PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating bangs...

quintanion
October 17th, 2012, 09:20 AM
I'm thinking about doing something to change up my style without losing a lot of length - naturally, bangs come to mind. I had straight across bangs a few years ago that looked nice immediately after I styled them, but a cowlick and my natural center park tended to mess up the style. I'm thinking of trying side bangs this time, which I haven't had since I was in high school and had much shorter hair. Mostly considering it because I wear my hair in a braid or a bun almost every day and have a long face that makes those styles look rather severe/plain. Would love your opinions on whether side swept bangs might help with that (links to any pics of suggested styles would be awesome!).

Here are a few photos of various styles over the years...

1. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Tiraka/_-5.jpg
2. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Tiraka/_-8.jpg
3. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Tiraka/_-7.jpg
4. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Tiraka/_-11.jpg
5. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Tiraka/_-6.jpg

1. Current hair, down
2. Ponytail look
3. Straight across bangs
4. Why I don't wear those bangs anymore
5. Side bangs (and prom hair/makeup...)

Artisticat
October 17th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I think you would look great in longer side swept bangs. A little thicker than your #5 picture.
I like #3 too, but perhaps thicker bangs too?
Anyway you look gorgeous with or without bangs!

Manny1826
October 17th, 2012, 02:39 PM
You really do look amazing either way! Just my 2 cents.. love the photo in #1 without the bangs best, but if you do go for bangs, I actually like the straight across best in #3.. it gives a really nice dramatic look!

biogirl87
October 17th, 2012, 02:50 PM
I think you look really pretty without bangs. You've got a gorgeous forehead. Bangs tend to take away from the thickness of your hair. If I were in your shoes, I'd swing some of my hair over to one side or the other to hide the part, but I don't think I'd be getting bangs. In May I got bangs cut into my hair at Great Clips and was disliking them by end of August. Now I'm patiently waiting for them to grow out.

papera
October 17th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I'd say go for 5. :)

I d like 3. too, but if you don't like how they change during the day go for 5. I also have a rather long face and small eyes ... and I don't like how I look without side bangs/ face-framing layers, way to harsh, unfeminine, and serious, so not me!:p

ETA: Forgot to add that I usually wear my hair up, and I really love my face-framing layers because of the said reasons! my two cents ... let us know what you decide!

principesse
October 17th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Well, first off, you have a gorgeous face with or without bangs. I am in the minority but I say go for the straight across bangs. If you feel like having a refreshing change this is one way to do it without affecting your length. Bangs grow very quickly so if you don't like them, within a month they will already be longer and sideswept. Go for it, they reall suit you and ive always found them fresh.

HintOfMint
October 18th, 2012, 12:23 AM
I like the straight across bangs except cut a little thicker. They look exceedingly chic on you!

jacqueline101
October 23rd, 2012, 03:03 AM
I like number 5 the best.

Libbylou
October 23rd, 2012, 05:32 AM
My vote is number 3. I have kind of straight across bangs that are kind of an upside down u shape. They are an upkeep, that is for sure. They have to be styled and trimmed regularly to keep them looking nice.

EtherealDoll
October 23rd, 2012, 09:12 AM
You look much better without bangs. Number 5 looks good too.

Buffy
October 23rd, 2012, 09:42 AM
I think you look really amazing with or without bangs! Bangs make you look more girly, plus they look amazing with updos!!
I say go for the straight across bangs BUT make them thicker than photo 3 this time! This way they will look neater and your center part won't mess them up so much(i talk from experience, because i've had this issue with bangs in the past). Even if you don't like them, or you find them annoying to style, they will become a sideswept within a month so no biggie~!

Macaroni
October 23rd, 2012, 11:41 AM
I like you without bangs and with the bangs in photo 3.
I've never liked side swept bangs because they're fussed with constantly and it just drives me nuts to see it.

Tota
October 23rd, 2012, 12:46 PM
Photo 3 is the best. You look like a celebrity having a photoshoot. Really pretty and very flattering. I love love love those bangs on you, and I generally don't like bangs on people ;) Maybe, just maybe they would look even better if they'd be a little bit thicker.

quintanion
October 29th, 2012, 09:19 PM
First, thanks for all the input! Sadly, I wasn't able to see it before going in for the cut, as this is the first time I've been able to access the site since I posted (what's up with the full server messages?)

Anyways, I went with long side swept bangs...at least that's what I asked for, which had little to do with the cut I actually got. I'm fine with how the cut looks, but the stylist took off WAY more length than I requested and did face-framing layers rather than bangs. Nice reminder of why I hadn't had my hair trimmed in 1.5 years. Incidentally, if anyone can recommend a trustworthy stylist in Houston, I'd love to hear it!

If you're curious how it came out, bathroom mirror phone picture ahoy:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Tiraka/photo-2.jpg

vanillabones
October 31st, 2012, 02:23 PM
I love your new side-swept bangs! I was just about to post and say I like #5 the best and I am not a fan of bangs but you look great with some side swept bangs and they are low maintenance and a very pretty accessory. They look great good job :) and Happy Halloween!

joflakes
October 31st, 2012, 03:40 PM
I think you look the best in number 3. Then again I am biased...I have bangs like that! :)

ETA: Your new hair looks awesome! Good choice.

MimiKeki
November 14th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Hey :)
#3 and #5 suited you very well.
I second the idea of going with #3 again, and perhaps cut just a little thicker.

mzBANGBANG
November 16th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I know the cut isn't what you were looking for, but on the plus side it actually suits you very well! It looks lovely!

Buffy
November 18th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Even though the cut is not what you were going for (i feel you-story of my life) it actually suits you really really well!