PDA

View Full Version : I wash my hair everyday

HaiirPEACE
August 18th, 2008, 07:40 AM
and i feel guilty about it.

i mean i really don't need to but my bangs get a little oily and then i feel like everyone notices so i jump in the shower.

i don't if i have the will power to not do it. but i don't want to damage my hair just because i wash it (which i think i'm doing)

wolf girl
August 18th, 2008, 07:54 AM
You have absolutely nothing to feel gulity about! There are a lot of people (here on the boards included) that S&C everyday. Whatever you are comfortable with is what you should do. I S&C 3x a week. I don't have bangs but my hair gets oily. I distribute the oil on non-wash days with my trusty BBB.

You should continue whatever works for you. There are no "rules" in this game.

AJoifulNoise
August 18th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I wash my hair 6 days a week. 7 days sometimes. 5 or 6 of those are CO, but still. There's nothing to feel guilty about if it's what works for you.

curly girl fla
August 18th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I have dry, frizzy hair, and I still like to wash daily. I know exactly how you feel--I feel guilty about it, too, since it's so frowned upon, especially in the curly-haired community. But I don't feel good during the day if I don't cleanse-even though my hair often would look better on the second day.

SHELIAANN1969
August 18th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I co daily, and I use poo about every 5 days or so.

If I washed my hais with poo 2 or 3 days ago, but am going somewhere special, I will use poo again but lightly. But I always, always, always use conditioner, if I didn't my hair would me a matted mess.

Like the previous posters said, do what is right FOR YOU.

Everyone is different and their routine may not work for others.

To ease the guilt, I find Ice Cream works best!! hahaha or chocolate!!!

spidermom
August 18th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I hope you're putting some conditioner on the ends and diluting your shampoo at least.

I've been washing daily to every other day lately. I work in the yard and the dirt, and with all the sweating and dust, washing is a must. Sometimes I do CO, sometimes CWC with diluted shampoo. My hair is holding up just fine.

Amoretti
August 18th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Another option is typing it back and just washing the front bits.

Arctic
August 18th, 2008, 08:27 AM
... or use a dry shampoo on your bangs

Euphony
August 18th, 2008, 08:29 AM
If my hair didn't take 8 hours to dry I would wash it daily. Currently I wash it every 2 to 3 days. Do not feel guilty about it! Just because it's common here to not wash your hair often doesn't mean you need to follow that 'rule'.

I'm awful, I also think I'm a long-haired prude. Even before I was able to grow my hair long I hated seeing long hair that was fried looking or greasy looking. I think most people that like long hair see all long hair as being pretty just for it's sheer length - I'm not one of them.

Saying this, I will bid goodbye for now since it's time for me to jump in the shower and wash my hair.

sipnsun
August 18th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Have you tried using baby powder (the cornstarch kind) in your bangs? It will absorb the oil and make your hair look clean. I have to wash every other day and I use the powder method if I have to leave my house on days I don't wash. It works really well. Don't feel bad about shampooing everyday if you have to. Just remember to condition to replace lost moisture.

aisling
August 18th, 2008, 08:48 AM
when I had bangs, I washed them almost every day, but only the bangs. This helped a lot with the overall look and I really recommend trying. Just clip the rest of your hair back and wash your bangs.

spidermom
August 18th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I think most people that like long hair see all long hair as being pretty just for it's sheer length - I'm not one of them.

I'm the same way. I've even known some people who had short hair and long hair, and I liked it better short. For instance, my son has long hair and when it's freshly washed and combed, it's beautiful. But he's lazy about washing it and it gets all tangled and matted-looking a lot of the time, so I wish he'd cut it short again. I never say this to him, however. It's his hair, his decision, and I don't want him posting somewhere "my mom makes rude comments about my hair." haha

Sorry about the hijack. I'm leaving now.

Tap Dancer
August 18th, 2008, 09:30 AM
When I had bangs, I would gather my hair in a ponytail to keep the rest of my hair from getting wet, lean over the sink and wet my bangs, shampoo them, rinse them, and then blowdry them. Non-greasy bangs! :)

HairyCarrie
August 18th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Still a shorty, and I shampoo/condition every day with an occasional CO. I sweat a lot from the neck up when it's hot/humid, so I'm inclined to use some 'poo although it is strongly diluted. I use very little - just enough to support my habit of 5 decades of sudsing. :rolleyes:

It will be interesting to see how my routine changes as my hair gets some length on it.

young&reckless
August 18th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I wash every day too! I sweat every day and it just feels gross if I don't wash. As you hair gets longer you can just wash the scalp area most days. Don't feel guilty there are much worse things we could do then wash our hair.

Euphony
August 18th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Still a shorty, and I shampoo/condition every day with an occasional CO. I sweat a lot from the neck up when it's hot/humid, so I'm inclined to use some 'poo although it is strongly diluted. I use very little - just enough to support my habit of 5 decades of sudsing. :rolleyes:

It will be interesting to see how my routine changes as my hair gets some length on it.
That's something I hadn't thought of. Length and thickness have a great deal to do with how often people wash too I'm sure. Or at least it does for me. My hubby washes with hair soap so it's very non-stripping, so his scalp is not overcompensating with oils. He washes daily, he has super thin hair, very fine, and very short. We have noticed his hair doesn't look totally greasy as fast with hair soap as it did with sulfate 'poos however.

When my hair was apl I washed daily, I had to. Up to bsl I would either wash every other day or wash with 'poo one day and the next day did a WO. The longer my hair gets the more I'm able to stretch the washings. During the winter a lot I'll loosely bun my hair and keep that out of the water and wash my scalp so it doesn't take 8 - 10 hours to dry <brrrrrr>

Juneii
August 18th, 2008, 09:56 AM
it's alright, so do I. my hair is super oily so if I skip a day of washing it gets stringy and not very pretty X__X
I use oily hair shampoo so I think that also stips it of all the healthiness but my hair feels soft and smooth because of it.

Periwinkle
August 18th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Have you ever tried washing your fringe on its own? Tie the rest of of your hair back, then rinse your fringe and use shampoo/conditioner/whatever if you like. If it's just one bit of your hair getting greasy, then it hardly seems worth the effor to twash it.

That said, you should do what works best for you!

Lamb
August 18th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Don't feel guilty there are much worse things we could do then wash our hair.

My thoughts exactly. Shampoo is far less damaging than blowdrying or straightening. As long as you are gentle with your hair, you have nothing to worry about.
(I am a curly and I wash daily, if not S&C than at least a water rinse and conditioner.)

HaiirPEACE
August 18th, 2008, 11:16 AM
i use shampoo and conditoner about the same amount of each everyday. i don't dilute anything. i use Redken's All Soft.

i also noticed that if i skip a day of washing my hair seems to tangle more? i don't know whats up with that or if it's normal since my hair hasn't been "long" in like 10 years

some days i get lucky though and my bangs look fine. i think i'll try just washing them

embee
August 18th, 2008, 12:01 PM
That's what I did when I had bangs. My hair was then extremely oily and got stringy before the end of the day. Washing the bangs only was part of my washing my face routine. Diluted shampoo worked very well.

As you get older (much older) you may find that your scalp oil output changes and you won't need to do this daily hairwash any more.

Carolyn
August 18th, 2008, 12:55 PM
When I had bangs I washed them daily (if I was leaving the house) but putting my hair in a low pony and just washing the bang area. It worked very well. It let me go a second and even third day between full washings as long as I did a ponytail or single braid.

If you are using equal amounts of shampoo and conditioner, an idea might be to use less shampoo by diluting it. When I do a full wash with shampoo, I use maybe 2t shampoo to a good half cup of conditioner.

There is nothing wrong with doing a full wash every day. Please don't feel guilty about it. Don't we have enough guilt in life without feeling guilty for washing our hair every day? Only you know what works for your hair and you know your own hair best. You know how you want it to look and feel. Just do what you want.

dancingbarefoot
August 18th, 2008, 01:00 PM
There's no reason to feel guilty about it.

However, you do realize that washing it that frequently is exactly what's causing it to be so oily in the first place? When you wash it daily, your scalp expects that it's going to have to produce X amount of sebum daily to replace what you've washed away. If you skip a day, it still produces sebum because it's used to being washed daily. However, if you start to stretch your wash schedule out, eventually your scalp will be re-trained. Instead of producing X amount of sebum daily, for example, it will produce 1/3 of that amount daily.

If you want to continue washing daily, that's fine. But if you want to wash your hair less frequently, you have to accept that it's going to be a bit oily in the beginning until your scalp realizes it doesn't need to produce quite so much sebum.

MsBubbles
August 18th, 2008, 01:21 PM
, if you start to stretch your wash schedule out, eventually your scalp will be re-trained. Instead of producing X amount of sebum daily, for example, it will produce 1/3 of that amount daily.

I am still waiting for that day :). I have noticed, however, after 3+ months of only putting a small amount of diluted shampoo on my scalp, that when I feel I can skip a wash (like on a Sunday, not stepping foot outside the house) I don't get the oil slick on my head until halfway through that non-wash day. Previously it was oily from midnight onwards :).

If I leave my hair just one day, it's usually so itchy I feel like I'm doing more damage by having to scratch it. I'd put it up and try to go every other day, but I look hideous with my hair up. :(

Shanarana
August 18th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I CO, or wash when needed my bangs daily. Sometimes I'll just wet them down and flip them back dripping wet to comb through the length. I usually wash my length every 3rd day or so depending on what I put in my hair.

If I wear my hair down I will wash first....but if I'm planning a couple days with my hair up, I'll leave the length alone until it needs washing.