PDA

View Full Version : Methods of Containing Wild Hair

forgotten1
August 18th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Alright. I used to visit this site regularly for about a year. I grew my hair to my waist then went through a changing period in my life where I cut my hair, dyed it a billion colors, and basically learned my lesson if you know what I mean. I finally have my hair back to it's natural color and it's to my shoulders. It's sort of layered now and when I try not to blow dry and straighten it, it ends up looking like a horrible mess. Also when I wake up in the morning the front of my hair is completely frizzed out all over. I've never had these problems. Is there any natural non harmful ways to containing by hair without using heat?

Catladyintown
August 18th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Hi Forgotten1 welcome back. Have you tried Flax seed gel? It is all natural I forgot the recipe for flax seed gel but if you ask on the recipe forum someone will help.HTH

ChatoyantLocks
August 18th, 2008, 12:59 AM
You could also try experimenting with coconut oil (applied on damp hair) and see if you hair likes it. It doesn't really have hold, as such, but it helps keep moisture in, which can help make hair more manageable, and adds a nice shine.

Katze
August 18th, 2008, 01:15 AM
welcome back!

I have similar hair, and similar issues. Growing out damage and layers!

First off, 'cones (any product with ingredients ending in "-one", which are silicone derivatives) helped control the frizzy messiness for a while, but my scalp wasn't happy and I lost my waves, so I went back to no 'cones.

Oiling damp hair, using leave-in conditioner mixed with hair gel, aloe vera GEL (pure aloe doesn't work) and misting all help, BUT:

with hair like ours (I am just a bit finer but very similar hairtype - see profile pic for messy!) at a certain point - you just have to Embrace The Messiness. Try encouraging your waves (plopping, scrunching, skipping) to make the messy look like it's on purpose.

I use hair gel regularly to control the frizz and make my bangs behave. If you want to, I don't see anything wrong with using a small amount of gel once or twice a week, as long as you wash using shampoo.

I very seldom brush my hair on "clean" hair days but have been brushing it on days 3-4 to slick it down for updos. The longer it gets, the more often I find I have to wash (every 2-3 days usually, rather than every 4-5 days) as it is in much better shape.

hth!

Shanarana
August 18th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I find that using aloe gel helps with my hair. It's not sticking and I get the same effect as I would with a conventional gel but without the dryness and crunchy feeling.

D-eath
August 18th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Some cold water and coconut oil should help.