PDA

View Full Version : My first post! Advice for repairing my hair?

crystalla
October 13th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Hello all :) I am crystalla and this is my first post! So, my hair is mid-boob-length, very straight (except for the ends which like to go in random directions). It used to be full boob length, but I noticed split ends and got it cut. HOWEVER. I'm STILL noticing split ends! My roots looks shiny and soft and nice most days, but the ends are frizzy as hell and dull and dry and awful! It's probably due to my frequent straightening before school (and I ALWAYS forget heat protectant spray!) I'm not straightening anymore. But...how do I revamp my hair care routine? I need all kinds of suggestions....shampoo, conditioner, pillow cases, hair styles, combs! Ugh! What do I do?! Thanks!

MrsGuther
October 13th, 2012, 09:40 AM
The only way to get rid of the damage is to trim it. You can do it gradually or get it done and over with all at once. Have you tried mineral oil? A few drops in your hair when it is wet will help make it softer and more manageable. CO washing can also help if you have dry feeling hair. Shampoo with sulfates will dry your hair out a lot and make it feel icky if its super damaged from previous straightening. Good luck on your hair journey, and happy growing!

jacqueline101
October 13th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Let's see you need sharp hair shears for trims or you will keep getting splits. If your hair is dry try baby oil on the ends. Good you gave up heated tools. Vitamins hair skin and nails are good. Try out mane n tail shampoo or conditioner. Monistat for growth wide tooth comb to detangle with and detangler spray is great on hair. Turbie towel is great for drying and if you must blow dry towel dry use protector and dry on low heat cool setting. Argan oil is good for frizzy hair.

Madora
October 13th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Hello all :) I am crystalla and this is my first post! So, my hair is mid-boob-length, very straight (except for the ends which like to go in random directions). It used to be full boob length, but I noticed split ends and got it cut. HOWEVER. I'm STILL noticing split ends! My roots looks shiny and soft and nice most days, but the ends are frizzy as hell and dull and dry and awful! It's probably due to my frequent straightening before school (and I ALWAYS forget heat protectant spray!) I'm not straightening anymore. But...how do I revamp my hair care routine? I need all kinds of suggestions....shampoo, conditioner, pillow cases, hair styles, combs! Ugh! What do I do?! Thanks!

You are killing your hair with your frequent straightening! Get rid of that straightener..and the spray too!

Since you have been doing it a lot, your hair will take a while to get back in shape. Best thing would be to cut off the damage.

Use a wide tooth comb to gently detangle your hair every day.

You'll find various styling options if you click on ARTICLES in the grey menu bar, above.

Can't give you any info about products as I only use GM products. Just be sure whatever you choose is gentle on your hair. And also keep in mind that sometimes products can "war" with other, causing your hair to act cranky. Not all products work in harmony with each other.

Many members use silk pillowcase covers to help protect their ends. Some use satin sleep caps. Many of us wear our hair up to keep the tangles at bay.

If you are aiming for beautiful, healthy hair, then a healthy diet is very important.

For more help with your frazzled ends, here is an article on mineral oil, and how it can help moisturize:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Use it sparingly...a drop or two on a plate. Use a cotton swab to soak up the oil, then apply the swab to your palms and fingers. Run your hands through your hair several times until the sheen is gone.

Mineral oil works best on hair that has been clarified first with a clarifying shampoo. Apply it to DAMP hair.

It can also be used on dry hair as well.

meteor
October 13th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Sounds like your hair is dry and damaged. But you can prevent further damage from happening and recover over a couple months. You'll see dramatic changes if you:
1) chuck the straightener for good (and don't blow-dry either);
2) do heavy pre-shampoo oilings for the length of your hair using some penetrating oils (coconut and olive oil, for example);
3) don't skimp out on heavy conditioner;
4) detangle with wide-tooth combs (never a brush);
5) use a light coating oil (like mineral, argan, etc) to detangle damp or dry hair;
6) wear hair up or in braids more.

There is a lot of great advice all over this website! Happy hair recovery. :)

~honeyflower~
October 13th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I like V05 blackberry shampoo and conditioner, cleans well and smells yummy!
When the weather is bad, (windy,snow,rain) put your hair in a braid and tuck it in your hood to avoid tangles and weather damage.
Just like what everyone here said so far, mineral oil helped my dry hair and static just remember to apply a drop on damp hair from your ears down. Always trim with sharp scissors that are only for hair. The most important thing is be gentle and have patience.

blaketob
October 13th, 2012, 02:58 PM
There are many different routines needed for many different people because what works for one person does not work for another. The most universal things are as followed:

1.) STOP all usage of heat. completely. that means blowdryers and straighteners and curlers. and using once a week is not considered stoping heat :p
2.) never use a brush on your hair! always use a wide tooth comb or a boar bristle brush (BBB)
3.) don't shampoo your hair too frequently because it strips your hair of natural oils
4.) use a deep conditioner or oils to help on a day to day basis
5.) when you hair is wet, don't touch it constantly.

those are the main ones but you have to play around to what your hair likes. At the moment I don't wash with any sulphates or cones. I only wash my hair twice a week and do a deep conditioning treatment once a week. My hair doesn't seem to like many oils so I stopped playing around with them so much. I also don't heat style any more than once every 2-3 months.

sunnydee92
October 13th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Straightening reeeally really really ruins hair! I honestly don't notice much of a difference in damage when I use protectant sprays/creams/whatever. During my senior year of high school I had awesomely long hair, but decided it would be a good idea to dye it and heat style it all the time. I ended up ruining it and turned to a drastic-ish haircut and using henna instead of normal dye. Now I'm a crazy henna head and never going back! ;P Although blow drying is still damaging, I feel like it is a fairly good alternative to straightening! My hair always seems a lot straighter after I blow dry, which I actually dislike. Also, coconut oil might help restore your hair a little. I put a bit in my dry hair to smooth my hair out or leave a larger amount in at night as a conditioning treatment (I put a towel on my pillowcase cause I'm always afraid it'll stain it or something :P). If I were you, I'd just cut off the unhappy ends. Damaged hair is so frustrating! Good luck! :)