PDA

View Full Version : EVOO and low-temperature iron straightening?

10000days
October 19th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Hi everyone,
I've started CO-washing at night; then lightly oiling my hair in the morning with EVOO when it's dry, and using my straightening iron (not a GHD) on the lowest temperature to soften the kinks.

I tried measuring the temperature of the first setting of my hair straightener by using an oven thermometer (the one with a spike) and clamping the straightener around it for a few mins. The temperature was really low- it reached about 17 degrees Celsius (63 F).

From what I've read, the hair cuticle gets damaged from 80 degrees Celsius (176 F). And olive oil reaches smoke point at about 190 degrees Celsius (374 F) (and boiling point at 300 degrees Celsius- 572F- but I don't really understand the difference between those two).

So would it be right to say that I'm just warming up the olive oil in my hair (similar to a warm olive oil treatment) and am not actually damaging my hair with heat? (Ignoring the pulling/rubbing effects of the straightener.)

I'm wondering whether I've missed some vital point here!

MrsGuther
October 19th, 2012, 05:19 PM
From what I've read on LHC, straightening one's hair with any oil on it is the equivelant of sticking it in a frying pan. Be careful!!

lmfbs
October 23rd, 2012, 01:11 AM
Hi everyone,
I've started CO-washing at night; then lightly oiling my hair in the morning with EVOO when it's dry, and using my straightening iron (not a GHD) on the lowest temperature to soften the kinks.

I tried measuring the temperature of the first setting of my hair straightener by using an oven thermometer (the one with a spike) and clamping the straightener around it for a few mins. The temperature was really low- it reached about 17 degrees Celsius (63 F).

From what I've read, the hair cuticle gets damaged from 80 degrees Celsius (176 F). And olive oil reaches smoke point at about 190 degrees Celsius (374 F) (and boiling point at 300 degrees Celsius- 572F- but I don't really understand the difference between those two).

So would it be right to say that I'm just warming up the olive oil in my hair (similar to a warm olive oil treatment) and am not actually damaging my hair with heat? (Ignoring the pulling/rubbing effects of the straightener.)

I'm wondering whether I've missed some vital point here!

I think you've miss-measured the temperature. 17 degrees is a summer's morning. It's *colder* than room temperature. So you 'heated' your hair straightener to less than what your room temp would have been. It wouldn't warm the olive oil in your hair, but it also wouldn't straighten your hair. It would actually have less impact that running your hands through your palms.

There are a couple of things - don't use oil in your hair if you are using any hot tools, including irons or a blowdryer. If you do use hot tools, use a good protector - I find the best ones are silicone based.

The next is that 'hot' oil isn't something you should be doing - warm oil is more accurate. The oil you put in your hair should never be hotter than you can comfortably hold against your wrist - and if there's any way you're heating your hair, you want to heat it less than that hot, or you'll be damaging it.

10000days
October 23rd, 2012, 02:02 AM
Hmm good point about the temperature...I guess my technique missed the mark..!

And thanks for the advice re: heat protectors. I don't have one but I'll make researching/buying one my next mission.

Okay so my new-found hair experiment was a big fail. Thanks for your replies though!

rock007junkie
October 23rd, 2012, 09:24 AM
I might be wrong but from what I remember reading the only oil that works for straighting is Grapeseed oil because of its high smoke point. I have seen it recommended a good number of times as a heat protectant

10000days
October 24th, 2012, 06:19 PM
I might be wrong but from what I remember reading the only oil that works for straighting is Grapeseed oil because of its high smoke point. I have seen it recommended a good number of times as a heat protectant

Oh great, thank you! That's the kind of info I was looking for! :)

rock007junkie
October 24th, 2012, 09:58 PM
No problem. Glad to be of help :)