PDA

View Full Version : What is your current experiment?

Natalia
October 14th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Some of us are settled, some arent, sometimes we just get the urge. So lets share whats your current experiment?

Im going through a whatever may help me detangle this mess phase. Currently trying various leave ins and drying/sleeping methods. Tonight is suave coconut night.

Miss Catrina
October 14th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Still trying to figure out a wash routine. At the moment I'm back to basics... trying SLS shampoo.

biogirl87
October 14th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Currently, I don't have any true experiments, but if I start experimenting I may start a blog about it. Not real sure about the blog part right now though.

teal
October 14th, 2012, 11:41 PM
It occurs to me that I have more wispy hairs now than before and that the ends look like they've been broken. So, the next experiment is a sleep cap to see if they will grow.

melusine963
October 15th, 2012, 02:01 AM
I ran out of my trusty cheap conditioner a month or two ago, so now I'm experimenting with Suave coconut. It doesn't detangle nearly as well, but that might be partly due to changes in water. Time will tell.

Ashlbee
October 15th, 2012, 08:01 PM
I don't know if its an experiment anymore since its been about a month and a half but I'm currently doing daily CO with Suave naturals with a clarify every couple of weeks or when it seems like it needs it, oiling ends with coconut or olive oil every now and again, and sleeping on a slik pillowcase.

The last 20 years were all typical sls and coney shampoo conditioner daily stuff so this routine still feels new.

Natalia
October 15th, 2012, 08:13 PM
I ran out of my trusty cheap conditioner a month or two ago, so now I'm experimenting with Suave coconut. It doesn't detangle nearly as well, but that might be partly due to changes in water. Time will tell.

Im currious what were you using before? Suave coconut is my go to for bad hair days so im hoping it will help my tangle issue but if your former worked better id check it out.

jacqueline101
October 15th, 2012, 08:14 PM
I'm mixing chi leave in its kinda oily and creme of nature and monistat as follows two squeezes of each added to 4 ounce dye bottle applied to scalp daily. Doing so to stimulate growth. Saturday for the first time used assie 3 minute miracle and loved it. I'm trying to find my right product combination.

blaketob
October 15th, 2012, 10:54 PM
I just recently went cone and sulfate free. I don't know yet if its really made any difference but I like the idea of using natural products that aren't harsh on the hair.

Natalia if you find any luck with something that works let me know! My hair has been so knotty lately as well :( I read about this product on ulta called primrose smooth detangler or something.. I might buy it because it got really good reviews

Audhumla
October 15th, 2012, 11:50 PM
I'm trying damp oiling as we speak.
I'm sick of my slight wave turning into mangy frizz for a day after I wash my hair and no other leave-in seems to so the trick :/

morrigan*
October 16th, 2012, 12:35 AM
I'm experiment with cassia and other herbs.

Lesiaoc
October 16th, 2012, 08:07 AM
I just did my first henna application, and I love it!

Today, I will be making castile shampoo. Problem: I have very hard water, and hard water plus soap equals soap scum on hair. So I did A LOT of research and I think I have found a recipe that will combat that problem. Wish me luck! If I'm successful I'll post it.

Natalia
October 16th, 2012, 11:37 PM
I just did my first henna application, and I love it!

Today, I will be making castile shampoo. Problem: I have very hard water, and hard water plus soap equals soap scum on hair. So I did A LOT of research and I think I have found a recipe that will combat that problem. Wish me luck! If I'm successful I'll post it.

Good luck and remember you can always add an acid rinse after.

piffyanne
October 17th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Whether wearing the occasional topknot will relieve the strain my scalp has been under recently. I used to get headaches from wearing them, so I've positioned it further forward, smack-dab in the center of my head, but slightly towards the front.

Weird thing, my neck reacts like my head is heaver than when I wear a bun at the base of my scalp. I've got extra tension building around the sides of my neck.

I am NOT impressed. :shrug:

melusine963
October 17th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Im currious what were you using before? Suave coconut is my go to for bad hair days so im hoping it will help my tangle issue but if your former worked better id check it out.

I was using a cheap drugstore brand from the UK: Boots Essential Conditioner. Sadly, I don't think it's sold in the US.

neko_kawaii
October 17th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I'm happy with my current cleaning routine. I am trying to learn new styles.

PossibleMermaid
October 17th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Just a basic CO every other night with oiling on the weekends. I've tried a bakingsoda rinse as well, which worked super well for me. Maybe that every Friday night before oiling? Idk, but my hair is looking awesome.

~honeyflower~
October 17th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Last week, I had finally found my jar of coconut oil! I began my experiment when I got home and since then I've found my mane feels about the same but it is less greasy compared to olive oil- both great oils by the way. Although my preference is I like how the coconut oil is solid and is easier to figure out, how much I want. I feel that my only jar will last a lot longer but the olive oil is much easier to find and very cheap. I like both! I cant decide.

Natalia
October 17th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I was using a cheap drugstore brand from the UK: Boots Essential Conditioner. Sadly, I don't think it's sold in the US.

Ah thanks for mentioning it though maybe it will be useful to someone else. I have seen a makeup line named boots here but i dont think its the same company.

I'm happy with my current cleaning routine. I am trying to learn new styles.

Oh yeah i went that route a few weeks ago its alot of fun. I forgot to check your stats before replying but have you tried the pha bun, helix bun, treble clef bun, or the kl knot?

Last week, I had finally found my jar of coconut oil! I began my experiment when I got home and since then I've found my mane feels about the same but it is less greasy compared to olive oil- both great oils by the way. Although my preference is I like how the coconut oil is solid and is easier to figure out, how much I want. I feel that my only jar will last a lot longer but the olive oil is much easier to find and very cheap. I like both! I cant decide.

Awesome :) just a warning on the coconut oil mine went bad very quickly after i missed a hair that fell in. Purple/grey moldy swirls not so cute so i suggest transfering some to a smaller container. It might not be as much of a problem since you appear to be in a cooler climate where it stays solid whereas mine melted and stayed that way. Not sure where you bought yours but with its growing popularity coconut oil can be found pretty cheap.

CurlyCap
October 17th, 2012, 09:55 PM
I'm trying to figure out how lazy I can be in my routine and still get wearable results. Right now I'm pretty indulgent with my routine because I have time to be so at night. However, in a few months I may be pulling double shifts. I need to greatly shorten my hair routine!

Wahinee
October 17th, 2012, 10:09 PM
seeing if there's anything I can do about my postpartum shedding.

neko_kawaii
October 18th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Oh yeah i went that route a few weeks ago its alot of fun. I forgot to check your stats before replying but have you tried the pha bun, helix bun, treble clef bun, or the kl knot?

You dirty rotten enabler. I don't know any of those. THANKS!

Natalia
October 18th, 2012, 06:14 AM
You dirty rotten enabler. I don't know any of those. THANKS!

Hahahahaha *rubs hands together in evil fashion* Youtube is wonderful!

Othala
October 18th, 2012, 06:21 AM
I am practising what I call a modified Victorian hair care routine.

I wash my hair with Castile soap and then am basically NW/SO (no water or sebum only) for 6 weeks.

At the sixth week I dye my hair with Henna+Amla and Indigo (2-step to get black), leave for 48 hours and then wash with the Castile soap. Wash again 48 hours later to get rid of any remaining Indigo residue and then NW/SO for the next 6 weeks.

I am massaging my scalp daily and distributing sebum through my hair. Also using a boar bristle brush to stimulate the scalp and spread sebum through my hair and putting my hair in one loose side braid before bedtime.

TMI: DH has a greasy scalp 24 hours after washing it so I have been known to wipe the ends of my hair on his scalp, exchanging bodily oils, LOL.

spookyghost
October 18th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Morrigan-please let me know thow the cassia and hers work for you. What are the herbs you are using and how do you use them?

In case you answer my question I just want to let you know that Im lucky if I can get on LHC once a day. So if I dont respond to your post its because I cant get on here. I think I had more problems than some. I know everyone couldnt get on LHC but my problems started before anyone was even mentioning it and when I finally got fed up and I decided to open up a thread about it the crash actually happened. I couldnt get on at all yesterday. I have been hanging out at TBB-which I love!

Anje
October 18th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Well, I cut bangs. By myself...

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with them, how best to style them, etc. Complicating this is the fact that the last time I had bangs, I was 10 years old and my mom required them to be above my eyebrows.

Lesiaoc
October 18th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Yes, I did need to use the acid rinse afterward. Even with the extra step, it is well worth it because my hair feels amazing. This might also be die toy first henna application that has now had the time to oxidize, or both!

Here's the recipe: I used half in order to fit it all in one of those cheap condiment bottles from Wal-Mart, which also work great for the acid rinse.

http://natural-beautyaddict.blogspot.com/2012/05/healthier-hair-with-home-made-shampoo.html?m=1

I squirted the shampoo on my scalp and massaged it in well then rinsed with water, followed by the acid rinse. then I applied my conditioner, left it on while I finished my shower, then used the last of the acid rinse on my scalp working it into the rest of my hair. Lastly, I rinsed one last time with water just enough to get the conditioner out.

jojo
October 19th, 2012, 02:09 AM
I am doing fortnightly gelatine treatments to try and retain my length. My hair hates winter and although winter is my growth spurt period, retaining it seems to be a problem. The protein treatments appear to be working in making my ends stronger, I finish with a neutrogena triple moisturising treatment. So far so good!

Lissandria
October 19th, 2012, 03:18 AM
My current experiment is to have my hair moderately to heavily oiled pretty much all the time. I am wearing it up all the time, so it doesn't matter if it appears oily.
Im trying to see if keeping it more heavily oiled will help keep spits at bay more than lightly "invisibly" oily. If I can keep split ends at bay maybe I can get past this stage of 23-24" I have been sitting at all year.

My other experiment is scalp massages. Every single day- I want to see how much I can increase my growth :)

I am also alternating between gelatine protein treatments, cassia/amla treatments and SMT treatments every wash- although that is not really an experiment as I know my hair likes all these things.

Arashi
October 19th, 2012, 03:52 AM
Curls.

I've become very tired of my natural straight-ish texture. Because of an awkward growth stage and these darned layers, most of the time it looks messy when it's loose, and I've also become tired of updos(which my hair also refuses to stay in lately... it's even spitting out my trusty amish pins). In addition, a massive resurgence in my love for vintage styling has given me a terrible desire to cut my hair, so I'm trying to play with it a bit. Rag curls, pin curls, foam roller curls... I'm trying it all.

ImperfectBrat
October 19th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I'm currently trying to find any sort of routine that helps me deal with a combo of pregnancy hair and seasonal weather change hair. No luck so far. :mad:

Loveisaverb
October 19th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Currently experimenting with no-poo for the past 3 weeks and playing it by ear

Natalia
October 19th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Curls.

I've become very tired of my natural straight-ish texture. Because of an awkward growth stage and these darned layers, most of the time it looks messy when it's loose, and I've also become tired of updos(which my hair also refuses to stay in lately... it's even spitting out my trusty amish pins). In addition, a massive resurgence in my love for vintage styling has given me a terrible desire to cut my hair, so I'm trying to play with it a bit. Rag curls, pin curls, foam roller curls... I'm trying it all.

With layers you might want to try baby socks on damp hair. Wrap your hair around he toe part making a tiny bun then secure it by pulling the ankle part over it. You can make as many as you want and your layers are less likeley to fall out.

AcornMystic
October 19th, 2012, 11:02 PM
With layers you might want to try baby socks on damp hair. Wrap your hair around he toe part making a tiny bun then secure it by pulling the ankle part over it. You can make as many as you want and your layers are less likeley to fall out.

That never even occured to me, what a delightful idea! Next thing you know when my hair is long enough to do these I may already have a babe and I'll be stealing his/her socks to make curls.

My husband: Um... are those <insert baby's name here> socks on your head.. in your hair? You got that from LHC, didn't you? *shakes head with a sigh of bewilderment*

Baha.. Actually there would probably be a laugh in there somewhere with a "Oh, I love you and your quirks..."

Anerways.. Well.. at this time, as of the past 2 weeks.. I have been experimenting with a new shampoo. Prairie Naturals Big Skies medicinal Tea Tree Shampoo. I have retired the rest of my baby shampoo for the dog and have decided on tea tree shampoo from the local health food store, free of sulphates, DEA, parabens etc.. advertised as such and contains lavendar biotin, sage, jojoba, all the good stuff. I read up on tea tree's anti-septic properties, eliminating bacteria and fungal nasties. In an attempt to cut down on hair care time, I was pretty excited. I wanted a replacement for Monistat treatments, since sifting through all my hair every 3 days and having to massage it in was just becoming very time consuming and I didn't look forward to it. I have noticed baby hairs pop up around my hairline though because of it so I'd like to keep on this. I also remember the smell of tea tree being quite pleasant in its own way. The first time I used it my hair felt phenomenal... I felt the hair I used to have when I was a kid.. the hair I have been striving for! I think this product is pretty much out of the experimental phase and a solid shampoo for me, even for the little time I've been using it. My hair responds beautifully.

I'm sure the conditioner I've been using helps. I don't know if I'd call it so much an experiment as I've been using it for about a month and a half now with the baby shampoo I was using and I'm pretty satisfied, but I do feel I could possibly do better. I want to find my optimal hair combination. That stuff though.. woo-wee.. Spa-Haus Salon.. Silkience brand.. You can look it up to see all its ingredients, but a few things it contains is aloe leaf juice, avocado oil, jojoba, and olive oil. I got it at the dollar store and it is wayyyy better than any expensive brands I've tried. Plus it comes in a pretty nice hefty bottle. I will admit though, after speaking to Indigo Girl though, once it runs out I am convinced on trying Biolage Conditioning Balm. The stuff is 20 odd something dollars, but if you look at her hair you will see why it's worth it. *wink* :P I mean, if it works for me, awesome.

Other than those the biggest experiment I have been toying with is honey water leave-in. Now.. I've tried this before.. not long after joining LHC and it was a disaster... sticky hair and a good while under the shower head to get it all out and stop from sticking to everything... I'm finding the right ratios of water to honey and I know to microwave it now to destroy the bleaching properties. I also have a mist bottle and am not trying to dunk my head in a container of it like a bafoon. So far it is working out amazingly. Who'd have thought that something so sticky could help to make hair that much more slippery smooth.. I probably have a lot ot owe to honey for the hair I had when I was younger. The humectant properties of the honey is probably helping to imitate the hair I had when I was younger; a much more superior hair structure with the ability to retain moisture. That is quite unlike my hair now. lol Washing my hair less would probably help too, but I just can't bring myself to wash my hair once a week as I did when I was a kid out of financial necessity. Gar.. "Remember AcornMystic... you are using a shampoo with oils now etc... gentle stuff." :P

Anerways, that's about it. My hair is feeling better than it has in a long time. It can only get better from here. ^.^

Natalia
October 20th, 2012, 12:46 AM
That never even occured to me, what a delightful idea! Next thing you know when my hair is long enough to do these I may already have a babe and I'll be stealing his/her socks to make curls.

My husband: Um... are those <insert baby's name here> socks on your head.. in your hair? You got that from LHC, didn't you? *shakes head with a sigh of bewilderment*

Baha.. Actually there would probably be a laugh in there somewhere with a "Oh, I love you and your quirks..."

Awww that mental picture is adorable! Good luck with your tto experiment and im glad you found a product you like :). Btw if you have a sally beauty they make a knock off of biolage thats popular and cheaper. I used to do honey rinses and i loved them just go to annoying to cart everything back and forth from the shared bathroom. Glad your making it work for you :).

proo
October 23rd, 2012, 04:50 AM
Headband curls with 2 headbands -
one for crown hair and one for underneath.

SwordWomanRiona
October 23rd, 2012, 04:51 AM
Jojoba oil scalp treatments, to see if it really regulates the sebum production.

Luminaria
October 24th, 2012, 03:17 AM
I'm trying different no poo methods and protective styles. Also ways to defrizz and define curls.

lostchyld
October 24th, 2012, 09:21 AM
I've got a couple.

Primarily, I'm working on not letting my hair dry loose. Also, I did a bun last night without a towel after squeezing out the worst of the drips and adding conditioner. Then I braided before bed and added more conditioner this morning when I restyled my still damp hair. I'm trying to recover from the straw effect this summer had while I was being too lazy to do more than a ponytail.

Second, I'm researching homemade rinse out conditioners. If I can make one that rinses out satisfactorily, I think I can get by with scalp massages and infrequent exfoliation because my hair lets go of oils easily. The exfoliation is to keep my scalp in line without stripping my hair, which is becoming a difficult balance to maintain. I think my water isn't helping either because my skin is as crabby as my hair.

DreadfulWoman
October 24th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I've been tinkering with my wash routine since the weather got cool. Normally I have 2 washes a week, 1 CO and 1 S&C. I've replaced the S&C with a CO every other week, so I'm only shampooing every 2 weeks now. So far so good.

millyaulait
October 24th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Trying out new hairstyles, and finding the perfect dark chocolate brown hair dye. :)

Nebulae
October 24th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I will start over with spraying rooibos tea on my scalp. I tried for a while but couldn't surely notice any extra growth (I already had quite a bit of growth since I dyed my hair last time, so it was hard to tell and I hadn't measured). I hope this time I can definately tell if it gives me extra growth or not since I recently used henna. I did notice however that it solved my dry, itchy scalp issue (yay!) - I had tried both oiling with coconut oil and scrubbing with an oat/sugar scrub but it didn't last many days before returning. After starting with the rooibos it steadily decreased and after my henna application I havent sprayed it at all and no dry scalp yet :thumbsup: However I'm starting to think my shedding was also lessened by the roobios treatment, and it was really refreshing to spray onto the scalp. I will brew a new batch tomorrow!
I steep one "ball" of tea (I buy in bulk, it's cheaper than bags) in a big cup with freshly boiled water and leave it there until it has cooled, which takes a few hours. Then pour into an old spray leave-in conditioner bottle and store in the fridge. I spray every evening before I put my hair up and go to sleep.

I'm also trying out different methods to style my hair without heat. :D

akilina
October 24th, 2012, 07:37 PM
New experiment is not obsessing, and total ignore-ation (not a word.)
Its going great. Also, NO TRIMMING!! :D
Since lhc has been up and down I've been avoiding my hair too. Its working well and I finally feel like my hair is growing.

theemeraldskull
October 24th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Seeing if I can get to the middling area between TB and Classic, and trying out an egg/honey wash every two weeks. (has been pretty amazing so far!) Also, my new bristle brush has seemed to be keeping my hair soft/shiny. :-)

dragonfly90
October 29th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Monistat! Biotin, and Biosil

Vampyria
October 29th, 2012, 12:10 PM
I've bought my first sulfate free shampoo. I haven't use a shampoo with SLS or SLS for two years, but I have used a shampoo with sodium coco sulfate. I've just washed it, and it cleaned well and my hair didn't shed or tangle more during the washing, plus it's pretty soft, so there is not that much difference. I think that the scalp flakes much less though. I'm also glad that one shampooing was enough.

I'm also trying everything to reduce the shedding. I started taking vitamin D (I pretty much avoid the sun) and MSM a while ago, and I think it got a bit better. I also started with black tea rinses recently, so I can't see the difference yet.

gillybeanxo3921
October 29th, 2012, 12:30 PM
I don't have a current experiment, but I'm dying to try argan oil. If I don't get any soon, I'm for sure getting some for Christmas.

LadyLongLocks
October 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Trimming any new growth every 2 months now that I am at my goal.

one_fine_lady
October 29th, 2012, 01:22 PM
My current routine:
I switched to an all natural sea salt based shampoo about 3 months ago and it does wonders. My conditioner is lemon oil rosemary based it is super light weight (all cone free).

Since I have switched to all natural products that balance my scalp (rather than just strip everything away) I have been able to go from every day washing to every other day and sometimes even washing on the third day (my ends are very thankful). Massaging my scalp daily under hot water to break up the oils and sebum really helps too (and feels great).

What I have been experimenting with lately is Coconut Oil. I've been putting the stuff on my ends and leaving it there for about 10 min before I shampoo my hair. WOW. It has done wonders for my ends. The first time I tried it, I went to class that day and got the ultimate compliment - "Did you get a haircut? Your hair looks so fresh!"

The coconut oil really adds that extra protection and moisturizer and it comes out without a problem with my shampoo.

The experiment was a success! :D

rock007junkie
November 18th, 2012, 02:47 PM
My current experiment is heavy scalp oilings with mustard oil. It's supposed to help with growth. Another plus I've seen is that it has completely cleared out any scalp issues i had. Liking it so far.