PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating cones again

kwaniesiam
August 16th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Lately the products that have made my hair happy in the past have made it feel very...dull. I regularly clarify with Suave clarifying shampoo (about once every week or two), so I know its not an issue of buildup. I use Giovanni shampoo and either Nature's Gate, Burt's Bees, or Giovanni smooth as silk conditioners, alternating to which ever I feel like using or feel like what my hair would like at the time. But...it just feels so lank and dull. Not soft like it used to be, except on the second day and by that time my roots are so greasy scalp shows through like crazy and I'm not really long enough for any updos after my most recent trim to even up the bottom layer. It's not the water either, I've lived in the same place and it hasn't changed. Has anyone else noticed their hair just getting bored with a routine and maybe needing something else? To all you cone users, what are your favorites? If you have fine hair, are there any that seem to heavy? I'm a newbie to the world of cones, shortly after finding LHC I became aware of them and decided to go without, noticing immediate improvement but my hair is so much healthier now I don't even know how it would react to them.

Patrycja
August 16th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I love almost every kind of Suave coney conditioners.VO5 has a Strawberry Champagne Silk(?)that is unbelievable.Their kinds of coney conditioners are cheap and not that heavy at all.

Tangles
August 16th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I'm back to using cones sometimes. I clarify once a week. Not really a big deal; I think cones are actually good for hair that's prone to damage.

I like the Long Term Relationship!

RavennaNight
August 16th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I went cone free for a week and a half. I know that isn't long but in that time my hair became extremely unmanageable, tangly, and dull! Not to mention the humidity totally caused my hair to run amok with frizz. I couldn't tolerate it and my hair was snagging and thus snapping. So I went back from wence I came: Coney Island. (actually isn't far away in reality!) Try a light cone, don't go all out and dive into the pantene. I recently tried the Dove in the dark blue bottle and its great! (thanks Amoretti) it detangled well and makes shine, but it isn't so very thick and heavy that the hair cries out for shampoo every other day with lankness.

Tangles
August 16th, 2008, 07:34 PM
One more thing, NEVER EVER use Infusium products. They wrecked my hair !!!!!

Neoma
August 16th, 2008, 08:22 PM
kwaniesiam, I'm experiencing much what you described. I'm thinking about trying cones again, too.

I didn't know that Suave and V05 made any coney products! And did I read correctly: The Dove products are less "cone intensive" than Pantene?

Please advise, oh sage ones. I'd like to know before I go out into the world where the drug stores are tomorrow.

Curlsgirl
August 16th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I use cones on and off, no problem. One thing you might want to consider is the Suave clarifying shampoo. I found it really harsh on my hair. If you don't use cones you shouldn't need a clarifying shampoo or even an SLS shampoo that often. It could be stripping your hair too much causing it to look dull. Just a thought before you give up on no cones altogether. I don't use cones but once in a while and when I do I use the Dove in the dark blue bottle conditioner too.

manderly
August 16th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I wanted to say the same thing Curlsgirl said. Why on earth are you clarifying so darn much?!

My hair looks kind of raggedy for a few days after clarifying, so I can only imagine if you're doing it once or twice a week your hair will constantly be in the raggedy stage, never getting back to its luxurious self.

Anyway, cones are fine. I attempt them every so often (with dismal results) and switch back to my normal no-cones. Never hurts to try stuff again :)

Darkhorse1
August 16th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I've been a coney girl and I don't have any complaints. If I get build up, I switch conditioners for awhile and/or shampoos, and find a happy balance. I don't think cones are bad for hair---it just really depends on your hair and what you prefer. I LOVE Pantene's products.

I found Infusium didn't work for me at all. And I can't find Suave clarifying shampoo ANYWHERE in my area! It's rather annoying. I used my Suave lavender and lilac shampoo a few days ago and my scalp got SO flakey and dry! Weird huh? John Frieda's shampoo didn't do that at all, so I'll be using that again. I got Biolage's color treated shampoo(well, for color treated hair) and YEUCH! Made my hair sludgy/slimey. Probably because I have naturally oily scalp.

Trial and error is how most of us have found products that work :D

danacc
August 16th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Certainly try re-introducing 'cones if you'd like.

Since your hair feels better on Day 2, it seems the frequency of your clarifying washes may be the cause of the dullness as Curlsgirl and manderly posted. A no-cones routine typically does not require clarifying washes for several months. It is possibly not needed for years depending on water quality and styling product use. Clarifying strips oil and moisture from your hair. Since you like the way your hair feels when your scalp produces a lot of natural oil, simply cutting way back on the frequency of the clarifying washes may result in happy hair again.

Amoretti
August 17th, 2008, 03:45 AM
I'm glad the evil Dove worked for you, RavennaNight! :flowers:

I think some types of hair just like cones. I tried going without them and I ended up with a broomstick on my head. LOL. Now I just use Dove in the dark blue bottle and sometimes use a cone-free conditioner on the length. My ends appreciate the cones though.

kwaniesiam
August 17th, 2008, 08:27 PM
My hair usually feels really nice after clarifying, so I got in the habit of it. That hasn't changed, its just days after it my hair feels so dull. What about Herbal Essences? Those smell amazing but I've always been wary of trying them... Thanks for the suggestions though. :) I'm going to see if I can find some trial sized bottles for travel to test out a few first.

kwaniesiam
August 19th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Well, I was right. My hair wanted cones. I got some Herbal Essences Mega Moisture conditioner, and my hair feels so soft and shiny :bigeyes: I'm content with my shampoo, but I'm definitely going to start switching back and forth between cone and no cone now. Thanks for the help! :)

lady G
August 20th, 2008, 02:08 AM
I have fine hair and I love tresemme shampoos and conditioners either the anti breakage range or the colour protect ones I keep returning to these no matter what else I try out

lapushka
August 20th, 2008, 02:14 AM
I'm fine & oily haired. Cones detangle better, but the downside is flat and greasy-ish looking hair. My hair doesn't look too great with cones.

Fia
August 20th, 2008, 02:18 AM
My holy grail recipe that works from where I am now (ragged grow-out not even touching shoulders) to where it was before I went back short (brushing top of hips) is:

BBB brushing each morning
Madora wide-toothed ivory comb for detangling, Kent medium/fine-toothed comb for polishing and smoothing for updos
GM Cream Shampoo + GM Cream Rinse for all full washes (every 2-3 days before
I can start scalp washing with the same frequency, then every once a week)
GM Cream Shampoo only for scalp washes
small amount of Biosilk for leave-in after each full wash (and maybe a tiny dab to refresh during the week if scalp washing - usually not needed though)
GM Detangler if needed for detangling after full/scalp washes (usually not)
GM 60-second/12-minute conditioners as needed for longer hair (usually not until around BSL)

Not necessarily a holy grail for you as it depends on water quality and how hair takes to the products but thought I'd post it anyway as our hairtypes are similar enough to warrant it. Cones in the small amounts I use them are absolutely vital to me for keeping hair in shape and damage-free - I've tried without and it does not work for my hair.

aisling
August 20th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Occasional changes in hair can also depend on the weather. My hair is frizz city right now since we have a really high humidity at the moment (95-100%).

LifeisAdventure
August 20th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I'm glad you tried and liked Herbal Essences, kwaniesiam! :) They're a favorite a mine, especially the new Beautiful Lengths. Pantene is good if your hair can take it, definitely cone-heavy! I used to use it every once in a while and I'm about to start using it with every wash since I have to start clarifying regularly as well (I moved to an area with very hard water after 20 years of soft water and my hair is NOT happy :wail: ). Sunsilk is OK, I like HE better, and Tresemme was awful for my hair. I've only tried Dove in samples but it worked pretty well! :) Good luck on your new coney venture!

MoonCreature
August 20th, 2008, 02:44 AM
If you don't use cones the thing causing shine on your hair is oils (either added or the natural sebum). Since you clarify so often the sebum is being stripped away, and your hair lacks a natural coating and looks dull and tangles easier. So if not using cones a good oiling now and then and less clarifying is in order.

What cones do are that they coat the hair again, wich gives shine and prevents tangles. If you like to clarify that often I think you need to use cones as well or start oiling daily.

sexyjacksparrow
August 20th, 2008, 03:52 AM
My hair seems to like cones too. Whenver I've tried cone-free my hair has been dull too. I'm trying to reduce my cone usage and am still playing with finding the best routine for me, but I think my hair seems healthier with cones. It's more not ripping through my hair that has made a difference to me, not cutting out commercial products.

Kerry xx

Niphredil
August 20th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Last Jan/Feb I also gave cones another try. I liked the results (smoother, less tangles, more shine etc) but I had to wash at least every other day, or even daily, to prevent the side-effects silicones have on my quite fragile hair.
If I didn't wash that frequently, my length would get horribly dry, like straw, and the scalp got greasy as... well, very greasy.
Since about 1-2 months I am coneless again, and my hair likes it. I am now again able to stretch my washes to once a week. My hair is softer than it was with silicones (even the first day) and I feel a lot better about it.

You can try to alternate cones with coneless. Just watch your hair for signs of cone-related damage (particularly dryness). I also want to suggest to use a milder shampoo. I have washed my scalp just 3 times the past 3 weeks and my hair is less greasy now by DD5 than it used to be on DD2 with cones.