PDA

View Full Version : DD's baby fine hair

Katze
October 18th, 2012, 03:00 AM
It is soooo nice to have LHC back up!

DD, 3 1/2, started life bald (and with no visible eyebrows) and has gradually grown a thick (at the crown) cap of baby-fine white-blonde locks. Her longest strands reach her shoulders, even armpits, if stretched, but like mama she has severe taper so the ends are pretty thin. Because they're curlier than mine it is actually pretty cute. :)

She had her first haircut (bangs) shortly before her third birthday, and I haven't touched the length at all. It is now long enough for two side pigtails, or two braids, but only with mini-elastics I brought from the USA.

I wash her hair 1x a week or so with baby shampoo, but don't do anything else with it. Should I? To help it grow or moisturize it? I tried some Nature's Gate Awapuhi (a teeny bit) as a leave-in and it made her ends stringy. It does get fluffy after washing sometimes, and wavier when it is 'dirtier', like mine.

Athough I was bald, then blonde and fine as a kid, I have never seen anyone go THIS long without 'really having hair'! :D Parents of older kids have reassured me that this is 'normal' for some blondes, and that their kids got a full head of hair at 5, and so on.

But I wonder if I could do anything to help her hair grow faster?

The other funny thing is how my one colleague, who's Jamaican, and two of DH's pupils, who are of Turkish background, reacted to DD being blonde when DH and I (by north European standards anyway) are not blonde anymore. 'Wow, she is SO blonde! So you really didn't bleach it? And you BOTH were THAT blonde as kids?' I love these kinds of conversations...

Nini
October 18th, 2012, 06:16 AM
I'd leave it alone for now. One of my cousin's had practically no hair until she turned three, granted it's still on the thin side in her mid-thirties, but it grew in eventually.

ladyfey
October 18th, 2012, 06:28 AM
My son's hair is like that, like cotton candy fluffy and white blonde. He will be four next month and it is finally filling in. I have found that the fluffiness with his hair is dryness and I use conditioner every wash and usually don't rinse it out or do a very minimal rinse. His hair drinks it up. It also LOVES Nightbloomings panacea.