PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo, Conditioner Ingredients: Likes and/or Dislikes.

MeMyselfandI
March 17th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I know that some avoid silicones. There are various names of silicones, some worse then others what are they.

Some avoid sulfates.

Some avoid the toxins in shampoos and conditioners.

I find avoiding some of the silicones, some conditioners seem more toxic.

A more natural conditioner with less toxins may have more silicones in it.

How do you find your balance?
What ingredients do you avoid at all costs?

What brands do you use?

Curlsgirl
March 17th, 2008, 09:03 AM
How do you find your balance? trial and error and boy did it take a long time!
What ingredients do you avoid at all costs? any kind of silicone now in shampoos and conditioners

What brands do you use? Mostly Paul Mitchell shampoo or Suave clarifying but I am not really picky about shampoo as long as it is fairly gentle and I do use an SLS poo, just use a bit with CWC

Giovanni, VO5, BWC for a leave-in conditioner

DMARTINEZ
March 17th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Hmm?
A couple ingredients I avoid are Benzyl Alchohol and Olefin Sulphate? (spelling)
and shampoo or conditioners with sodium chloride in them.
Just lately,I think Ive found that Panthenol makes for dryish frizzy hair.

I like silicones, even the heaviest one. Ive never experienced build up.

Right now the brands I use are Natures Gate Original Shampoo,Sunsilk Hydra TLC cond.,
Activate Shampoo and Conditioner,Natures Gate Organic Red Tea Conditioner,VO5 for
CWC,and Aveda stuff. Oh, and I do like and use Alba Botanical shampoo.

Deb

Elfling
March 17th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I'm still figuring out what works for my hair- I just recently decided to see how going sls and -cone free works for me.

I have all three Giovanni shampoo/conditioners at the moment- Golden Wheat , 50/50 and Tea Tree...I like the 50/50 the best I think. I'm still getting used to how my hair feels with the gentler shampoos.

Gothic Lolita
March 17th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I try to avoid silicones, but if there isn't any other shampoo around, I use that one. My hair won't die, if it's washed one single time with silicones.

Current shampoo: Alverde Olive/Henna (herbal shampoo) when I think my hair feels "dirty" I wash with a normal Sulfate shampoo, like Schauma.

Current conditioner: Alverde Zitrone/Melisse or Alverde Aloe/Hibiskus

I think the Alverde brand in only available in Germany and Austria.

tiny_teesha
March 20th, 2008, 05:15 AM
i use tea :) i know what is in it.....ground flowers/herb/tea leaves. :)

AJoifulNoise
March 20th, 2008, 06:56 AM
What brands do you use?

I don't avoid anything at all costs. I'll try just about anything once (or twice). I use -cone and non-cone conditioners. I do try to keep -cones in the house all the time because my hair prefers them, though. But, I've tried everything from Suave to John Frieda, from Garnier to Trader Joe's Nourish Spa.

I've also tried shampoos with and without sulfates. I use ones with sulfates, though very watered down.

At the moment I mainly use Herbal Essenses Hello Hydration, Break's Over, and None of Your Frizzness. Both shampoo and conditioner. I also throw in some John Frieda, Bath & Body Works, Assorted Trader Joe's, and Treseme in between.

In other words: I just try everything.

lavenderblue
March 20th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Current conditioner: Alverde Zitrone/Melisse or Alverde Aloe/Hibiskus

I think the Alverde brand in only available in Germany and Austria.

I believe alverde is a brand of the german DM drugstore, I love it too. (I live in the Netherlands but close to the german border)

heidihug
March 20th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I use Infusium shampoo and conditioner, and switch out every once in a while with Aussie brand (it may be a silly reason, but I love their pump bottles for the shower). I use tiny amounts of shampoo, and never shampoo anything other than the hair close to my head. I then super condition the rest of it, and I've found that works best for me. I think I must have tried just about every shampoo, conditioner and after product out there, and I've found that the more expensive brands are definitely not the best for my hair. I don't avoid any particular ingredients other than heavily scented things, as I have some nasty fragrance allergies.

happylynngilmer
March 20th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Trial and error. Still try stuff sometimes to find my HG regimen.

Nothing. I sometimes use cones. I don't like parabens, but my Healthy Sexy Hair Pumpkin Masque contains them. I have to use sulfates or my scalp gets mad at me.

What brands do you use?
Nexxus, Manor Hall, Trader Joe's, Healthy Sexy Hair, Oyin, VO5, I am sure there's more....and I'm currently lemming My Honey Child's line.