PDA

View Full Version : Natural Recipes to Straighten or Relax Hair

Springlets
October 23rd, 2012, 02:49 AM
Here is a list of recipes (http://www.buzzle.com/articles/straighten-hair-naturally.html)that promote straightness in hair (over time).

I tried the milk and honey one and these were my results!
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/P1210556.jpg

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/P1210557-1.jpg

The shine was pretty awesome too!
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/P1210549.jpg
So, not pin straight, but it was the first try and that's not what I was going for anyway. I'm fine with anything in the 1c-2b region, and I think that's what I got? Anyway, just sharing my results and the recipes in case anyone else wants to try.

jacqueline101
October 23rd, 2012, 03:09 AM
I know its not a natural recipe but have you tried a heavy coney conditioner? I did that and it straightened my perm curls. I used it on dry hair covered with a shower cap combed straight left on for 15 min comb out excess then rinsed the remainder in the shower. Keeping hair straight.

itdontmatter48
October 23rd, 2012, 08:10 AM
It is very shiny! Nice. Not sure I can see the straightening, but it looks very manageable and pretty.

eros
October 23rd, 2012, 08:50 AM
But.. your curls look lovely!

Springlets
October 23rd, 2012, 10:00 AM
I know its not a natural recipe but have you tried a heavy coney conditioner? I did that and it straightened my perm curls. I used it on dry hair covered with a shower cap combed straight left on for 15 min comb out excess then rinsed the remainder in the shower. Keeping hair straight.

Hmm I don't know if I have tried a very coney conditioner before, at least not for a long time. I'm living in China right now, so everything's written in Chinese on the back of my products, so I have no idea what's what in them. I have tried to avoid cones in the past though. :)

It is very shiny! Nice. Not sure I can see the straightening, but it looks very manageable and pretty.

Thank you. :) If you look at my avatar and signature pics, I think there is a big difference in straightness. It's certainly not perfectly straight, but the curl is far more relaxed, which is what I'm going for.

But.. your curls look lovely!
Thanks, I do love my curls, but I've also always dreamed of what it would be like to get out of the shower, comb my hair out, and have it dry relatively straight. I wouldn't be looking for a permanent straightening, but I am kind of curious to see if you can get somewhat long term effects from continual use of these recipes. It's kind of in the name of science/personal whim. ;)

Amygirl8
October 23rd, 2012, 03:42 PM
asdfghjkl
That got you from a 3a/b to 1c/2a?
I'm going to have to try this! Your hair looks really nice, too =D

ETA: How much milk did you use for it, by the way?

Springlets
October 23rd, 2012, 08:34 PM
asdfghjkl
That got you from a 3a/b to 1c/2a?
I'm going to have to try this! Your hair looks really nice, too =D

ETA: How much milk did you use for it, by the way?

Yes, my hair is normally 3a/b. I ended up using a cup of milk with 1/3 cup of water and a smidge of honey. Stirred it up and dunked my hair in it (the website suggests using a spray bottle, but I don't have one of those). I combed my hair to get it all the way through, then left it on for more than an hour. Your hair will get really stiff and heavy! Then I washed it out with shampoo (or you can co-wash) and air-dried it in a ponytail with one other band around the length of it. Your hair will feel a bit heavier after you showered, kind of like those who use henna or cassia say their hair feels. The effect is supposed to build up over time too! But also I think these treatments are really healthy for my hair- my hair felt very soft afterwards as well! Good luck! And thanks!

Amygirl8
October 24th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Yes, my hair is normally 3a/b. I ended up using a cup of milk with 1/3 cup of water and a smidge of honey. Stirred it up and dunked my hair in it (the website suggests using a spray bottle, but I don't have one of those). I combed my hair to get it all the way through, then left it on for more than an hour. Your hair will get really stiff and heavy! Then I washed it out with shampoo (or you can co-wash) and air-dried it in a ponytail with one other band around the length of it. Your hair will feel a bit heavier after you showered, kind of like those who use henna or cassia say their hair feels. The effect is supposed to build up over time too! But also I think these treatments are really healthy for my hair- my hair felt very soft afterwards as well! Good luck! And thanks!

Yeah, it must end up pretty stiff and heavy. I've accidentally gotten milk on my hair before, and was really fascinated with the results.
Thanks again! I'm going to try this out today ;D

ETA: Just applied the milk and honey- it feels so smooth already, wow! Haha.

Kiwiwi
October 24th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Wow, looks pretty!
Did you apply it all over your hair (scalp area too)?
I'm gonna try this soon, will let you know hoe it turns out on me :)

10000days
October 29th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Oh!- awesome result! Thanks for the website- I'm going to try these!

Amygirl8
October 31st, 2012, 06:43 PM
Never got a chance to post my results, LHC is down most of the time for me :P
My hair didn't really turn out any straighter than usual (once I brush it out it becomes pretty straight with a few body waves) but it felt nice.
I think I might try one of the other methods to see if they work :]