PDA

View Full Version : Just Henna Indigo fingers are black when rubbing scalp

Pink131980
August 17th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Hi gals,
I really really hate to do this as my first post, but the site is not loading for me, it wont let me do searches and will barely let me read posts.
I'll get to the point: I used henna then indigo on my hair yesterday (my second time using it, I love it much better than chemical dyes) and rinsed the heck out of it. When it dried my fingers still turned blackish when I'd rub the scalp, I rinsed it this morning and noticed some reddish water coming out, I assumed I missed some spots yesterday when I was rinsing...but I still wasn't able to get all the 'black dust out'. I finally sat down with a BBB and a comb and brushed it for about ten minutes, that seemed to loosen some of it up, but are there any suggestions ya'll have to help get rid of the dust? It turns my pillows black, lol.
Thanks!

Tai Shan Fan
August 18th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I've had this, only I found it turned my fingers blue :D and why I call it 'smurf syndrome'. I prevent it by altering my washing out method. After using indigo I CO three times then use a shampoo bar and finally an very weak apple cidar vinegar rinse (to correct the ph of my scalp after using the alkaline soapy shampoo bar and arguably to fix the dye.)

Yes, it's a faff, but I don't get residue problems now at all such as blue fingers, pillow etc or itchy scalp.

I'd check out Nightshade's henna article, which describes more exactly how to use conditioner to help get out residue.

Hope that helps. I find spending a bit more time with clean-up means I can forget about my hair until it's time to henna/indigo again.

Iylivarae
August 18th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I think that a part of the colour staying on your scalp is caused by coloured skin cells. If you then rub over your scalp, some of them are coming off and sticking to your fingers, so they can become blue.

CopperHead
August 18th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I get red colored water the first few times I wash after a henna. I think it is mostly just the residue that didn't come out with the CO. It does stop after a few washes. I always use an old pillowcase or towel to sleep on right after a henna.

Pink131980
August 23rd, 2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks for you answers gals! Sorry it took me ages to respond, I couldn't remember my password at work. The blue black has pretty much gone away, I did lots of brushing and washed my hair like normal...oh and I love the color it made mixed with my natural hair color, it's not so much dark black like before when used over chemical dye, but it's a dark brownish red black...I love it :D

Thanks for the tips again, I will totally try them the next time :)