PDA

View Full Version : Extreme texture problems

Tangles
August 18th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Okay, so I have no split ends. Technically my hair is in good shape. But it's just... so...dry! I can't run my fingers through it, even on CO days. The problem is especially bad in my face framing layers. They are really frazzled even though I self trim them occasionally.

Oiling makes me crunchy. I've been no heat for months and never regularly used heat anyway. I don't have time for SMT. Does this mean I need a trim? But I refuse to trim--I'm so close to APL.

The confusing thing is that when I wear my hair wavy, it looks much softer--but then it's also more inclined to be poofy. I can't help thinking that my hair might still be damaged from a year ago when I used ColorFix (that really did a number on my hair). Thoughts?

My routine: I clarify on the scalp only once a week. I use shampoo maybe three times a week. I use cone free conditioner half the time and a coney one the other half. I've been using olive oil on the ends.

amaiaisabella
August 18th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I have the same problem :( The only relief I have seen is when I dampen my hair (typically from the ears down) and spray it with leave-in conditioner, then bun. After it's dry is when my hair is at its softest. Unfortunately, I'm running out and my leave-in has been discontinued, so no clue what my poor hair is going to do :(

manderly
August 18th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I'm really struggling with this right now too. I don't have velcro ends, I have grappling hook super glue ends. Grrrrr.

They feel SO DRY too. All my canopy shorter layers as well as my very ends (I haven't had a real trim in over a year, so I've been pushing my luck).

I've been hacking away with micro trims the last 2 days. SMTs haven't really helped, neither has oil (crunch). I've been toying with the idea of playing with my Bed Head Afterparty (cones galore) again.

It's very frustrating.

MeMyselfandI
August 18th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Do you always use clarifying shampoo.

I find neutragena clarifying shampo drying. I would not use that once a week at all. I use before henna (2-6 weeks).

What conditioners do you use? Are any of them extra moisture?

You may need more moisture either with SMT or a store bought extra moisturizing condioner such as the neutrogen triple moisture conditioner, honey and conditioner ertc.

What shape is your hair in when wet?

plainjanegirl
August 18th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I have the same problem :( The only relief I have seen is when I dampen my hair (typically from the ears down) and spray it with leave-in conditioner, then bun. After it's dry is when my hair is at its softest. Unfortunately, I'm running out and my leave-in has been discontinued, so no clue what my poor hair is going to do :(

What leave in is that? I know my local retail store where I normally shop keeps getting fewer and fewer selections.

plainjanegirl
August 18th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I would suggest maybe clarifying every other two - three weeks or even just once a month. Cause I know when I clarify ( which I don't do very often at all) I find it will really dry you r hair out alot. Couldn't hurt to help. And try some conditioner left in your hair overnight ( the night before a wash) ....especially a moisturizing one. Hope something helps you. Keep us posted!

jojo
August 18th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Have you tried diluting your shampoo? I find less is more in my case anyway. The olive oil on the ends is good, also mayo is brilliant. I do a full head but maybe you could try on just the last few inches? Warning it stinks awful but the results are worth it!

Curlsgirl
August 18th, 2008, 07:20 PM
What was the reason for the colorfix? Did you ever use a straightening iron?

I would recommend a moisturizing conditioner to leave in. That helps mine more with dryness than anything. You say you don't have time for SMTs but you really do need to do deep treatments if your hair is very dry. For healthy hair you must sacrifice sometimes to have it. If it is old damage, it should go away when it's all cut off if you are treating your hair well now. I would protect the ends as much as possible if you don't want to have to cut. The more you leave them out, the more vulnerable to damage they are. I wear mine down some for more special occasions but mostly up. It is so much better for it.

amaiaisabella
August 18th, 2008, 07:29 PM
What leave in is that? I know my local retail store where I normally shop keeps getting fewer and fewer selections.

Thermasilk :( I've had the bottle a few years, so I wasn't aware the company went out of business. It's the only thing I can tolerate with cones. I would love to find one similar.

eaglesflight
August 18th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Oiling is meant to seal moisture into the hair. If you are experiencing a dryness problem, and you are oiling on top of it, you are exacerbating it by oiling. You need to figure out why your hair will not absorb moisture and then once you have that sorted out you can go back to oiling.

Personally, I find that my hair will not hold any moisture if I have a lot of protein loss. I find it helpful to do protein treatments on my hair (such as applying a mash with mayonaise and avocado and letting it set for 30 minutes) every week for a month or two to correct the protein imbalance problem. I also find that if I am not consistent in doing ACV rinses to correct the pH balance of my hair, I have a lot more trouble with cones sealing moisture out of my hair.

I also prefer to use coconut oil for oilings because they found in a study that coconut oil prevents protein loss in the cuticle.

HTH!

eadwine
August 19th, 2008, 02:29 AM
I find when oil is giving me crunch I simply need to mist more often. I use demineralized water, nothing more.

aisling
August 19th, 2008, 03:05 AM
My routine: I clarify on the scalp only once a week.

If you use a clarifying shampoo on your scalp only, it might be time to wash all your hair with it. About once a month my ends start misbehaving, feel dry, tangle like mad and just feel bad. Then it's time to use clarifying shampoo from root to tip, scalp only won't help anything. I often lather twice with clarifying shampoo, then I add some kind of nice thick conditioner or deep treatment to the length for at least 30 minutes. This generally helps, but I really need to wash the length with shampoo for it to be beneficial.

Isilme
August 19th, 2008, 03:14 AM
my hair behaves that way when I have used too much protein, maybe you hair is sensitive to it?:) I would do as Aisling says.

Katze
August 19th, 2008, 03:25 AM
some good advice here.

I've gone through similar periods with my hair and just can't explain it. Sometimes switching products has helped.

Several people mention reasons you might be having problems with oiling; for me, I had to cut out oiling (and still only do it very seldom) because it was almost impossible to get the right amount of oil at the right time. My ends are dry and damaged; oil isn't the best for them.

You say you don't have time for SMT, but you *can* do SMT in just an hour. In my experience, longer than that really does not make a difference. SMT has been one of the very best things I discovered at this site, and it can even (temporarily) "fix" crunchy, brittle ends. Do yourself and your hair a favor and try it after your next wash.

Trimming might also be the way to go. As someone with heavy layers and damaged ends, I have had to trim, trim, trim since coming to this site. I just trimmed again, but am finally (after 2+ years) at BSL. For me, the extra length is not worth having ends I hate, but I enjoy wearing my hair down

Finally, don't worry! you will find something that works; your hair IS growing, and good care will pay off. Believe me. :)

spidermom
August 20th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I'm sorry you've having these problems. If you aren't inclined to mix up SMT, there are treatments that you can buy. Or you could go to a salon and have them do a deep conditioning treatment on you. Last time I had a trim, the stylist did a protein conditioning treatment followed by a moisture treatment, covered with a shower cap, under the dryer for heat. My hair came out silky and glowing (pic below). I'm going to get this every time I go for a trim (3 months).

I second the idea of diluting your shampoo and using the CWC style of washing. My ends used to dry out badly; now they don't.

While my ends were damaged, oil made them crunchy. Once I had all the damage cut away, they began to absorb and benefit from oil.

Lamb
August 20th, 2008, 08:48 AM
If you use a clarifying shampoo on your scalp only, it might be time to wash all your hair with it. About once a month my ends start misbehaving, feel dry, tangle like mad and just feel bad. Then it's time to use clarifying shampoo from root to tip, scalp only won't help anything. I often lather twice with clarifying shampoo, then I add some kind of nice thick conditioner or deep treatment to the length for at least 30 minutes. This generally helps, but I really need to wash the length with shampoo for it to be beneficial.

I agree, try to wash all your hair with clarifying shampoo. Buildup very often masquerades as dryness. Hair covered by residue of all sorts of stuff won't absorb moisture!

heidi w.
August 20th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Please see the clarify clarifying post on the Mane Forum.

I think some of you may be due for a clarifying hair wash, and thorough conditioning to follow.

I wouldn't use olive oil on ends. It's not the same as other carrier oils such as Jojoba or Coconut, etc. See oiling post in articles section of site for list of carrier oils.

heidi w.

Amara
August 20th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I'm really struggling with this right now too. I don't have velcro ends, I have grappling hook super glue ends. Grrrrr.

HAH! Good metaphor!!

Tangles
August 20th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Aww, thanks so much for all the advice. :bow:

Katze--I'll try to set aside some time for SMT (need to buy that darned aloe gel--yet another excuse to go to the drugstore and try not to be tempted by beauty and hair products!)

Spidermom--I'm probably going to go to the salon for a microtrim before the year is over, and at that point I'll probably ask for a deep conditioning. I'm reluctant to spend the money at this time, especially as I refuse to go to any salons that won't cut more than I ask for.

Everyone else--I've stopped oiling for the time being till I figure out what's going on. Most likely my old , damaged hair is simply freaking out, and I need to figure out a better routine. I'm also not going to henna again until I see some sort of major improvement.

That said, my hair really IS growing--I can pull my braid over my shoulder, and it's beginning to tickle my armpits sometimes--so I'm not going to get too discouraged.

I've been using Burts Bees cone free condish, and I really like it, but my coney conditioner gives a lot more slip, so I have to alternate.

aisling
August 20th, 2008, 10:59 PM
So, judging by your answer, you don't even consider clarifying an option? And not just your scalp as you've been doing, but your whole hair, as advised. It is valid advice, based upon knowledge and experience, you know.

jel
August 21st, 2008, 12:46 AM
I would agree with the others - first clarify the hair, then put moisture in with an SMT or a commercial hair mask/intensive conditioner. They are much cheaper than salon treatments, and you only need to keep them on for 3-4 minutes (though I usually go for 10 mins, as that's how long my shower takes).

rhubarbarin
August 21st, 2008, 07:25 AM
Have you tried oiling over wet hair? Oiling on dry or even damp hair just makes me crunchy.

Deep treatments and leaving in cone free conditioner solved my dry hair problems.. now my hair is a little too moisturized sometimes!