PDA

View Full Version : Advice for (very) temporary colour?

Messyhair
October 13th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Hi all!

I'm looking to be a redhead for Halloween night, but not for much longer than that as my roots get very noticeable when growing out red dye. Any recommendations on a red that would be as short-lasting as possible? I don't care if it takes weeks to wash out, I just want as little demarcation as possible when it starts growing out.

Any thoughts?

Anywhere
October 13th, 2012, 12:50 PM
If you only want it for a super short time, I would suggest one of those spray on hair colors that come off in one wash. :)

Dovetail
October 13th, 2012, 12:55 PM
You could try koolaid, I did that in school and it washes out next wash (as long as you aren't ultra blonde, it might stain then)

holothuroidea
October 13th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Manic Panic or Special Effects are what you're looking for. Your hair is light enough for a darker, more saturated red color to work very well without any bleaching.

Both brands have a lot of red colors to choose from, remember that you are putting it over natural hair so be sure to get a more saturated (darker) color, it will show up more subtly than the color on the box.

ETA: Here's a good resource for MP and SFX colors for unbleached hair. http://www.beeunique.co.uk/Hair-HowUnbleached.htm

Isilme
October 13th, 2012, 01:09 PM
But Manic Panic and special effects can take a really long time to wash out even on virgin hair!
I would suggest you use one of those Wella mousse colours if you have those. They last 4-8 washes according to the box if I remember right.

holothuroidea
October 13th, 2012, 01:16 PM
It shouldn't take longer for it to fade than for her roots to grow in. She wont have any problems with demarcation unless her hair grows super fast.

If your hair is virgin and undamaged, it should wash out in a few weeks depending on how often you wash your hair. It will fade to a lighter color in just a couple of washes.

palaeoqueen
October 13th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Manic Panic Vampire Red stained my dark blonde hair to the extent that I had to have it stripped out... tread very carefully!

holothuroidea
October 13th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Manic Panic Vampire Red stained my dark blonde hair to the extent that I had to have it stripped out... tread very carefully!

Really? My hair is a similar color, or at least the ends usually are (sun exposure). I've always had trouble getting manic panic to stay in!

:hmm:

Have you ever done a porosity test on your hair?

Isilme
October 13th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Well, if it fades that fast she's lucky. I have used at least two different colours from Special effects and they took a long long time to wash out. And while not all of my hair was virgin a good part of it was and had henna over it.
Just right now there is a thread on these boards where a woman put a teal shade in her hair and it has not washed out.
I just want to warn against these colours if one wants something that is easily washed out.

It shouldn't take longer for it to fade than for her roots to grow in. She wont have any problems with demarcation unless her hair grows super fast.

If your hair is virgin and undamaged, it should wash out in a few weeks depending on how often you wash your hair. It will fade to a lighter color in just a couple of washes.

spidermom
October 13th, 2012, 03:34 PM
I think Clairol still makes temporary colors that come out in about 6 washings. Manic Panic comes out of my hair in about 5 weeks. Punky took more like 4 months, but it faded just a bit with every wash, and there was never a clear line of demarcation.