PDA

View Full Version : do I really HAVE to cut my ends...?

Barca
August 17th, 2008, 12:01 PM
first let me tell you, i have a few major NO NOs going on in my hair right now:

1. relaxer (which i've been growing out since last october)
2. bleach (yes i said bleach. condemn me now!)

but i condition my hair every single day. very rarely do i not condition my hair b/c it's so thick that i can't comb it otherwise. i have about 2 inches that I think need to be cut off b/c on the occasion i do blow it out, i can see the splits. when i where it curly (the relaxer didn't make my hair bone straight, just loosen the curl from a 3c/4a to about a 3b) i can't see them. i confess, my hair is dry...except for the hair that is ONLY bleached and not relaxed. should i just chop off the ends (relaxed part, or just the 2 inch splits) or is there a way to nurse it back to health?

thanks in advance!!

jojo
August 17th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Hi there,
I know it seems a lot but really cutting is the only way to get rid of damage or you could just do a few micro trims until the damage is gone.

Also SMT is very good in restoring hair or maybe a few protein treatments?

Otherwise dont beat yourself up, my hair in the past has been through every chemical treatment known to man, im now a born again virgin head!

Good luck, you will get there xx

spidermom
August 17th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Of course you don't HAVE to cut your ends, but if you want length increase, you may have to. Damage tends to spread up the hair shaft as it splits and breaks off. I've discovered that I absolutely cannot get good growth if I don't trim. Other people with damage never or rarely trim, and their hair still grows longer. So this is a highly individual thing, and you should do whatever works for you and makes you happy.

Barca
August 17th, 2008, 12:49 PM
oh i was afraid of that. lol all of you have such gorgeous hair and i was hoping there was some secret you could let me in on. i knew i should have left it alone! i JUST got it to BSL... grr oh well. :(

Barca
August 17th, 2008, 12:52 PM
by the way..what's SMT? i'm such a newbie lol. i've been using this aveda restoratives conditioner (i only condition my hair...very rarely shampoo- i actually don't have any conditioner at all right now) and it seems to help but i really HAVE to condition it or it turns to frizzzz

Angellen
August 17th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Try this link: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128&highlight=moisture+treatment

If you have moderate to severe breakage, you may want to consider trimming. You can always just take off a 1/2 inch (or less!) at a time, and slowly eliminate the damage that way. Or, you can get a trusted friend (who you see frequently!) to help you S&D (search and destroy-->just cut out the individual splits and breaks).

HTH

Barca
August 17th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Try this link: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128&highlight=moisture+treatment

If you have moderate to severe breakage, you may want to consider trimming. You can always just take off a 1/2 inch (or less!) at a time, and slowly eliminate the damage that way. Or, you can get a trusted friend (who you see frequently!) to help you S&D (search and destroy-->just cut out the individual splits and breaks).

HTH

thanks! i think i may have my friend (who's cut my hair twice now) help me w/ it. thanks for the link!

EvaSimone
August 17th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I recommend Nightshade's excellent article on caring for damaged hair, it's really great and can help you figure out a plan for dealing with your hair.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

Buddaphlyy
August 17th, 2008, 02:18 PM
You said you've been growing out your relaxer since October. Are you transitioning or just stretching your relaxer? If you're just stretching, I think you can get away with a series of micro trims over the next few months. If you're transitioning though, I think it's best to get rid of the damage now. I too double processed my hair with a relaxer and bleach and choose to keep the damaged ends. It cost me a lot of length retention in the long run.

Barca
August 17th, 2008, 02:47 PM
i'm transitioning. i had cut my hair and thought my hair was too much to deal with so i relaxed it again. i think you're right. i should cut it. my hair hasn't been this long since i was twelve though so i'm trying to salvage it...but it seems futile. :(