PDA

View Full Version : 1 year at LHC!

girlcat36
August 18th, 2008, 05:59 PM
It's been a year since I've joined, and I've learned alot and met some wonderful people! I have struggled with my hair over the last 17 years, but especially in the last year. A bout with cancer caused me to lose half my volume(from chemo), as well as go completely bald on the bottom half of the back of my head(from radiation.) Makes for some wonky-looking hair! I am a long hair lover, and I just could not go through with cutting my hair to be more even, so I have to suffer through this awkward phase!
I have never been able to grow my hair longer than BSL, although I tried for years. It kept breaking off! I have since discovered that cones were making my hair break, so going coneless has been crucial for me.
Besides going cone-free, other things I have found to be beneficial: silk pillowcases, seamless combs, baking soda rinses, ACV rinses, and scalp massage. I am not sure if my hair likes oiling, but the most promising oils right now are rice bran oil and peach kernel oil.
When I joined last August, my ponytail circumference was just under 2", now it is just under 3". Gained an inch there!
I gained 6" in length, but did trim 2" off so I really had a gain of only 4". But finally I can see that my hair will actually grow, as long as I stay away from cones.
I have been using the Monistat on my bald area, and I gained about 7" there. Not sure if monistat really works, but it definately helps my fingernails to grow.

One year progress photos:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/hairdownpic.jpgAug 2007

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/aug2008hair.jpgAug 2008

My bald spot::mad:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/hairpic2.jpg2007 http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/necklengthhair.jpg2008

The best part is, now I can ALL my hair into a bun, where it will be hiding for many years to come!
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/hairinbun.jpg

The plan is to keep microtrimming my longer ends, but not the short layer, until the two meet up.
I am so mad that cancer did this to my hair, but I never would have found this forum if I hadn't had cancer!:rolleyes:
A big thanks :blossom: to all of you who have supported me in my hair(and personal) endeavors!
Hugs to you all! :grouphug:

suicides_eve
August 18th, 2008, 06:13 PM
wow your hair looks fanatstic. You can deffinantly see the volume increase and 7 inches of growth in one year is pretty darn good.:blossom:

dorothea-brooke
August 18th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Congratulations, girlcat! Your hair looks fabulous -- incredible progress in one year.

My, how time flies! I remember vividly your very first post. (Adopt crotchety "old-man-with-cane" voice here....)

Here's to your next year! :flower:

EdG
August 18th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Congratulations on one year at LHC, and on your cancer recovery! :cheese:
You were one of the first people to welcome me to LHC. :)
Ed

darkwaves
August 18th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Congrats, girlcat 36! I'm so glad you found us!

Arctic
August 18th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Congratulations! I, too, remember when you joined and when you posted the pigtails- picture :) Your hair has grown very much and looks great! And a bun milestone too! Woohoo! :happydance:

feralnature
August 18th, 2008, 06:32 PM
You are an inspiration :)

BrianaFineHair
August 18th, 2008, 06:38 PM
That's great, girlcat36! :) You show us all that patience and dedication bring wonderful results.

Lamb
August 18th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Congratulations, Girlcat! You have had some really great growth. I agree with feralnature, you are an inspiration. :applause

Alley Cat
August 18th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Congratulations girlcat36 your hair is lovely and you are an inspiration :flower:

manderly
August 18th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Woooooohoooooo! Your hair looks marvelous!

DecafJane
August 18th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Congratulations, girlcat! You have lovely hair and are fantastic to have around on the forum. :D

jojo
August 18th, 2008, 07:15 PM
You are one of my favorite people on here and I am so happy to have got to know you over the past year. I am also pleased your health has improved; let this continue.

Now your hair, what an inspiration you are for those who have or are going through the same experience due to chemo. Your hair has grown a lot and looks slightly thicker now your back is catching up. Long may your hair continue to grow and your curls boing!

love ya girl xxxx

chloeishere
August 18th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Congratulations girlcat! Your hair is looking great, and it'll only get better from here.
I also like your cute bun; those hairsticks look great in your hair! I'm so happy that your thickness is continuing to increase, and that you are happy with your new discoveries! :D

TammySue
August 18th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Congrats sweet lady! Your hair is lovely and so are you!

Wishing you continued health and happiness! :blossom:

Paniscus
August 18th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Wow, your hair is really pretty!! And the bun looks great! Love the curls! Keep growing with us!

eaglesflight
August 18th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Your hair is looking wonderful! Here's to more length and more thickness in the years to come and no more reasons to lose it.

Teazel
August 18th, 2008, 07:52 PM
You've made wonderful progress: long may it continue. :flowers:

NurseMama
August 18th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Wow Girlcat! That is great! The changes in the bald spot are really incredible. I am so happy for you! Happy Anniversary!

Curlsgirl
August 18th, 2008, 09:35 PM
You are indeed what everyone else has already said and MORE! Congratulations! I am amazed at your journey and honored to know you! Beautiful hair and woman!

yogachic
August 18th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Congrats girlcat On being cancer free and great growth!

Angellen
August 18th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Your hair really has grown! I'm loving your sproingy curls. Congrats! I'm glad you found what works for you. :)

skay
August 18th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I have never been able to grow my hair longer than BSL, although I tried for years. It kept breaking off! I have since discovered that cones were making my hair break, so going coneless has been crucial for me.
Besides going cone-free, other things I have found to be beneficial: silk pillowcases, seamless combs, baking soda rinses, ACV rinses, and scalp massage. I am not sure if my hair likes oiling, but the most promising oils right now are rice bran oil and peach kernel oil.

Congrats, girlcat36! Especially on your great progress!

In addition to yearly photo updates, I have to say I enjoy just as much reading what people have learned the last year (I guess I just like gleaning from others' experiences ). So thanks for sharing your experience in detail.

I've recently switched to baking soda and ACV rinses (after doing an oil session). It's only been a few times, but so far, so good. I try not to use too much baking soda in the water in hope of not overdrying.

Ciao! :)

jessie58
August 19th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Your hair is looking simply lovely. Congratulations on your great hair recovery and your health recovery. May you grow long, luxurious locks for many years to come.

cindy58
August 19th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Your hair is looking great! Congrats on your anniversary!

Saranne772
August 19th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Congratulations on your hair progress, and you improvement in health :D

Dvips
August 19th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Happy Anniversary! I'm glad you're having such success. :flowers:

Just_Isabel
August 19th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Happy one year anniversary, Girlcat! :D Hurray for your hair getting thicker and longer! :cheese:

levelek
August 19th, 2008, 05:01 AM
girlcat, has it only been one year?! I always thought of you as one of the sage, established members of the community! :)
Your hair is looking so much thicker, and your progress is fantastic! I noticed your new siggie pic a while ago and I wanted to complement you on it, I just didn't want to look like a dodgy and repetitive stalker. LOL. :laugh:

30isthenewblack
August 19th, 2008, 05:24 AM
You're one of my favourite people on this forum as well! You made great progress & I look forward to reaching BSL curly & BSL waist with you and continuing on our hair journey :D

Merkaba
August 19th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Congratulations!

I read in another of your posts that your hair is growing very slowly, which stinks. But the curls should make up for it! And the spot in the back looks great, so keep smiling.

Sofoulee
August 19th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Girlcat!!! Your hair looks phenomenal!!! I really can't believe how much thicker and healthier and longer it looks! You've done a fantastic job! Keep up the good work! :D

purpleorc
August 19th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Congratulations on your one year here at the LHC. what a change in your hair you've certainly can tell the difference. Your an inspiration to others here on LHC and keep up the excellent work

paper
August 19th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Happy Anniversary!!! :flowers:

Great progress pics! I'm so happy for you, your hair looks so pretty.

FrannyG
August 19th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Happy Anniversary, Girlcat!!! :happydance: I'm so delighted that you found us, and your sunny presence has been an inspiration to so many of us.

Congratulations on your beautiful hair growth, and more importantly, on kicking cancer's butt. :blossom:

sexyjacksparrow
August 19th, 2008, 09:54 AM
What fab growth! Thanks for sharing your pictures. It's always great to see how the other curly girls are doing.

Islandgrrl
August 19th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Wow, you have made some serious progress!!! Your hair looks just beautiful! Congratulations, and Happy Anniversary!

harley mama
August 19th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Hey Girlcat,
what a year it's been!

You have inspired and given me courage.
I am happy to call you my friend.
And, I am very impressed at the progress your hair has made in 1 short year!
It looks great!

Hurray4Henna
August 19th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Your definitely inspiring Girlcat! Your hair looks beautiful, full and healthy :flower:

Chamomile betty
August 19th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Congrats on your 1st LHC Anniversary.

Your hair looks wonderful and I love your bun.

girlcat36
August 19th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Thank you all so much for your kind, encouraging words:

suicides eve.....EdG.....Darkwaves....Arctic.....Feralnatur e....BrianaFineHair....Lamb....Alley Cat....manderly....DecafJane....jojo....chloeisher e....Tammy Sue...Paniscus....eaglesflight....Teazel....NurseM ama....Curlsgirl....yogachic....Angellen...skay... .jessie58....cindy58....Saranne775....Dvips....Jus t Isabel....30isthenewblack....Merkaba....Sofoulee.. ..purpleorc....paper....FrannyG....sexyjacksparrow ....Islandgrrl...Hurray4Henna....Chamomile betty

dorothea-brooke---Hee hee, my very first post was sooo sad and pathetic!

levelek--yes, it's 'only' been a year. I have become quite sage since my first post!:D

Harley Mama---you kicked butt! Who'd have thought we would become friends over stupid cancer?

A lot of you have posted that I have been 'inspiring'; I'll take that as a compliment. When I was first diagnosed with cancer, I tried to find the meaning in it. I meditated and prayed alot, and the answer came as a voice saying to me, "You will use this to inspire others."
I didn't know how that was going to happen, but it appears that I am inspiring to people! The voice was right, and I'm on the right track.

My hair has a LOOOONG way to go, I won't kid myself, but as long as I hang out here, I know it will be the best frizzy, wonky, bi-level, curly poof that it can be!:p

Golden21
August 19th, 2008, 04:28 PM
That's awesome! Congrats! Thanks for sharing!

SchnauzerMom
August 19th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Wow there is quite a change there, your hair is definitely thicker. Very, very pretty!

DavidN
August 19th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Congratulations on your one year anniversary at the LHC, Girlcat36, and your hair looks wonderful these days, with increased thickness, length, and the most beautiful curls.:flowers: Also, congratulations for being a survivor, and your strength is a true inspiration to everyone!:cheer:

zelah
August 19th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Congratulations on the one year and amazing hair growth! Your hair is looking beautiful. I am so happy for you! :cheese:

Aqua Gal
August 19th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I think I was just staring to lurk around here about the time you joined. Congratulations on making great strides with your hair. You can see a huge difference in your pictures, especially where you've regrown!!!

Indigo Girl
August 19th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Congratulations girlcat on your anniversary! :flower:

It's been so nice getting to know you, and your hair looks wonderful! :bluesmile

spidermom
August 19th, 2008, 08:16 PM
You're such an inspiration on so many levels, girlcat. We're lucky to have you.

Your hair is looking terrific!

morningstar
August 19th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Girl you are looking fine! I am so glad to have met you, for you inspire me every day.
Your hair looks great. I can't believe you grew so much this year.
I can't wait to see your two year growth.

brok3nwings
August 20th, 2008, 05:04 AM
you are a woman of strenght!! I dont know if i would have such pacience...but you did the best!! Now i can really see your growth, a lot of new hairs and a lot of new volume. And of course, if your hair is growing that well you should be in good health yourself and that is the most important thing :)

Strongnlong
August 20th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Fabulous progress girlcat! I love your story of triumph :agree:

girlcat36
August 21st, 2008, 09:48 AM
:blossom: Thank You's to:

Golden 21....SchnauzerMom....DavidN.....zelah....Aqua Gal....Indigo Girl....spidermom....brok3wings....strongnlong

Morningstar---my hair is still in rehab, but I'm hoping the 2 year pics will be much more impressive.

Okay, this thread can officially die now!

Gumball
August 21st, 2008, 10:16 AM
Happy anniversary! I have to agree your hair has come a long way and is looking totally superb. I adore your curls! I hope you enjoy many more years here and continue being the wonderful person you are!

ETA: This thread isn't dead yet!

dorothea-brooke
August 21st, 2008, 11:12 AM
ETA: This thread isn't dead yet!

Yesssss!

Only we will decide when to stop heaping praise upon you! :D

chrissy-b
August 21st, 2008, 11:35 AM
Still not dead...

Congrats on your amazing progress. You're an inspiration!

saman
August 21st, 2008, 12:33 PM
happy anniversary

GlassEyes
August 21st, 2008, 04:37 PM
Congrats!

I can see why you'd have mixed feelings about your illness if it made you find LHC. XD

I thought you were here for years before me, actually. o-o;;

Blueneko
August 21st, 2008, 04:39 PM
You are awesome, girlcat! Your hair is getting so long and thick!!!

Alethia
August 21st, 2008, 05:05 PM
I'm so glad you posted this, because I caught sight of your siggie picture earlier and thought, "Wow!! Girlcat's hair has changed so much. For the better too." You look terrific, and I'm glad that you've found the reasons why your hair just wasn't making it. The bun looks great too! :woohoo:!

tomm
August 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM
How did I miss this thread? Please accept my most belated congratulations on your one-year anniversary, Girlcat! Your hair is looking so wonderful!! I hope that you still will, on occasion, let it out of its bun so that we can admire the length. :blossom:

Darian Moone
August 21st, 2008, 07:57 PM
Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary and on your continued recovery! Your hair is growing beautifully, and quite frankly, you look radiant. :flowers:

Teacherbear
August 21st, 2008, 08:03 PM
You've had some wonderful growth! I'm so glad you are a member here! :flowers:

Patrycja
August 22nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
Congrats on your one year anniversary,Girlcat :flowers: Keep up the GREAT work with your hair and I am so happy you are recovering!

Dark Rosaleen
August 22nd, 2008, 07:57 AM
You've had some great growth (and thickening up) progress, and you're hair is looking really pretty.

I can't wait to see what it looks like in another year. Congrats! :)

danacc
August 23rd, 2008, 10:03 PM
Congratulations! I love your curls, and the difference in your hair is dramatic. You are an inspiration.

Juanita
August 24th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Your hair is lovely and making a great recovery.