PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying w/ baking soda

BlndeInDisguise
March 17th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I'm about to get in the shower and clarify with baking soda, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. Anybody have any tips and advice for me? :o

spidermom
March 17th, 2008, 11:31 AM
If you've never used it before, try a weak solution in warm water and pour it slowly through your hair, massaging scalp with fingertips.

I tried using it according to the instructions on the side of the baking soda box, which I think said mix 1 tbsp with shampoo (or maybe it was 1 tsp). It dried my hair out and matted it together so bad that I literally could not get comb or fingers through it. I had to do SMT or soak my hair in conditioner every single day for 2 weeks to get it back to normal. It looks like you have similar texture hair to mine, so I must warn you.

I find full-strength shampoo (I usually dilute) clarifies just fine without stripping the life out of my hair.

Kirin
March 17th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Yes, dilute it very well to try it. I cant use it at all, waaaaaaaay too drying.

Patrycja
March 17th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I tried last night for the first time.Used sauve 'poo and baking soda untill IO created a paste.Then-after I gently scrubbed-I condtioned heavily after rinsing.I used a heavy cone condish and it made my hair lose that stiffness you were being warned about.I would recommend it but look at my hair type-is it the same or near same as yours?
that does seem to make a difference with alot of things.I'm not saying it will with this particular recipe.Good luck and report back!

oh-my new siggy pic is today,after the clarifying.I had alot more waves and I have been raving about them all morning to anyone that will and won't listen LOL

Curlsgirl
March 17th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I used to not be able to do it because it would dry my hair out but now I do every once in a while and as long as I follow up with a good moisturizing conditioner and leave-in it does great. I mix about 2 T. of shampoo with maybe 1 teaspoon of baking soda in the palm of my hand. I don't rub it in my scalp at all and just gently through the length, then rinse very well. I probably do this once a month now or whenever I can tell it needs it.

BlndeInDisguise
March 17th, 2008, 12:28 PM
oh-my new siggy pic is today,after the clarifying.I had alot more waves and I have been raving about them all morning to anyone that will and won't listen LOL

Aw! I noticed your new siggy picture. I'm not sure I've ever seen your hair before, but I thought it looked SO pretty and healthy! :)

Thanks everybody for the tips. This is what I did: I took maybe....half a teaspoon of baking soda and mixed it with conditioner and added a little bit of water. I mixed it through my hair and rinsed. After I'd rinsed really well I used some extra conditioner on my ends. It feels nice and soft right now, but it's still sopping wet, so we'll see what it's like when it dries.

I was going to use a full teaspoon, but decided It'd be better to be safe than sorry. ;)

This is also the the first CO wash I've done in a while.

eccentricquirks
March 17th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Applying in CO or with conditioner might not be a bad idea.

I'd just watch out for mild foaming as some conditioners actually are mildly low ph (to balance out a slightly higher ph shampoo). Foaming shouldn't damage the hair, but may neutralize the acidic action that causes the cuticle of the hair to lay flat - ie what smoothes the hair down. Rinse well afterward, and either recondition with a second conditioner or ACV.

Too bad basic chemistry doesn't allow for one to throw the goodness of a CO and the clarifying of a baking soda scrub in with the bennies of an acid peel like asprin. Seperately, yes, they are marvelous things, but it would just be so much easier if I could do it all in one shot.....

lora410
March 17th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Be careful it is very drying!!!! I diluted mine with water and had to do a deep condish afterwards, and will prob never calify liek that again.

Elenna
March 17th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Baking soda may or may not be good for your hair.

I've been using clarifying shampoos because of build-up, but hair never seems to get completely degunked.

I decided to use 1 tsp. baking soda with shampoo. I mixed the ingredients together and washed my hair with it. I noticed that it got my hair cleaner/degunked than with the regular clarifying shampoos. This is a good thing for my hair.

I think it depends on the hair type, your shampoo and baking soda ratio, and what you are trying to do.

Baking soda can get hair too clean apparently.

Elenna

BlndeInDisguise
March 17th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Rinse well afterward, and either recondition with a second conditioner or ACV.

Thanks for the warning! :) I did rinse with ACV afterwards. My hair was so soft and shiny when it dried, I think it was just what it needed. :cheese:

Sherri
March 20th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Baking soda may or may not be good for your hair.

I've been using clarifying shampoos because of build-up, but hair never seems to get completely degunked.

I decided to use 1 tsp. baking soda with shampoo. I mixed the ingredients together and washed my hair with it. I noticed that it got my hair cleaner/degunked than with the regular clarifying shampoos. This is a good thing for my hair.

I think it depends on the hair type, your shampoo and baking soda ratio, and what you are trying to do.

Baking soda can get hair too clean apparently.

Elenna
Just wondering what type of shampoo you use with the baking soda?

Curlsgirl
March 20th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Just wondering what type of shampoo you use with the baking soda?

I just use my regular shampoo.

Patrycja
March 20th, 2008, 12:51 PM
great!! I'm glad it worked for you.I might have to do it in a CO next time,thanks for that little tip.

and you are way too sweet about the compliment.Believe me,those good hair days are few and far between :D :love: :blossom:

SweetRedCheery
March 20th, 2008, 02:48 PM
i actually use babyslime's method (slightly modified) of washing with baking soda pretty much everytime i wash my roots (then i slather it with vo5 vanilla mint tea clarifying condish)
1 tsp with 1 cup of water (and sometimes a drop of shampoo) then i shake it until bubbles form at the top, which i lather my hair with then.
you can more about the baking soda wash here: http://babyslime.livejournal.com/174054.html

kissedbyfyre
March 20th, 2008, 03:07 PM
1 tablespoon to 1 cup of water seems to be the general rule. Be careful, too much baking soda can make the hair feel crunchy. The mixture shouldn't feel gritty at all.

Follow up with an ACV rinse. This is actually how I care for my hair now.