PDA

View Full Version : - Seaweed is AMAZING for my hair !

RedheadMistress
October 13th, 2012, 04:32 PM
- So someone I know asked if I wanted some organic seaweed she couldn't sell anymore, I said yes and took it home . .
Boiled water, added like 2 pints of boiling water to a handfull of seaweed, used my handblender, then let it sit in my room for an hour .

Then I did my usual SMT in the shower and when my hair was just damp, I took a cup of the mix, after putting it through a siv, and massaged this seaweed water into my hair, let it dry like normal and OH MY GOTH, my hair is not frizzy anymore, it's smooth, slick, AMAZING and doesn't smell like ocean (according to friend) and apprently just smells like what I mixed in my SMT .

Wow !

(yes this is what I do when LHC is down and I dont have internet; i experiment !)
SO when I got the chance I checked online, made a Seaweed conditioner with mineral oil and coconut oil and a bit of lavender essential oil (I dont have a lot of fancy oils), blended that together, it turns white, and I keep it in my fridge .
I havent used the conditioner yet but the leave in (which was just seaweed mixed with boiling water!!) is brilliant so I think the conditioner will be too . . :D
Might even use my homemade condish as a leave in, who knows !

Oh and I found a thing on a site that said seaweed is great for fine haired people and I so agree, I dont even have fine hair but this leave in made my hair look like a mane, I cant rant about this enough !
Made it hard to gather all my luscious thick hair . . damn !!

Everyone should try this, I'm going go to pick some seaweed in Sweden on a nice clean beach and dry it out and try this . . not trying the nasty Thames seaweed we have in London hahaah !

ravenreed
October 13th, 2012, 04:37 PM
What kind of seaweed was it? I have been thinking of trying some myself.

maborosi
October 13th, 2012, 04:44 PM
I've heard of seaweed being good for hair, and especially good for volumizing thin hair. I'm not sure what's in it that would be beneficial, though. Maybe someone else can chime in, too?

~maborosi~

Bianca
October 13th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Sounds interesting :)

Times like this we need ktani to find out all about seaweed and what it does exactly :p

jellycatty
October 13th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Is it seaweed specifically for hair? I'd rather eat it than put it in my hair to be honest. :'3

Arashi
October 13th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Very interesting to know!

I've been curious about seaweed for hair ever since reading a classic Japanese novel earlier this year. In it a character is described as having washed her hair with seaweed. I immediately thought of the LHC when I read it and have been wondering what, if any effect it would have from a LHC viewpoint.

It would be interesting to see the results of more people willing to experiment with it. :eyebrows:

MrsGuther
October 13th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Wow! That's awesome! My husband buys seaweed to eat when he buys Korean food. Next time I might have to snag some from him and try a seaweed treatment in my hair! :)

spidermom
October 13th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I'm not surprised. My favorite conditioner had kelp. Unfortunately, it has been discontinued. Boo!

RedheadMistress
October 13th, 2012, 06:36 PM
What kind of seaweed was it? I have been thinking of trying some myself.

- I'm not sure what kind, it just came in tiny plastic bags, I can ask about it . . but I think any seaweed from a non polluted water is fine, you probably don't need to buy it, unless you don't live near a beach . .

I'm definitely going to try foraging swedish seaweed and try the same thing !

The seaweed was half dry, with crystals of seasalt on the really dry bits .

RedheadMistress
October 13th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Is it seaweed specifically for hair? I'd rather eat it than put it in my hair to be honest. :'3

- Nope, I think people mainly eat it . It's just half dry normal seaweed . .
It's dark green, has salt crystals on the really dry bits . . it hasn't been tampered with like seaweed for sushi but I imagine all kinds of seaweed being good for hair, as long as they get slimey and make the water feel like it has some slip when it gets wet. .

This and SMT's are going to be my every hairwash routine thing . . aaah .

RedheadMistress
October 13th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Very interesting to know!

I've been curious about seaweed for hair ever since reading a classic Japanese novel earlier this year. In it a character is described as having washed her hair with seaweed. I immediately thought of the LHC when I read it and have been wondering what, if any effect it would have from a LHC viewpoint.

It would be interesting to see the results of more people willing to experiment with it. :eyebrows:

- YES and next time I use it I have to take pics and show everyone ! It's like magic, if anyone has thin hair and complain I am going to suggest this, it's . . just wow .
I actually saved the bits I sivved, the chunky seaweed and next time i have a bath I'm going to make a little deep treatment with those bits !

RedheadMistress
October 13th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Wow! That's awesome! My husband buys seaweed to eat when he buys Korean food. Next time I might have to snag some from him and try a seaweed treatment in my hair! :)

- Go for it !
Let us know how it goes ! :D

RedheadMistress
October 13th, 2012, 06:56 PM
I'm not surprised. My favorite conditioner had kelp. Unfortunately, it has been discontinued. Boo!

Make it yourself maybe ?
If this conditioner I made is any good, it's the only conditioner I want to use . . unless I experiment and make more ones . . <.<

teela1978
October 13th, 2012, 07:57 PM
I would guess its the protein that's making you so happy :)

gruaig galanta
August 21st, 2013, 04:31 PM
I would guess its the protein that's making you so happy :)

hello everyone, i live near a beach and today, i gathered seaweed, when i got home i washed it in the bath and took out most of it and bathed in the rest, washing my hair with a tiny bit of baby shampoo. I feel great, de-stressed and my hair feels thicker and clean. I have thin hair but i am working on accepting what i have.

A seaweed bath is very theraputic, people pay lots of money to have seaweed baths in spas, i used to buy seaweed powder in the co-op and add it to the bath, but in an effort to save money and connect more with nature, i collected it. I may dry it and whizz it in the food processor. I am also trying to dry kelp and replace the kombu from the health shop.

I wonder would it be good to add seaweed powder to a shampoo or conditioner.

i also add seaweed to the compost bin it really helps it break down.

leslissocool
August 21st, 2013, 04:35 PM
I eat a lot of it, it's a great source of iron. This is something I want to try for sure!

ravenreed
August 21st, 2013, 04:38 PM
I have some dulse that I have used in my hair. The only downside is that I have to use it as a pre-treatment before shampooing as I get some wicked buildup. However, my hair feels amazing afterwards.

Vrindi
August 21st, 2013, 05:15 PM
hello everyone, i live near a beach and today, i gathered seaweed, when i got home i washed it in the bath and took out most of it and bathed in the rest, washing my hair with a tiny bit of baby shampoo. I feel great, de-stressed and my hair feels thicker and clean. I have thin hair but i am working on accepting what i have.

A seaweed bath is very theraputic, people pay lots of money to have seaweed baths in spas, i used to buy seaweed powder in the co-op and add it to the bath, but in an effort to save money and connect more with nature, i collected it. I may dry it and whizz it in the food processor. I am also trying to dry kelp and replace the kombu from the health shop.

I wonder would it be good to add seaweed powder to a shampoo or conditioner.

i also add seaweed to the compost bin it really helps it break down.

You are making me miss the ocean SO badly! I love the desert, but I hope I'm not here much longer. I want to walk on the beach and collect my own seaweed. :( I think I may be a selchie changeling. I need ocean.

massivecnqstdr
August 21st, 2013, 05:34 PM
You are making me miss the ocean SO badly! I love the desert, but I hope I'm not here much longer. I want to walk on the beach and collect my own seaweed. :( I think I may be a selchie changeling. I need ocean.

Same! I've never lived super close to the beach, but I've lived an hour away. Now I'm in Kansas! Definitely NO seaweed to be found here, except at the health food store. Collecting it sounds really fun.

FancyCatRachel
August 21st, 2013, 05:48 PM
Seaweed is great for you internally and externally. I always eat it since of course living in a korean household. I guess that is why everyone compliments the hair in my family :)

Natalia
August 21st, 2013, 05:54 PM
Cool! Ived used it in face masks but not on my hair, will have to add it to the list

Shizuku
August 21st, 2013, 05:57 PM
I'm definitely trying this out! I live right near the ocean, but never go in because it's FILLED with seaweed! Looks like I have a use for it now. :P

Hairitic
August 22nd, 2013, 10:45 AM
I'm going to the shore this weekend. I'll be gathering some seaweed for sure! My hair is relatively fine and thin so I look forward to trying this out. Thanks for posting about this great discovery ;)

meteor
August 22nd, 2013, 12:58 PM
Thank you very much for this informative thread! :)
I LOVE sea kelp bioferment and use it on both face and scalp with great results. However, it's pretty expensive and not easily available. Seaweed sounds like a much healthier, fresher and cheaper version.
Unfortunately, I can't take really slimy stuff like seaweed from the water. I would really like to try the dried out stuff though.

Wildcat Diva
August 22nd, 2013, 01:09 PM
So this is the secret to mermaid hair all along!

Leeloo
August 22nd, 2013, 01:56 PM
I’ve never heard of seaweed rinse before and will have to try it out! Thanks for posting.

The homemade conditioner that you made you said you put mineral oil in it. I’m not sure but I thought that mineral oil coats the hair and not let any other great ingredients touch your hair.

spirals
August 24th, 2013, 02:16 AM
I normally use marshmallow root for slip, but maybe I should add kelp. I have kelp powder laying around.

jacqueline101
August 24th, 2013, 08:52 AM
They claim Aussie has sea weed in it. I know the deep conditioner has a coconut smell.

spirals
August 25th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Freeman makes a couple of conditioners with either seaweed or kelp.

Hairitic
August 25th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Well, I gathered some seaweed at the beach on Fri night and will take it home tomorrow. I hope this kind works as well for me as yours did for you. Looking forward to trying it out. :applause

PolarCathy
August 25th, 2013, 02:46 PM
I need to try this, except the water is really, really cold up here on the Arctic Circle, LOL. But I'll do anything for the hair...

PolarCathy
August 25th, 2013, 04:45 PM
I just bought some dried seaweed supplement meant for horses. Amazon UK. Easier for me as I really don't want to dig in cold arctic water. Brrrrrr

grungy haze
August 25th, 2013, 07:00 PM
I've never used seaweed directly on my hair but I eat nori daily. I can't really say if it makes a difference in my growth but it's loaded with nutrition and I love the taste of it.

Wildcat Diva
August 25th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Powdered Kelp oughta do the trick, right? 8 bucks for a pound on amazon. Add on item with free shipping.

spirals
August 25th, 2013, 10:42 PM
http://www.herbco.com/search.aspx?searchterm=kelp

mbondare
August 25th, 2013, 10:56 PM
http://www.herbco.com/search.aspx?searchterm=kelp
Thanks so much for that link!
I have fine and thin hair so I'm very excited to try this out and get some more volume!

spirals
August 25th, 2013, 11:16 PM
They have the best price I've found on marshmallow root also. You can make detangler with that.

Wildcat Diva
August 28th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Ok, my powered kelp came in, now I just need to refresh my memory what I'm supposed to do with it exactly! Let me reread the OP to get an idea. wash out, leave in? Mix with CO? hmmmmmm.

PolarCathy
August 28th, 2013, 04:48 PM
You're supposed to cram it in an envelope and ship it to Sweden.

Ok, my powered kelp came in, now I just need to refresh my memory what I'm supposed to do with it exactly! Let me reread the OP to get an idea. wash out, leave in? Mix with CO? hmmmmmm.

Wildcat Diva
August 28th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Doh! That's right, I forgot!

sakuraemily
August 29th, 2013, 02:08 AM
http://practicalbohemianbeauty.blogspot.in/2012/10/conditioning-seaweed-hair-rinse.html

https://wawaza.com/pages/How-to-Use-Japanese-Seaweed-For-Hair-Care-.html

A couple of links I found that are related. one's an ad but it tells you something.

PolarCathy
August 29th, 2013, 10:48 AM
I thought it would be a good idea to eat some too, but man, this "nori" thing is easily the most horrendous thing I've ever tasted, and I thought I had some hardcore experiences.

alexis917
August 29th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I love nori for when I make my own sushi.
Kelp and dried seaweed are also used really frequently in Korean cooking.
It's a good day to be Korean, haha. I guess I finally found another use for this stuff H-Mart sells in bulk.

PolarCathy
August 29th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Do you think you can help me out with some recipes? I don't want to give it up yet but I'm serious when I say I think I've never eaten anything even remotely this bad. But I want to eat it. BTW I hate sushi. What else can I do with these? I also bought some dried seaweed that looks like gray strips. Like spaghetti but gray and dried. What to do with that one?

I love nori for when I make my own sushi.
Kelp and dried seaweed are also used really frequently in Korean cooking.
It's a good day to be Korean, haha. I guess I finally found another use for this stuff H-Mart sells in bulk.

Othala
August 29th, 2013, 01:21 PM
I wrote about my experiences using seaweed on hair here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=98733 which may or may not be of interest.

I love sushi and sashimi. I want some right now, LOL!

PamelaViktoria
August 29th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Wow that's an experiment I'd love to try! I soak my raw seaweed to get extra salt out. But maybe some of that salt makes the hair thicker?
My body inside loves seaweed. I eat 4 sheets a day:)

cosmic crusader
August 30th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Oh, wow.

I made a seaweed deep treatment today and it was AWESOME:

3 cups of fresh, cleaned seaweed (I discarded the stalks in favor of the leaves)
1 tbsp honey (microwave for 20 seconds to avoid lightening)
1 tbsp aloe vera gel
1 tsp vegetable glycerine

I used my Vitamix to puree the above ingredients. I think a high speed blender is the way to go in order to get a super creamy and smooth result, but a food processor or standard blender would probably work just fine. I refrigerated my concoction for an hour, then showered and washed my hair with a shampoo bar. I broke my water-only schedule, but I thought it would be worth it for the best penetration of my deep treatment. I applied my seaweed mix to damp hair, and laid it on thick, working it into my scalp and coating the length and ends. This was a bit messy, so I recommend applying it in the shower. I bagged my hair in plastic, and let it sit for almost two hours while I tended to schoolwork. I was a little concerned about how it would rinse, but let me tell you… it was all good! After rinsing well with cool water, I scrunched and air-dried, and noticed well-defined spiral curls. Like the results of a good protein treatment, my wave pattern looked much more defined. Air drying produced a smooth result that I ain’t gonna argue with! I blended the remainder of the seaweed as described above, and put the mixture in a glass jar in the refrigerator for future use.

(That's an excerpt from my blog, @rawpeacelove.com)

TRY IT!

katiebeans
August 31st, 2013, 12:01 PM
Wow, I thought I had seen everything on TLHC until now! I wish I had seen this last week when I was at South Carolina's beaches, totally would have picked up some seaweed. I would love to give this a try on my fine hair.

PolarCathy
September 2nd, 2013, 02:43 PM
First impression: this substance is sick. In the good sense.

More maybe later.