PDA

View Full Version : My son's hair...

SarieQ
March 17th, 2008, 10:01 AM
My son has been growing his hair for a while now. He hasn't wanted me to put it back as he thought that would look too girly. I've shown him pictures of the guys on here with their hair in different styles. Finally this morning, he relented and asked for it to be up, but he insisted on a black hair band! I also got to measure his pony circumference, thinking he'd have about four inches of hair. Ends up it's not much thicker than mine, which is so exciting for me because I've always loved his hair and now I find mine is not that much thinner than his! :cheese:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1219/daddyleaving0552hn0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

He was excited that the pony showed off his blue tips that we did in his light blond hair with indigo several months ago.

I really hope kids don't make fun of him today, as you know how kids can be. He looks really nice like this and he's needed to have his hair pulled back out of his face.

Islandgrrl
March 17th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Sarie, wow he has nice hair! How old is your son (make sure you bring lots of kid pictures to the meet on Saturday!!!)?

Love the blue ends!!!

spidermom
March 17th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Wow; your son does have very nice hair. I love the color and the blue tips. I thought he had henna-ed. With that color, I'm glad he didn't.

SarieQ
March 17th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Islandgrrl, he's eight. I might be bringing them to the meet because oldest DD wants to meet everyone too. I was hoping she'd like to babysit for me! LOL If I can convince her, I'll bring lots of pics!

Spidermom, only my two girls henna. He had wanted black tips, but I was stupid and didn't henna his ends first. I love the blue color that it gave him. I wish my hair was blond so I could put in blue streaks!

All of my kids have different hair. It's amazing to see the variations that can occur from parents with two different hair types. DH has 1b/M/ii/iii hair. My oldest son was the luckiest recipient of 2c/m/c/iii hair!!! (not fair that the boy in the family who wants buzz cuts would have such nice hair!) My youngest boy (in the pic) has the softest hair in the family.

Neon Gloss
March 17th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I'm loving his hair! Every long-haired guy I've seen in person has very grungy, stringy looking hair... But your son's seems great! =)

Shadow Walker
March 17th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Good for your son, and good for you SarieQ for encouraging him! He's got a good head of hair, and hopefully he'll want to keep it growing.

SarieQ
March 17th, 2008, 03:52 PM
He just came home from school. He said that some kids laughed and said he looked like a girl, but he has a personality to where he just doens't care what others think. Most kids, he said, were saying "Wow, look at his hair!" He plans to wear it up again tomorrow!

Shadow Walker, I'm so glad another long haired guy came in to give encouragement. I read what everyone posted to him and he was really happy that another guy had something to say too! Thank you!

Jason
March 17th, 2008, 03:58 PM
SarieQ - this is just so awesome! First off, he has beautiful hair and it looks so good long. Second, that you allow and encourage him to grow it long! Wish I had that as a child.
I think there will be plenty of kids envious of it along with the teasers. I'm sure he'll see it's worth putting up with a bit of teasing to sport such wonderful locks.

jojo
March 17th, 2008, 04:12 PM
oh what beautiful hair, hope he grows it really long it will look fantastic

david
March 17th, 2008, 06:14 PM
He just came home from school. He said that some kids laughed and said he looked like a girl, but he has a personality to where he just doens't care what others think. Most kids, he said, were saying "Wow, look at his hair!" He plans to wear it up again tomorrow!

Hey, thats cool that he plans to contiue to wear his hair how he likes. The kids that had negative comments were probably just jealous or just used to seeing him with his hair down. I remember the first time I wore my hair in a ponytail, everyone that knew me was taken by suprise a bit. I dont know what it was about it, but they knew how long my hair was...perhaps people just get used to seeing you a certain way and are not used to change. Ever since I have grown in confidence and now wear my hair how I want (braid/plait etc) and I get great comments. You can see how long my hair is in my avatar.

Well done :)

coppercurls
March 17th, 2008, 08:30 PM
His hair beautiful. I hope he continues to grow it out.

tiny_teesha
March 20th, 2008, 05:01 AM
the indigo in his hair looks awesome. I think he looks good like that. My cousin has hair about BSL-Waist and he braids it every day. Blokes can tie their hair up!!!
Your son has such character to block out what those jealous bullies said! I admire him!
I wish i had his hair it looks really soft and healthy and i love the colour!
I think you are a great mum to support him on his hair growing journey too. I'm trying to convince my family to grow their hair, they think i'm nuts!!!

FrannyG
March 20th, 2008, 05:49 AM
I love it when kids have the desire to have their own style even at a young age. It's even more impressive when the mother encourages it.

That's what's given him the confidence to shrug off the naysayers. Well done, SarieQ, and your son has great hair! :flowers:

DavidN
March 20th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Thank you, SarieQ, for sharing, and your son has outstanding hair in great condition. I am delighted that you are encouraging him to grow it long too!:cheer:

Laululintu
March 20th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Your son has gorgeous hair SarieQ, much like his mother :D

AutumnLeaves
March 20th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Wow! Look at the beautiful head of blonde hair! I like the blue tips!

SarieQ
April 20th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Thank you for all the compliments, everyone. He is so happy to hear what all the LHC members had to say!

Loviatar
April 20th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Oh, too cute!

If he asks, you can tell him I said 'too cool'! LOL.

He has a fantastic colour and it looks in really good condition. I love the blue ends!

psvzum
April 20th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Your son's hair is beautiful. If I had a little boy, I'd encourage him to grow it long too : )

TammySue
April 20th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Oh, I love it and it looks totally cool! :cheese:

Druid of Alba
April 20th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I'm so happy to hear about mothers allowing their sons to have long hair :)! Good work! And I am sure it looks great, and if kids tease him, they are probably just jealous that their mothers won't let them have awesome long hair! :):)

EdG
April 20th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Your son is very cool. And so is his mom!

It's great that you're allowing him to make his own choices about appearance, and giving him encouragement. :joy:

I wish I had parents like that!
Ed

Shadow Walker
April 20th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Thank you for all the compliments, everyone. He is so happy to hear what all the LHC members had to say!

If he ever gets discouraged with his hair, you send him our way.

kate46
April 21st, 2008, 10:42 AM
I think it's just great that you encourage your son to wear his hair as he pleases :) Looks lovely!

My youngest DS is the only one in the family with strong thick hair, when he was about your DS's age he wanted it short, really short, so I let him, he got banned from school for a few days because they said it was too short :rolleyes: now at 26yrs he has beautifully thick shiny WL dreadlocks but still faces prejudice on a daily basis, however he doesn't care, he is happy and wears his dreadlocks proudly :).

What is important to me is not how he wears his hair but that he is how he wants to be, you seem to have the same idea :cool:

sahasralah
April 21st, 2008, 12:59 PM
Your son's hair looks cool like that. Way to go with encouraging him.

It's good that he was able to shrug off the comments. He'll project confidence and maybe that will give a classmate or someone else the courage to try it to, if they are wanting to.

SarieQ
April 21st, 2008, 01:56 PM
Thank you again, everyone! Wow! I can't until he's home from school so he can see all the new posts!

ShadowWalker--I will definately send him here if he gets discouraged! There is just a wealth of support here. Thank you!

Kate46--I love your avator! I can't believe he was sent home for it being too short! That's crazy! My oldest son (11) has the thickest nicest hair in the family 2c/MC/iii! He wants it maintained in a navy spects sort of buzz cut! It's really sad, but I let him have his hair as he wants too. It's kind of funny buzzing Daddy's for the military and then doing oldest Ds's the same!

EdG--WoW! Your hair is cool! Fantastic length!

Sahasrahla--I love that he doesn't get beaten down by others. My oldest two are too sensitive for their own good. It was nice to get a thick-skinned kid! He just looks at the person making fun of him and starts laughing to where it ends up being the other person made fun of in the end! It's really commical to watch! LOL Wish I'd had that knack when I was his age!

tomm
April 22nd, 2008, 08:32 AM
Your son's hair looks just wonderful - and so good pulled back! Please pass my congratulations to him!

How wonderful you are to be so supportive and helpful to him!

SarieQ
April 23rd, 2008, 11:36 AM
Your son's hair looks just wonderful - and so good pulled back! Please pass my congratulations to him!

How wonderful you are to be so supportive and helpful to him!

Thank you, Tomm, and I'll pass the compliment along to him! I love your spirals!

lora410
April 23rd, 2008, 11:53 AM
Well good for him for not caring about the teasing. Kids are just so mean these days and thats mainly becuase they lack discipline at home if you ask me. A huge congrats to your son :flower:

EdG
April 23rd, 2008, 12:27 PM
EdG--WoW! Your hair is cool! Fantastic length!Thank you SarieQ! :)
Ed

SarieQ
April 24th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Thank you SarieQ! :)
Ed

Hey, it's hair like yours that inspires us all! :)

tomm
April 24th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Thank you, Tomm, and I'll pass the compliment along to him! I love your spirals!
Thank you so much! My mother says that my hair looks like it did when I was a baby - I am so glad the curls still are there!

SarieQ
April 24th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Well good for him for not caring about the teasing. Kids are just so mean these days and thats mainly becuase they lack discipline at home if you ask me. A huge congrats to your son :flower:

Yes it's terrible how kids are these days, and I thought it was bad back in my day. I try to teach my kids to have manners and respect for adults and authority. I really feel for my kids to have all these rowdy one's for peers. My husband (who's in the military) has the problem of all these little eighteen year old kids who are fresh to the military and dealing with discipline for the first time in their lives. It's not pretty!

My boys got picked on by a bully on the walk home from school yesterday. My youngest doesn't care much, but my oldest DS (11) does. The bully was picking on youngest DS because of his hair and high pitched voice (he's 8, he's gunna have a high pitched voice!), and the kid is in the same class as oldest DS. I was really proud of him for standing up for his little brother by yelling back at him. Then the bully kicked my oldest in the back of the leg. I really wish they'd banded together then and put this kid in his place. The kid probably won't leave them alone now because he attacked and they didn't fight back. My oldest said he didn't want to fight back because the kid is bigger and I explained that the two of them together had more power to defend themselves against him. I'm not like most moms who don't want the kids to fight. I won't have my kids starting fights or being bullies themselves. However, I figure one good time of fighting back shows that they're not gunna take the crap and the bully will move on to someone else who will. :luke: I believe that standing up for yourself is something that should be taught and encouraged. Not always in terms of fighting, but when attacked there's no other alternative than to defend one's self.

I told the boys that the kid is probably jealous because his momma won't let him have long hair! :p

SarieQ
April 24th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Thank you so much! My mother says that my hair looks like it did when I was a baby - I am so glad the curls still are there!

That's cool that they haven't straightened out with age. I have always wanted ringlets like that!