PDA

View Full Version : Cone-free and protein free

JasmineDaisy
March 17th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Does anybody know of any good cone-free conditioners that doesn't contain protein? My hair doesn't like protein everyday and I want to switch back to cone free. Please help me. Thanks!

BlndeInDisguise
March 17th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Suave Naturals doesn't have cones or protein--it's cheap, too! :p

JasmineDaisy
March 17th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Hmm I am not sure which Suave Naturals doesn't contain protein. I have tried the coconut and warm vanilla sugar and they both make my hair feel like straw.

ole gray mare
March 17th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Maybe it's not protein that your hair objects to, because I don't think there is protein in the Suave naturals:

For example...

Ingredients for Suave Toasted Vanilla and Sugar conditioner:

Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Potassium Chloride, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Silk Powder, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitmain E Acetate), Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Vanilla Planifolia Extract (Vanilla Planifolia), Sweet Almond Extract (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis), Orange 4 (CI 15510)

akurah
March 17th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Most products with protein ingredients will actually have the word "protein" as part of the ingredient (ie, "hydrolized silk protein").

Hydrolized is also another key word to look out for--protein molecules are typically too large to be of any use to hair, so they're hydrolized to break them up and make them smaller.

Just a tip to help you pick out protein free conditioners by looking at the ingredients.

(I'm not a protein guru, but "silk powder" makes me wonder if it is a protein? I'm curious about that...)

redcelticcurls
March 17th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Maybe it's not protein that your hair objects to, because I don't think there is protein in the Suave naturals:

For example...

Ingredients for Suave Toasted Vanilla and Sugar conditioner:

Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Potassium Chloride, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Silk Powder, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitmain E Acetate), Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Vanilla Planifolia Extract (Vanilla Planifolia), Sweet Almond Extract (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis), Orange 4 (CI 15510)

There's your protein

JasmineDaisy
March 17th, 2008, 03:49 PM
There's your protein

Yep. I knew it had protein in it. Every time I use that conditioner it makes my hair knotty, unmanageable, and it breaks off. I am certain that my hair doesn't respond well to protein because I have used other shampoos and conditioners with protein in it and it always makes my hair a total mess.

redcelticcurls
March 17th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I don't have drugstore options, but Aubrey Organics has some protein free stuff. I personally like the Honeysuckle Rose, but the White Camelia is protein free too. I know that both are cone free.

The do have ingredients lists on their website so you can look at a conditioner that suits your hair.

rhosyn_du
March 17th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Whole Foods 365 conditioner is protein and cone free, and they also just started making an unscented version, which is a big selling point for me. It's a fairly light conditioner, but it's great for CO, and it's the best conditioner I've ever found for SMTs.

For a heavier conditioner, I really like Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose.

JasmineDaisy
March 18th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Do ya'll think that Aubrey Organics conditioner would be good for CO?

rhubarbarin
March 18th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

What are these? I am suspicious of anythng ending in -one.

Do ya'll think that Aubrey Organics conditioner would be good for CO?

I use AO Honeysuckle Rose for washing and detangling.. it works great for me, reduces my shedding. About every four or five washes though I switch to something else cause I start to get a little greasy.

I also use Burt's Bees Green Tea and Grapefruit conditioners.. they are both cone and protein free.

Elfling
March 18th, 2008, 01:30 PM
What are these? I am suspicious of anythng ending in -one.

I use AO Honeysuckle Rose for washing and detangling.. it works great for me, reduces my shedding. About every four or five washes though I switch to something else cause I start to get a little greasy.

I also use Burt's Bees Green Tea and Grapefruit conditioners.. they are both cone and protein free.

It's -cone (except for the weird ones that don't end in -cone at all, heh) that I think you're thinking of. Methylchloroisothiazolinone and methylisothiazolinone are preservatives.

JasmineDaisy
March 18th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I am going to try Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose for CO. I have tried Burt Bee's Grapefruit Conditioner before and it made my hair difficult to comb, but maybe I will try it again.

Ok now I have another question, does anyone have any recommendations for a good leave in that is cone and protein free?

girlcat36
March 18th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I am using Goth Rosary conditioner right now. I use it as a leave-in. It is pretty bare-bones as far as ingredients go. No protein, no cones, no sulfates, no alcohol. The drawbacks--it has to be ordered online and is ridiculously expensive for just an 8 oz. bottle.
I am finding out that my hair dislikes a lot of extra ingredients.

tiny_teesha
March 25th, 2008, 04:44 AM
soya and wheat are proteins too

lookingglass
May 10th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I am going to try Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose for CO. I have tried Burt Bee's Grapefruit Conditioner before and it made my hair difficult to comb, but maybe I will try it again.

Ok now I have another question, does anyone have any recommendations for a good leave in that is cone and protein free?

I'm using the Honeysuckle Rose as a leave in, but my hair is really thick, curly, and a bit course.

For CO I like VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea, SKR, and Jasmine Aloe (no protein, no cones).

Kirin
May 12th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Protein is a bugger of an ingredient, and hides in a lot of stuff. My hair totally hates it, with a passion, as well as silicones. I've yet to find something that truly really and better yet, affordably, doesnt have either in it.

if a product says it "strengthens" hair, bet your bottom dollar it has protein in it. Also be wary of anything that says Silk, Soy, Wheat, or satin. And avoid like the plague, Panthenol!