. Fortunately for me I am not a bad tangler. Though i do sometimes finger comb, because i try to limit actually brushing my hair to 2 times a day.

RoseRedDead
October 25th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I fingercomb, then comb. I even occasionally use a brush, but not often.

Medvssa
October 27th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Fingercomb and comb, wet. Sometimes dry to get rid of shed hairs and prevent matting :p then I put it up. Brush only when I want to have a laugh.

amberdakota
October 27th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I gently brush and comb usually...before I put the cheese in... ;-)

mellie
October 27th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Believe it or not, I don't usually need to do anything. My hair is pretty straight naturally and doesn't tend to tangle at all, so I just rinse out after the shower and I'm done! I'll only brush now and then if it's been really windy.

Raven69
November 1st, 2008, 04:10 AM
I comb from the top of my scalp/forehead till I can't comb anymore than I brush out all the tangles, I finger comb in the shower sometimes, mostly after having taken down my hair so I can flip it out

Robbi Dehlinger
November 1st, 2008, 04:14 AM
I brush and comb, but trying to just comb more and more, not only do less hairs get pulled "out" but my hair looks much healthier now!

dreamhair
December 11th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I use a comb to get out most tangles and when my hair is down. (that sounds funny) but I love the feel of my brush on my scalp and brushes mak my hair smoother when I pull it back without making it tight.

Tangles
December 11th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I usually just use a wide tooth comb, going gently from ends to roots to detangle. I ALWAYS comb in the morning. Sometimes I will use a comb with closer teeth to make my crown lay better. I hardly ever brush.

Ryanne
December 12th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I fingercomb and comb, I sometimes use a brush for my scalp, otherwise the smaller hairs on top go crazy..

zen_oven
December 15th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I both comb and brush, but less of the brush and more of the comb. I mainly use the brush to work the oils through and for smoothing a bit once it is completely dry after washing or misting.

MandaMom2Three
December 15th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I detangle first with my wide toothed wood comb, then I brush with a wood bristle brush. Both from the Body Shop :)

Lena43
May 1st, 2009, 02:25 AM
I mostly fingercomb and then comb, but unly when dry and when i dont plan to wear my hair down because the curls disappear (well not totally, but still) when i comb

HotRag
May 1st, 2009, 05:09 AM
I comb my hair with wide spaced seamless comb.
Finger combing does not work for me, and brushing I do not do.

Isabeau
May 1st, 2009, 08:09 AM
I brush my hair with my mason pearson in boar bristle. It untangle my hair. After if the're stil some bow i use my horn comb and i finish with my brush for pull in place my hair.

viking_quest
May 2nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
I comb after a wash (when it's dry) and fingercomb the rest of the time.

Fireweed
May 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
A wood comb and a little oil once or twice a day.

Kazazi
May 2nd, 2009, 10:46 AM
Ever since starting my current hair routine (dairy whip plus citric acid/vitc rinse) I get by with just finger combing.

JamieLeigh
May 4th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I agree that fingercombing plumps out curls much better than regular combing...I guess because there is less pressure on the hair and does not cause the curls to straighten out from pulling. :) I fingercomb where possible.

goodluckcharm
May 4th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I am bad and still have my big ball tipped paddle brush. it is the one bad habit i can not give up. I even have a bad habit of starting at the top. Fortunately for me I am not a bad tangler. Though i do sometimes finger comb, because i try to limit actually brushing my hair to 2 times a day.

I can't give up my brush either. I love the way it feels on my scalp :shrug: even if I don't need it to detangle.

Naava
May 4th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I do everything I guess. I comb my hair in shower, but if I find a tangle, I use my fingers. When my hair is dry, I use a bbb.

LadyDi
May 4th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I detangle with a wide tooth comb (always on wet hair...can't touch my curly hair once it's dry). I have a denman brush that I use once in a while just because it feels good on my scalp. Finger combing does nothing for me.

Kaamos
May 6th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I fingercomb my hair when it's wet and then I comb with my horn comb.

redneckprincess
May 6th, 2009, 11:56 AM
wide toothed comb when wet and regular brush when drying and boar brissle when dry and sometimes the regular one too

Absalom
May 7th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I finger comb and comb, which is apparently what the highest percentage of people here do. My hair is fine and delicate and breaks easily, so I avoid brushes.:cheese:

bouton99
May 10th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Under normal circumstances I finger comb and comb. Every once in a while I have to use a brush.

SleepySin
May 10th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I chose "Fingercomb and comb" - For the past week or so I've stopped using my hairbrush and I have to admit, it looks like I've been losing a lot less hair during brushing. This coincides, however, to my reduced usage of shampoo too so I'm not 100% sure which is doing what. Supposedly though, I've read that using wooden combs reduces the static caused by many other brushes, which in turn, causes or exacerbates hair breakage.

I was in my bathroom today and decided that I think it's time for me to put away my hair brush for good. I'm very happy with the new wooden combing :D

Forever_Sophie
May 10th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Comb, always.

Kangaroo
May 11th, 2009, 07:17 AM
i brush my hair with a wooden brush. i try to comb my hair but i cant manage...i haven't the "right brush feeling " after combing :-) dont know if you know what i mean. my english isnt that perfect!

windinherhair
June 2nd, 2009, 05:31 PM
I used to only comb, but now I also use a BBB on occasion (usually right before I wash). I just got a wooden comb in the past month. I finger comb when my hair is wet.

winter_star
June 4th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I brush and comb but my aim is to eventually fingercomb and comb, I just cant give up my brush yet.

KarpatiiSiv
June 16th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I finally gave up my brush a couple of months ago and now finger comb and comb. My hair feels much better for it and less breakage.

Lize
June 17th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Comb with wide tooth wooden comb and brush with BBB.

ericthegreat
June 18th, 2009, 02:46 AM
I do all three to my hair: fingercomb, comb with a wide tooth comb, and I use several different kinds of brushes. What I use depends on the state of my hair and how much time I have on my hands. If its dry and tangled up by the wind, I'll simply use my fingers to detangle. I also fingercomb if I've very late and in a huge rush. If I have say 10 minutes or so, I have a variety of wide tooth combs which I use to comb out my hair in the morning. If I have more that 20 minutes or am in no rush at all, I will take the time to carefully divide my hair up in sections and brush each section individually and I will on occasion do a blow out & flat iron if I really want a perfectly straight look. I use a %100 boar bristle round brush to blow my locks straight and I use a %100 ceramic flat iron from BedHead.

LisaJaney
June 18th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I put "brush", but my brushes are Denmans, so it's like having 5 wide-toothed-combs all in a row... I wasn't sure WHICH option to pick, in that case.

lyria
June 18th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I put "cheese," but I have a reason! I finger comb and I do use a brush, but I don't feel like it can be properly called a "brush." It's the blue jojoba oil infused "brush" with really soft flexible (and far apart) bristles/teeth. It's a far cry from the generic drug store brushes I used to use before I realized that each bristle had a sharp plastic seam!shudder:

Parelli4life
June 18th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I only really ever use a brush. Although I would like to try the cheese!! lol :cheese:

chandeen
June 21st, 2009, 08:44 AM
I use my fingers to loose the knots and a brush to spread the sebum.
a use my comb only then, when I'm lazy and my scalp badly needs a few short scratches ^^°

citymorningblue
June 21st, 2009, 11:02 AM
Only fingercomb, only in the shower, only with conditioner in!
It gives my curls wicked definition, cuts frizz in half, & seems to add shine.

Nyghtingale
June 22nd, 2009, 02:56 PM
I use my tangle teaser most of all.

Copasetic
June 22nd, 2009, 03:32 PM
I finger comb most of the time, but when I am conditioning my hair in the shower I comb it with a wide tooth comb. That is the ONLY time I use a comb on my hair.

mira-chan
June 22nd, 2009, 03:44 PM
I finger comb when I remember. My hair doesn't tangle much.

Tap Dancer
June 22nd, 2009, 05:08 PM
I comb and brush. I comb most of the time, though.

Lioness
June 22nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
Comb to detangle and fingercomb afterwards, just for the fun of it :oI also fingercomb when i apply conditioner after washing

Kelsey89
June 22nd, 2009, 05:42 PM
I use a brush.

Desideira
June 29th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I fingercomb and then use wooden wide tooth comb and I brush with BBB.

handsclean
June 29th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I fingercomb in the shower, when my hair is completely soaked and coated in conditioner. I don't usually do anything to it after that, but if I need to, I use a wide tooth comb.

neon-dream
June 29th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I finger comb most of the time, but comb about once every 2 weeks or so :)

Flotsum
June 29th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I brush and comb. I probably shouldn't brush as much but it feels so good to do so.

Firegarnet
June 30th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I fingercomb. I only use a comb if I must to smooth hair for an updo. I tend to be less patient with a comb :(. I keep trying brushes, but always end by giving them up. BBB never reach my scalp.

Heavenly Locks
June 30th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Horn comb :) (I do occasionally use a brush or finger comb though)

Sheltie_Momma
June 30th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Wide tooth Comb with conditioner in the shower, then bun it and let it dry.

BBB at night before braiding for bed. Brushing feels really nice and makes my hair shiny. It does poof it out but the braiding before bed gets it nicely compressed again by morning. When I brush I sit on the bed and let the hair fall over my shoulder and brush from the bttom up in small sections. Only when it is totally tangle free do I brush the scalp and length.

For styling - it depends - narrower tooth comb for smoothing the crown but brush for getting the initial hair swept up and back.

dulce-de-leche
July 1st, 2009, 09:22 PM
I use a wide tooth comb and divide my hair into 2 sections then comb out each one.I usually take about 20-30 minutes to finish.

MomoKoNoHanna
July 2nd, 2009, 06:13 AM
For the time being I am using a plastic wide tooth comb.

sweet*things
July 5th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I use a Mason Pearson comb for wet detangling and BBB for brushing when dry.

EdG
July 5th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I comb and finger-comb.
Ed

Rentlle
July 5th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I only fingercomb when I have conditioned my hair, and it's still wett.
When it's dry I just comb :)

Nanni
July 7th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I fingercomb when I'm in the shower and after my hair is toweldried. Then I do a light oiling on the ends and comb through when my hair is dry. I have two mason pearson combs which I love. One rake and one detangeling comb.

marzipanthecat
July 7th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Oooh, I am interested to see from the poll that so few people do just brushing alone (which is my thing). I can't do the finger-comb thing, I just end up tangled in my own hair (this is really just to do with me being a klutz!) and I don't usually use a comb because they get tangled (unless they are mega-wide teeth) or snap.

I have a nice Mason Pearson hairbrush, which was a present from my husnad (by golly they are expensive), although my usual hairbrush is one of those wide-toothed Denman plastic brushes. Nothing fancy!

Ladydncing
July 7th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I mostly fingercomb, only us the comb is necessary!

Calista
July 7th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Most of the time I fingercomb, then comb. The last two days or so before a wash I also brush. It makes my scalp happy! :)

Bereft
July 7th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I comb my hair out in the shower, with conditioner in it. If it's not too tangled, I usually fingercomb it, but if I cant work though it well, i use a wide tooth come to get the job done.

karli
July 7th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I voted fingercombing, since that is what I usually do. Sometimes I use my tangleteaser, not because of tangles, but because it feels good!

eternallyverdan
July 7th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I comb and brush. I have a nice sanded down comb that I use when my hair is dry, and if I want a little more volume or just want it completely detangled I use my plastic-bristle brush (gasp! shock! horror!) that I've pulled all of the little balls off of, which works just fine for my hair.

eyesofsummer
July 7th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I only fingercomb. It lets me make sure I'm getting all the tangles, without ripping through and breaking the individual hairs.

Mabel Grey
July 7th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I finger comb when half way dry, then use a wide-toothed comb. Just purchased my first horn comb. Let's hope that is the next step in less breakage for me. I need to get a wooden comb to use, when hair is wet. Any suggestions?

rose_in_bloom
July 8th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I comb very gently with a wooden comb (from The Body Shop) while my hair is wet, a few minutes after I get out of the shower.

Occasionally I will use my BBB after applying coconut oil to evenly distribute the oil, but not often.

nowxisxforever
July 8th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I use my wide-toothed wooden comb, pull all of my hair over my shoulder, then detangle from the ends up- using my fingers to undo tight knots.

It takes me a minute or two, tops. I leave my hair up though because when it was shorter and I left it down all the time it would take me 20-30 minutes to brush it.

julya
July 12th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I use a horn comb most of the time, but it's pretty much a mixed bag of finger combing, combing and brushing depending on my mood.

EtherealOde
July 13th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I fingercomb when it's wet. When dry, I fingercomb then use a widetooth comb if needed. I will also use my BBB on my braid tassels and on a pony to distribute the oil more evenly after I apply oils. But otherwise I don't use it, because my hair breaks easily due to lightening to hide my greys. :mad: When all of that grows out/is cut off eventually, I might be able to use the brush more. I like the look from fingercombing though, I get nicer waves and curls than I ever did when I used a comb routinely after washing.

vintersaga
July 13th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I fingercomb and comb with a wide-toothed comb.:)

faeflame
July 13th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I untangle with a wide tooth wooden comb. To smooth my hair into an updo I'll use my Widu bamboo brush. I loved my BBB but gave it up when my hair was permed since I couldn't begin to get it through my hair. Now the perm is gone and I can brush with it but the ends of my hair are still too fragile to feel good using the BBB.

GoatLady
December 9th, 2022, 08:40 AM
I use a wide tooth comb, only. The only time I use my tangle teaser brush is after my once-a-week wash, and I only use it once my hair is dry.

tuanyiji
December 12th, 2022, 08:59 AM
Fingercomb only for now.

Fiorentina
December 12th, 2022, 10:24 AM
I do fingercomb and comb

mochichichi
December 12th, 2022, 11:38 AM
I split my hair over my shoulders, finger comb, then tangle tweeze, then a mixed BBB/nylon brush. Considering swapping the TT for a wood wide tooth comb. I have a plastic comb but my hair doesn't really like it.

Glitch
December 12th, 2022, 05:28 PM
I split my hair over my shoulders, finger comb, then tangle tweeze, then a mixed BBB/nylon brush. Considering swapping the TT for a wood wide tooth comb. I have a plastic comb but my hair doesn't really like it.

Weirdly similar over here! Same routine except with a wooden comb (just got rid of my plastic comb since my hair also didn't like it).

mochichichi
December 12th, 2022, 07:06 PM
Weirdly similar over here! Same routine except with a wooden comb (just got rid of my plastic comb since my hair also didn't like it).

Our hair seems very similar when yours is straightened, it seems like! I'm starting to get to the point of finding that my arms aren't long enough to detangle as effectively as I used to, so whether continuing to grow will become a hassle is to be determined.

sarana
December 22nd, 2022, 09:42 AM
I do all of these. Generally, in the order of more wide-tooth to more dense.

But: sometimes in the case of very matted tangles, I find going in with a brush is more effective than fingers or combs

lapis_lazuli
March 18th, 2023, 10:19 PM
Solely fingercombing for years now, definitely since my hair's been beyond FTL. It works great for me, and I love the control I have working through tangles. Now I only use my wooden comb to occasionally straighten out my part.

ladyofthewoods
March 23rd, 2023, 02:06 PM
only use wood comb and brush.

foreveryours
March 23rd, 2023, 03:07 PM
Bone dry (when it's strongest and water produces horrible tangles, even perspiration from hands) and always from the bottom to the top (in about 1 foot sections)

SandyBottom
March 23rd, 2023, 05:17 PM
I brush wet or dry and always start at the bottom. If my hair is full of knots or seaweed, I'll use my wide tooth comb.

puckish
April 2nd, 2023, 05:46 PM
I like to comb my hair with a wooden comb.