PDA

View Full Version : No 'Pooing?

micah_mae_
August 16th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Hi everyone, I've been researching different hair care methods to try and this one just jumped out at me. I was wondering if anyone had tried this? Is it hair-healthy? Etc.
What I got from it was: You wash your scalp hair with 1 T baking soda mixed with 1 C water once or maybe twice a week. Every few washes you rinse with 2 T apple cider vinegar mixed in 1 C water. Then final rinse. Any ideas?
Also I was wondering if anyone could provide me with a list of sulfate and silicone free shampoos and conditioners that are cheap, we are on a seriously restricted budget. Thank you!

lawyermom
August 16th, 2008, 11:18 AM
there's a thread about this over on the recipes forum :)
From what I've read, some people love BS washes, some find them too drying. I'm in the former camp.

micah_mae_
August 16th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks, I'm new so I'm trying to figure out where everything is. :)

girlcat36
August 16th, 2008, 02:53 PM
My hair loves baking soda, but I am afraid to use it more than once every two weeks. I did go Water Only for several months, and I liked it alot, but my hair was too thin and fine to keep at it.

danacc
August 16th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Another thing to note on Baking Soda washes--they are alkaline on the pH scale, and hair and scalp are in love with being slightly acidic. The purpose of the diluted vinegar (or lemon juice or citric acid) rinse is to return the pH environment for the scalp and hair back to slightly acidic. You will want to rinse all the baking soda from your hair and then follow that with a diluted vinegar (or other acid) rinse every time you use baking soda to wash. It is important to do this every time since leaving something slightly alkaline on the hair will very slowly but surely cause damage.

Cinnamon Hair
August 17th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Also I was wondering if anyone could provide me with a list of sulfate and silicone free shampoos and conditioners that are cheap, we are on a seriously restricted budget. Thank you!

'Cone free conditioner list (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2216)

Sulfate free shampoo list (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34009)

At the top of every board is a thread called Links to VITs - Very Important Threads and it will have links that are specific to that board's topic. The cone free conditioner link and sulfate free shampoo link were in the VIT thread on the Products & Accessories board.
Welcome to LHC!

systemaurora
August 17th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I was no 'poo for about two months. I liked it but had to stop because it was just too hard with being chronically ill to deal with BS and stuff. I'm still only washing once a week or so (though I have medical tests coming up on Wednesday, meaning , and my hair still looks a bit greasy on the length, but just doing the no 'poo thing for as long as I did means that even when I wash my hair really good it takes a long while to get greasy on the roots.

I currently use diluted Giovanni tea tree oil shampoo and might start adding some BS to it. I found the BS lightened my hair a bit and made my scalp itchy, but more diluted and I might like it.

Good luck, hope you find something to work for you.

micah_mae_
August 17th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Thank you so much! I'm going to do CWC for a couple weeks or so, then I'll try the BS and ACV method. I'm glad I got on here first or else I wouldn't have known that I have to use ACV every time I BS!

spidermom
August 17th, 2008, 02:44 PM
My hair matted up like felt with baking soda. Now I stick with acid pH balanced hair products. The CWC method with diluted shampoo works best for me. A bottle of shampoo lasts me a very long time.

allege
August 17th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I wash my hair with baking soda from time to time. My hair likes it and I usually end up with very shiny hair.

Barca
August 17th, 2008, 03:27 PM
i don't use shampoo or baking soda. bs sounds like a good substitute. i use conditioner scalp to tip and massage my scalp, and then comb out my hair with the conditioner before i rinse.

purplelover
August 17th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Spidermom,
what do you use for shampoo??

CaityBear
August 17th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I do BS washing sometimes. I find they get my hair really nice and clean, but they are slightly drying for my hair.

kissedbyfyre
August 17th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I've been doing no poo for about a year with occasional deep conditioning/henna glosses with natural conditioners or Cassia. My hair LOOOVES it. It was really weird at first and took some fiddling around to figure it out but my hair has never been happier. I've gone from straight with a slight body wave to waves showing up. :)

Basically I make a thick paste with the baking soda and massage that onto my scalp. I let it sit for about 3 minutes, then rinse. Follow up with an acv rinse that I also let sit before I rinse that out. I finish off with oiling the tips. It's simple, it's fuss free and best of all, it's cheap.

micah_mae_
August 18th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone! I definately think I'm going to at least try it for a couple weeks and see if my hair likes it. :)