PDA

View Full Version : Hair Problems, help needed!

Gulliver
October 19th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I really need help with my hair. For the last while my hair has been frizzy and just generally a total pain in the behind. Back when I henna'd it, it seemed to be thicker and shinier, but I have since that time decided I want to go natural. I have semi wavy hair, and I'm not sure whether or not it's the fact that I brush my hair, or the fact that I use silicon shampoo's for my hair that's making it react this way. I've tried the no shampoo method, but it made my already greasy hair even more so. It seems I have this weird blend of too greasy/too frizzy hair. Any help would be much appreciated.
Here's a pic of when I used to henna:
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg144/ava777/blah/Skyessurgeryphotos2010May291-3-1.jpg

Here's a recent pic a day after a shower:
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg144/ava777/blah/IMG_1255.jpg

melusine963
October 19th, 2012, 01:16 AM
You have lovely hair! Henna coats your hair shaft, which would explain why it made your hair feel both thicker and smoother/shinier. I recommend using oil as a leave-in conditioner, perhaps from your chin down. If you use just a tiny amount (rubbed between your palms and then smoothed onto your hair) it will smooth your hair and act as a detangler without making it look greasy. It took me some trial and error to get the amount right for my own hair, but now it really helps fight my frizz.

jojo
October 19th, 2012, 02:05 AM
I don't see any frizz to be honest, yes your hair is two toned due to stopping hennaering but its faded well and I see no damage. I think what you are confusing with frizz is actual racer hairs or new shorter length hairs. Try not to get too hung up about the cone or no cone debate, listen to your hair, it it reacts well to them, then use them!

Gulliver
October 19th, 2012, 11:27 PM
@melusine963: Thanks for the recommendation! I've used oil before (specifically Argan oil), but I never thought to just apply from the chin down before.

@jojo: Yeah, I'm was never really sure what exactly made my hair look all... scruffy and stuff before now (it doesn't show in that photo, but there's always a lot of scruff on the top of my head), so I always assumed it was frizz. But now that you mention that could just be due to racers/new short hairs. I'm in the middle of doing a bunch of trial and error, I'm just mainly frustrated with how my hair isn't exactly doing what I want it to. Thanks for the help.

blaketob
October 20th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I would try oiling the length more often with coconut oil or EVOO and see if that helps. Frizz can be tricky.. My hair went through a frizz phase for a month and then out of no where it stopped so maybe it's just the weather changing or something

eros
October 20th, 2012, 02:17 PM
I have the same hair frizz thing/''problem''. I'm still figuring out on how to get rid of it. Tell me what works for you!

lapushka
October 20th, 2012, 02:50 PM
I'd try just the wide tooth comb and scrunching it. There might be more waves there than you realize. The tip of trying oil is also a good one. You can try a few drops of baby oil in the way that was suggested and it's awesome on frizzy hair (even though I don't see any).

petali
October 22nd, 2012, 11:40 PM
After brushing your hair, try applying a leave-in conditioner (oil or cone, doesn't matter) by rubbing it on your hands, then twisting your hair with it.

picklepie
October 22nd, 2012, 11:55 PM
Have you clarified recently? Sometimes when my hair starts acting "weird", that's the only solution. But I second the wavier-than-you-think idea-- those flippy little hairs are trying to tell you something, I bet!

owlathena
October 23rd, 2012, 12:02 AM
I think your hair is absolutely beautiful :crush:

And I also recommend trying oil just from the ears/chin down.

melusine963
October 24th, 2012, 02:08 AM
@melusine963: Thanks for the recommendation! I've used oil before (specifically Argan oil), but I never thought to just apply from the chin down before.

My hair is pretty greasy too, so oiling anywhere above my chin would just make things worse.

Gulliver
October 24th, 2012, 06:26 PM
@blaketob:
I’ve never tried coconut oil, but if the oil I’m going to use fails I’ll give it a try. Also, my hairs never had a tendency to change with the weather before, but maybe that’s what’s causing the “poof”, so to speak.

@eros:
I’m glad to know I’m not the only one with difficult hair. I’ll be sure to message you if I get any huge successes.

@lapushka:
I’m started using a wide tooth comb and it does seem to make it a little bit better, if not much (I have a tendency to pull too hard, so that’s probably why). I’ve never thought of scrunching, but I’ll have to put it on my list of things to try out (along with baby oil).

@petali:
Is leave in conditioner regular conditioner, or is it special in some way? I’ve never used leave in before, so I have no idea. I’ll defiantly have to try the twisting method.

@picklepie
As far as I am aware, I don’t think I’ve ever clarified (if what you mean is if I’ve ever used a clarifying shampoo/baking soda). Does clarifying ones hair usually bring out more wave (that would make sense, seeing as what’s in the hair that’s weighing it done gets washed out)?

@owlathena:
Thank you! : ) Yeah, I’m trying the oil thing out and I’m going to see how it works out.

@melusine963:
Yeah, too much oil on the top of one’s head is just terrible. Though I’m not sure why I hadn’t thought to just apply ear down (seems logical).

rock007junkie
October 24th, 2012, 07:23 PM
To me it looks like a moisture issue. Make sure that you condition as much as you can. Keeping my hair oiled with a butter or an oil helps a ton as well...especially now that the weather is getting colder.