PDA

View Full Version : Not wearing hair down because of insecurities?

vindo
August 18th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I have noticed there is many LHC ers that are not (yet) satisfied with the way their hair looks and do not wear it down often for that reason.

I have created this survey to see how everyone else deal with their hair insecurities.

Hair Length:

Goal Hair Length:

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?:

When did you start feeling like that?:

How do you deal with it?:

Have things bettered?:

What is your stategie to improve its looks when down?:

When will you be happy? :

Well, I would love to hear your answers.

WritingPrincess
August 18th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I voted "No Insecurities" but I meant to vote "Some Insecurities". Sorry about that.

Hair Length: Halfway between tailbone and classic

Goal Hair Length: Knee length--possibly beyond.

I don't feel very insecure about wearing my hair down, but I do feel like it becomes tangled and stops looking good after 10-30 minutes.

When did you start feeling like that?: When I finished wearing my hair up for six months, it had grown enough that it tangled more easily and I wasn't really used to having it down anymore.

How do you deal with it?: I carry a comb and will run it through my hair periodically.

Have things bettered?: Somewhat. I'm really not used to wearing my hair down yet.

What is your strategy to improve its looks when down?:
See the above question "How do you deal with it?"

When will you be happy?: I'm not sure. I'm planning on letting it get quite a bit longer than it already is, and it's F/M, so I don't know if it'll ever change. I'm mostly happy with it anyway right now.

Islandgrrl
August 18th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Hair Length: BSL

Goal Hair Length: Knee to Terminal

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: I don't really have insecurities about wearing it down, I'm just so used to wearing it up that I can hardly imagine wearing it down!

When did you start feeling like that?: About 100 days into my Hair Up for a Year Challenge (which has about 102 days left)

How do you deal with it?: For now I wear it up. After another 102 days, I don't know.

Have things bettered?: Yes, in that my hair is in better condition now so that when I'm ready to wear it down it will look pretty good.

What is your strategy to improve its looks when down?: My first reaction was to say, Wear It Up. But I think that if I just make sure it looks okay and protect it from mechanical damage, I'll be okay.

When will you be happy?: I'm happy with things now in terms of the condition of my hair. I'll be happier with more length, gobs more length, and when I can trim off the remaining bits of damage (which are not too bad).

RedCardigan
August 18th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Hair Length: Just below shoulder but heavily layered.

Goal Hair Length: 1st goal is BSL

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: Its short. The ends are really thin and heavily layered and razored.

When did you start feeling like that?: About 3 months after I foolishly cut my hair super-short

How do you deal with it?: Wear it up as much as possible. Started CO-washing. Try to be patient as it grows out.

Have things bettered?: I think CO washing and being able to wear my hair up vs just in a ponytail has helped improve the condition of my ends alot.

Not much I can really do, I think it will improve as it gains length

When its finally BSL and when I get the layers (eventually) all grown and trimmed out.

Buddaphlyy
August 18th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I voted for insecure about Blue Cheese. I'm deathly afraid of it.

RedRose
August 18th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I voted for very insecure.

Hair Length: Above shoulder, 17 inches

Goal Hair Length: BSL seems very far away right now, but more achieveable than waist!

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: I have very thick mind-of-its-own hair, which this short is uncontrollable, unless you choose to blowfry or worse to it, which I don't want to do. And the colour is hideous and makes me looks washed out. Hopefully that will change. Sadly its so short that I now HAVE to wear it down. My hair is better longer, since then it behaves itself under its own weight.

When did you start feeling like that?: Today, horrible, horrible cut. But before that the colour was hideous, so I don't think I've worn my hair down in public since well before easter. Now I have no choice as its too short to do anything with. I started feeling self conscious when the colour became horrendously uneven and patchy.

How do you deal with it?: Um...N/A yet I suppose, but I guess I'm just going to have to grit my teeth and bear it. And maybe invest in a push up bra and some big sparkly earrings to distract attention away from my hair.

Have things bettered?: N/A, but I do hope they will.

What is your strategy to improve its looks when down?: I'm considering possibly using monistat to make it grow faster. That would help! And fading out this colour and possibly using honey treatments to get it where I want it to be. I suppose time is all that can really help.

When will you be happy? : When my hair stays behind my shoulders? When my hair reaches my shoulders? When it has enough weight to not go crazy? One of those. And also, when the colour is one which SUITS me and is relatively EVEN, in the natural way as opposed to chemical colour craziness.

I suppose its the way that we're all insecure about what we have/haven't got, but it's so sad! If I had the OP hair I would just smile every day and love wearing it down, see-through ends be damned! Your hair looks absolutely beautiful to me. This thread has made me think a lot about my own over-worrying about how my hair currently is. My hair isn't perfect, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have beauty (the virgin growth is very lovely, those wonderful 2.5 inches!). Maybe I should stop worrying so much and embrace it. But that might have to wait until its a little longer and isn't triangular, that's just too much to deal with right now.

AJoifulNoise
August 18th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I chose somewhat.

Hair Length: See siggy. That's about 27 inches. So, just between BSL and Waist

Goal Hair Length: Mini goal-Waist. Ultimate goal-Knee?

It's kind of funny. I cut off my thin ends in July because I was so insecure about them. But, now my hair feels so short that I don't want to wear it down! I am far less insecure than I used to be, but I still wear it up much of the time.

When did you start feeling like that?: Because of thin ends- January 2008. Because of hair shortness-July 2008.

How do you deal with it?: I wear my hair up either in buns (the best), braids (still feels short), or some combination (akward at this length).

Have things bettered?: Yes. I am adjusting to the length and becoming more confident about it. I am so incredibly happy that my ends are blunt and thick. When I wear my hair down, I focus on that.

Only on CO days. It's less frizzy.

When I grow back those 6 or so inches. I'll feel more like me when my hair reaches waist and I can continue where I left off.

spidermom
August 18th, 2008, 03:56 PM
My insecurities have to do with the fact that my hair is so fluffy and poufy and frizzy so much of the time; it's more like a cloud than hair. So to be sure it isn't catching the slightest breeze and floating over to stroke some stranger's cheek, I securely bundle it up and pin it to my head.

thankyousir74
August 18th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Hair Length: Shoulder

Goal Hair Length: Terminal

VERY uneven hemline but that's not really it, I just don't think it's long enough to make a significant difference from when it is up or down. That's why I voted somewhat.

When did you start feeling like that?: Since I was able to put an elastic in my hair

How do you deal with it?: Meh I try doing half ups to get used to the feeling.

Have things bettered?: Things will surely better with time and growth

none really just at least have it oiled a bit so it doesn't look frizzy or dry

Around BSL and all the same length

Gumball
August 18th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I picked no insecurities. I actually used to wear it down all the time when it was shorter, but with my hair type I just don't have the patience to deal with it after it's been down for a long time (tangles or it just wrapping around itself). That's why I keep it up and out of the way in some form or another most of the time.

Meli
August 18th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Hair Length: Between waist and hip.

Goal Hair Length: Terminal.

My ends are damaged from rough handling, and the last 4-5 inches have extreme taper and "natural layers" caused by old breakage. I don't mind the see-through, as I prefer fairytale ends, but this extreme taper makes them scraggly-looking and rough, instead of naturally tapering.

When did you start feeling like that?: This summer - I have been dealing with lots of breakage since May. Before that, the ends did not look quite as scraggly as they do now.

How do you deal with it?: I wear my hair up or at least braided. I'm not very happy with my braid tassels either, but if I'm going somewhere I just wear a bun. (I would wear my hair mostly up even if I was happy with the ends - because I have fine, fragile hair and it is more protected when it's up, and also because it is comfortable to have the hair out of the way.)

Have things bettered?: Yes, it has. I have trimmed a bit more than an inch already, and I expect to still be able to reach hip length before the end of the year.

What is your stategy to improve its looks when down?: I have recently started trimming, and will do frequent microtrims until enough damage is gone. I'm not going for a thick hemline, though - I will just remove what's needed to not get my growth slowed by breakage. I still feel that gaining length is more important than removing the damage as fast as possible.

When will you be happy? : When I have removed the worst 4-5 inches. If I don't cut more than half of my growth, I should also have reached TBL by then - a length that I'm more familiar with and like better than my current length (that feels a bit short).

girlcat36
August 18th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Voted very insecure!

Hair Length: APL

Goal Hair Length: Classic

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: My ends are ridiculously thin, yet I can't chop! I am afraid of short hair.

When did you start feeling like that?: After I lost half my hair, and went bald on the bottom of the back of my head.

How do you deal with it?: Microtrimming.

Have things bettered?: My bald area has finally grown in enough(7") that I can get it ALL up in a bun. Finally!

What is your stategie to improve its looks when down?:More SMT's, occasional half-ups, and dark shirts.

When will you be happy? : When my hair is all one length and at least waist length!

ChatoyantLocks
August 18th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Hair Length: Bermuda shorts length

Goal Hair Length: Terminal. I have no plans to ever cut it again.

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: I'm mainly insecure about wearing my hair down in public when I am by myself. This is because I occasionally draw the attention of someone who is creepy, and it makes me uncomfortable. (I don't mind getting polite compliments from non creepy people.) I also find that my hair tangles more when it is down, so keeping it up is easier to deal with.

When did you start feeling like that?: I'm not sure. I think it was more a transitional thing, than a specific shift.

How do you deal with it?: I keep my hair up, if I'm in public by myself.

Have things bettered?: Yes, I'm nearly invisible if I want to be.

What is your strategy to improve its looks when down?: N/A

When will you be happy? : With my hair? I'm happy with it now!

freznow
August 18th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Voted some insecurities.

Hair Length: Just past classic

Goal Hair Length: Knee and/or terminal

I worry about how clean it looks. I worry about people touching it. I worry about getting it caught in things. I worry about it making me a target. And I just don't want people commenting on it. Also worry about how thin it looks. (For some reason, I get TONS of comments along the lines of "Wow you're hair is long. But you know, you don't have a LOT of hair, some people think that long hair is the same as thick hair..." yada yada yada, mostly from Asian/Indian girls who I know aren't being offensive but are just used to long, thick hair. Not what I've got...)

When did you start feeling like that?: About spring 2006, after my last cut.

How do you deal with it?: Wear it up. Try new washing methods. Braidwaves.

Have things bettered?: Not much that could be done to get better other than having indestructible thick hair that never gets oily. lol

What is your stategy to improve its looks when down?:
Braid waves help. I'm considering henna for the strengthening, but don't really want added color, so I'll probably do a henna gloss as cassia alone doesn't do much. And only wear down on days it wants to.

When I have thicker hair (I suppose I shouldn't complain, my hair's twice as thick as my grandma's), when I have stronger, healthier hair (possible...). I mean, it's not SO bad now. I do like wearing it up. I'd just like for it to have more slip when down and not be so vulnerable...

prosperina
August 18th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Voted: somewhat insecure
Hair Length: ~BSL, but heavily layered

Goal Hair Length: Hip

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: I used to feel bad about the uneven color, but that has cleared up wonderfully. Now, it's the annoying layers, and the fact that unless my hair is newly brushed/combed, it sticks together (no tangling, believe it or not) and looks matted and uncombed, which makes it look shorter.

When did you start feeling like that?: since I started growing out this damned bob almost as soon as I got it. (2+ years ago)

How do you deal with it?: deep treatments to hydrate hair, which really don't do anything but make me like my hair more, and half ups, which seem to give the illusion of more length.

Have things bettered?: I think so. Since my hair has grown, it's less bushy, and the shorter layers seem to have grown faster than the longer ones.

What is your stategie to improve its looks when down?:half ups, fun earrings, more conditioner to handle frizz

When will you be happy? : I try to be happy now, but I will really be pleased when my hair has either no layers or more subtle ones, and when it hits at least waist. And faster growth would be nice too.

ZaBasDa
August 18th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I voted blue cheese because I find that stuff mildly revolting and creepy.

Hair Length:Almost waist.

Goal Hair Length: Mini-goal is hips, but I want to get to terminal.

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: I'm growing out various shades of dye/bleach/henna combos. And my curls are starting to look more like waves. It's hard to have good curly days.

When did you start feeling like that?: Around bsl and when I was forbidden to dye my hair anymore. Oh and when it started falling out due to my PCOS.

How do you deal with it?: I braid it or bun it for any day after wash day.

Have things bettered?: Not really, but they haven't gotten worse.

What is your strategy to improve its looks when down?: I'm henna-ing to try and even the color and I remind myself that my hair looks better than I think it does.

When will you be happy?: When my thickness comes back. And if my hair could stop being weighted down by the length. Hip length will be nice though.

FrannyG
August 18th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I have absolutely no insecurities about wearing my hair down. I cut a few inches off my hair recently after going blonde again after The Brunette Experiment failed. Even before my cut, I felt very good about wearing my hair down.

I trim about 1/3 of my growth every 3 months, so I gain length, but keep my ends fairly thick at the same time. In other words, I trim my hair to keep up with the slowest growing hairs.

If I didn't do that, my hair would look very see-through, as I experienced at waist length during my initial nine months of LHC growth.
I only answered a few questions, because most did not apply.

Hair Length: Closing in on BSL (again! :p)

Goal Hair Length: Tailbone or longer

When will you be happy? : I am very happy right now, and continue to become happier with every passing month of new length

Tangles
August 18th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Voted somewhat.

Hair length: almost APL
Goal length: Waist
Reason for feeling insecure: Dryness problems that worsened after henna. Layers that flip out all over the place. Awkward length. Occasional "poofiness."
When started being insecure: As soon as I started seeing some growth the dryness also seemed to increase. And as I said, henna worsened the problem.
How do you deal with it: Updos, wearing my hair wavy to disguise flaws and layers.
Has it improved since then: No.
When will you be happy? When my hair is a couple inches longer, the layers have grown out more, and I've figured out a routine that won't leave me feeling crunchy.

MadHatter
August 18th, 2008, 06:25 PM
My scalp produces an unreal amount of oil. I have to wash it every other day. On wash day, I keep my hair in some updo because it gets so nasty and piece-y near the scalp.

birthmarkie
August 18th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Hair Length: APL - BSL

Goal Hair Length: Tailbone

Less respect than when it is up, not wanting to play with it too much, getting tangles from lack of containment, uneven/scraggly ends, pieceyness

When did you start feeling like that?: a couple of months ago

How do you deal with it?: microtrimmer, I compromise and wear it down at home and I try to wear it down once a week or so when I'm out

Have things bettered?: "Planned Hair down days are actually okay now..not great but I can be proud of its length and condition." -- ditto

no collared shirts when it is down, hairbands, clean hair, straight part, thoroughly detangled as much as possible, leave-in for baby hair control

I think I'll be happy when my hair layers are all long enough to stay behind my shoulders. Right now my straight hair splits off into three pieces and it is not a flattering look from behind. So, approximately one more year. But I think the more days/week I feel okay with it down, the better I'll feel.

Elanor
August 18th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Voted: No insecurities
Hair Length: A bit past BSL, heavily layered
Goal Hair Length: Waist

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?
I don't really feel insecure, I love wearing my hair down. But I want it to be clean and fresh, if it's more than 1 day from last wash, I wear it up.

When did you start feeling like that?
I started stretching washes this summer so my hair isn't fresh all the time.

How do you deal with it?
I took the challenge to wear my hair up all summer, so that's what I've been doing. I miss wearing my hair down though..

What is your stategie to improve its looks when down?
Make sure I've washed it the same day or day before.

When will you be happy?
When my hair hits waist

Remke
August 19th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Voted:Somewhat

Hair Length: Between tb and classic

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: Now it's longer the ends are thinner.

When did you start feeling like that?: Sinds tailbone. At waist it was all ok.

How do you deal with it?: In public I wear it up. I only wear it down at home and sometimes for a few minutes between changing my updo.

Have things bettered?: Well in my last longhair meeting my hair looked ok with braidwaves.. (see below)

What is your stategie to improve its looks when down?:Just letting it grow so the thin ends are lower and my length is what people see

When will you be happy? :When the ends are trimmed and it's classic or longer. And people stop saying I've got thin hair... But most time they mean the straightness I think.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/555Nikita/YRP/Haar/CastleFest200829klein.jpg

Duchess of Erat
August 19th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Voted: No insecurities
Hair Length: between waist and tailbone
Goal Hair Length: I'll know when I get there :)

I don't feel insecure about wearing it down, I used to wear it clipped back with a small claw clip all the time. Since finding long hair forums I've started wearing it up more and I've gotten used to that, so it tends to get in my way now when it's down.

since finding LHC and Raponsje, and discovering comfortable updos.

How do you deal with it?
I don't think it's a problem, so there's nothing I need to deal with.

What is your stategy to improve its looks when down?
As long as it's clean it will look fine.

When will you be happy?
Hair-wise? No idea, but I'm sure I'll know when I get there :)

Samikha
August 19th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Voted: Very.

Goal Hair Length: Waist to hip

I feel like it looks unkept and bad. I haven't found a routine that works consistently yet, and in the meantime my hair is either very piecy in a sort of dry-greasy way or floofy and flyaway when I've clarified. The flyaways was the reason I sprayed it into submission for years. I don't use styling products these days because the ones I find are chock full of either cones or drying alcohol, and without that I feel very insecure and start braiding it or putting it up out of nervousity. Plus, it's in the way!

When did you start feeling like that?: This past month and a half.

How do you deal with it?: Put it up:o

Have things bettered?: I'll have to give it a little more time ^^

Try new things? I think, once I find a way to make my hair behave as I want it to, I'll feel more confident about exposing the results to others.

When I can find a way to give my hair the weight and the look I want, without the otter in an oilslick look.

tiny_teesha
August 19th, 2008, 04:43 AM
I voted very much.

Hair Length: Waist

Goal Hair Length: TB, but hopeing for Knee!

APL down is THIN, not to mention dammaged and not resembling hair, but thin hay.

When i was at BSL (Oct 2007) well really that august earlier was waist and i chopped off layers....ok further. Since my layered hair cut in 2005!!!! But in october when i chopped to BSL i was more pleased with the blunt ends I started to feel a bit embarrased of the taper since then ever but more noticibly as it grew without trims and especially when i cut a V hemn. Then i had a mini shed in May 2008 i was absolutely ASHAMED of it! :(. Even with trims i feel the same.

I put it up. And when it is down i preferr it to be wavy so it looks fuller and the ends clump so they aren't see through. I am also trimming my growth sine MAY.

Have things bettered?:
Um...little. The V is more straight so that already makes a better difference in a less tapered tassle.

What is your strategie to improve its looks when down?:
mentioned above as well as wearing dark clothing like my hair.

if i got a hair transplant :P Nah...When i get virgin hair at TB at least length with my natural minimal taper. NEVER DYE HAIR AGAIN, CHEMS ARE EVIL and HENNA OD IS EVIL!

Phew. :) My 2 cents!

sexyjacksparrow
August 19th, 2008, 06:33 AM
No insecurities! In fact I am more insecure abotu wearing my hair up because it draws the attention to my face rather than my hair then.

Nightshade
August 19th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I voted somewhat. Although I've had more comments (good) than I can count with my hair down... :shrug: I just feel that my ends are still to tattered to look really nice. Too thin, etc.

To that same effect is why I don't wear my hair braided and left down outside the house. If it's braided it's up in a bun so the taper isn't so sad.

On good days I usually bun curl it before going out and I think it looks nice, I just don't want to be the poster child for, "Oh, her hair would be so pretty, if only she'd cut 8 inches off" and them not knowing all the work I've put into it and how I will take those 8 inches off in time.

akka naeda
August 19th, 2008, 08:00 AM
I chose no insecurities.
I used to wear it down a lot when it was shorter, but at this length (round about knee) there's a lot to deal with when it gets tangled up, I'd need to continually be combing it to make it look good, it's friendly and likes to know what other people are doing:), so that means it's generally up or in a plait down my back. Days when it's down now depend a lot on the weather - early/late summer when it's not too hot and not too windy is ideal.

rhysiana
August 19th, 2008, 08:44 AM

Goal Hair Length: TBL (where it used to be), though I suspect I'll want to keep going when I get there

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: Though my hair is stick-straight, the individual hairs are fine and tend to get a life of their own and wander around, especially if I'm at work and they are rubbing against the back of my chair. Also, since I am the youngest person in my office and look even younger, I worry that it looks unprofessional.

When did you start feeling like that?: Since I started regrowing my hair and it reached BSL.

How do you deal with it?: I restrain it at least in a low ponytail any time I go somewhere, and most of the time while at home, too.

Have things bettered?: Learning more updos to wear to work has helped with the feeling unprofessional part, but I've yet to find a good way to keep my fine hairs from flying. I'm considering cassia, and possibly henna, though I don't really want a color change.

What is your strategy to improve its looks when down?: Still working on it! (See above.)

When will you be happy?: When I can tame the flyaways better.

chrissy-b
August 19th, 2008, 03:07 PM
My hair is in a strange state. I have fairytale ends, tons of new growth and I haven't trimmed since last January so yeah, I do feel a little insecure about how my hair looks down right now. Luckily, I'm part of the "wear your hair up for a..." year challenge and haven't had any problem sticking to it.

ETA:
Hair Length: Approx CBL

Goal Hair Length: Hip

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: See above...

When did you start feeling like that?: Most of this year.

How do you deal with it?: I've been experimenting with different updos.

Have things bettered?: My hair is getting much longer w/o the frequent trims I used to do, and I'm looking forward to evening up my hemline at the end of the year.

What is your strategy to improve its looks when down?: I don't wear it down at all. At least not until the end of the year...we'll see what happens then.

When will you be happy?: I am happy. Wait. Hair happy? When it's all one length.

kowlrea
August 19th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Voted: Very Insecure

Hair Length: Bsl

Goal Hair Length: Almost Hip

Two inches of my ends need cutting off, and I dont plan to wear my hair down until it reaches HL and then i can cut off those two inches. Im really trying to get that before August next year

When did you start feeling like that?: May 2008

How do you deal with it?: I dont really, i just keep it up and wait for the day it creeps towards waist. It seems to be stuck at BSL for like 3 months !

Have things bettered?: Not really

I wear curly styles

When I get to HL and I cant cut off those last two inches of hair and 1/2" off of my layers and have sexy swinging hair !

Amoretti
August 20th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Hair Length: Classic

Goal Hair Length: Classic - to upper thigh

In my world I am a long hair freak although it isn’t all that long by LHC standards.

When did you start feeling like that?: Once it reached TB.

How do you deal with it?: I simply put it up every day.

Have things bettered?: Not really. I still feel insecure about wearing it down because of the comments. Another problem is that it gets into everything and is highly impractical.

I’m not planning on wearing it down so I don’t have a strategy.

I already am. I just wish I could wear it down sometimes.

Finoriel
August 20th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I voted for no insecurities.
Wearing my hair mostly up is mainly because it would be highly impractical or even dangerous to wear it down. I also enjoy the huge variety of styles I can do, down it always looks the same, which is somehow boring imo. And I´m not a very hmm "showy" person, not much interested in showing off my hair to others.
My reasons for wearing it up are not because I´m insecure about it how it looks. I like how it is :wink: I´m just not interested in wearing it down much. :gabigrin: Odd I know.

Juneii
August 20th, 2008, 11:59 AM

Goal Hair Length: TB-classic

I have layered hair and the shortest is between my ears and shoulders. if I don't straighten it my hair would get bendy and makes my head look weird because of this indent in my hair at my neck.

When did you start feeling like that?: right when I asked the hairdresser to cut layers from my shoulder to mid-back.

How do you deal with it?: I either keep it up, straighten it, or make braid waves

Have things bettered?: yes, my hair is growing out and the shortest layer is getting closer to my shoulder and is bending less because of the weight.

I want to save my hair from frying so I usually do either a half-up or make braid waves.

when the shortest layer is at BSL. at least for now, I want my hair to be at classic as 1 layer

socks
August 20th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Hair Length: 64.5" (1/3 of the way down my calves)

Goal Hair Length: Ankle+ (At least 72")

I'm not insecure with the way my hair looks, but I am afraid of something happening to my hair while it is down (my worst fear is of someone cutting it off). There's also the issues of practicality, safety, avoiding the extra attention, ect.

When did you start feeling like that?: People have been threatening to cut my hair off while I'm asleep or distracted since I first started growing my hair out about 12 years ago.

How do you deal with it?: I wear my hair up both at home and in public.

Have things bettered?: My family no longer threatens to cut my hair and I have surrounded myself with more understanding people, so I can occasionally wear my hair in a braid and I no longer sleep with my hair covered or clutched in my hands.

As I said earlier, my insecurities are not based on my hair's appearance.

I am hair happy. :)

Curlsgirl
August 20th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Hope Socks doesn't mind, I copied hers that I felt the same on :)

Hair Length: Mid-back

Goal Hair Length: Waist or TB

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: I sometimes wear it down because I like the way it looks sometimes but am insecure as it gets longer about catching it on things or breaking it or it getting in the way and getting damaged, those kinds of things.

When did you start feeling like that?: I'm not sure. I think it was more a transitional thing, than a specific shift.

How do you deal with it?: I keep my hair up a lot of the time, especially in a place other than home or work.

Have things bettered?: I feel MORE that way as it gets longer.

What is your strategy to improve its looks when down?: N/A

When will you be happy? : With my hair? I'm happy with it now!

Tap Dancer
August 21st, 2008, 06:30 AM
I love wearing my hair down.

Dark Rosaleen
August 21st, 2008, 07:59 AM
I voted somewhat.

Hair Length: Collar?

Goal Hair Length: Not sure. I'll just wait and see what happens. I dream occasionally of waist length though.

My hair is looking a little akward at this length. It's rather flat on the top of my head, but poofs out at the sides.

When did you start feeling like that?: In the last month or two I suppose.

How do you deal with it?: I will usually just wear it up, or ignore it.

Have things bettered?: A little. It will get better as my hair gets longer.

What is your stategie to improve its looks when down?:It depends. Sometimes combing it helps, other days not combing it is the best way to go. My hair is wierd.

When will you be happy? : Meh, I'm trying to be happy where I'm at, and I am a good part of the time. I'll be even happier when it gets to shoulder length.

windinherhair
October 18th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I voted "somewhat." A few months ago I would have voted that it didn't bother me. I think as my hair is getting longer, I am becoming more aware of my surroundings that people are going to notice my hair more.

JamieLeigh
October 18th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Look, Emi! A poll from when you were above classic length! :p lol.

Hair Length: Past classic/upper thigh

Goal Hair Length: Knee - short term, terminal - long term

I wear it up because it gets in my way when I deal with day-to-day life....kids, etc.

In 2001 when I had my first child, and had to start changing diapers with waist-length hair.

I keep it in updos and buns, out of the way.

Have things bettered?:
Yes, and in the long run I'm improving how it looks when down, because I'm protecting it from the damage caused by friction and catching on things. :)

To make sure I'm not wearing something it can get caught on - I recently threw away some jeans that had buttons on the back pockets. And it doesn't look good down when I have on a hooded jacket.

When will you be happy?
I'm pretty darn happy right now - but there's always just that LITTLE BIT MORE that I don't have, length and thickness-wise. ;)

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 18th, 2009, 09:03 PM
There is no real option for me.. I prefer to have my hair down, I look better with it down, but because I want to protect it I wear it up.. so I am the opposite of what the poll asks :)

Yozhik
October 18th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I love blue cheese!

That being said, I picked some insecurities, but they mostly stem from my attempts to go off of SLS and daily washes, which makes my hair oilier than it used to be. It also looks glossier and is nicer to touch, but the downside is that I get paranoid now when it's down that someone is going to say that it's greasy. :(

Laylah
October 18th, 2009, 09:45 PM
No insecurities about the way my hair looks. I'm only worried about the damage/tangling it causes.

Hair Length: "can-I-call-this-hip"

Goal Hair Length: thigh

I hate the tangles.

When did you start feeling like that?: there wasn't really a point that I felt like that, although the longer it gets the worse it gets.

How do you deal with it?: I carry a comb in my purse, only leave my hair loose when there aren't many tangling factors around, and use lots of oil to give it slip.

Have things bettered?: Not really, and they will get worse as my hair gets longer. But hey it's worth it :)

Oil, frequent combing.

I'm happy with my hair now.

RedJen
October 19th, 2009, 01:41 AM
I don't wear my hair down because I get harassed about how I should give it away *every time*. So I just don't give the Conformity Police any ammunition.

Wicked Princess
October 19th, 2009, 02:16 AM
I never really noticed this thread until now - please pardon my belated participation!

Vote: Very insecure!

Hair Length: Between tailbone and classic.

Goal Hair Length: Terminal (I can't help it...I'm curious!). After I reach that point, I will likely cut my hair back to upper-thigh lengths. I find this length very attractive and manageable, while still being markedly long.

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: Honestly, I'm not sure. I think my insecurities started soon after I began my current job. I had to look very put together and professional, while also being required to keep my hair out of the way and safe. I work in a lab with a very strict dress code (I just had to choose the one place that wouldn't let me wear jeans to work, eh? :( ). To cope with this, I started wearing my hair up every day. Four months later, I feel like I've developed a "work persona" that has carried into every aspect of my life. I feel as though I must dress professionally even on my days off - my hair must be sleek and in a nice updo. Now, I don't feel like my personality is being squished - I tend to dress nicely no matter what. :) But now that I am required to, I feel like it has become more deeply ingrained in my personality than I ever thought it would be.

When did you start feeling like that?: Four months ago, when I started my current job. Oops! I suppose I answered too soon.

How do you deal with it?: I wear it up! Preferably with pretty adornments. :D

Have things bettered?: In a sense. Over the months, I've been taking better care of my hair, and I must admit that I like the protection that updos provide.

What is your strategy to improve its looks when down?: Put it back up!!! :p Just kidding. Sort of. :rolleyes: On the VERY rare occasion that I wear it completely down, I make sure that it is the day after I washed it, and that it has been thoroughly combed. If I feel the need to show off my length, I'll wear it in a sleek braid. This, too, is very rare.

When will you be happy?: Well...I'm happy now. But I'll be satisfied enough to wear it down regularly when I'm a couple inches past classic and have been trimming for a little while. I do have some past damage that isn't very visible to the average viewer, but that I can feel when I touch my hair. Once that's gone, I'm sure I'll be quite satisfied. :)

natt i nord
October 19th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Vote: Somewhat

Hair Length: Midback

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: It's quite obivous I dyed my hair back in time; my lengths are destroyed and frizzy

When did you start feeling like that?: I always felt like that, but I never did anything against it before last September

How do you deal with it?: Patience, telling myself I can be glad I have what I have

Have things bettered?: Yes!

What is your stategie to improve its looks when down?: Be friendly, combing it every few hours carefully

When will you be happy? : As soon as my old chemical hairdye has grown out.

emeraldfaery
October 19th, 2009, 09:56 AM

I have a patch of "kinky", course hair at the back of my head and I hate how it sticks up. PLus, my hair isn't what I consider long and I feel weird about having it down.

When did you start feeling like that?: When I cut it in 2006

How do you deal with it?: Put it up and try to forget about the frizzies or overdose on moisture.

Have things bettered?: Going back to cones helped a lot and I'm willing to use them if it helps my self-esteem.

Wearing just the front part back helps cover the patch of bad hair.

When will you be happy? : When my hair is long again and I figure out what is causing my hair to frizz.

halo_tightens
October 19th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Hair Length: Between shoulder and APL.

Goal Hair Length: BSL first, then waist, and then I'll re-evaluate.

It's just not long enough yet! Most people here in Real Life know that I've decided to grow my hair, and I just don't have enough to show for it yet. But you know, it's really probably more of an issue with updos than wearing hair down, for me. There are SO many updos that I want to do and can't, and still won't be able to for a few years to come. That's frustrating.

When did you start feeling like that?: The moment I realized I wanted to grow my hair long again!

How do you deal with it?: It seems to be a matter of patience. Some days I'm fine with it, while other days I get seriously annoyed with the waiting.

Have things bettered?: Oh yes, quite a bit-- my hair actually hangs down onto my back now, lol. Things will only continue to improve with time.

There's not a lot I can do for this particular problem! I can handle the color and texture of my hair; it's just more length that I'm after.

I think BSL will be when I really start to relax about it. But heck, even now at not-quite-APL I feel a lot better than I did back above shoulders. I'm not exactly miserable about it or anything. :)

pinkbunny
October 19th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Hair Length: Almost to my knees

Goal Hair Length: Until I can't manage it

I voted "no insecurities", but I am very concientious about wearing it down. I have to be in the right frame of mind because I know I will get comments (even good ones can get annoying when it's always the same). I don't wear my hair down for job interviews, in case they are hair-haters...I also still have a bit of a fading pink streak in the back. Can't wear it down on windy or dry (static-y) days or it just turns into a rat's nest!

When did you start feeling like that?: Once it reached my waist I noticed it drew a lot more attention.

How do you deal with it?: I plan for it - as long as the weather/circumstances permit, but I will pack a ponytail band & giant clip in my purse "just in case"

Have things bettered?: I love wearing my hair down now that it's long. The only downside is that it gets in the way or catches on stuff depending on what I'm doing.

What is your stategie to improve its looks when down?: I keep my ends trimmed & do everything I can to keep it healthy. I also have a back-up (updo) plan in case wearing it down doesn't work out.

When will you be happy? : I'm fairly happy now, but extra length & thickness wouldn't make me mad...

Zéphine
October 19th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Hair Length: Waist-length, or a bit past.

Goal Hair Length: Knee, but I have doubts about whether I'll get there.

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: In the past it's been tangles and thin ends; I don't really feel insecure at the moment, just a little self-conscious about looking "different".

When did you start feeling like that?: A few years ago.

How do you deal with it?: Put it up...

Have things bettered?: Yeah, my hair looks way better down than it used to. I'm fine with it, it's just sometimes I feel like fitting in. Not that my updos help with that.

What is your strategy to improve its looks when down?: I take better care of my hair (fewer washings, diluting my shampoo, not brushing, wearing it up more) and do a dusting every three months or so.

When will you be happy? : I am happy, for the most part. I'll be happier when I'm more comfortable in my own skin.

enfys
October 19th, 2009, 12:27 PM
It's not because of insecurities I don't wear it down, it's because of fear. I'm not too keen on the dangers of loose long hair.

Ryanne
October 19th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Vote: Somewhat.

Hair Length: Little past waist.

Goal Hair Length: Tailbone, maybe classic.

Tangles, fluffiness and frizz. It getting caught, I'm especially paranoid at school.

When did you start feeling like that?: Once I started high school.

How do you deal with it?: Putting it up, braiding it.

Have things bettered?: I suppose. Less tangles, less frizz, that is, until it's been down again.

No touching it. Ever.

I already am. I never planned to wear it down much.

LittleOrca
October 19th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Hair Length: Tailbone

Goal Hair Length: Floor

The tapered ends tend to not flow as well as the rest of my hair, in my view, and I always feel that when people see my hair down they will think my ends are horrible and harass me about cutting them.

When did you start feeling like that?: When I joined LHC and noticed I had really mistreated my hair before hand.

How do you deal with it?: I put it up in a bun or braid it to ignore it for the time being. That way I do not freak out over needing more length to fill in the ends and blunt it.

Have things bettered?: They are a little better, but I am still self conscious about the ends from time to time.

I wear it down a few days after wash day when there is a little oil in it and it' has relaxed. I LOVE my waves, but they tend to add to the separation at my ends and I don't always show off my hair when it has just been washed.

When my ends are thicker without me having to cut off a whole ton to make it look that way... so in a few years.

Fethenwen
October 19th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I'm really surprised so many feel insecure about wearing their hair down.

I'm somewhat :shrug:

Hair Length: Almost APL

Goal Hair Length: At least waist

My hair has short layers which might look a bit funny sometimes if I don't "bend" them right.
I also think sometimes that long hair enhances some facial features on me that I don't like, sometimes I think it does the opposite :p It depends a lot on what mood I'm in and where I'm going.

When did you start feeling like that?: Uuum, many years ago. But lately it has been improving a lot now that my hair is starting to grow long again. I'm wearing it down more often. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that my hair looks quite awesome now opposed to what it looked like before I joined LHC.

How do you deal with it?: I grow my hair longer :) The longer it gets the more I want to wear it down.
I also style it more now, never with heat though. I sport braid waves.

Have things bettered?: A lot! My sweetheart also encourages me to keep my hair down a lot, he really likes it long <3

Other than what I mentioned, I try to keep it in as good condition as possible too. If it looks fantastic, I wear it down. Especially after an SMT or some other treatment.

When will you be happy? : I'm quite happy with it as it is now, but I will be more so when I reach APL. After that it's all down hill :cloud9:

Nocturnal
October 19th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I haven't voted. I feel insecure wearing hair down in a professional set up when my hair is past waist, don't want to be judged as unprofessional.

Shermie Girl
October 19th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I am not insecure about wearing my hair down. On the rare occasion I feel like having it down, it is down. Even tho I am not happy with how it looks, at present. I just like it up. Always have. :D

Gingevere
October 19th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I voted 'no insecurities' because I actually feel more insecure when I wear my hair up. So I changed the questions a little bit to fit my dilemma.

Hair Length: Between BSL and waist.

Goal Hair Length: Waist or tailbone... not quite sure yet.

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair up?: I feel more secure with my hair down because I know it looks good. My updos tend to be sloppy and weird because I'm not very talented when it comes to hairstyling, so I'm always fiddling with my bun and wondering if it looks okay. Also, I like to hide behind my hair in classes when I'm tired or having a bad day.

When did you start feeling like that?: I've felt like this since I started wearing my hair in buns more often. Before that, my upstyle repertoire was limited to plain old ponytails and ponytails where you pull the tail half through to make a sort-of bun.

How do you deal with it?: I wear my hair down more often than I probably should. But when I wear it up, I try to resist the urge to play around with it and just focus on the task at hand.

Have things bettered?: A bit, as I've gotten better at making simple cinnabuns and figure-eights.

What is your stategy to improve its looks when up?: I'm practicing my bun-making skills by trying to wear my hair up as much as possible. Making progress, slowly but surely. I've also fallen in love with 3" Amish pins, which work like a dream. I don't have to fidget and play with my hair, trying to keep it up all day.

When will you be happy?: When I get really good at making updos that are secure and look nice. :)

Armelle
October 19th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I was about to clicky 'No Insecurities' but Blue Cheese has always given the the heebie jeebies.

Goal Hair Length: Wherever

The only reason is that it is in danger of being rubbed apart...or rubbed into dreds...from my office chair.

When did you start feeling like that?: a week ago, maybe two.

How do you deal with it?:I knot it up. Yeah, seems kinda 'epic fail' to me too.

Have things bettered?: not applicable

I brush it sometimes. In Soviet Russia, HAIR brushes YOU!

When will you be happy? : Perhaps only after drinking...oh wait, we're talking about hair aren't we. Perhaps then too...my hair is only happy when it's drinking!

:D

Naters
October 19th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Hair Length: a little under the shoulders

My hair is nowhere near the length that i want it to be, and whenever its down it just bugs me, so i feel like putting my hair up for the growing process will get my mind off it.

When did you start feeling like that?: every since it became long enough to put in a bun

How do you deal with it?: Put it up everyday in a bun, until it gets long.

Have things bettered?: yes

What is your stategie to improve its looks when down?: think of the postive aspects.

When will you be happy? : once im at my goal length:cheese:

Eniratak
October 19th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Goal Hair Length: Lower thigh, maybe knee length.

Actually, to be honest, I have more insecurities about wearing my hair up than wearing it down. However, if I had to pick any insecurities, it would be because people at school talk bad about my hair. How it looks odd being so long, or how I should cut it all off because I'd look better, etc.
But mainly, I'm more insecure about wearing it up.

When did you start feeling like that?: When I first got into church, I would suppose. Like I said, I'm more insecure about my hair being up, but when it was down, they'd point out things that was 'wrong' with it. (I later left the church for reasons that are my own, so I don't have to deal with it anymore.)

How do you deal with it?: I wash it when I need to and try and take care of my hair to the best of my ability. I'm more worried about what other people say than what I say myself, so I usually try not to listen to them.

Have things bettered?: In wearing my hair down; yes. In wearing my hair up; not at all.

I don't really think I have one to be honest. Most of the time, when I wear it down (which is often), I just get out of bed, run a comb through it, put in some gel and go. XD.

When will you be happy?: When my hair is longer, I believe. And when people stop joking around about how long my hair is.

Roseate
October 19th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Hair Length: APL

Goal Hair Length: @waist. We'll see when I get there.

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: It's not so much "insecure" as it is that I just like some lengths down much better than others on me. Around chin-shoulder was OK, shoulder-APL I wore it up almost every day, now I'm starting to like it down more again.

When did you start feeling like that?: See above. It comes and goes.

How do you deal with it?: Wait! I love updos, and they're more practical for work anyway, so I don't mind wearing it up in the meantime.

Have things bettered?: Yes, though I remember near waist there were more technical problems wearing it down. As in, my hair would try to take over the world.

What is your stategie to improve its looks when down?: Just keep taking care of it, and taking a look at it down every now and then to see if it's grown to a length I like.

When will you be happy?: I'm pretty happy now!;)

jasper
October 19th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I voted somewhat because I originally started wearing a cinnamon bun to work because I thought my hair looked bad/ unprofessional loose. I needed a hair cut or style or something, but didn't want to do that, so I put it up,

But I started liking updos and hair toys so much, and I really prefer keeping my hair out of the way now, so I don't think it's about insecurity now.

hennaphile
October 19th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Hair Length: Almost Classic

Goal Hair Length: fingertip-knee... we'll see :)

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: Massive hairloss left my hair very thin for about 2/3 of the length. Also, it tangles like it's nobody's business (unlike when it was thicker) so it's hard to wear it down without looking messy.

When did you start feeling like that?: Last year, when the shedding was BAD

How do you deal with it?: I make it wavy to make it look fuller and behave better. Wear it up sometimes, take good care of it, etc

Have things bettered?: A bit

wearing black shirts to hide the "see through" aspect, use camellia oil for leave on, take good care of it, and make it waaavey :)

When I regain my thickness. I can hold out until it gets longer, but I really want my thickness back, and that automatically takes care of the tangly aspect.

JCFantasy23
October 20th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I picked no insecurities. I don't have a ton of thick hair but it does have body when it's brushed. I'm not happy with the ends but still like it down sometimes.

RoseRedDead
October 20th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Hair Length:
Approximately waist. :cheese:

Goal Hair Length:
Classic length or fingertip length, whatever I'm happy with.

It's too short (looks very abrupt as I am tall), it's too limp, it's too tangly, it frizzes...

I think I've always felt like that.

I wear it up! I think largely it's just a mental issue...

Have things bettered?:
Hm, yes. Now that it's about waist-length, I think it looks better aesthetically.

Taking better care of my hair, trimming at regular intervals to keep the hemline pretty thick.

When my hair is magically tangle-free and doesn't frizz or anything. :rolleyes:

Overall:
I'm not INCREDIBLY self-conscious, but part of me wishes to be the one who gets the "Wow, you have amazing hair!" comments, and I'm not, so I start to wonder if there's something wrong with my hair. :( It's probably just a mental block - I'll have to get over it.

I voted that I was somewhat insecure.

Erin1152
October 20th, 2009, 01:04 PM
It's weird to know that so many people have these insecurities. I wish we could all just love our hair..

Hair Length: About 3" from waist

Goal Hair Length: Hip (this has changed from wanting bsl.. to waist.. now to hip! Will I ever be satisfied?)

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: Because my hair circumference is 3" and I feel it is thinner than I would like. I hate that when I turn to the side there isn't any 'depth' to my hair. It's just flat.. I also don't think my length right now is anything special. It's just.. blah.

When did you start feeling like that?: When I wear it down. I love my shininess and color, but I don't think the length adds anything.

How do you deal with it?: I put it up and try to just let it grow.

Have things bettered?: Better since going from apl to below bsl, but still not what I want.

What is your stategy to improve its looks when down?: A SMT really adds shine, then a dash of jojoba oil.

When will you be happy?: When I grow about 6 more inches!

MAO
October 20th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Hair Length: Bottom of neck/not quite shoulder length

Goal Hair Length: At least BSL-hopefully waist someday

I have a bad haircut with too many layers and the day after washing they look messy and don't behave (wurly). So I usually tie my hair up in ponytail, but it still doesn't look that great because I have layers that aren't long enough to be included in the pony and the layers tend to fall down like a curtain on my neck.

When did you start feeling like that?: June of this year.

How do you deal with it?: I try really hard to ignore it. I don't want to cut my hair again until I get it past shoulder.

Have things bettered?: A little bit....I noticed that not as many hairs are falling down out of my ponytail. YAY

I only wear it down on wash day or when I'm at home.

When my shortest layer is at shoulder length! Then I won't have giant poof on the side of my head....

Sissy
October 20th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I have no insecurities with wearing my hair down. Actually, it's the opposite for me... I have insecurities about wearing my hair UP!

Rebelkat
October 20th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Voted: Somewhat

Hair Length: Hip-length

Goal Hair Length: Knee-length

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: I've lost significant amounts of hair within the past couple of years because of poor health. I've lost an inch or more in ponytail circumference and have developed a dramatic taper because of the amount of hair lost.

When did you start feeling like that?: I was somewhat disappointed with my hair after my dramatic post-surgery shed but was still confident enough to wear it down. At the beginning of the year, I had another massive shed and at that point I became embarrassed to wear it down except for every once and a while.

How do you deal with it?: I wear my hair up a lot and just try to let it grow. I have been doing micro-trims every month and took four inches off towards the end of August to thicken things up again. I've changed my mini-goal from growing to the next length to just tidying things up until I feel more confident. I also look back and remember that my hair used to be thick to encourage myself that it can be again.

Have things bettered?: Yes. I can tell that a lot of the hair I've lost is growing back and the ends do look thicker because of the frequent trims. Also, my hair is much shinier and softer because I switched to CO, so I'm feeling better about the texture. Hey, at least if my hair isn't at its thickest, it's at its healthiest.

What is your strategy to improve its looks when down?: I mist my hair after combing it and scrunch to revive the waves because I really enjoy them. I also try to wear dark colored clothes because they make the thickness I have look thicker.

When will you be happy?: I think when I see the bulk of thickness move down from just above BSL to waist it will make me VERY happy. Of course, I will be happiest when it catches up to the rest of my hair, but one thing at a time. ;)

burns_erin
October 21st, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hair Length: Mid to upper-lower back

I don't really, though I am a bit insecure about blue cheese. The main reason I don't wear my hair down is so that I do not get cerumen in it or get it caught in a grinder or bufing wheel.

Since grad school in 2004

How do you deal with it?: I wear it up most of the time at work and just enjoy the shock when I do take it down.

Have things bettered?: If I look at my schedule really arefully now sometimes I can wear it down for part of the day.

I make sure to never wear it down the first day after being washed, or the last day before washing.

When my hair is long enough I can feel comfortable cutting out some of the ayers (Do not know if that will be at or before goal).

Fiferstone
October 23rd, 2009, 05:14 AM
Hair Length: Almost hip

Goal Hair Length: classic (or terminal, whichever comes first)

My hemline's thin, and I have fine hair, so it tangles easily

When did you start feeling like that?: I've always felt this way for as long as I've had waist-length hair

How do you deal with it?: I've become more mindful about not putting my hair in ponytails all the time, and I've been wearing it up most days. I've also started self-trimming more regularly.

Have things bettered?: Yes, I think overall my hair is in better condition in part because I'm trying to take better care of it and protect it more.

I hope that the hemline will improve as I make more regular trims, while not slicing too much off at a time. I've pretty much made peace with the fact that my hair simply looks better to me in an updo, than down..

When I have a nice even hemline :cheese:

nowxisxforever
October 23rd, 2009, 05:42 AM
I wear my hair down periodically at work, and while I'm not satisfied with my hair's condition, I'm not self-conscious about it, nope.

Part of that is that people tell me how pretty or gorgeous my hair is all the time, and I know we're all our worst critics. I may think it looks like crap, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it *does*.

justme
October 24th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Hair Length: Just past classic (cut back from almost knee).

Goal Hair Length: Ankle once and either stay there or trim to knee.

The thinness.

When did you start feeling like that?: Probably when I hit classic the first time.

How do you deal with it?: I didn't deal with it, I just ignored it and/or wore it up most of the time.

Have things bettered?: Yes because I cut off all the uneven ends into blunter ends.

What is your strategy to improve its looks when down?: It looks best when wavy and not straight because the thinness shows more when lank and straight.

When will you be happy? : I'm pretty happy now, but I'd love to get my former thickness back as well as reach my goal length with blunt ends. It'd be very nice to be able to wear it down brushed and mostly straight and to have it be thick enough that it's not see-through. I'm not sure my hair genes will do that, though, so I'll be happy with the above wavy.

23_seconds
October 24th, 2009, 04:19 PM
||||||||||

Brenda714
October 24th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Is the wearing your hair up for a year still going on? I plan on wearing my hair up, cause a lot of short layers were cut in it recently and cannot stand the way it look so thin now. So I french braid the top and put in a phony pony to give it some thickness. I just need some encouragement from other ladies that wear it up while it grows. Ihave short bangs too that drive me mad too. ugh!

winter_star
October 25th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Hair length: Almost hip length

No insecurities whats so ever when it's down. Its a rare occasion you could find my hair up. I actually feel more insecure when my hair is up.

Centifolia
October 25th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Hair Length: Little past BSL

Goal Hair Length: Tailbone

My hair is heavy layered, my longest lenghts are very thin.

When did you start feeling like that?: March 2007, when I cutted my hair like mad with stupid non sense short layers, because I was really unhappy. Then I started flatironing my hair, using hairspray to hide the cut and that just made that worse. I went through health problems and it was becoming more and more awful.

How do you deal with it?: I try to have patience. I take a supplement, I trim the little I can once a while. I wait. I plan the days I wear my hair down.

Have things bettered?: Yes. As my layers are growing I am rediscovering the thickness and natural beauty of my hair.

I just wear my hair down when it is fresh washed and with colors that really match with its.

When I have healthy hair at least until BSL, without layers, when I feel I have lots of hair.

ChloeDharma
October 25th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Hair Length: Nearly waist i think, not sure as i avoid looking in the mirror with it down.

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: It's so thin, the thickness tapers, my ends are see through and though i really do get the "i'm not here to decorate your world" attitude i still feel that people might look at it and be going "OMG check out the tragic hair....i'd cut it if mine looked that bad!" behind my back.

When did you start feeling like that?: This time i'd say late 2006-ish i was loosing hair from my diabetes going haywire but didn't realise that was the reason at the time, then into mid 2007 the hairloss got extreeme.
Before that i'd say 2002-ish, i was growing out a very short cut, ruined my hair with extensions and chemical colouring for a couple of years so kept my hair up to conceal how damaged it was.

How do you deal with it?: I just wear it up....i convince myself that it will change, that as i have had a respectable thickness before i can again, just need to be patient.

Have things bettered?: At points they have, but stupid things like being ill, or anorexia send me back to square one.

What is your strategy to improve its looks when down?: Scalp massage including scalp oiling with various oils and herb extracts, some ayurvedic based, some aromatherapy. Taking supplements, that is, getting to the point where i remember to take them consistantly. Better diet.....or at least actually eating. Basically focusing on trying to get healthy and give my hair a chance to grow

When will you be happy? : I doubt i ever could be with things the way they are, so i'm focusing on learning to love and accept what i have and be happy with that rather than depend on my hair looking a certain way before i can be happy with it.
In my hairs defence my hair feels lovely and silky and can have a beautiful shine.

ashimajoy
October 25th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I just hate being hot. Oh man, I hate hate hate it! But when it's cold out, I'll wear mine down.

Liat
October 25th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I voted 'somewhat insecure'.

Hair Length: Just past BSL.

Goal Hair Length: Somewhere between waist and hip, with a thick hemline.

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: My natural texture isn't very flattering on me. It's difficult to get any volume into the roots, and my length tends to look thin, flat and unkempt when I just let them do their thing. Also, I'm growing out bangs around my face and they're currently the stringy string monsters from hell.

When did you start feeling like that?: For as long as I can remember, I've felt that my natural hair texture isn't 'nice'.

How do you deal with it?: I keep my hair in the best condition possible, which really helps the way I feel about it. Even on days when it looks scraggly, I can run my fingers through it and love how healthy it feels. Also, it looks fuller when it's well moisturised.

Have things bettered?: Yes, very much, recently. It was a matter of learning how my hair needs to be treated.

What is your strategy to improve its looks when down?: The best thing I've done for my hair's appearance is sleep in soft foam curlers most nights. This gives me big, loose waves and curls that look more like a 2C/3A texture than my natural 1C. It's much more flattering on me, and I really do love my hair on a good curly day.

When will you be happy?: I'm quite happy now, but I think I'll be entirely content with my hair when all of the layers have grown out, especially around my face, and I've gained back the thickness I lost through a combination of extensions and poor health last year.

Upside Down
November 1st, 2009, 06:12 AM
I have to say, I can not believe how many people have insecurities about wearing hair down. I think you all have amazing hair! Most of them are faaar more beautiful then mine. Maybe the insecurities come with growth?

Still, try to enjoy your hair more.

As for me, I love wearing it down, far more than up. I know that when it is clean and curly and down that it looks amazing. I love the feeling of hair brushing against my back. I really love my hair. I only wear it up for practical reasons.

And it is only APL :)

Ok, my ego-trip and I are now checking out :)

mira-chan
November 2nd, 2009, 07:01 AM
"No insecurity"

Hair Length: Mid thigh/ just past fingertip

Goal Hair Length: No true goal. Maybe knee if I really try to care.

Not really insecure about it. I just don't like to wear it down. I do have a huge taper but I don't mind it. It's more convenient up.

When did you start feeling like that?: N/A

How do you deal with it?: Nothing to deal with other than putting it up and getting it out of my face. :D

Have things bettered?:N/A

If I cared I'd probably trim more but my dislike of trimming is stronger than any wish I have to get thicker ends.

I'm fine with my hair now. I do get the odd grumbly time when I get that one minute wish to have thicker ends. Usually it's more a curiosity of how it would look like with thicker ends at this length. Generally I like my hair just fine as is. Thus, I'd say I'm happy with it now.

dukkelisa
November 2nd, 2009, 08:26 AM
I don't feel insecure about wearing my hair down, but I don't like to do so, it gets in the way and it gets messy looking quick. It's funny, but I have always disliked hair on my neck.

mechanolatry
November 4th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Hair Length: Currently BSL

Goal Hair Length: to the waist and beyond

The damage. But it's a weird, particular kind of damage. The hair shafts are scaly and those scales 'stick out' of my hair. Because of this my hair never sticks together. Even without any split-ends, it looks like a frizzy damaged mess. =(

When did you start feeling like that?: forever it seems

How do you deal with it?: Well, I finally figured the problem out. My hair hates something in my water. I can negate the damage by adding a little baking soda to the water I rinse with.

Have things bettered?: Oh yes! Hair recovery, here I come!

What is your strategy to improve its looks when down?: uh.. so far nothing works. If I manage to make it look nice with aloe vera gel and EVOO, all it takes is a few minutes of moving around for it to frizz up into a cloud of unhappiness. I'm working on it though. Trying to come up with a good misting recipe that my hair likes.

Lissa
November 7th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Hair Length: Hip

Goal Hair Length: Hmm, not much longer than this, I think.

I don't usually, but sometimes. Mainly because I'm not entirely sure if it looks good all the time, I feel like there's less "tolerance" for not having well-kept hair when it's long. I don't people to think I have too long hair and can't take care of it.

When did you start feeling like that?: Oh, I don't know, probably some time in between waist and hip length.

How do you deal with it?: I try to treat it well so that it looks good, and wear it up when it doesn't.

Have things bettered?: Well, my hair has a fair amount of split ends these days, so I'm thinking of getting a trim, but I suppose my hair generally looks better down now that I'm more aware of taking care of it.

Having a trim, S&D'ing, generally treating my hair better, using hair oil more often.

When will you be happy? : Whenever I feel like it looks good, and is full and healthy.

hennared
November 9th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Unfortunately... I had to answer 'very insecure'

Hair Length: about 18" from the crown

Goal Hair Length: about waist

Because my hair is entirely see through, due to losing over 40% of my hair diffusely in ~19 months.

When did you start feeling like that? Starting about June 2008, about 3 months after the huge shedding began, I was mildly concerned.. got much worse this July, since the loss has become worse and more noticeable.

How do you deal with it?: I struggle with coping with the change in my hair. I've tried many nutritional supplements, goen to doctors, etc. to find if there is a cause for my hair loss that I can approach. That's not been working.. so I try to find ways to wear my hair that are not as upsetting to me (wearing it all up, wearing scarves, enhancing my natural waves... )

Have things bettered?: No.

Hah! I'm working on that!

If my hair recovered half of what I've lost, I'd be estatic. Failing that, I'm really not sure.. having my remaining hair be healthy looking again would sure help, though! The texture has gone South, too.

TheEndlessOcean
November 10th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I voted sometimes.

Hair Length: About APL curly, midback pulled straight.

Goal Hair Length: About waist curly.

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: I mainly feel insecure on what I perceive to be bad hair days. Overall I like my hair a lot, but if it's overly big or dry or just looking weird then I don't like wearing it down.

When did you start feeling like that?: Probably a bit after finding LHC and learning what good hair looks like :p

How do you deal with it?: Basically I just "plan" on wearing my hair down every day (though if I do I have hair ties with me in case I need it out of the way), but if I'm not happy with it that day I'll just put it in a ponytail before going out. I've also learned a ton about my hair and am always getting better at making my hair look good on any given day.

Have things bettered?: Yes, I feel more confident wearing it down more often now that it's in better condition and better taken care of.

When I sleep at night I put my hair in a ponytail on the top of my head, which both makes my ends hold their curl and not get all messy, and also straightens out the first few inches of my hair somewhat, which is awesome. I love having curly hair, but I don't like it when it's curly on top and goes straight out for the first few inches. I also get my hair slightly damp and put a tiny bit of jojoba oil on it before I go to bed, which makes it very nice and moisturized the next day. Next time I wash I'm also going to try braiding my hair when it's wet to see if I can't turn my hair wavy that way (since I finally learned how to do a decent braid :cheese:)

When I've figured out to eliminate bad hair days, haha. Honestly though, I'm quite happy now, but I'm looking forward to it getting a lot longer, and growing out the broken hairs from when I didn't take very good care of my hair.

pepperminttea
November 10th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I picked some insecurities.

Hair Length: Between BSL and waist

Goal Hair Length: Tailbone, maybe classic.

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: I worry about damage; I have an inch or two I should trim off but I'm putting it off, so I'm babying my ends a bit by hiding them. But the main reason is my oily scalp; I have a spot that gets oily quicker than the rest of my scalp, right at the front, around my parting. It emerges after a day or so from washing, while the rest of it can go another day or two depending on how I wear it and whatnot. And with winter round the corner, the static drives me to distraction.

When did you start feeling like that?: With the oily thing, for as long as I can remember, though pre-long hair comms, my response was limited to ponytails. With the damage, for the past few years I've been on long hair comms.

How do you deal with it?: Updos, updos and more updos. I love wearing my hair down; I look forward to it, and plan days like the OP does. I find I'll time washes with days when I want to feel at my best; I always have a bit of a spring in my step if I know my hair looks good (up or down). And I know that by wearing it the way I do, it's better for it, so there's some respite.

Have things bettered?: Detangling is so much easier post-updos. I do not miss detangling every evening.

What is your strategy to improve its looks when down?: Always freshly washed. Generally now I put it up in a quick bun on my way to somewhere, then discreetly let it down when I get inside (very helpful on windy days).

When will you be happy?: Knowing me, never. :p

noelgirl
November 11th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I voted that I'm insecure about blue cheese, although it really makes me more queasy than insecure :p Anyway, I used to wear it up all the time because I was insecure about frizz and splits. Since I've been on LHC, those problems have been greatly reduced, so I'm prouder of my hair and I've been wearing it down more. Still not much, since I do take public transit and this is not conducive to wearing hair down safely, and I also wear it up for ballet and work (sometimes I just do half-ups for work). But I've gone from never wearing it down to sometimes wearing it down.

BlackfootHair
November 11th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Hair Length: Below shoulder

Goal Hair Length: Waist, although I may grow longer after that.

I don't feel insecure about wearing it down, I feel annoyed. It's at a length were it gets everywhere and doesn't stay behind my shoulders. Mainly I wear it up all the time because it is in the way, but on days I don't have to do anything, I enjoy it.

When did you start feeling like that?: I suppose when it grew out longer than being able to just tuck it behind my ears.

How do you deal with it?: I usually just twist it up in a clip and go. Rarely do I put it in pony tail unless I have a headache from the weight of wet hair on one spot on my head. Then I'll take it down and wear a low pony if I'm working. I remember how it's like to not be able to put my hair in a clip, so I'm really happy now!

Have things bettered?: Yes. My hair was very damaged before, and now it's healthy again. All the bleach disaster is gone. If I would have never bleached, my hair would have been at my waist no doubt!

OIL OIL OIL! I use DVCO, or some other oil. Or, I slather in a bunch of coney leave-in. My curls will dry mostly frizz free.

When my hair is all one length, waist length, and thick! It's thick now, I just hope it stays thick!

DMARTINEZ
November 12th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Im very insecure. I feel like it drags my face down,and just isnt flattering at all. Plus,I love
to wear it up. I hate hair around my face,or at least long hair around it....

Deb

Kat
November 12th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Hair Length: Knee

Goal Hair Length: Terminal--I think I'm there

My hair is quite dry and damaged, and tangles easily. Doesn't matter how nice I am to it...it still happens. I can brush it so it looks nice, and five minutes later it looks ratty.

When did you start feeling like that?: Have been for years, I guess.

I don't wear it down. However, wearing it down drives me nuts anyway because it gets in the way, so I probably wouldnt' wear it down much anyway.

Have things bettered?:
No. I used to spend a lot of time babying it, per stuff I'd read here...I quickly realize it makes no difference if I'm nice to it or not, so I stopped wasting my time and money.

I don't have one. :(

Probably never--I don't think it's possible for my hair to be healthy. I think my hair just will get damaged when it gets to a certain age/length, no matter what I do. I should cut it to a length that will let me maintain it in a healthy manner, but I have a feeling that'd be rather short (if I got BSL I'd probably be lucky).

Amber_Maiden
December 22nd, 2011, 12:50 PM
Hair Length: Past Waist

Goal Hair Length: TBL

Damaged ends, growing out henna, perverts, it getting damaged while down.

When did you start feeling like that?: 2008, when a guy sniffed my hip length hair on the metro.

How do you deal with it?: I'm paranoid in public, so I tuck it under my hood or only wear it down when my husband is with me.

Have things bettered?: Not sure- By wearing my hair up so much I find it sheds more.

Combing it out and flipping it over my shoulder so it's in front of me, where I can see it.

When I've grown out all the henna damage and I'm at TBL!

allnight avenue
December 22nd, 2011, 05:52 PM
Ahh, zombie thread! But this is a fun one to be resurrected, anyway.

Goal Hair Length: Waist

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: Some days I feel like it is really damaged and not worth showing off, or wavy in un-pretty ways. Some days it doesn't feel long enough to bother showing off, too.

When did you start feeling like that?: Only recently...seems like the longer it gets, the shorter it feels.

I only wear it down on days when I know it looks good. Otherwise, up and away it goes. Win-win situation.

Have things bettered?:
No? I'm not too worried though.

Oil, planning with bun or braid waves

When will you be happy? : When it's waist length and I can put it in beautiful sock curls.

white.chocolate
December 23rd, 2011, 06:45 AM
Well... I accidentally clicked on the wrong option. I usually don't have insecurities. A couple of flyaways can be the main irritating factor though. I just don't wear my hair down much anymore because its length leads to inconvenience when I'm moving around, and I'm also afraid of it getting caught on various objects and people around me.

StormVixen
December 23rd, 2011, 06:56 AM
Hair Length: About Waist curled up, about Hip pulled straight

Goal Hair Length: Hip length curls with a deep V longer.

I don't, I feel more insecure when its up because i feel like a big part of me is missing i guess...

When did you start feeling like that?: no idea

I wear it down most of the time... or in an updo which still kinda covers my head with curls... its not very often i do a smooth bun or braid these days.

Have things battered?: kinda, If i have battered fish or something I usually take the batter off and just eat the fish... tempura I like tho...

making sure there's enough of "product" or oil to keep it from floofing out too much and matting up...

when, if ever, i reach my goal length...

intothemist1999
December 23rd, 2011, 07:26 AM
Hair Length: waist

Goal Hair Length: it's been back & forth between waist and TB

My hair tends to look a bit scraggly. Like last night, left the house for a dinner out thinking it would look good, but when I got home I realized it probably looked rather lousy.

When did you start feeling like that?: since it's got long enough for me to know that I won't have my "dream hair", and some time ago realizing there is a slight kink/wave/whatever to my hair which means it's never nice 'n smooth.

How do you deal with it?: At work I wear it up, and have to anyway for regulation. I don't interact with staff much (we work on different schedules), but I've heard that some of them can be a catty bunch -- don't need that agro.

As for at home or around friends, I know that if I do a CWC using coconut milk as the first C, my hair looks so much better (didn't do that last wash, which may account for my hair not looking so good last night), and ESPECIALLY when I follow with a diluted lemon juice rinse -- both help to enhance and separate the curls and make my hair look more "tousled" than scruffy.

Have things bettered?: they have bettered in the sense that now that I have it shorter I'm more comfortable with it being down in public, but more so because I'm more accepting of it. I was wearing it down only at home, but since trimming to waist I'm wearing it down more when with friends (a longhair-friendly crowd), when out, and in a pony when out, alot more often.

What is your stategie to improve its looks when down?:see above :D

When will you be happy?
when it looks good ALL the time...which ain't gonna happen ;) However, I LIKE it long, and in particular, for *me*.

Ki
December 24th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Somewhat. My hair's shoulder length, layered. I'm not great at styling it and if I do wear it down sometimes I worry it might look a bit unkempt. On the other hand sometimes I feel better with it down and more comfortable. Suppose that's the difference between a "good/ bad hair day" ! :)

CherrySilver
December 24th, 2011, 05:11 PM
How I voted: The thought of blue cheese absolutely makes my skin crawl.

Hair Length: Grazing upper knee

Goal Hair Length: A bit longer -- maybe calf or till I sick of it.

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: Getting tangles.

When did you start feeling like that?: After my hair hit about classic and started tangling more easily when down.

How do you deal with it?: Wear it up or carefully comb it if it's been down.

Have things bettered?: Only if I wear it up.

What is your strategy to improve its looks when down?: Wear something hot and sexy to go with the long flowing hair.

When will you be happy?: My hair is always happy, Me, on the other hand, mostly happy 'cept for when I'm feeling crappy.

battles
December 24th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Hair Length:
Upper back

Goal Hair Length:
Somewhere between tailbone to mid-thigh.

Hair isn't long enough for me to want to wear it down yet. It's also really dry and tangled most of the time.

When did you start feeling like that?: Since it was long enough to put up.

I need to do more deep treatments. Gah! I never feel like I have the time, or I can't figure out something that works well for me.

Have things bettered?: The dryness and tangles are so much worse because of winter. Length is improving, of course.

Lightly oil after showering.

When will you be happy? : When I've reached at least waist, and solved the dryness issue.

Garnetgem
January 27th, 2016, 02:05 AM
I am regrowing my hair so its in that awkward stage of different lengths so it can get messy if let down,i tend to tie it back to hide any untidiness...

parkmikii
January 28th, 2016, 02:36 AM
No insecurities, however I used to feel a bit insecure with having hair up, but I got used to that as well since I've been wearing it up for 6 months now.

gregh
January 28th, 2016, 03:18 PM
Don't war it down much but not because I don't like it looks good. it's more that I like how it looks back better and between needing to have it back for work to look professional and wearing it back for preference most often outside of work I have a hard time dealing with it loose. I get sick of having to brush it back out of my face and out of the way with some frequency and get kind of self conscious about that. So in the end that leads to a ponytail: out of my face, looks better on me in my opinion, and it still looks long (though not from the front) and moves around a bit. My hair is a little shorter than APL so maybe when its longer it will stay out of the way better on its own and I'll wear it loose more.

Sarah08
January 28th, 2016, 04:33 PM
Shoot! I misread the question and voted for the wrong one! But for me, it's more like I have insecurities about wearing it up, actually.

Wusel
March 20th, 2016, 03:53 AM
I sometimes have insecurities about wearing it down because I feel like it's too... revealing...? I don't know why i started to think so... It was different years ago and I used to wear my WL hair down all the time but... It attracts too much attention... especially from men and I don't feel comfortable then... I only wear it down (rarely) when my SO is with me but NEVER when I'm at work or alone somewhere in public... Very long hair is very sexy and very womanly and eye-catching and I don't feel comfortable when I'm too sexy in public.

Anya15
March 20th, 2016, 05:55 AM
I voted very.

Hair Length: BSL+

Goal Hair Length: Terminal-wherever that is! :)

My hairtype. I've had a few people comment negatively on my waves, and on other women with wavy hair. Just yesterday, this girl who stays on my dorm floor was talking about another girl on the same floor, who has lovely BCL 2a/2b hair, saying that she has horrible hair, it's not even straight, her waves don't look nice etc. My hair is nowhere near that length, but I've had a few negative comments about mine too. I love my hair texture (It was 1c/2a for eight months and I was wishing it would go back to wavy!), but I'm insecure about what others say about it.

When did you start feeling like that?: Always? There's an obsession with straight, sleek hair where I am...any special event comes up, everyone wants to straighten their hair.

How do you deal with it?: I...dunno. I personally love all kinds of hair on people.

Have things bettered?: No. The only time I wear it completely loose is on wash day.

Hmm...it's more of a mental insecurity. My hair is actually in good condition. Suggestions?

When people start realizing that straight hair is not the only thing in the world that looks good! :|

Angelica
March 20th, 2016, 05:55 AM
I would love to wear my hair loose. However it is so fine and thin, it wouldn't look anything loose and would just draw attention to the fact of its lack of thickness. In comparison to somebody in work who has very thick hair always worn loose, mine would look really pathetic. :(

Wusel
March 20th, 2016, 08:27 AM
My hairtype. I've had a few people comment negatively on my waves, and on other women with wavy hair. Just yesterday, this girl who stays on my dorm floor was talking about another girl on the same floor, who has lovely BCL 2a/2b hair, saying that she has horrible hair, it's not even straight, her waves don't look nice etc. My hair is nowhere near that length, but I've had a few negative comments about mine too.

WHAT??? Stupid people...

"not even straight"... ??? So, they think only straight hair is good hair? Don't listen to such stupid people...

Reminds me of a quote from the movie "Good Hair" with Chris Rock
"When your hair is relaxed, everybody is relaxed. When your hair is nappy they're not happy..."

I personally love curly-wurly-nappy-kinky... whatever NOT STRAIGHT hair.

YOU HAVE VERY NICE HAIR! (I've checked out your length shot) :cheer:

Groovy Granny
March 20th, 2016, 10:38 AM
NO insecurities at all.

I was a bit self conscious last year as a 64 year old with a half up/slides/barrettes etc....now....MEH :shrug:

*I* LOVE IT...and that is all that matters :crush:

There will always be someone who thinks I should 'curl up and dye' at my age..........................PPPPFFFTTTTT :wigtongue

fiðrildi
March 20th, 2016, 06:54 PM
Well said, GG! :flowers:

I used to feel insecure about wearing hair up (in a bun), but never about wearing it down!

Anya15
March 20th, 2016, 08:09 PM
WHAT??? Stupid people...

"not even straight"... ??? So, they think only straight hair is good hair? Don't listen to such stupid people...

Reminds me of a quote from the movie "Good Hair" with Chris Rock
"When your hair is relaxed, everybody is relaxed. When your hair is nappy they're not happy..."

I personally love curly-wurly-nappy-kinky... whatever NOT STRAIGHT hair.

YOU HAVE VERY NICE HAIR! (I've checked out your length shot) :cheer:

Thank you! :)
I like all kinds of hair. Every person I've seen on TLHC has gorgeous hair, whatever be their hair type. If we all had the same hair life would be so boring :(
But in my country people sort of have an obsession with straight, sleek hair. I have a friend with gorgeous,thick 3c curls, and I've heard people call her things that are hard to translate, but roughly mean "too much hair on one head" and "witch", on several occasions. :( People just love straight straight straight hair. Like I said, any special event = everyone will bring out blow dryers/flat irons.

Groovy Granny, you have lovely hair! I hope I can have hair like yours when I'm older too :)

Frankenstein
March 20th, 2016, 11:59 PM
I don't feel insecure so much about how I look with my hair down.. but now that I think about it, I do sometimes feel insecure about how my hair looks. Sometimes my waves turn out wonky or it looks frizzy, so those days I would prefer not to wear it down.

Wusel
March 21st, 2016, 03:18 AM
I like all kinds of hair. Every person I've seen on TLHC has gorgeous hair, whatever be their hair type. If we all had the same hair life would be so boring :(
But in my country people sort of have an obsession with straight, sleek hair. I have a friend with gorgeous,thick 3c curls, and I've heard people call her things that are hard to translate, but roughly mean "too much hair on one head" and "witch", on several occasions. :( People just love straight straight straight hair. Like I said, any special event = everyone will bring out blow dryers/flat irons.

It's interesting and sad at the same time. I didn't know that people in India feel like this about curly hair. I thought women in India have naturally straight hair because you never see curls in indian movies... The women there always have straight hair or slight waves... I thought this is the typical hair texture in India... I didn't know that there's so much flat ironing craziness. Thank you for the information. :) Learning never stops :flower:

Anya15
March 21st, 2016, 08:52 AM
It's interesting and sad at the same time. I didn't know that people in India feel like this about curly hair. I thought women in India have naturally straight hair because you never see curls in indian movies... The women there always have straight hair or slight waves... I thought this is the typical hair texture in India... I didn't know that there's so much flat ironing craziness. Thank you for the information. :) Learning never stops :flower:

Haha...What you see in movies is the result of a lot of heat styling + a ton of products. :P If you look at some of the older movies (1960s or earlier), they used less styling and make-up in those days so you can see the actresses' natural hair texture.

The dominant texture here is medium to coarse 2b and 2c. There are plenty of curly haired women too. Straight haired people aren't exactly a minority, but MOST are 1c/2a. Some could be 1b. 1a is extremely rare. Also, all of us have more or less the same hair color.

Among those who can afford it, flat ironing and blowdrying is definitely an obsession. When I was younger (middle school or so) I knew many girls my age who used to flat iron their hair for parties with a clothing iron. They'd place their hair on a flat surface, put a towel over it so that they don't fry their hair too much and then iron it.

Groovy Granny
March 21st, 2016, 09:16 AM
Well said, GG! :flowers:

Groovy Granny, you have lovely hair! I hope I can have hair like yours when I'm older too :)

Thank you ~ that's sweet of you to say :flowers:

How terrible people are so snarky about such personal things :(

Your hair is beautiful!

PPPPFFTTTT :p to them

IGNORE :lala: and enjoy your beauty!

Winterwitch
March 23rd, 2016, 02:30 AM
Hair Length:
Layered APL

Goal Hair Length:
blunt hem tailbone (maybe, maybe lightly layered)

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: I don't really feel insecure but I don't often wear it down for multiple reasons. Mainly, my hair has some shorter (a little past chin length) layers that fall into my face and annoy the crap out of me. Aside from that, I have been changing my hair cleaning methods lately and my hair is horribly oily most days, which looks good in a tight bun and nothing else.

Since almost a year ago exactly. I wanted to lighten my hair up a bit and thought my hair could handle it. Instead, inches and inches around my face on the right side just pretty much burned off. I cut layers on the left side to match it.

I guess I just don't. I routinely trim the dead ends off my hair which happen to always occur on the shorter layers. So while the longest strands of my hair continue to get longer, these layers are barely 3 inches longer than they were a year ago. The only way I deal is by tying ym hair back and pretending it doesn't exist, hahah.

Have things bettered?:
Not really. I'm not happy with my hair in general right now. I henna'd too dark, I'm growing out my natural color and have 4 inches of routes showing. I have a bunch of flyaways. I hate the cut I have. My hair always looks oily or waxy.

I brush my hair back and to one side with a boar bristle brush and put a little powder around the front of my scalp to give it more body and less oily look. It looks good for about an hour but then it separates back into stringy chunks that lay flat against my scalp.
The only "down" style that looks good to me is half down half up.

When will you be happy?
I won't have my ideal hair for some time. But I believe come this summer/fall my short layers might be long enough that I feel more comfortable with my hair down.

Loktra
March 23rd, 2016, 02:55 AM
Hair Length:
Shoulder in the back, a little longer in the front.

Goal Hair Length:
As long as it will grow.

My cut doesn't look so good growing out, and without styling it's pretty tough, in my opinion, for my hair to look good once it hits shoulder but isn't yet APL.

About a month ago when my shoulders started styling my ends for me.

I put it up so I don't have to look at it, although the uneven length and crazy thickness make this tough at the moment.

Have things bettered?:
Embarrassment forcing me to follow benign neglect updos is actually pretty great.

I have no real reason to wear it down, most of the time. If I'm going out or something and don't want to be constantly re-clipping it, or I'm feeling not so good about my growing bangs and want a distraction from that...
I take the time to air dry my hair more carefully, combing it into shape every 5-10 minutes for a couple hours. Not convenient.

When it is where it was before my chop. BSL at least. Even when my hair was MBL, I didn't wear it down all the time. But until it is truly long, I don't see a reason to wear it down. Damage potential for no real "reward" for me. I love my hair when I can take it out of a damp bun and it sort of bursts out into a cascade of (soon to be flat) waves, and I can really enjoy touching it and tousling it. My bob was cute and I'm glad I did it. But boy is growing it out awful. None of the cuteness of the bob. Just awkward need-a-haircut weirdness.

MsPharaohMoan
March 23rd, 2016, 01:39 PM
Hair Length: TBL

I just think it's an intimate thing to see my hair down (I keep it contained in public). I guess I'm a bit concerned over the quality of my ends but I won't be growing forever.

When did you start feeling like that?: Past two years I've been practicing daily bunning.

How do you deal with it?: Contained in public, up when it needs to be out of the way at home (for example while cooking). Growing right now but after this year I'll maintain at classic.

Have things bettered?: As it gets longer I'm more conscious of it being down and in sight.

Keep it clean, make sure there's no harsh demarcation between braid waves and ends. LOC helps ends not look frizzy.

Maintaining would be nice... Also I miss crazy colors!

:)

antoniamiranda
November 23rd, 2019, 01:05 AM
Vote: Very insecure!

Hair Length: Between classic and mid thigh (almost finger tip)

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: I have very nice hair and even hair model, but in public I am so shy. I don't like the attention it brings. I usually wear it up in buns and braids when I go out. Online I realize I show off my hair a lot with instagram, youtube, and ads I have modeled for; but I'm a totally different person in real life.

When did you start feeling like that?: Ever since my hair hit tailbone and especially since it hit classic length.

How do you deal with it?: Sometimes I bite the bullet and go out with my hair loose, but usually just bun or braid it.

Have things bettered?: I'm hoping over time things will get better.

What is your strategy to improve its looks when down?: I carry a wide tooth wooden comb with me. I usually wear it down if I just washed it or the day after.

When will you be happy?: I'm very happy now :) My original goal was classic and I'm a few inches past classic heading to mid thigh soon. I think knee will be such a cool milestone!

Ylva
November 23rd, 2019, 08:55 AM
Hair Length: Nearing BCL

Goal Hair Length: Somewhere between TBL and CL

In the past, it was because my ends were very thin from breakage that resulted from overbleaching. Towards the end of this summer, I had gotten my ends back to decent thickness, but then in late August I went into telogen effluvium. At this point, I have shed my ends into thinness again.

Most recently, in October.

How do you deal with it?
I keep my hair up in buns, hiding the length and thickness (thinness) for the most part. In the meantime, I just grow out my hair so I can cut off the growth later. After next year, so in 2021, I hope to be regularly cutting off relatively big chunks.

Have things bettered?
Not yet, but at least my shedding isn't getting worse anymore. Now I am just focusing on keeping my stress levels as low as possible and leading a very healthy lifestyle.

What is your strategy to improve its looks when down?
Brushing makes my ends poofier, so they appear thicker. Pancaking braids a little bit.

When will you be happy?
I'll be relatively content when the shedding ends. The thickness will return in time.

Siv
November 23rd, 2019, 11:08 AM
I voted no insecurities because I like my hair, but, well... There's a sort-of issue that I thought to bring up.

Hair Length: HL+

Goal Hair Length: BCL-TBL

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: I don't like being involuntarily sexualised by strangers, and with the attention my hair is bringing at these lengths, I tend to wear it up in certain situations just to avoid the attention from creepers. It's an insecurity as in I don't feel comfortable with some people's reactions, but it's not an insecurity as in I dislike my hair.

When did you start feeling like that?: Around WL

How do you deal with it?: Wear it bunned in certain situations, carry a stick with me just in case I feel like putting it up

Have things bettered?: It gets worse with more length, I suppose, and I'll continue growing

What is your stategie to improve its looks when down?: Well, I personally like how it looks, and so do my family and friends, so I don't feel the need for improvement. Unfortunately creepers like it too... so. Up it goes.

When will you be happy? I am happy with my hair and creepers don't make me unhappy exactly, so it's all good!

lapushka
November 23rd, 2019, 11:30 AM
I don't feel insecure at all about wearing my hair down. I just find the "blanket of hair" that is around me quite annoying. I wear it down to go to bed, and then it doesn't bother me. It's more a matter of convenience, in my case, during the day which is why I wear it up all the time.

jane_marie
November 23rd, 2019, 11:43 AM
I'm not insecure about wearing my hair down at all at the moment

Hair Length: MBL about 1.5 inches from waist at last check

Goal Hair Length: Probably somewhere between TBL an CL but in reality "wherever my hair stops being fun and becomes a chore"

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: I don't have insecurities about wearing my hair down. I'm more insecure about wearing it up due to layers

What is your strategy to improve its looks when down?: I oil to increase shine and maintain nice tips.

When will you be happy?: I'm happy with my hair now but I will be happier with it when my layers grow out a bit more

MusicalSpoons
November 23rd, 2019, 02:10 PM
Hmm, somewhat.

Hair Length: Almost calf

Goal Hair Length: Solid calf, maybe longer (we'll see)

Taper, thin ends, and because people outside of LHC don't understand that hair naturally does that at such longer lengths. Some of the taper/thinness is from pre-LHC neglect so I have hope that a little thickness may travel down in time, but I'm not holding out too muxh hope as my taper starts virtually at the nape and is fairly consistent.

Not sure, since about mid-thigh maybe?

I don't :p I just wear my hair up most of the time for practicality anyway, and the few times I want to show the length off I usually talk myself out of it 'because if it gets damaged it will be even thinner' - which is true, but if I weren't bothered about the thinness it wouldn't really be an issue. The last few times I've worn the length down it's been in a braid and only in front of friends and only for special occasions.

Have things bettered?:
For my hair, no, because the ends get thinner and thinner as it gets longer. For me, slightly, in that I've had the courage to very occasionally wear it in a braid down in front of friends.

Nothing really. A braid shows its thinness but a ponytail risks looking stringy and scraggly :shrug:

When will you be happy?:
Not sure. Maybe if some thickness does travel down, or maybe when I just no longer care because the people I know are used to seeing it at it is.

shelomit
November 23rd, 2019, 03:31 PM
Hair Length: mid-thigh

Goal Hair Length: where it is, only healthier ( ;

I certainly find it easier and more convenient to wear it up or braided, but I sometimes like to have it down and loose for special occasions. I get so many compliments! But that involves treating my hair the opposite that I usually do: increasing the curl rather than decreasing it. (I certainly don't care for the way my hair looks loose when at its straightest.) And, concomitantly, that means that I get "Medusa-head." Curls fly everywhere, tangling at the slightest touch of wind and rapidly looking stringier and stringier at the ends as I try to detangle on the fly.

Since ever. I recently caught up with a professor who was in my department back in undergrad and learned that she had always thought I was bald, since she had never seen my hair down! My hair has definitely been frizzier in the past three years or so, though, which exacerbates everything.

How do you deal with it?
I don't take it down unless I'm really fishing for compliments ( ; And certainly not if I'm going to be spending much time outdoors, as there's endless wind and blowing sand/dust here. I'm hoping that tackling some of this frizziness may let me wear it down indoors a little more frequently.

Have things bettered?
I do find that my hair has been noticeably less frizzy this week after trying the rinse-out oil thing, but I also haven't worn it down for any appreciable amount of time.

Scrunching my hair and letting it dry loose before I plan to wear it down (a big time investment!). Then planning to sneak away several times mid-party to detangle my hair ( ;

Probably the most successful way I've found to wear my hair neatly while loose is putting in some low-hanging rag curls the night before. It still blows around, but doesn't tangle so much in the process. The ends still tend to separate into clumps, but it looks much more intentional! I don't particularly like the rag curls in my hair, though, so that defeats the purpose.

When will you be happy?
I honestly don't think my hair is built to spend much time unrestrained. I expect that I could get some photogenic results by going full-Curly Girl method--but since I like having my hair restrained 350 days of the year anyway, why bother? Keeping down the frizz would be a big plus, though, and something that I could appreciate equally on updo days.

0xalis
November 23rd, 2019, 04:10 PM
Hair Length: Ear

Goal Hair Length:
Really shooting for APL in the next few years, ultimately would be nice to get to waist or longer...

Right now I don't even have a choice in the matter, my hair is too short for any sort of updo.
But when my hair is longer I feel insecure about greasiness. It gets greasy pretty fast because I have fine hair.

High school, back when I first came to TLHC.
I tried stretching washes because I wanted The Healthiest Hair Possible... frankly I was just being silly.
YMMV. Stretching washes, or even going no-wash, works perfectly for some people!
I am not one of those people! I just wish I had realized it back then.
I didn't particularly like wearing my hair up, but I felt too gross if I let people see my hair loose, it was extremely obvious my hair had not been washed. I was also extremely paranoid about split ends. Obsessive, even.

Well I ended up having to shave my head anyway. Caught lice that resisted treatment for months. I don't regret it, shaving my head was a lot of fun, and it was humbling. And I haven't had lice since.
My attitude has also changed.
I for one don't really care that much about what other people think of me anymore.
I've also just decided I'm going to wash my hair when I feel like washing my hair!
And I know now that split ends aren't really the end of the world, what's the point of long hair if I'm not going to have any fun with it.
And I also am actually looking forward to updos now.

Have things bettered?:
Greatly. In general I'm a lot more confident. My hair doesn't seem to mind being washed every other day, so I'm going to stick with my routine.

Wash when it needs to be washed, trim when it needs to be trimmed.

When will you be happy?:
For the most part I'm already happy. I have a nice even blunt hemline, and healthy hair. I'm just excited to see it grow.

Laurab
November 23rd, 2019, 09:25 PM
Hair Length: Just barely shoulder

Goal Hair Length: Arm-pit length was the original goal, but things are being pushed back for happy reasons, so just however long it can get before a friend's wedding

I don't really. I never wear it up.
My mom's always preferred my hair pushed back, as did my high school drama teacher lol. Mostly because there's so much of it, it just falls in my face, so I end up pushing it behind my ears all day. I kept bangs for a while for this reason, just to help thin it out, but the only time I've worn it up consistently was in sixth grade.

In my answer "like that" refers to feeling like my hair is just in my face all the time. I'd say when I started growing out my bangs in late elementary school. I was letting the rest of my hair grow too. That's when I started pushing it back all the time, which makes sense.

How do you deal with it?
I've been trying to wear headbands to keep it out of my face. It reeeally helped the last time I grew out my bangs, since they got to a length where they were too short to stay behind my ear but also always in my face. But now I'm trying to wear them to break my behind the ear habit.

Have things bettered?
I think so, yeah. I'm happier with my hair now than I was in middle school at least, ha.

Ok this is just me revealing an awful habit of mine, but I"m no longer going to sleep with wet hair.
Just damp hair.
Ok I know that's still not great but I use to like shower and go to bed right after no blow-dryer no nothing, it isn't a great method.
But I've been showing at least a couple hours before going to sleep lately, so it's getting better.
Oh and I got a shower cap! My hair doesn't look great if it gets wet but not washed and then it tangles super easily, so I can still extend washes now without skipping showers. 500% improvement on non-wash days.

When will you be happy?
I'm happy now!
I wear my hair down because it's the easiest and the most comfortable for me. I'm trying to push it back less just because it makes it oily faster from all of the touching, but even as it starts to get longer I don't imagine I'll be wearing it up more, simply because I don't like doing hair. I'm terrible at braids, buns, styles, always have been. I'd rather have it down and maybe weird looking than spend time learning a skill I don't enjoy.

Natalia_A00
November 26th, 2019, 04:45 PM
My long hair is like a protective blanket. I feel more comfortable when I wear it down, and more exposed and vulnerable when I wear it up and I can't hide my face behind it.

jane_marie
November 26th, 2019, 04:52 PM
My long hair is like a protective blanket. I feel more comfortable when I wear it down, and more exposed and vulnerable when I wear it up and I can't hide my face behind it.

I relate to this 100%.

BeverlyHills
December 1st, 2019, 03:20 PM
Hair Length:Probably tailbone
Probably when my hair gets a past knee length

unheardletters
December 2nd, 2019, 05:43 AM
Hair Length: Shoulder length

Goal Hair Length: Classic, maybe fingertip

My hair is always in my face. It needs to be up or I cannot see. It can be dangerous while walking, I have fallen so many times because of my hair obstructing my view. My hair is thick and curly/wavy and it grows forward, I spent 30+ years trying to train it to grow to the back and it still won’t do it.

As far back as I can remember.

How do you deal with it?
For now all I can do is ponytail or half up. My hair is too short to bun.

Have things bettered?
No.

Half up?

When will you be happy?
When my hair is long enough to bun. I’ll never be happy to have hair blocking my eyes from seeing where I’m going or what I’m doing.

The-Young-Maid
February 3rd, 2020, 01:14 PM
I love wearing my hair down... when my ends look nice. But once I start growing it out I just prefer to keep it braided.

lapis_lazuli
February 4th, 2020, 12:14 AM
Maybe insecure is not the right word, but I know I don't have the nerve to show that much of myself to people. Most are either judgemental or just violate my boundaries, so I share my hair with virtually no one and keep it for my own enjoyment. That's what it's about in the end.

I do love wearing it loose so much but the comments and stares are not worth it :rolleyes:

Glitch
November 23rd, 2022, 01:01 PM
Fascinating survey! For me it's totally the opposite. I feel insecure about wearing my hair up, hahah. I have a rather full face, which is fine with my hair down, but I feel it's suddenly accentuated with my hair up and I don't like that. It's also a very harsh look on me if I'm not sporting some bangs or face-framing layers. I also just feel more girly/feminine and confident with my hair down. I actually never even really considered that people would feel completely the other way. Interesting!

Bri-Chan
November 23rd, 2022, 01:08 PM

Goal Hair Length: None for now.

What is the reason you feel insecure about wearing your hair down?: it often looks messy because of the texture.

When did you start feeling like that?: around BCL, it looked better when shorter

How do you deal with it?: I don't, I put it up or in a braid or I give up and wear it down anyway

Have things bettered?: they got worse with the length

What is your stategie to improve its looks when down?: sometimes a serum to calm down the frizz, sometimes I comb the messier sections with a wide tooth com

When will you be happy? : when it will decide to be wavy or straight

Hair is a strong part of my style, so I actually suffer from not being able to wear it down successfully, but one day I'll find a way.