PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to tell if short hairs are breakage or new growth?

hufflepug
October 17th, 2012, 11:29 PM
I have a bunch of short pieces along where I part my hair. They're about .5"-1.5". I'm hoping they're new growth, since I had a really heavy shed back in August. I'm just worried that I'm doing something wrong and causing breakage. But I haven't heat styled or bleached my hair in 4+ months, so I don't think that's what it is. Is there a way to know for sure?

Ticky
October 18th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Only way I know is to look at those hairs' ends. If they are tapered, it's new growth, and if there is any type of damage... Then it is, well, damage.

Sorry to hear about the huge shed! I hope all is well now.

hufflepug
October 18th, 2012, 01:29 AM
Only way I know is to look at those hairs' ends. If they are tapered, it's new growth, and if there is any type of damage... Then it is, well, damage.

Sorry to hear about the huge shed! I hope all is well now.

They look tapered as far as I can tell, so fingers crossed that it's new growth!
And thank you :)

missannie
November 29th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I have tons of hair too that I don't know if its new growth or broken hairs...I'm on my way to the bathroom to see if its tapered!!!

Audhumla
November 30th, 2012, 12:53 AM
I'm not sure but I've heard people say that tapering ends on individual strands are attributable to breakage as often as I've heard people say tapered ends=new growth.
I don't know what to believe.

arelrios
November 30th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I have had this "issue" always... and I've wondered if it is grow or breakage. I also wonder about the hairs growing right at the hair line (not sure of the technical name) because I have like a zillion of those and they seem like never grow or perhaps are just newer hair.. :shrug:

jacqueline101
November 30th, 2012, 10:13 AM
If its tapered its new growth other wise damage. I'm sorry your hair went through a shed.

Elanadi
November 30th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I have the exact same thing, lots of short hairs very visible at my part and fringe... I too had a major shed over the summer, so I just assumed it was new growth to replace the shed hairs - it never occurred to me it could be breakage!! But, I don't heat style, dry, or even use hair bands to pony anymore, so I can't imagine I have breakage. I'm going with new growth. ;)

melusine963
November 30th, 2012, 11:16 AM
They look tapered as far as I can tell, so fingers crossed that it's new growth!
And thank you :)

Sounds like new growth to me. Congratulations!