PDA

View Full Version : Fine-Haired Daily Washers: Cones or something else?

chrissy-b
October 13th, 2012, 03:00 PM
After about 5 years of experimentation, I have finally admitted that I have to wash my hair daily with either shampoo or poo bars. I can skip a day every now and then, but for the most part, my scalp needs it.

My problem is, the last time I grew my hair out and was doing all the things I was supposed to do, my length was still dry and damaged.

How many fine hairs are out there that also wash daily? Do you find that using cones helps protect your length? Are there any tips, tricks or products you would recommend? What does a fine-haired daily washer need to do to keep hair healthy?

Iolanthe13
October 13th, 2012, 03:15 PM
While I am not currently washing daily, I have done so in the past. I find SLS-free shampoos actually allow me to go longer without washing, and also don't make my scalp itch or dry out my length as much. You might try pre-oiling the ends before washing for extra protection, but I wouldn't recommend this if you're using cones (likely to cause build-up). I prefer my hair without cones, as it has more body, but a lot of people seem to have success with them.

You're not putting shampoo on the lengths, are you?

chrissy-b
October 13th, 2012, 03:26 PM
You're not putting shampoo on the lengths, are you?

My hair is so short right now that I don't have any choice, but when it was longer, no I didn't. I also used sulfate-free shampoos and shampoos in the past but still had the dry length.

shutterpillar
October 13th, 2012, 04:01 PM
I CO, but I wash daily with a coney conditioner. My hair just gets too greasy to hold off. Like you said, I can skip a day every so often, but I probably wont be planning on leaving the house if that is the case. ;)

I use Pantene Ice Shine and have found that putting oil on my ends (I use coconut oil) at least one hour before washing definitely helps them from looking dried out and frizzy.

maborosi
October 13th, 2012, 04:09 PM
My hair is more of average thickness, but I have to wash daily, too, with a conditioner, at least, or my hair gets very sad. :<

I use a coney conditioner as my daily "shampoo" of choice. When I do shampoo (like twice or three times a week, depending on things like how humid/muggy it's been, etc), I use a diluted shampoo. I don't pay attention to SLS or anything like that, and my hair's juuust fine.

~maborosi~

Immera
October 13th, 2012, 06:16 PM
I wash my my scalp daily. I normally use the herbal essences long term relationship line, but here recently I have been using a 2-in-1 Dove shampoo and conditioner that I had left in the cabinet as a shampoo. It's not bad.

I follow up with the coney long term relationship conditioner, and out of the shower I use either the Garnier Frutis triple nutrition nutrient spray, a drop of Organix coconut anti-breakage serum or a drop of baby oil, and finger-comb it through.

I also oil my hair sometimes at night, using the above or coconut oil. I have recently tried castor oil. Wow that stuff is thick. Not sure if I am a fan yet.

Miss Catrina
October 13th, 2012, 08:28 PM
I so wish I had an answer to this. I myself have been trying to figure it out for months. From SLS-free and cone free, to SLS but no cones, to SLS and cones, to cone free cleansing conditioners... I can't figure out what's best.

It sounds like CWC might be a good option for you, especially since you can't help but shampoo the whole length (I relate so much), or OWC (oil-wash-condition - is that a method? or is just a type of CWC?). For a while I would coconut oil my hair, then wash and condition, and it had potential - but either the coconut oil or my conditioner were too strong and I got a little greasy.

AineMuirne
October 13th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I washed my hair every day for most of my life with clarifying shampoo and cone conditioner. I've never had damage problems or unhealthy looking hair, it just gets greasy very fast. I think the best advice for keeping it healthy despite that is to be extremely gentle. Your hair isn't all that long yet, but as it gets longer, be very careful while brushing or combing. Make it your goal to lose no hair, no matter how long it takes to brush your hair, starting at the very bottom.

Figure out if your hair likes cones+protein (my hair likes cones+silk protein, such as TRESemme Smooth and Silky) or non-cones, or cones with no protein, etc.

I've stopped using sulfates now, and my hair is starting to produce less oil. I've been washing every other day for the past few weeks. It's a slow process after about fifteen years of daily washing with sulfates.

chrissy-b
October 14th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Thank you all so much for your input. It looks like I might have to give CO another shot and see if I can shampoo every other day with CO in between. When I tried before my scalp go so bad, but maybe a mixture would work.

It sounds like CWC might be a good option for you, especially since you can't help but shampoo the whole length (I relate so much), or OWC (oil-wash-condition - is that a method? or is just a type of CWC?). For a while I would coconut oil my hair, then wash and condition, and it had potential - but either the coconut oil or my conditioner were too strong and I got a little greasy.

I did CWC before when I was cone-free, but maybe adding cones back will help when it gets longer. I like the OWC idea! I did that once a week -- a heavy oiling with either coconut or olive oil and my hair always looked so shiny afterward.

I washed my hair every day for most of my life with clarifying shampoo and cone conditioner. I've never had damage problems or unhealthy looking hair, it just gets greasy very fast. I think the best advice for keeping it healthy despite that is to be extremely gentle. Your hair isn't all that long yet, but as it gets longer, be very careful while brushing or combing. Make it your goal to lose no hair, no matter how long it takes to brush your hair, starting at the very bottom.

I did used to use a BBB. That could have been the culprit.

How many of you fine-hairs use brushes? Do you notice a difference between comb only, finger combing, or brushing?

What about shampoo bars? Can fineys use those everyday without issue? Lately I've been alternated sulfate poo with a shampoo bar. I love what the shampoo bars do to my hair (giving it body) but I need the medicated sulfate shampoo on my scalp.

AineMuirne
October 15th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I used to use regular plastic bristle brushes, but I was EXTREMELY gentle. Now I exclusively use a Tangle Teezer. Nothing else ever.

I've never used a shampoo bar, but I do make my own castile soap-based (liquid) shampoo. I can't see anything that could be wrong with a shampoo bar!

mleung
October 15th, 2012, 10:09 PM
also a fine-hair, who, once upon a time, shampooed daily. it wasn't until i learned (here, actually!) how bad that is for your hair that i started to wean myself off that routine. i started with every other day shampoos & WO rinses on the off days. now i only wash my hair 2x a week - no rinses in between. i think i might have to change this up with the colder temps coming in, though.

best of luck with finding the best routine for your hair!