PDA

View Full Version : working with indigo article

Tai Shan Fan
August 17th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Is there demand for a 'using indigo' article - in particular a step by step how to dye your hair with a 2 step process, or is this unnecessary, because of Nightshade's excellent henna article we already have.

1)Yes, this is a good idea
2)No, not needed, as all the information is already here
3)Cheese all the way :cheese:

prosperina
August 17th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I will never indigo my hair, never have. But, I think the more information there is out there, the better. Especially if you have colored your hair with indigo and you have lots of experience with it, then you are the person to write it! Before I follow advice, I always check and see if the person giving said advice actually does it herself! :)

Tai Shan Fan
August 17th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I will never indigo my hair, never have. But, I think the more information there is out there, the better. Especially if you have colored your hair with indigo and you have lots of experience with it, then you are the person to write it! Before I follow advice, I always check and see if the person giving said advice actually does it herself! :)

Good point :), I've been using a henna indigo 2 step process on myself every month now for well over 2 years - nearer 2.5. Before that I had a few tries at a henndigo 1 step process.

iris
August 17th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I think it is a good idea - indigo is a completely different animal from henna, and long-term personal experience definitely does add a different dimension.

Iris

RavennaNight
August 17th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Oh yes! Article! Article! :D Ive been pondering henna+indigo 2 step for a few months now, and keep chickening out! Its the amount of time it takes thats been freaking me out. I'd love to know as much information as possible! I've read most of what's on this site, incl. Nightshade's detailed article and H4H, but something at length from someone whose been doing the whole process for a long time would be really interesting. Can't have too much informaton! :)

bgarrison
August 18th, 2008, 09:09 AM
As a newbie, the articles are great places to find foundational knowledge, which makes searching the boards and reading and understanding threads so much easier.

Nightshade
August 18th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I agree that it's a good idea. I hit on a basic one step and a basic two step in my article, but I have limited personal experience with it.

If it's seeming that the background information is getting to be too redundant (explaining indigo and henna and application and rinsing), I'd also happily add in a much longer henndigo/indigo section to the article.

That'd keep all the henna/indigo information in one place, anyway.

Just a suggestion, and of course I'd credit you in the article! :flowers:

almudena
August 18th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I vote yes. Indigo is a whole new dimension aside from henna.
When I started to use indigo I wish I could have found all the information in just one place. My best sources then were hennaforhair for all the written there and styg for her experience.
I have been using indigo to cover my greys in a two step process. First henna for about two hours, then (normally the day after) indigo mixed with plain water, applied only on my roots and left for 20-30 minutes. My whole hair is quite dark and it is no necessary to apply indigo on my length (aside from an indigo+conditioner gloss from time to time). Besides I’ve found out that there is no necessary to leave the indigo long time to cover my greys. 15 minutes are enough to get a dark auburn which blends with the rest of my hair and doesn’t fade at all.

Tai Shan Fan
August 20th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far :flower:
Anyone else?

wintersun99
August 20th, 2008, 10:20 AM
For sure! I think it's a very good idea. I think far too many people underestimate Indigo and its longterm use... It's certainly a different animal from henna and should be understood as such :)

dulce-de-leche
September 10th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I agree please give more info on indigo I'm trying to collect all the info I can so I can do my first application

Akiko
September 10th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I have never used indigo, but am really interested. I am interested in...

(1) how long indigo color lasts
(2) any easier ways to apply
(3) ways to prevent itchy scalp

etc, etc.!!

Tai Shan Fan
September 10th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Thank you to everyone who voted and submitted comments :) It looks like I've got some work to do.

I think an indigo orientated article is important, as people who work with indigo long-term are such a tiny proportion of people who only henna and because of this there is relatively a smaller amount of info about it. On henna websites it's a bit of a tag on, yet if you're using indigo it has unique quirks, pros and cons that aren't the same as for henna and you must be familiar with these if you are to have success. Henna and indigo are very different herb powders in terms of how to use them as well as effect.

Unfortunately there are always a number of people who regret having used indigo and discover how difficult it can be to shift. I therefore think more information about it should be available to help people make informed choices before they commit. For me it works fantastically, but it's not for everyone.

It will be a while before I finish this and in the meantime if anyone is thinking of using indigo think carefully if darker hair suits your skintone. If you're lucky it will make it luminous, if it doesn't then you will look drained and tired. This isn't just for those aiming at black hair. Darkening your locks a few shades doesn't work for all skintones. Yet that said, if it works for your skintone age isn't a barrier and you will end up with a far more natural colour than you can get with hairdye.

Anyway, early thoughts.
Thanks once again for your feedback :flowers:

Tai Shan Fan
September 10th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I have never used indigo, but am really interested. I am interested in...

(1) how long indigo color lasts
(2) any easier ways to apply
(3) ways to prevent itch scalp

etc, etc.!!

1) How long it lasts varies a lot from individual to individual. For me it gradually fades until it's had a second application when it's more or less permanent.

2) Easer than what? The henna/ indigo route is time consuming and everyone who's thinking of doing this should be prepared for that. That said, the first couple of times obviously take relatively longer, as you are getting used to working with the herbs. It does get easier with practice, but it will never be as quick as a shop-bought dye.

3) It depends on what causes the scalp itch, if you're allergic to indigo then you have to quit doing it. Most people, however, will get scalp itch (including me) even if they aren't allergic to indigo if they don't remove the residue thoroughly. I CO 3 times afterwards using indigo and then use a shampoo bar, finishing off with a vinegar rinse. This is time consuming, but I get neither rub-off problems that many do nor scalp itch.

HTH