PDA

View Full Version : I learned a new technique and it worked sooo well!

Marchpane
August 17th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I work with a girl who has the most gorgeous long silky hair, and she told me to towel-dry your hair before conditioning (and after shampooing). Apparently because conditioner is water-soluble it goes in better when there's less water. I had no towel on hand but I wrung most of the water out of my hair (probably bad, I know lol) but I had such silky hair that day! And it curled nicely too. I'm definitely going to try fully towel-drying it next wash and see how it works out. :)

Saranne772
August 17th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Sounds good! Maybe thats why I increased wave after switching to ACV rinse?

kowlrea
August 17th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I have been doing this alll my life, i think because I thought i was wasting conditioner by just slopping it on dripping wet hair

dorothea-brooke
August 17th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I work with a girl who has the most gorgeous long silky hair, and she told me to towel-dry your hair before conditioning (and after shampooing). Apparently because conditioner is water-soluble it goes in better when there's less water. I had no towel on hand but I wrung most of the water out of my hair (probably bad, I know lol) but I had such silky hair that day! And it curled nicely too. I'm definitely going to try fully towel-drying it next wash and see how it works out. :)

Thanks for the tip! :D

I'm mostly writing to say that I had a full 10 seconds of confusion when I first clicked on this post, because you're using the same avatar pic as me! I sat here literally thinking to myself, My god -- I don't remember posting this at all! until I saw the username. :silly:

plainjanegirl
August 17th, 2008, 09:24 AM
hmmm - that's very interesting
If I remember I will try that with my next wash.

Raederle
August 17th, 2008, 09:38 AM
<snip>

I'm mostly writing to say that I had a full 10 seconds of confusion when I first clicked on this post, because you're using the same avatar pic as me! I sat here literally thinking to myself, My god -- I don't remember posting this at all! until I saw the username. :silly:

Me too :misskim:

I usually gently squeeze out excess water, precisely because it seems as though the conditioner just sits on the surface else. Really need a shampoo this morning, so I'll actually use a towel this time to see if there's a difference.

spidermom
August 17th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I consider towels too rough to use on my hair. However, for my last application of conditioner, I generally squeeze out extra moisture, use a small squeeze of conditioner, massage it through, then squeeze out more extra water - no rinsing. My hair has been responding nicely to that.

pariate
August 17th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I've always squeezed out as much excess water as possible before applying conditioner. Hairdressers have always advised me that it works better and is more economical. I don't remember ever towe-drying my hair, but I'll give it a go. Every little helps!

Thanks Marchpane :D

berr
August 17th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I don't towel dry in that sense because I'd get too many tangles. I do wrap my hair in a towel and leave it while I get dressed to wick the moisture from my hair (and to also have my hair up to try to avoid the butt crack shed collections) I've added conditioner after the towel comes off and for me it doesn't really make a lot of difference unless I've used a cone conditioner. My hair does love cones short term. Oiling my wet hair did a lot more for me than added conditioner. I'm so glad I finally tried oils and now I want to try them all. ;)

Did she happen to state which conditioner she uses?

Tap Dancer
August 17th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I'll try to remember this. I don't see how gently blotting the hair with a towel would hurt. Thanks!

RavenDream
August 17th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I've always squeezed out the extra water and then put the conditioner on. If I put it on my hair when it's too wet it doesn't do much ot my hair.

musicmomma
August 17th, 2008, 11:15 AM
when i was young we always used Breck's Creme Rinse and if i remember correctly it said to towel dry before applying. i would comb it thru with my huge avon water comb and then rinse it out. my hair always looked so bright and shiny.

dorothea-brooke
August 17th, 2008, 11:21 AM
when i was young we always used Breck's Creme Rinse and if i remember correctly it said to towel dry before applying. i would comb it thru with my huge avon water comb and then rinse it out. my hair always looked so bright and shiny.

Breck's Creme Rinse!!! Jeepers, that's a blast from the past. :p

Now you need to go over to the "Who remembers" thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10448) on the Friendship board and post about that! :D

Leisha
August 17th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I have been doing this alll my life, i think because I thought i was wasting conditioner by just slopping it on dripping wet hair
Me too :)

My hair holds a lot of water after I wash it, so I put it in a towel for a couple of minutes before I put conditioner in. Otherwise it all drips out and what stays in, gets too diluted.

podo
August 17th, 2008, 04:32 PM
What a great idea! I imagine you'll need to use 2 towels instead of one for each shower, but as long as you're reusing instead of putting them in the laundry after one use it shouldn't be a problem.

Are there people who don't at least squeeze out excess water between treatments? I can't imagine...

Marchpane
August 17th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I'm mostly writing to say that I had a full 10 seconds of confusion when I first clicked on this post, because you're using the same avatar pic as me! I sat here literally thinking to myself, My god -- I don't remember posting this at all! until I saw the username.

Wow, you're right! Haha that's funny. It would be a little disconcerting to not remember posting something. :p

Are there people who don't at least squeeze out excess water between treatments? I can't imagine...

*meekly raises hand* I didn't... :blushing:

Cinnamon.locks
August 17th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Such a good and logical idea! thanks for sharing. i always try to squeeze the water out of my hair before condish but using a small towel for that specific use is a terrific idea. I'll try this next time i S&C.

CaityBear
August 17th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I usually squeeze out most of the water (gently of course!) then put on the condition.

I can tell when that the conditioner doesn't do much for my hair when its wet because it usually just slips off.

Chromis
August 17th, 2008, 07:46 PM
What a great idea! I imagine you'll need to use 2 towels instead of one for each shower, but as long as you're reusing instead of putting them in the laundry after one use it shouldn't be a problem.

Me! I never thought to do so :shrug:

I use shampoo bars now and love them very much, but if I ever decided to try shampoo and conditioner again I will give it a go.

ColoradoDreamer
August 17th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Okay, I guess this is a hair stupid for me. I rinse out the shampoo (when I use it) and then immediately put on the conditioner without even squeezing. I'll give this technique a try tomorrow when I next wash my hair.

vampodrama
August 18th, 2008, 12:46 AM
I always squeeze out the water from my hair after shampooing. I have also done the towel thing, but I didn't notice much difference.

lady G
August 18th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I have read about this before and tried it, suppose it makes sense really!! should make the conditioner coat the hair properly and not run off soaking wet hair :)

Haith
August 18th, 2008, 05:06 AM
I'm going to give this a try next time I wash my hair, and see if it makes a difference for me. I squeeze out excess water already, but not for any reason. Now that I have a reason to, I'll pay attention and see what happens!

manderly
August 18th, 2008, 05:17 AM
I've done this for years (minus the towel), but I've just recently discovered that a squirt of condish (much less than what I normally use) into a bowl of water and poured over my hair works exponentially well with minimal product.

I'm surpised at how wonderful a squirt and a bucket can make my hair :)

Islandgrrl
August 18th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I'm one of those who squeezes excess water out before conditioning. I never thought to towel dry. I'll try it next wash!

micah_mae_
August 18th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Yeah I've always squeezed the water out of my hair after shampooing and before conditioning. Would towel drying help more?

SHELIAANN1969
August 18th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Hmmmmmm, this may save me lots of $$ on conditioner if I stop using a half bottle then rinsing it, maybe I could use 1/8 of a bottle and it would go much farther.

That's a fantabulous idea and I am definately trying it tonight!! yay for money saving methods and ideas, I am super hyped about trying this.

I go through a LOT of conditioner because my hair is thick and just soaks it up.

I hadn't trimmed my hair in 15 months and went in Saturday evening for a dusting, I was so paranoid but told the hairdresser I would strangle him, "haha, jk but seriously" if he chopped my hair, I can tell a differenece in the ends and I lost a very insignificant amount of length.

I had my hair in a bun with a stick in it, took it out and as he was gently detangling he said, OMG, you have a lot of hair, and it's thick!

He asked if I colored my hair and I said yes I henna, why? He said, your hair is coppery on the top and redder at the bottom, I was explaining Henna was tricky to get only the roots thus, my different tones.

He also said that I had excellent hair for someone who has long hair and hadn't cut in 15 months :)

I told him my routine and not much poo, he said sulphates are evil, haha, I was like yes, I know!!

I am going to have bf take pics when he gets home, I have this one part that's weird and long and it's driving me nuts but he would have had to cut about 4 inches to make it a U instead of a V, I was like no no no no no thankyouverymuch anyways!! ack!

I just totally hijacked when I meant to say thanks for the cool info, I am trying it tonight!

dorothea-brooke
August 18th, 2008, 10:50 AM
SHEILAANN, that might have been a hijack, but I loved your post! Completely cracked me up.

Okay, I guess I've just prolonged the hijack now.... :blushing:

Okay, so while I'm at the thread-jacking, I might as well dive right in wholeheartedly: Marchpane, I couldn't stand it any more! You're also in Canada, so that avatar pic + "Canada" sitting there just kept freaking me out. I changed my avatar pic so I'd stop getting confused about who I was.

See, there just isn't room at LHC for the both of us. :draw:

(Just teasing, of course!)

Now, back to the thread. I, for one, am off to shower, and will certainly be blotting my hair before conditioning! :flower:

Marchpane
August 18th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Okay, so while I'm at the thread-jacking, I might as well dive right in wholeheartedly: Marchpane, I couldn't stand it any more! You're also in Canada, so that avatar pic + "Canada" sitting there just kept freaking me out. I changed my avatar pic so I'd stop getting confused about who I was.

Hahaha, aww. I'm sorry to cause you the trouble lol, you probably had your avatar first too. I can change mine if you want. :P To make it even worse your location is 'Middlemarch' and my username is 'Marchpane'!

dorothea-brooke
August 18th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Hahaha, aww. I'm sorry to cause you the trouble lol, you probably had your avatar first too. I can change mine if you want. :P To make it even worse your location is 'Middlemarch' and my username is 'Marchpane'!

Oh, heavens no! I've been meaning to change mine for a while anyway, so this was the impetus I needed.

As you can see, I kept the theme the same. :p

cheers,
dorothea

banglaminerva
August 18th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I always very lightly squeezed out some water before conditioning, but this morning did a major squeeze (since I didn't have an extra towel around) then conditioned and went on my way. Well, today was the kick-off of the semester and was absolutely insane at work, aka no bathroom break til after 4:00, so I didn't get to see if my hair was any different.

But 4 people asked what I'd done to my hair and that it looked great.

Thanks!!

Marchpane
August 18th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I always very lightly squeezed out some water before conditioning, but this morning did a major squeeze (since I didn't have an extra towel around) then conditioned and went on my way. Well, today was the kick-off of the semester and was absolutely insane at work, aka no bathroom break til after 4:00, so I didn't get to see if my hair was any different.

But 4 people asked what I'd done to my hair and that it looked great.

Thanks!!

Awesome! That's great that it worked so well for you! :D

Nyghtingale
August 18th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the tip! :D

Lol, too cute

sandrak
August 19th, 2008, 02:15 AM
I am going to try this the next time I shampoo too! I always thought this is what you should do, but I have never done it myself. I hope it makes a difference in the condition of my hair.

pariate
August 19th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I tried this today and I certainly used less conditioner than usual. I don't know if it improved the appearance of my hair, but that's because I was on a super-gentle CO wash today and that's never the best time to judge the effectiveness of extra conditioning on my lengths! :rolleyes:

beyondcute
August 19th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I will try this. The science part of it makes sense.

Gecko
August 19th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I read that in a magazine a few years ago and had been doing it ever since, but now I find it works better when I don't towel dry it or squeeze excess water out.

dor3girl
August 19th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Sounds like a way to use less conditioner & keep your shower from being a slippery mess, like mine! I like it, I love it, I want more of it!

DarkChocolate
August 20th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I will try this the next time:) Thanks for the tip:)

Soniasonia
August 20th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Great tip thanks for sharing<3

JKRBeloved
August 20th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Sorry I'm so dense, but does this mean you do NOT rinse AFTER you put the conditioner in?

NebulaBelly
August 20th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the info! Ill try it for myself

Marchpane
August 20th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Sorry I'm so dense, but does this mean you do NOT rinse AFTER you put the conditioner in?

Nope, you do rinse. After you shampoo and rinse, you towel-dry your hair and then apply conditioner, and then leave it on for whatever time you'd like, then rinse as usual. :)

LadyLongLocks
August 24th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I always squeeze out all the water I can before I condition. I never towel dried it, but it makes perfect sense to do it if you have time. Thanks for the tip :)