PDA

View Full Version : What's with the Hair Guilt?!

sisi33
October 17th, 2012, 02:16 PM
So lately I've been noticing alot of "hair guilt", for lack of a better term. Why is everyone so self-depreciating about what "bad" things they're doing to their hair?

It's not about how "Good" or "Bad" your hair is- what matters is that you're trying to make it look/feel/taste(?!) better!

neko_kawaii
October 17th, 2012, 02:25 PM
mmm, hair.

sisi33
October 17th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I just had to- it's part of the :cheese:

biogirl87
October 17th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure (I don't do really damaging things to my hair, except maybe wearing it down most of the time), but I think it's because people know the damage they're causing to their hair and they oftentimes end up regretting it.

melusine963
October 17th, 2012, 02:40 PM
For me it's not really about guilt, but more about sharing some amusement. I know the 'bad' things I do, but I also know I'll most likely keep doing them.

blaketob
October 17th, 2012, 07:06 PM
i think people are just sharing experiences to see if anyone else does that habits that they do. i agree with others, its not necessarily guilt, just sharing. i also think people are really critical of themselves in general so that could be why. just critiquing ourselves in more ways lol

MrsGuther
October 17th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I think hair guilt comes from being more aware of your hair, and things that are bad for it. It's like once you learn what's bad for your hair, you can't go back to not caring! At least that's how I feel.

Cheele
October 24th, 2012, 08:23 PM
If I want to do something to my hair, I'll do it.

For example, I dye my hair. I know its "bad", but it makes me feel better about my hair. If I looked in the mirror and didn't like what I saw, would the fact that I kept it healthier matter to me?

Nope.

Just do what makes you happy.

It's YOUR hair :).

HairFaerie
October 24th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I don't usually subscribe to the self depreciating hair guilt. If I get a cut I may not be happy with, I might complain but don't feel guilty. :) It grows back!
I do what makes me feel good about my hair. If other people deem it as "bad", oh well! It's my hair and I am the one who ultimately has to be happy with it.

Angel Barchild
October 24th, 2012, 09:29 PM
There are so many way more important things I could feel guilty about in my life. What I do to my hair is not one of them. It's mine and for me to enjoy. Not to mention if I tear it up or break it, I can throw it away and it will replace itself, all I have to do is wait. :D

jacqueline101
October 24th, 2012, 10:33 PM
For me its doing something bad. Like using heat or brushing harshly and knowing better. You use the bad as a learning experience.

Lesiaoc
October 29th, 2012, 11:10 AM
I agree about simply sharing, and its nice knowing that there's a place full of people with common goals where everyone can admit to the things they do that are counterproductive. I personally find stress relief in knowing that someone who has gorgeous hair that I'm trying to grow doesn't have this crazy self discipline either! I want to find the happy balance between treating my hair right and actually enjoying it. what's the point in putting forth all the effort if jou are only going to obsess and drive yourself crazy to the point of never getting any jot out of something you've worked so hard on?

ladyshep
October 29th, 2012, 11:10 AM
I don't know. I had been feeling guilty for a while because my hair has broken off about 4 inches since the summer. It still looks healthy and long, so I am over the guilt. The hair is going to do what it is going to do is my thought proscess. I like to use freezeit hairspray which is probably another culprit. But I like hairspray for my updos so I won't feel guilty about that anymore!

missannie
November 14th, 2012, 11:00 PM
My hair was always healthy no shedding or itching or worries....now I think I have become so nervous that I am hurting my hair it sheds and it drives me nuts!

faellen
November 16th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Just do what makes you happy.

It's YOUR hair :).

Totally agree with this!

mzBANGBANG
November 16th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I agree with OP while a lot of us are saying we don't feel the hair guilt, many of us used to and posted about it (ok... I am mostly referring to myself... haha). I lost my hair guilt around the 9 month marker of being here because I became unhappy with the natural state of my hair, and the more I play with it, style it, and make it look how I want it to look, the happier I am. My growth has slowed down exponentially, but I've never loved my hair more. :D

EndlessSunshine
November 19th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I feel like my hair is just getting fuller and not longer at the moment and it is driving me nuts because I look crazy if I try and wear it down. Not much I can do but be nice to it and let it grow so i can do braids and such. Be happy that we have hair to pamper I guess.

RileyJane
November 21st, 2012, 05:35 PM
Whenever i even get the slightest thought to use my straightener, i instantly feel bad about how that would hurt my hair :P i know that it seems silly that one time could really do much damage, but if i didnt have that guilt association then i would be back at straightening my hair everyday, and breaking off my ends everyday because of it, so i see the guilt as a blessing in disguise:)

Remyy
November 21st, 2012, 05:41 PM
I actually think I have hair guilt often. I've been hair-friendly for about 3 years, and even when I have a wedding or formal event, it emotionally kills me to have my hair done, (most of the time I won't allow it.) Unfortunately, for me it's become a strange mentality Though this definitely isn't the case for most others!

dulce
November 21st, 2012, 06:20 PM
Do what works for your hair and what makes you happy! Forget about what everyone else is doing and don't compare yourself to others!No guilt..