PDA

View Full Version : Hair falling out. Help?

icallitbliss
October 16th, 2012, 10:21 AM
So I'd say my hair has finally grown out enough for me to be semi-satisfied with it. But, to reach that point, I've had to do a lot of blowdrying, flat ironing, and dyeing.

Now that it's getting longer, it MIGHT look fine on its own, but I can never decide on the color.

My problem is that I'm starting to have a lot of hair falling out. Like...smallish clumps in the shower. My friends tell me that it's normal. I haven't had longish hair for quite awhile, so maybe I did lose hair before, but it was just too short?

I remember this happening last time I had my hair around this length. And guess what I was doing? Blowdrying, flat ironing, and dyeing. When I shaved my head, I had a fresh start, and I was fine.

I wear my hair wavy/curly occasionally, but I hate how I look with that. I was thinking about just eliminating one (like no iron/blowdryer or just no dyeing), just to see if I could find the culprit.

One of my friends also told me Pantene makes your hair fall out. I've used a lot of that to hide my "damage." So I don't even know!

I was also thinking about just dyeing my hair back my natural ugly color and then just letting it stay like that. It's better than doing the drastic thing and shaving it again. I can always cut off the damage, right?

AineMuirne
October 16th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Use aloe vera juice! It really helps. Leave it in before your shower for an hour or so or use it as a rinse in the shower (mix it with water). I add it to my vinegar rinse in the shower (1-2 tsp ACV, 1-2 Tbsp aloe juice in a 32 oz honey bear) and apply it all over after shampooing, then put my conditioner over it and let it sit. I went from shedding 10-20 hairs per shower to shedding 2-5 hairs and the hair stays tangle free more easily.

Silverbrumby
October 16th, 2012, 11:00 AM
I've had to do a lot of blowdrying, flat ironing, and dyeing.

Sounds like you really like smooth hair. I have a woman I work with who does all of the above and it looks just fine. She only grows it chin length like yours and trims it regularly. It works for her and looks great. Now if she was trying for length she's toast. That's a lot of damage and unless you're gifted with great hair genes it isn't going to work.

So, keep it at the current length with regular trims and see if your routine is ok for your hair. Cutting out the chemical dye will help. Think about Henna maybe?

OR

Stop the damaging practices and go natural curly, natural colour.

jacqueline101
October 16th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I'd give up the dye and heated appliances. I'd try the aloe and vinegar to see if that helps your shed.

redsonjared
October 17th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I went from shedding 10-20 hairs per shower to shedding 2-5 hairs and the hair stays tangle free more easily.

I dream of only shedding 10-20 hairs every shower, I shed at least 80 -100 every time, have done for years. It seemed to get worse when I was using Treseme and possibly CO wash. Now trying CWC to see if that makes a difference. Have lots of baby hairs growing to replace the shed though. Will try the aloe vera if my current experiment again with ACV works ok.

Fairlight63
October 17th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Are you taking any medicines? even aspirin, & Aleeve I read causes hair loss.
I am also going through losing a lot of hair & Googled hairloss & Aleeve, or asprin & it came up. I have (had) been taking 1 Aleeve every night because it helps me sleep because of hip pain. I guess that I will have to find something else:confused:

AineMuirne
October 17th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I dream of only shedding 10-20 hairs every shower, I shed at least 80 -100 every time, have done for years. It seemed to get worse when I was using Treseme and possibly CO wash. Now trying CWC to see if that makes a difference. Have lots of baby hairs growing to replace the shed though. Will try the aloe vera if my current experiment again with ACV works ok.

:( I often wonder how we aren't all bald, since hair grows back so much more slowly than it falls out. I guess it balances out somehow.

After about 2 weeks, CO made me lose more hair, too. My current routine leave my hair much nicer, anyway. I do use TRESemme Smooth and Silky conditioner and have for years (never for CO, though)... I've never loved a conditioner more, but everyone's hair is so different. I should also probably mention that I add aloe vera to my homemade shampoo... so my scalp gets a double dose.

MrsGuther
October 17th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Are the hairs shed hairs, or breakage? Chemically coloring your hair and using heat tools can cause lots of breakage. Or perhaps you are just having a big shed right now. Are you stressed out perhaps?

Silverbrumby
October 17th, 2012, 08:48 PM
I shed 40 to 60 every shampoo ;)

princess007
October 17th, 2012, 09:58 PM
I agree that you should try to see if it is breakage or the entire hair coming out. Is there a root on it?

If its breakage, then its likely from the heat and dye. If its complete hair falling out, then I think it could be a couple different things.

1. maybe it is that you just notice more than you are used to since your hair is getting longer.

2. could be just a normal amount for you. As long as you dont actually notice the hair thinning, then its probably your normal amount.

3. Could be the sulfate in your shampoo. I just recently stopped using a sulfate shampoo and noticed that my shedding has started to reduce.

If you are going for length, then I would have to say thay you probably have to stop or cut down on the heat and color if it is breakage. Some peoples hair can take it but most cant.

I know how much it sucks to go through that grow out stage with wavy hair.....I prayed to the flat iron god for so long! I realized I would never have long beautiful hair if I kept doing it. I grew out a pixie cut from last year and my hair is now below my shoulders. I suffered through the awkward lengths and fluffy. I am glad I gave up the flat iron at the beginning of the year. My hair is healthy so in turn it lays better (i have wavy hair).

So you have to evaluate what your goals are versus what you are willing to change. I have a feeling, if your hair is like mine....it just cant take all that flat ironing and dye.....and sulfates.

Also, I highlighted my hair for years and forgot what my natural color really was. When I cut all the damage off into a pixie, I just let it grow and stayed away from color. Funny....I like my natural color now.

Hang in there:)

Melodere
October 19th, 2012, 08:27 AM

I've been debating a cut/donate soon because of how much I'm shedding. I'm also pretty sure my length is terminal (just below BSL) as it hasn't grown in months, and the last time my hair was long, this was where it stopped as well (and I also cut and donated when the major shedding started). Not sure what I was using back then, but right now I'm using Treseme... CO/CWC. So reading this I wonder if it's that combo causing the shedding! I have fine hair to begin with, so losing hair is NOT cool. Haha!

Off to find aloe vera!

Ligeia_13
October 23rd, 2012, 10:54 AM
Boy, do I feel your pain. I shed so much in the shower now, it's scary. And if I take my hair in an imaginary ponytail and slide my hand down, there's always hair coming out. And nothing's changed, not my routine, not my length (stall), not my stress levels.

I guess the way to know if it's your length that's causing more hair is to not compare the actual amount but the ease with which it comes out? I don't know :/

Oubli
October 23rd, 2012, 01:05 PM
Fairlight63 - Try Valerian, it's a pain reliever and sleep aid, also helps relax muscles. Not surprised that Aleve and Aspirin could promote hair loss, I don't think Valerian has ever been indicated in hair loss and I've never experienced hair loss from it - so it may be worth try. Good luck.