PDA

View Full Version : What kind of oil do you use?

Pages : [1] 2

paper
August 16th, 2008, 06:16 AM
And, how do you use it?

I use Jojoba oil. I rub a little in my hands and rub it on my ends, after I wash my hair.

nayver
August 16th, 2008, 06:20 AM
I'm using monoi oil, which basically is coconut oil. I like it a lot, but it gives me the sensation of having crunchy ends. I put it on wet hair, after washing it; maybe a little bit when is dry. I'm thinking on changing this method.

Shanarana
August 16th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Coconut oil....for me it works best on my hair. I use a small amount after every wash. I also use jojoba oil on my ends.

sipnsun
August 16th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Coconut oil works best for me. I use it on wet or dry hair, just whenever I think I need it.

Starr
August 16th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Sweet almond oil, shea butter and apricot kernal oil are the only ones that really work for me. . .

beyondcute
August 16th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Avocado, coconut and almond so far. I use them for almost everything. Pre-poos, to seal in moisture, for shine (usually for last day hair).

Next on my list to try is camellia, jojoba and monoi.

starla_zero
August 16th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Camellia, on dry hair at night. Fantastic stuff :)

ChloeDharma
August 16th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Coconut is the one i use the most of. On the length i mainly use dabur vatika coconut oil, on my scalp bhringraj and other herbs infused in coconut oil.
I use the vatika straight after washing lightly, then within a day or so i heavily oil with it and keep topping up as needed leaving it to soak in for a few days. The scalp oil i use about 2-4 times a week, with a scalp massage.
Sometimes for a light oiling and shine i use Jojoba oil or Broccoli seed oil.

renarok
August 16th, 2008, 07:25 PM
emu/camellia combo. About 7 drops rubbed on palms and worked thru my hair working from the bottom up. I used to work it in lightly, but lately I have been more diligent and I've been working it in better. I use it daily. I also have a hair butter that I use. It contains Coconut, shea, meadowfoam seed oil, emu, sal butter and vit e. It is heavier and I use it pre wash.

spidermom
August 16th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Coconut oil. Also olive oil. I've used it on freshly washed, damp hair, also dry hair. Lately I've been giving myself a heavy oiling 12-24 hours before I plan to wash my hair. So far I like this method a lot. My hair gets more waves and spirals with this routine.

Patrycja
August 16th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I've been uisng a little bit of coconut oil on my wet hair from my ears down.I just got a bottle of Camellia in so I can't wait to see how that does in my hair.I also use jojoba all over my hair if I want to switch from coconut.Being since jojoba is considerly lighter than coconut,I use the jojoba all over my head.If I put coconut on my roots-even a itty bit,I have the greasies on DD 2 (dirty day btw).I also use various EO's along with my carriers.I have put a BPAL scent in my oil.I love how those smell in the hair :inlove:

Saranne772
August 17th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Coconut and sweetalmond atm.

Coconut is awesome but sweet almond is mediocre for me

plainjanegirl
August 17th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I have been using coconut for a month or two now. I mainly use it really, really heavy the night or day before I wash my hair. I tried castor and also evoo and they seemed to heavy (they were very hard to get washed out).

pariate
August 17th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I've been using avocado and jojoba for the last 10 months or so. I add it to my AGO mix and apply it that way. I recently got a new jar of coconut oil and I'm going to give that another go I think. I'll rub a tiny amount between my palms and smooth my palms over damp/barely dry hair.

Elanor
August 17th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Almond oil or papaya seed oil or to protect the ends. I rub a small amount on my braid tassel or mix them to my leave-in.
Virgin coconut oil for heavy oilings and as an ingredient in my home cooked deep treatments.

nellen
August 17th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Plum kernel oil, camellia oil and jojoba oil for shine and definition and sometimes for heavy oilings. Cocoa butter or avocado oil with conditioner for deep treatments.

Fireweed
August 17th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Olive oil with a few dropes of lavender essential oil. I use a little oil at each comb out.

prosperina
August 17th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I use jojoba oil on a fairly regular basis. In a pinch I will use olive oil if there's nothing else and my hair is really dry. I use coconut oil for deep treatments as it's too rich and heavy for a regular leave in; even in small amounts it makes my hair too oil and gunky. I've got to start remembering to oil then ends of my hair when wet...I get lazy.

sexyjacksparrow
August 17th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Coconut oil. On the days I wear my hair up (and so don't need any styling product to hold my curls) I put a fingernailful in damp hair before styling.

Also, maybe twice a month I like to use a larger amount on dry hair as a pre-wash treatment.

D-eath
August 18th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Coconut Oil. Sometimes olive oil, but that's not so common.

nappywomyn
August 18th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Castor Oil. Just a tiny bit rubbed between my palms then stroked down/through my damp hair after I cowash it.

mira-chan
August 18th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Coconut, sesame and camellia oils.

Camellia for on the length, Sesame mixed with EOs on the scalp, coconut by itself on length, mixed with other oils on scalp. Coconut oil is a warm weather only oil, the others are fore the cooler months.

Brownie
August 18th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I use Jojoba and Baby oil. I'd like to try Coconut oil, Safflower oil didn't work for me (or do you say thistle? I don't know it, my dictionary said safflower).

plainjanegirl
August 18th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I use Jojoba and Baby oil. I'd like to try Coconut oil, Safflower oil didn't work for me (or do you say thistle? I don't know it, my dictionary said safflower).

I didn't know you could use baby oil in your hair. I may have to try some since it is pretty cheap and I always have some around. How do you use it as a pre wash oiling, etc?

vindo
August 18th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I use Camellia or Coconut Oil, I applly it on dry hair on days 3-6 after washing, not the 7th..other wise it wont wash out. Since I do it so frequently I dont use a whole lot, just so much that every part of my lengths gets a little oil.
I leave it in and reapply if I have to. And yes the greasy hair is mostly up :D

Elenna
August 21st, 2008, 01:13 AM
Coconut oil prior to washing.

Camellia oil as a leave in after washing.

It works for me. My hair had been dry and brittle and now it is much softer.

Tapioca
August 21st, 2008, 09:30 AM
I'll use coconut occasionally for a deep treat that I'm going to wash out before leaving the house. For daily use, I mix jojoba and aloe and apply to towel-dried hair. My face loves it as a moisturizer, too.

chrissy-b
August 21st, 2008, 04:01 PM
I mainly use coconut and jojoba oils on wet hair, and occasionally EVOO for deep treatments. I can use oils on my hair when dry but it seems to look less oily when I apply it to wet hair.

GlassEyes
August 21st, 2008, 04:46 PM
I use Jojoba, coconut, and Olive oil in a version of Kimberlily's coconut oil butter. I also use straight olive oil. (:

Arctic
August 21st, 2008, 05:02 PM
I have most experiences with coconut oil and olive oil (EVOO). Coconut makes my hair feel stronger, while EVOO makes it feel more moisturized. (Unfortunately it seems coconut oil isn't agreeing with my skin..)

Lately I bought watermelon seed oil, kukuinut oil, and murumuru butter, and also got some shea butter on my hands. It's still too early to say anything specific about these new oils and butters, though. Both watermelon seed and kukuinut are very light, watermelon seed oil seems to give more slip than olive or coconut, and it's easy to over oil even though it's so light. Murumuru butter is very hard but it melts in the hands. haven't tried it on hair yet. Shea seems to make my hair really soft and it's difficult to apply evenly. I need a lot more testing :D (fun, fun!)

Olive oil does a wonderful job as a leave-in on damp hair (I always oil when hair is damp), but makes terrible deep oil treatment, because it's so hard to wash out. Coconut oil is easy to apply right amounth, and it washes out really easily if used for deep oiling. Also watermelonseed oil washes out easily if used for deep oiling (or over oil ;) ).

I have a nice evening haircare ritual: I comb my hair (with wide toothed seamless comb), moisten it with water, mist with aloe vera juice, sometimes I add a bit of watered down conditioner if my hair seems to need it, and at the end, a drop of oil. Bun and tie a cotton bandanna over the high bun. --> wonderful, moisturized hair in the morning :cloud9:
I also oil after each CWC.

If someone would have told me 2 years ago that I would be putting regularly oil on my hair voluntarily, I wouldn't have believed them! :D

LilyMunster
August 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM
I have been using Burt's Bee's Repair Serum, With Attar of Rose.
It's for the face and works great in my hair.
I apply it after a wash or heavy misting.
The ingredients are
Rosehip seed oil
jojoba oil
lavender oil
vitamin E oil
evening primrose oil
borage seedoil
wheat germ oil
hazelnut oil
neroli oil
rose oil
calendula extract
green tea extract

It slowly sinks in over 2 days. I really saturate the length and just use enough to tame flyaways on the canopy and nape.

freznow
August 21st, 2008, 06:41 PM
I use jojoba and grapeseed oil. They each have their purposes, grapeseed is a lighter oil and more for daily use for me, jojoba is a more protective oil that I use when my hair's already in a condition I like.

I've tried coconut, but I didn't use it enough to justify a whole container of it. So any coconut oil I use is from shampoo bars and such.

Phalaenopsis
August 22nd, 2008, 11:28 AM
0nce in a while, some coconut oil :)
And sometimes ylang-ylang oil for fragrance in my hair

Little_Bird
August 23rd, 2008, 03:23 PM
I use jojoba oil. I use it once a week, after washing my hair. I divide my hair in two and use about 4 drops on each side (this is a new method, I used to use more oil but it was making my hair feel greasy). I can reapply in the ends and massage them more. To apply it I just slide my palms trough the lenght untill it feels uniform, straight and shiny. I don't comb my hair when wet so I just let it airdry and then comb with care. Ta dah!!!

:flower:

Sakura07
August 23rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
Normally I use coconut oil. But at the moment I"m trying Dabur Vatika Oil, which is coconut oil based.

Slug Yoga
August 24th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I've used jojoba oil but wasn't that happy with it. It seemed to either have like no noticeable effect, or to make things look greasy and piecy-looking. I very recently started using coconut oil, and I'm really liking that so far. It makes my hair feel heavy and shiny without being greasy.

RedElephant
August 24th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I love coconut oil and castoe oil. They make my hair so soft without being greasy. My hair hated olive oil. It was too greasy and it made my hair somewhat hard.

cani
August 27th, 2008, 07:04 AM
at the moment i use coconut oil. i use a small amount in almoust dry hair after washing. sometimes i also oil the dry hair when it becomes chrunchy a few days after washning it- works for me.
and i love prewash oil treatmans, too. for that i use a bigger amount of oil, massage it in my dry hair and wash it out with shampoo after a few hours.

CaityBear
August 27th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I use EVOO, and usually put a tiny bit in my palm then spread on my length, and I use it for my overnight oilings as well.

I have grapeseed oil that I use on my length every now and then. I like to use it for my face a lot, too.

And I recently got coconut oil! :) And so far I'm just using that on my length.

And when I use on my length, it's usually when it's dry.

HairyCarrie
August 27th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I'm still a shorty and shampoo/condition or CO every day. With that in mind, I use jojoba oil every night - 2-4 drops rubbed between my hands then applied throughout my dry hair.

After blowdrying my hair each day, I put 1-2 drops jojoba rubbed between my hands til it just glistens, then pat that on top as a "gloss" product. When I get longer hair I'll stop blowdrying, so I may not need oil then.

So far I like the results. I now use the jojoba to take make-up off at night and with a little aloe vera as a moisturizer. I like using one product for multiple things.

Darkhorse1
August 27th, 2008, 09:08 AM
So far, I've just tried olive oil and didn't do it right ;) too much, so my hair is pretty flat. Oh well, it looks great and feels soft, soft, soft and is shiny!

LadyLongLocks
August 28th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Jojoba, sweet almond and coconut.

I melt the coconut oil and mix it with conditioner and water for a pre wash conditioner or leave it on longer for deep conditioning.

Jojoba is used to smooth the hair after washed and dried.

Jojoba or almond is added to my after shampoo conditioner (mostly in the dry winter months)

Sometimes I use any of the 3 on the dry ends before I make a bun.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/BANNERS%20FOR%20LINKING/sig2-2lhc.jpg

zen_oven
August 28th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I mist, let my hair dry fully, and then use jojoba. I rub a couple drops between my palms and run it down my length, with maybe a little extra on my ends. I do this before bed and usually put it in two braids to sleep. The misting seems to give my hair some moisture and the jojoba locks it in for the night.

I'd like to try sweet almond at some point.

melikai
August 28th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Sometimes I use olive oil and apply it to my ends when they are dry, leave it in overnight and then wash it out. I also like to use a very tiny amount of monoi oil on the tips of my hair when it is damp after washing, because I love the smell.

-Lisa-
February 28th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I use sweet almond oil and apricot kernal oil by Primavera, unrefined sheabutter and coconut oil (Logona, Ceres)

My favorite is coconut oil *yummy*.

PrincessColene
March 22nd, 2009, 03:07 PM
I'm actually here looking for suggestions on what to use...I can't stand the smell of coconut so I think I'll try jojoba.

AcadieAnne
March 22nd, 2009, 11:36 PM
I use coconut oil as a leave-in, and reapply when needed. I tried it for a prewash once, and it didn't seem to me to do a whole lot. But as a leave-in, I find it to be almost miraculous.

gmdiaz
March 23rd, 2009, 12:40 PM
I have been using Living Food's Garden of Life, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil mostly.

I love to do a heavy coating one day during the weekend, bun up and let soak overnight, washing the following day.

When my hair is just towel-dry, I rub a small amount, enough to cover my thumb nail, along the length and especially near the ends.

A tiny bit is great for flyaway hairs. Just rub a bit lightly on top to smooth the hairs down just.

I am now testing out jojoba. . .it's lighter than the coconut oil and even a very small amount, very lightly applied to towl dry hair, makes my locks super shiny. Makes my bunned up hair smoother and looks more polished too, without looking greasy.

I'd like to try the camilla oil next, I think. . . gonna go check for sources.

Ndnlady
March 25th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I just recently changed to avocado oil from grapeseed oil, and I like to put a drop or 2 on my ends before bed. If I remember I will put a couple drops on my ends after I have washed my hair.

Gutterfayrie
March 25th, 2009, 01:52 AM
another vote for coconut oil. I usually (not always) put some one my ends after washing, and I'll apply more the next day if my hair has static. Once every 3 weeks I do a heavy oiling. I could probably stand to do that more often.

hennaphile
March 25th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I like coconut oil best, but i have trouble washing it out (shampoo bar, clay based shampoo, and light condition).

How much should you use for overnight pre-shampoo treatment?

Any tricks to getting it out?

JamieLeigh
March 26th, 2009, 05:48 PM
So far I've only ever tried EVOO, and I put it in a few hours before a CO. I don't really care for the smell of it, so I don't put it in after washing, as I sleep with my hair loose and it would be literally in my nostrils all night. I'd like to try coconut in the near future. :)

princess
March 28th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I use coconut oil before washing my hair. Leave it for about an hour and wash it off with shikakai and aritha combination.

I do not use any leave in oils right now but almond oil works well sometimes when I need to control friz.

Ash
March 28th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Avocado oil is my favorite (cooking grade oil, not cosmetic grade), it seems to have helped my hair thicken up. I alternate between that when I can find it and walnut oil for a heavy oiling left in overnight. I use a fingerful of coconut oil every day on freshly washed hair as a leave in. Other oils I use occasionally are jojoba, olive, and macadamia.

Peter
March 28th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I use mainly coconut oil on damp or dry hair. Sometimes if my ends are really feeling rough, I'll use a bit of olive oil.

rose_in_bloom
March 28th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Coconut oil is definitely my favorite. It smells nice and doesn't make my hair greasy.

Upside Down
March 30th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I just started using wheat germ oil and love it. It curls up my hair quite a bit and makes it wonderuly soft.

Haven't tried all that many oils, just shea, jojoba and castor (for the scalp). But, there aren't many to buy where I live, so... :) I am happy wheat germ works so well.

winter_star
March 31st, 2009, 03:51 AM
A small dab of coconut oil keeps the frizzies away.

HotRag
April 3rd, 2009, 03:05 AM
I use Hesh bhringraj on my scalp before wash.

To protect ends and length during wash, I am testing different oils by now. Sesame oil is the best for now, and today I am comparing sesame and avocado.

For leave in, I use Camellia oil. When it is run out, I think I will use rice bran oil.

jay0
April 22nd, 2009, 01:01 PM
A bit of coconut oil.

Marika
April 23rd, 2009, 03:10 AM
Coconut oil is my favourite. I use it on damp (almost wet) or dry hair, both works. Almond oil comes as a close second. For some reason, jojoba oil doesn't work very well on my hair. It seems like it's too heavy for my hair even though jojoba oil is supposed to be quite light...?

Currently I'm using Anita Grant's Vanilla & Coconut oil. It smells heavenly but it's a bit too expensive especially if you use it on your body too!:)

Copasetic
April 23rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
I use coconut oil, and I rub a little bit between my hands and put it in my hair from the ears down after I wash it. When my hair is dry, I put a teeny bit on the ends before I go to bed.

princess
April 23rd, 2009, 10:01 AM
I do not use much leave in oils but when I use I use sweet almond oil and this is very absorbant and leaves hair shining and smooth.

almudena
April 23rd, 2009, 10:05 AM
About four drops of Nightblooming's Triple Moon Hair Anointing Oil over my damp length.

Eden Iris
April 23rd, 2009, 10:35 AM
A small amount of coconut on the ends and length, about twice a week, once after washing. When the weather is very dry or my hair is looking particularly sad I use olive instead.

eshta
April 24th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I use coconut oil and do a very light oiling on the lenght and a generous blob on the ends every night. When I feel like it I'll do a heavy oiling the night before washing and massage some on my scalp an hour before washing.

Flynn
April 25th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Has anyone tried rice bran oil yet?

I know it's very high in vitamin E, and has only 20% saturated fats, but what my hair might think of that, I don't know yet.

I'm going to give it a shot; it can't be too different from good ol' olive oil, right? And when it doesn't work, it always washes out. XD

fishwich
April 25th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I use all olive all the time. I love the earthy scent and how soft it makes my hair. I just dribble about half a teaspoon on the ends and comb it to spread it around a bit, then braid.

Kristen_Marie
April 26th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I've only started using oils recently and haven't had much time to experiment, but I read online that for my hair type (thick and occassionally oily) the best type of oil to use is sesame oil. (Mixed with a bit of rosemary) I've tried it once with great success! (I massaged my scalp with it and combed through to ends, using a bit more there.)

I have been curious though - are oils like lilac, vanilla orange and other similarly scented types useable for hair? I don't know if they'd have any benefits other than smelling good, but I'm quite fond of the essential oils on www.somaluna.com (http://www.somaluna.com)

Has anyone tried them?

tevta
April 27th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I'm using coconut oil, but only before washing my hair. I completely soak my hair in it, braid two braids and go to sleep. In the morning, i just comb again and wash. CO for few weeks now.

lovelygirl8315
May 27th, 2009, 02:20 AM
i use coconut hair milk, oil, argane and amla

Lem
May 27th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I've been using jojoba for several time. Then shea butter, mango butter, avocado oil, monoi, and an indian coconut oil with henna, amla and lemon. This one is perfect for summer

herbgurl82
May 27th, 2009, 09:25 AM
For a pre-wash treatment, I use Vatika coconut hair oil on my scalp and Africa's Best Herbal Oil on my length. (I have used both refined, and unrefined coconut oil as a prewash in the past, but my tub of oil has vanished...) Occasionally, in damp hair, after washing, I either use jojoba oil, or grapeseed oil, sometimes a mix.

Tracionera
May 27th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I've been using coconut oil, Castor oil and just started using sweet almond oil. The first two I've been using in weekly hot oil treatments and the third I apply to my hair as a serum.

I also use Miessence Rejuvenessence Facial Serum (http://marylynn.mionegroup.com/en/product/11701) on my ends. It's a blend of certified organic rosehip seed, avocado and jojoba oil, among other lovely ingredients. Even though it's not originally designed for hair, I find it does a great job making my hair silky and smooth. It also smells heavenly!

joyellen
May 27th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I use sweet almond oil as a pre-wash treatment. I want to try camellia oil sometime in the near future, but I don't know when I'll actually get around to it.

chelssix
May 27th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Olive oil. And vegetable oil, in a pinch.

watermelon
June 15th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Organic jojoba oil, I've had a bottle of it for a long time. My skin doesn't really like it so I use it on my ends. I like coconut oil and I would love to try some new oils.

demitasse
June 15th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I just started using coconut oil and it's like someone's given me a whole new head of hair. The frizz I've dealt with my entire life is gone. I barely recognize these nice smooth waves. I've even gained about an inch now that my hair is lying normally rather than poofing out from my head.

I apply a little after it's washed as an anti-frizz serum. I also do a heavier oiling wrapped in a bun the night before I wash it.

Can't believe I waited so long to try it.

bahannas
June 15th, 2009, 08:07 PM
EVOO work great for me, though I have yet to experiment with any others.

shakin_m
June 15th, 2009, 11:15 PM
another coconut oil, on wet and dry hair, use to use Jojoba but after awhile would only get crunchy not matter how I used it

RocketDog
June 15th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I mix virgin coconut oil and jojoba oil together, and apply it liberally to damp hair (I use a mister bottle filled with tapwater mixed with a few drops of tea tree/lavender oil). I usually sleep on my oiled hair, and wash it out the following morning. If I wash carefully I can rinse out most of the oil, but leave enough in the ends to keep things from getting too tangly when my hair dries.

irreverent
June 16th, 2009, 10:01 AM
grapeseed, evoo, and sweet almond are the ones I'm testing. so far I like sweet almond and EVOO best!

Kelsey89
June 16th, 2009, 07:26 PM
So far I've only used coconut oil. I put it mainly on my ends, and also the length too a day before I wash my hair.

VanillaTresses
June 16th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I use olive oil and also sometimes coconut oil. I find the olive oil to be more moisturizing and the coconut oil to be more cleansing. I also find the coconut oil to lend a sort of "cooling" effect to the scalp.

For a leave-in, I apply the oil sparingly on dry hair, rubbing a bit between the palms of my hands before smoothing it over the ends.

For a deep treatment, I apply about 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil (much easier to wash out than the olive oil, in my opinion)* to my scalp and hair, cover with a bandanna and then top the whole thing off with a wool cap. I let this sit for at least half an hour and then shampoo 2-3 times.

*In fact, I have only saturated my hair with olive oil once and I deeply regretted it-- it took so many washings to get it all out. I wouldn't personally recommend it! :)

mwedzi
June 16th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I use castor oil mostly. I didn't like it when I first tried it, but now I think it's great, especially for my ends. It really helps with tangling. Other than that, I use coconut or olive oil.

nowxisxforever
June 16th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Coconut oil, jojoba oil... depending on where I am. I keep my jojoba in the bathroom and my coconut at my computer desk.

redneckprincess
June 16th, 2009, 07:52 PM
placenta oil, jojoba oil, and sometimes EVOO, I'm trying to get some coconut oil if i can ever find it

Gingevere
June 16th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I use organic jojoba oil for the time being. I like it because it's nice and light, but I'd like to try coconut oil when the bottle's used up. My ends need a bit more moisture.

curls2grow
June 16th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Loving coconut oil. It's lightweight and seems to be effective in keeping my bit o' length moisturized and helping my ends not get crunchy.

coolbreeze212
June 16th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I've tried both jojoba and coconut. My hair much prefers coconut (and I love the scent...yum!). I usually add just a smidge to my ends and length after cleansing while it's still damp.

MandaMom2Three
June 16th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I like avocado oil for overnight pre-wash oilings. I've just started applying a drop of castor oil to my ends in the evening, so far so good, makes them softer, I've also started using it in my SMTs. Coconut just doesn't do anything for me :shrug: I keep trying though because so many others have such great results with it! I know my hair used to like emu and jojoba oils but I've been out for a long time, I'll have to pick up some more. Sweet Almond did nothing for me either. Shea didn't seem all that wonderful but I want to try again. I would like to try cocoa butter sometime, camellia oil too,

Neddy
June 16th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I like oil mixed into my conditioner (sometimes my leave in) and lightly smoothed over hair as a frizz fighter. I will sometimes heavily oil it before a wash day, but not normally because it wrecks my curls' appearance I think. I like jojoba and grapeseed the best. Now using grapeseed, because it is about 3 times cheaper then jojoba, and I have a lot of hair!

Oh, and coconut oil. Used as a DT mostly, and as a usual body moisturizer. Also, eating a spoonful of it a day is supposed to help your hair grown strong and shiny from the inside out!

masterofmidgets
June 17th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Jojoba oil!

I use a couple drops smoothed on the ends and length while my hair's still wet, to help tame the frizziness I get sometimes. And the night before I wash, I put as much as I can on before I braid, as a deeper moisture treatment.

I'd like to try coconut oil, but none of the stores around here seem to carry it. It's a bit perplexing. But as soon as I can get ahold of a jar I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Debra83
June 17th, 2009, 12:35 AM
camellia just about every night on dry hair. I keep it next to my computer so while I'm on LHC, I put a little on my hands and spread it through my hair.

coconut oil more sporadically. I use that in the bathroom before or after I've washed my hair. Definitely not daily as I find it makes my hair look greasy if I don't get just the right amount. But coconut oil is an ingredient in my two leave ins that I use daily.

chandeen
June 17th, 2009, 03:21 PM
shea butter!
all the time and everywhere ^^

ericthegreat
June 18th, 2009, 03:03 AM
I have used every kind of oil imagineable on my hair. If its edible, I've probably experimented with it. I've used olive oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, peanut oil, corn oil, sweet almond oil, and avocado oil as oil treatments in my hair at one time or another. I have found that coconut oil and avocado oil work the best for my locks. I've also tried jojoba oil which is technically not an oil at all but a liquid wax, and Frederic Fekkai's Shea Butter line of hair conditioner , hair mask and shampoo.

Aunteater
June 18th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Coconut oil twice a week, on the night before a shampoo-- a whole day before a shampoo if I'm putting my hair in pigtails. Brush out my hair, take a tsp or so , rub it on my hands and then finger-comb it into my hair from the ears down.

Jojoba oil whenever the ends start looking dull and haystack-ish: Brush out my hair, put ONE drop of oil in my hand, rub hands together, run hands down the last 10 inches of hair until it's blended in. Repeat.

Madame J
June 18th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Virgin coconut oil, Triple Moon Anointing Oil (from NightBlooming, Nightshade's Etsy store, mostly Sunflower oil), or a shea butter balm that also has hazelnut, sweet almond, and jojoba oils. I really like the shea balm when my ends feel frizzly -- I smooth it on the end of my sleeping braid the night before wash day.

I mostly pre-oil and scalp oil with Triple Moon, and will sometimes pre-oil with VCO as well. I post-oil with VCO most often, but sometimes with the shea butter, and usually only after washing. If I've WOed my hair and the ends had felt dry before, I'll oil damp, unwashed hair.

NotOfThisWorld
June 18th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I've only used Olive oil, just doing a treatment when ever I felt like I needed it (every six months at least, though I should have done it more than that)... but I recently bought some grapeseed oil to cook with... and am trying just combing a few drops in here and there. I have like an ounce of it with one drop of lavender - it carries the scent very nicely.

Desideira
June 20th, 2009, 01:34 AM
I use coconut oil. I put it on dry hair before washing with shampoo. Its the only oil that easily removed with shampoo form my hair:)

for some time I have been using sesa oil and it did wonders when my hair was thining.Its started to grew back and had lots of compliments form my familly about it smell:D but its something that you suppose to put on the scalp so i use it very rearly becase I have enought of my own oils:D

Heavenly Locks
June 20th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Coconut, dry hair only :)

This much at a time, on canopy and ends then combed through.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/HeavenlyJumper/DSC_0024-2.jpg

swanns
June 20th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I use coconut, canola and olive oil for heavy oilings. When I've oiled with one of them I'm definitely not going to go out in public without a scarf. For light oiling, like to keep fly-aways away, I use jojoba oil.

Camee
June 20th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I tried using my OCM oil on my hair, which is a blend of grapeseed (75%), castor oil (22.5%) and tea tree oil (2.5%). It made my ends crunchier, not sure which oil caused it. Might have been the castor, as using the grapeseed alone was fine.

Just picked up some coconut oil and when applied to the length when dry, it feels lovely. Made my hair feel soft and smooth and healthy. I'll be interested to see how it goes!

chotee
June 20th, 2009, 06:40 AM
I use castor oil + Neelibringadi oil for a night or 2 for a nice soak...(once a week)

Other times, i use very little coconut oil or spray my hair with water+rosemary or use Navaratna oil (made of mint) or very little monoi oil....I try to keep it minimum so i don't end up washing my hair all the time i go out....

Unnamed
June 20th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Been using about 4-8 drops (and 6-8 can be too much :lol: ) of jojoba oil on still wet from being washed hair after applying a pea-sized bit of conditioner. That's the only way my hair will take oil, and so far the only oil it's really 'liked' (other than palm oil, and not sure where to get the bleached/white stuff on that, and also not really been able to give a long shot at using it as a leave-in).

Jinx2234
June 20th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I use a little coconut oil on wet hair after washing my hair. I also use a bit of coconut oil on dry hair before braiding my hair for bed (from the ears down). I recently bought some jojoba oil, so I have been using that at night, it seems to work better than the coconut since its lighter and hasn't left my hair greasy looking yet. I want to try the jojoba oil on wet hair next time I wash my hair. When I do a SMT I put a few drops of coconut oil in the mixture.

When I do a heavy oiling I make a mixture of coconut oil and EVOO and spread it over my whole head and the entire length of my hair, then let it sit overnight and wash it out the next day. That seems to leave my hair more moisturized than plain coconut oil or plain EVOO. I'm going to try a mixture of coconut, jojoba and EVOO for my next heavy oiling.

Krystyle
June 20th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I'm actually here looking for suggestions on what to use...I can't stand the smell of coconut so I think I'll try jojoba.

If you don't like the smell of the coconut but still like what it does for your hair, maybe you can try adding an essential oil to it. I love coconut oil it my hair and put a little bit of lavender to offset the smell but my husband isn't too fond of the lavender so I want to try something else.

NotOfThisWorld
June 20th, 2009, 08:00 PM
If you don't like the smell of the coconut but still like what it does for your hair, maybe you can try adding an essential oil to it. I love coconut oil it my hair and put a little bit of lavender to offset the smell but my husband isn't too fond of the lavender so I want to try something else.

a friend of mine has Lilac essential oil. You could try something like that.

Krystyle
June 20th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Has anyone tried rice bran oil yet?

I know it's very high in vitamin E, and has only 20% saturated fats, but what my hair might think of that, I don't know yet.

I'm going to give it a shot; it can't be too different from good ol' olive oil, right? And when it doesn't work, it always washes out. XD

I've been hoping somebody would say they use it. I hear it helps protect your hair from the sun but I haven't been able to try it yet. I haven't even found it in any store yet either....

Krystyle
June 20th, 2009, 08:05 PM
a friend of mine has Lilac essential oil. You could try something like that.

Thanks. I never thought of lilac. I was thinking Jasmine.

swirlytresses
June 23rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
I've been using coconut oil lately. I had originally gotten a jar to cook with, tried it in my hair before finding LHC and didn't really know what I was doing. I did a deep treatment with it today and like the results. I've been putting some in my hair after I wash and it soaks right in. I've also been using some africas best oil (from Walmart) and got good results with that. I've recently gotten some Macadamia, sweet almond, camellia, and grapeseed too. Since we are moving, I had to pack them but I'm anxious to experiment with them. :)

Kiraela
June 23rd, 2009, 08:04 PM
I just got some jojoba and I'm liking it so far. I was using EVOO but it was a little heavy for my hair and didn't absorb at all.

horseprincess
June 23rd, 2009, 08:14 PM
I 've been using EVOO. I take some in my plans, an rub all over my entire length. I do this the night before I wash or a hour or two beforehand...

mrs carol
June 23rd, 2009, 08:20 PM
Jojoba oil works well for me. I put it on the ends of my hair when its dry.

swirlytresses
June 23rd, 2009, 08:23 PM
I may have to try Jojoba oil too. I have a small bottle I bought to add to my homemade hair concoctions. :)

RoseRedDead
June 23rd, 2009, 08:33 PM
I use extra virgin olive oil and jojoba. I tried coconut for the longest time, but it just didn't work for me. Now I'm beginning to think that I used too much.

JKRBeloved
June 23rd, 2009, 09:54 PM
I use a bit of coconut oil as my last scrunch in the morning on wet hair, mixed with a drop of lemon oil (I LOVE the aroma the lemon oil gives)

Chamomile betty
June 24th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I have found that coconut works best for me. I bought some from Puritan's Pride. I'll coat my hair one day a week, usually on Sunday, and let it soak in and rinse out that evening.
What is left on my hands I rub on my feet, elbows, knees etc.

pixiechick
June 26th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I love the japanese camellia oil. It is the only oil I can use which doesn't make my hair go flat.

Cake
June 28th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I do heavy oilings on dry hair with:
EVOO
Avocado oil
Shea butter
Coconut oil
Sweet almond oil

And use as a leave-in after washing on wet hair:
Monoi oil
Coconut oil
Jojoba oil

GlassEyes
June 28th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I've increased my oil usage. I use jojoba (it's meh in my hair, but I'm trying to get rid of it), coconut (love this stuff for my hair AND face), olive oil (same as coconut as per usage, can be used for leave-in aid or oilings), safflower oil (it's another 'meh' thing for me), and castor oil, which I've started to use on my hair, and has been pretty great.

I also use Shea Butter, which is only good in recipes, and have used cocoa and mango butter in the past, neither of which were great.

NotOfThisWorld
June 28th, 2009, 02:48 PM
yesterday we went to the Coast - winds were supposed to be 7mph... but were more like... 20-30. ugh. I had my hair in a braid, but nevertheless all the hair that the wind could pull out of my braid and the top of my head was just such a mess... So horribly knotted. And I avoided the wind as much as I could. I combed it out today using mostly my fingers, and my grapeseed/lavender oil, and then with my favorite brush. I wasn't easy, but better than it would have been without the oil. I've never used an oil to help detangle before.

I usually try to bring a scarf to keep my hair tight and under something. So it's not subject to the wind's whim.

Nanni
June 29th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I also use monoi oil on my ends when my hair is damp. But I have had some crunchy ends lately even though I just trimmed them. Maybe I should try jojoba oil in stead at my next wash.

Charlotte
June 29th, 2009, 03:39 AM
EVOO tends to make my hair very wavy (nice) but a bit crunchy (not so nice) although the extra volume was great... Coconut oil had about the same effect. My favourite so far would have to be almond oil (food grade); it has given me lovely waves and more volume (I sleep in it all night as a deep treatment and wash out in the next morning) and I've never ever felt my hair so soft, silky and super shiny. :D

paintedmuse
June 29th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I use coconut and EVO oil. Mostly coconut though. The smell is really nice, and it leaves my hair really soft. But after I've used it for about two weeks, I don't seem to get that good results anymore. Then I stop and pause for a few weeks. :)

desertgirl
June 29th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I use Dabur Amla Gold (it has Amla, henna and almond oils in it). I put it in my hair after it has dried from it's wash and then every day after that when my hair feels dry.

Occasionally I use EVOO for a pre-wash conditioning.

KarpatiiSiv
June 29th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I've just started using Jojoba oil and it appears to be working well. I only put it on the ends of my hair when its dry just after washing.

Flotsum
June 29th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I use shea butter, olive oil, and tea tree oil. I want to try coconut oil and jojoba oil.

may1em
June 29th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Coconut either by itself, mixed with EOs for my scalp (though I plan to switch to almond or jojoba at some point for that - the goopiness isn't great for ease of use on scalp), or as part of Fox's shea cream with shea butter and conditioner.

Olive and almond on my length = badness. Jojoba worked ok, but coconut works better. The two mixed together can do great things, though. :)

Mrs.X
June 30th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I've been using Jojoba oil for a couple of weeks which seems to be working well, i run a couple of drops through damp hair after i've washed it and sometimes add a tiny bit to the ends between washes if they feel a bit dry or if i want some shine.

Lize
June 30th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Right now olive oil, but I used to have jojoba oil at home. I am planning to buy jojoba again, and I am also planning to try coconut oil in the near future.

sweet*things
June 30th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I use monoi oil, either as a pre-wash treatment, or on the length while it's damp after a wash.

dulce-de-leche
July 1st, 2009, 08:39 PM
I've been oiling with coconut oil.I just rub a bit between my palms and lightly oil through out all my hair especially at the ends where it's dryer usually every other day and depending on how frizzy my hair is.I also tried Africa's best herbal oil and really liked it.the best thing about it was that it costs less than $2.00!!!

MomoKoNoHanna
July 2nd, 2009, 06:17 AM
I use Coconut oil on my length and Jojoba oil on my scalp.

free_hug
July 2nd, 2009, 01:36 PM
Hey dears,

i have a coconut oil question: what kind of oil do you use?

In my country you normally cant buy it, or only at some very special stores for big money. But the group of American students just left some leftover cooking coconut oil in our dorm kitchen when they left at the end of the semester- Actually i ve been happily using it as an after-shower lotion, it smells lovely and is light and just good enough for a cheap lotion really. But i wonder if i could use it for my ends too, or should i go get something more "professional", or maybe i shouldn't even use cooking coconut oil on my skin either :) i doubt the latter though.

Thanks for all answers.

ilyasviel
July 3rd, 2009, 05:25 AM
I use almond or olive oil and simply rub it on my ends after washing.

Rentlle
July 5th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Olive.
I braid my hair and put the oil in it.
Let it in for a night and rinse it out with a lot of co in the morning :)

JKRBeloved
July 7th, 2009, 06:52 PM
i have a coconut oil question: what kind of oil do you use?

In my country you normally cant buy it, or only at some very special stores for big money. But the group of American students just left some leftover cooking coconut oil in our dorm kitchen when they left at the end of the semester- Actually i ve been happily using it as an after-shower lotion, it smells lovely and is light and just good enough for a cheap lotion really. But i wonder if i could use it for my ends too, or should i go get something more "professional", or maybe i shouldn't even use cooking coconut oil on my skin either :) i doubt the latter though.

Free Hug, I use an extra virgin food grade coconut oil I buy at a health food store. Since the one you are using smells good, you might as well try it out on your hair and see how you like it.

Fiferstone
July 7th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Coconut oil, the night before washday

Arctic_Mama
July 7th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I use coconut oil out of sheer laziness to try something else, it works well enough. I have tried jojoba oil and I don't recall liking it too much, but I'd love to give it another try. Olive oil just seems too heavy for my fine hair.

Gabrielle
July 18th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Macadamia Oil has done wonderful things for my hair! My hair is very dry and absorbs this oil easily although if I put too much it may take longer to sink in. Also, rosehip oil is fabulous for my curls. I found that if I use rosehip oil everyday it tends to build up and since I only wash my hair ends once a week---at most---daily application of rosehip oil is too much.

Shiva
July 18th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I'm currently using coconut oil and loving it.

I have some camellia oil on order right now and am looking forward to trying that one out.

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 18th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Coconut & EVOO. I'd like to try some other oils like jojoba and avacado too though :)

Vrushali
July 18th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I am using Dabur Vatika (essentially coconut oil with lemon n henna in it ...according to the bottle :)) and EVOO

Fireweed
July 18th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Most of the time olive oil for my hair. I love the coconut on my skin. Ihave been tryng the cocnut on my hair every now and again too.

82exoticbeauty
July 26th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Castor Oil and Camellia Oil! They work wonders for my hair and scalp, the growth, and maintaining thickness! I leave it on overnight, sometimes stretching on longer about 3 days and then wash my hair! Makes it soft and shiny! But I don't use them when I go shopping with my brother, sister, parents, and boyfriend! I do use them daily, except putting oil on hair when I go shopping, but I do put it on my ends to protect it!

Reptilia
July 26th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Jojoba! I haven't tried any others, more or less just because I really like the jojoba. It's light enough to not make my hair feel greasy!

Flynn
July 26th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Help Someone Else! Review (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showcat.php/cat/6) Today!

Vermelha
July 29th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Before and after washing, I massage my hair and scalp with Coconut Oil or Castor Oil. Doesn't matter which. It keeps my scalp clean.

Marilyn Sanmo
July 29th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I put lavender oil on my brush (bbb). I brush my hair 2 times a day.My hair looks like fresh washed after that.

Vermelha
July 29th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I put lavender oil on my brush (bbb). I brush my hair 2 times a day.My hair looks like fresh washed after that.

Ooh! What does the lavender oil do for your hair? (I bet it smells nice!)

Shadow
July 29th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Emu! It's amazing! It has transformed my hair!

(I am a shamless carnivore though :D )

:D

Marilyn Sanmo
July 29th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Ooh! What does the lavender oil do for your hair? (I bet it smells nice!)

My hair feels smooth (normaly the ends are very dry), and it isn't straggly like after i used Jojoba oil. Another positiv effect for me is that my hair, if i hadn't washed it for a few days, looks like freshly washed. It shines like weird, especially in the sun. I have tried different oils befor, but none was as good as lavender. Are more people using lavender oil here?

Laylah
July 30th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Coconut, EVOO, and shea butter. I use either the coconut or EVOO to oil my hair the night before a wash. After washing, or whenever I need it, I lightly oil the length with either oil. I use shea butter mixed with either oil on the ends almost every day.

Medievalmaniac
July 30th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I have a related question - Having just begun, I have been using coconut oil for about a week and a half now. I like the way it makes my hair feel once it has had some time in it and been brushed out, but I have a feeling it could be better...does that make sense to anyone? Now, the coconut oil I have is just the stuff in the cooking section at Wal Mart. Can anyone explain to me the difference between that and other coconut oils? (In other words - why isn't coconut oil always coconut oil, is I think the question...?) If you know what I am asking, please feel free to jump in and answer!!

Angharad
August 19th, 2009, 05:08 AM
I use coconut-, argan-, jojoba- and olive (for prewashing treatments only) oil.

It is not an oil, but I also use a lot of sheabutter, which is my favourite greasy treatment!

tangocurl
August 19th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Here's my oil experiences, just to share what they do to my fine/curly hair.

EVOO: way too heavy and difficult to get out.

Grapeseed oil: gave me crunchy ends, stringy 80s curls. What did I ever do with my LA Gear sneakers?

Shea butter: wet or dry, a thin film of this on the length and ends is very nice. This is also good if I'm going to wear my hair down and let it go curly.

Castor oil: I love how thick this makes my hair feel, even after it is all CO'ed out.

Coconut oil: wasn't a panacea when I tried it a couple years ago, but I think I should give it another chance.

Jojoba oil: I like to use this on my scalp before shampooing (sulfate- and cone-free).

Generally, I will oil liberally if I intend to CO in a few minutes or an hour or so. I will oil lightly on clean wet hair or dry hair.

I wonder if this is consistent with the experience of other people with fine hair....

lindy
August 19th, 2009, 06:10 PM
*blushing sheepishly* I have just used canola oil thus far because it is what I have on hand. It did not penetrate but I was not unhappy with the results.

I have some homemade lavender oil and rosemary oil that I made nearly 2 winters ago. I made it with safflower oil. I was pretty happy with it. I am going to see if it turned rancid or not. If it has I will see about making some more. :eyebrows:

Katrina
August 28th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Coconut oil. I always do heavy oiling an hour or more before COing and light oiling when needed. I don't oil damp hair anymore, because I end up too easily putting too much oil.

Tomato
August 28th, 2009, 05:27 AM
I started with jojoba and almond oil. Then I came across an articel about the penetration of olive and coconut oil into the hair... extremly interessting!
So I switched to olive+ coconut as a pre- wash- treatment and monoi tahiti as a day to day leave in.
My hair loves it and I love my hair!
It feels soft and not as dry as it used to do.

Sunny greetings from sunny Vienna,
Tomato

prettigurl
August 28th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I use sweet almond oil on my ends after I shampoo and occasionally I add evoo or avocado oil to my deep conditioner for extra softness.

janiejones
August 29th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I'm testing/experimenting with olive oil (lightly) before bed and then washing sometime during the next day. I want to try so many of the other oils mentioned though, they sound as though they would smell delicious!

ericthegreat
August 29th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I now almost exclusively use the official Ojon intensive oil treatment, and it has done magic on my hair!

But before Ojon, I would use either coconut, olive, or avocado oils as a pre-shampoo treatment about once every week.

11eleven
August 29th, 2009, 09:32 PM
People keep on mentioning that they love the smell of coconut oil. Umm...the one I bought has no smell. It's in a plain glass jar and the label says that it is organic virgin coconut oil and can be used for cooking, skin and hair. Weird.

s-a-m-a-r-k-a-n
August 30th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Shea butter, it's best for my hair which somehow hate coconut oil. I use natural shea butter wich has the original shea scent. Very little is needed and I can use it every day as it doesn't make my hairends sticky or dull.

hmmm
August 30th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I use Biotique's oil, which has Bhringraj in Coconut oil and goat milk as well as cow milk. It has some other herbs too, as well as Amla I think. I love it.

Lady Mary
August 30th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Coconut oil :)

skydancer7
September 1st, 2009, 06:09 PM
Well apparently, my ends love coconut oil. Finally tried it last night.

This whole time I've been using almond and always being vaguely dissatisfied. Good thing I have a whole new jar of coconut oil!

EVOO is just ok in a pinch. A little too heavy though.

swirlytresses
September 1st, 2009, 07:38 PM
slight hijack....for those of you who use sweet almond oil...how does it smell? I have some sweet almond oil that I just opened to use for the first time and was wondering how it's supposed to smell. Thanks. :)

Shiva
September 1st, 2009, 07:43 PM
I now almost exclusively use the official Ojon intensive oil treatment, and it has done magic on my hair!

But before Ojon, I would use either coconut, olive, or avocado oils as a pre-shampoo treatment about once every week.
me, too! I love it.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/NorthernXposure/emoticons/bows.gif

I even have a friend putting it in his beard now. Too funny.

Before Ojon, tho, I was flip-flopping around coconut, monoi and camellia oil... all quite nice, but I really love the ojon oil alot and the day before I wash I usually oil up my hair real good like a greaseball just because it feels so good. Maybe I'm a freak.

RocketDog
September 1st, 2009, 08:30 PM
I use a mix of jojoba and coconut oil. I do an overnight soak before wash day, and then use just a drop or two to smooth my hair down as it's drying.

Aries_jb
September 1st, 2009, 08:52 PM
Coconut oil is the one I use and like the most. I mix a bit with my leave-in conditioner to hold mositure in my hair. I apply it when damp.

I also use olive oil and I mix in my rinse-out conditioner to boost its moisturizing properties. I typically do this with my cheaper, lighter conditioners, so I don't use olive oil all the time. Occasionally I use it in the same manner I use coconut oil.

I tried jojoba and avocado and wasn't impressed. I've also tried shea and I liked it, but I found the texture kind of tacky which made it hard to apply. Next on my list to try is mango butter. I've been liking it on my face, so I'm curious to see if my hair will feel the same way.

consarnit
September 1st, 2009, 09:16 PM
I use olive oil for soaks once a fortnight and rose hip oil on my ends a couple of times a week. I'll also occasionally use coconut oil, but I find my skin likes it more than my hair does.

Rainchants
September 2nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
My hair's in love with almond and walnut oil.

Celtin
September 2nd, 2009, 11:25 PM
Not a oil, a butter: Shea-Butter. But sometimes I try Shea-butter with Monoi-oil in the ends (really only sometimes):)

silverspun
September 4th, 2009, 06:19 PM
coconut.

But it smells delicious

HoneyDrop
September 5th, 2009, 04:00 AM
- Coconut oil as a daily leave in. I only use a tiny bit. Sometimes i use it as a deep treatment. I just put a lot in my hair and sleep with it. The next morning a lot of it is soaked up by my hair and the rest I just wash out with CO. It makes my hair so soft, shiny and strong. I :heartbeat coconut oil!!
- olive oil, for hot oil treatments
- almond oil, but the results with this oil seem to be different every time. Most of the time my hair feels really good, silky and shiny when i use it but sometimes it makes my hair really crunchy and i'm not quit sure why so I don't use it as often any more.
I'm planning on trying jojoba oil too :)

emeraldfaery
September 21st, 2009, 11:45 AM
I use sweet almond oil and lately I've been using EVOO which I thought was too heavy for my hair, but I love it!

LittleOrca
September 21st, 2009, 11:50 AM
Africa's Best Oil. It's a nice mixture that smells like baby powder and is not too heavy.

lavenderblue
September 21st, 2009, 11:51 AM
Jojobaoil which I scent with e.o's.
I use a little bit after washing my hair.
Sometimes coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment, can't use coconut as a leave in though, doesn't work that way for me.

Knittergirl
September 22nd, 2009, 12:21 PM
I really like Africa's Best, but the smell gives me a bit of a headache. I haven't decieded what to try next.

ChrissieM
September 22nd, 2009, 01:01 PM
I use coconut oil...probably every other day or so. I like to put a lot in if I'm going to be wearing it up and then washing it soon.

Beldaran
September 22nd, 2009, 01:12 PM
I use my own mix that is based off Africa's Best oil as I liked it but I couldn't stand the smell at all. My mix oddly enough smells like carrot seed oil, even though there is less of that than anything else in the mix. The smell goes away once it soaks in though, unlike Africa's Best.

Other than that I have coconut oil that I use too, I had to make sure I got the unscented kind or my husband wouldn't come anywhere near me.

prittykitty
September 22nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
I just started using virgin unrefined coconut oil and so far it has helped with my dry frizzy hair. I apply just a small amount when my hair is almost dry. I put it in my palms and rub my hands together and then rub my hands though my hair. Sometimes I need to add just a little bit more oil, but not too much. Then I lightly blow dry the rest of my almost dry hair. Sometimes I add a little more oil after that. It leaves my hair very soft and easy to work with.

I am trying to get away from the blow drying but I am waiting for my hair to get longer first.

Elvi
September 22nd, 2009, 02:04 PM
As a recent member I have just switched my hair to cone-free products. So far the switch has been easy. My dryish hair clearly is absorbing well oils now. I have tried coconut butter, which softens nicely but washes away not so well, olive oil that smells not so cute and with most satisfaction sunflower oil. This seems to give my hair shine, smooths and also washes away fairly well. I have also read its antioxidants are good. Still, I have not yet tried many popular oils.

blondekate
September 22nd, 2009, 04:10 PM
I've been using camellia oil and jojoba...after reading everyone's experiences, I think I will try coconut oil next!

LittleOrca
September 22nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
I love Africa's Best Oil. It's scented like baby powder and since my mother used a lot of that on her body, it makes me think of her. :)

BeatlesFanGirl
September 23rd, 2009, 06:42 AM
Coconut, almond, olive and jojoba oil, cocoa and shea butter. I mix them and add some honey, oil my hair before washing it. If I only want to moisturize it a bit, I use a little shea butter, rub it in my palms and apply it, sometimes I add a few drops of olive and coconut. I am very happy that I can keep my hair moisturized and shiny, all cone and SLS free! :)

SpinDance
September 24th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I've been experimenting with several oils and blends recently. Years ago I picked up a bottle of hair oil, a blend, at a festival made by a family in Indiana. I didn't really know how to use it, so I think I used too much and didn't really appreciate it that much. Since I've learned here how to put on I've used it more and it does OK.

After hearing so much about coconut oil, I now have some of that which I use mainly for deep conditioning by putting on heavily before braiding for bed, then washing the next day (CWC). It seems a bit much to put on my lengths and ends without getting oily, though, so I haven't used it for every day on my hair. I do use it nearly daily on my body instead of lotion with great success. I didn't think I'd be able to handle the scent, because I don't like to eat coconut, nor the scent in suntan lotions. But the scent is nice and light, more nutty than coconutty, if that makes any sense! I like it.

The discussion about Africa's Best had me interested, but the comments about the scent warned me that I'd not be able to use it. Like Beldaran, my husband is very sensitive to scent. Lucky for me Beldaran's Hair Oil is available on etsy. I use it followed by a tiny drop of leave-in conditioner. I use 2 drops on my lengths and ends after every wash since it arrived. I apply while my hair has been towel blotted, still wet, but not dripping. Any more than 2 drops is too much.

Yesterday after a failed CO attempt I decided to try a new oil I'd picked up at the health food store when I got the coconut oil, Better Botanical's Herbal Hair Oil. I used about 6 of the big 'drops' the cap makes, spread it through the lengths and ends, and put it up for the evening as a deep treatment. I expected to need about half that much to look and feel oily.

I think all the oils have been making a difference as my hair seems shinier and smoother, but not oily and lank.

julliams
September 25th, 2009, 03:07 AM
I used extra virgin olive oil last night on an itchy scalp and I couldn't believe how it just stop the itchies instantly. I guess I must be suffering from a dry scalp as I have been trying cone verses cone free for the last month and my scalp has suffered.

I just used my fingertips which I had dipped in the oil and massaged my scalp. I left it overnight and this morning washed it out.

I would like to try coconut oil - is there a preferred brand (I'm in australia) or type I should be getting. Should I expect it to be solidified and then I just warm it up with my palms???

Dars
September 25th, 2009, 03:18 AM
I used extra virgin olive oil last night on an itchy scalp and I couldn't believe how it just stop the itchies instantly. I guess I must be suffering from a dry scalp as I have been trying cone verses cone free for the last month and my scalp has suffered.

I just used my fingertips which I had dipped in the oil and massaged my scalp. I left it overnight and this morning washed it out.

I would like to try coconut oil - is there a preferred brand (I'm in australia) or type I should be getting. Should I expect it to be solidified and then I just warm it up with my palms???

Welcome to LHC from a fellow Aussie :D I'm also interested in replies to the coconut oil. Here is a thread that you might find useful for products in Australia. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46

I'm currently using olive oil too. I apply it to my ends and sometimes the length.

DarkChocolate
September 25th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I use virgin unrefined coconut oil:) I massage it into my scalp in a liquid form once a week and every night I wet my braid tassel with water then apply coconut oil on top of the water to seal in moisture:)

hmmm
September 25th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I must warn you - I'm going to rave about a couple of products that I've come to LOVE over the past few weeks, and in enormous detail, so prepare yourself.

The one I use before washing my hair, either overnight or for a while, is the Bhringraj oil by Biotique. It is Coconut oil, containing the following -
Eclipta Alba Ext. (Bhangra Kwath)
Embelica Officinalis Ext. (Amla Kwath)
Butea Frondosa Ext. (Tesu Pushp Kwath)
Glycyrrhiza Glabra Ext. (Mulethi Kwath)
Centella Asiatica Ext. (Mandukparni Kwath)
Cow Milk (Gau Dudha)
Goat Milk (Aja Dudha)

The second one is called a 'hair vitalizer', isn't really an oil, but a 'non-greasy poly vegetable compound' that I massage into the scalp whenever I feel like it, usually every day.
It's supposed to promote hair growth, and this is what it contains:
Melia Azadirachta Ext. (Neem Chhal Kwath)
Piper Longum Ext. (Pipli Kwath)
Carthamus Tinctorius Oil (Kusumbhi Tail)
Glycyrrhiza Glabra Ext. (Mulethi Kwath)
Euphorbia Thymifolia Ext. (Chhoti Duddhi Kwath)
Brassica Nigra Ext. (Rai Kwath)
Purified Water (Parishut Jal)

Before I used the second one, I had no idea that anybody used pepper on their hair. It is supposed to strengthen the roots, so the bottle says.

Sairy
September 28th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Coconut oil. I leave it in for about 7 hours before washing my hair. I've tried to apply it after shampooing too, but that didn't work out too well. My hair was way too oily and looked wet even after it dried. Now I'm sticking to the other method :p

honeybrown1976
September 28th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I use coconut oil. I place it on my ends, mid-shaft, and sometimes on my scalp.

I also use castor and jojoba from time to time.

LeMimi13
January 24th, 2015, 04:53 AM
Thoughts on virgin olive oil? I've never actually started oiling, but I have tons of that around the house... I think i's a bit messy. Is it worth it? Btw, does it darken ypur hair permanently? I heard it does so...

ashke50
January 24th, 2015, 06:58 PM
I use coconut oil occasionally, if my hair is a bit dry or I want to make it extra soft/shiny. I have tried a couple of other oils (Almond oil, shea butter, mineral oil) but I generally just end up using them on my skin, and sticking to occasional coconut oilings for my hair.

LeMimi13
January 25th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Sh.., I need to rinse my hair again, I feel the olive oil stained my hair

Nadine <3
January 25th, 2015, 11:18 AM
I use coconut oil and grape seed oil in the summer, and olive oil and mineral oil in the winter.

maggiealisa
January 25th, 2015, 11:33 AM
I use coconut, olive, and castor oils. I use coconut oil daily as a leave in, and I do heavy oiling nightly with castor and/or olive. I've never noticed any color change from the olive oil. I have tried jojoba oil, but I didn't like how it made my hair feel.

luvlonghair75
January 25th, 2015, 11:50 AM
I've made my own mixture of castor, olive, evening primrose, coconut, rosemary EO, lavender EO and a touch of glycerin for a pre-poo leave-in-overnight oil. Best mixture I've made so far! Ordered some jojoba oil yesterday and can't wait to experiment with that. Also have some Marc Anthony's Morrocan Argan oil that I use after washing and use on the ends daily.

Eraisuithiel
January 31st, 2015, 12:40 PM
I usually just use almond oil or avocado oil, but sometimes I mix in olive, castor, coconut, argan, camellia seed, or grapeseed and some EOs. I just put a bit in the palm of my hand, rub my hands together, and then gently massage it into my scalp and length. It makes my hands much less dry too, so it's fun.

MagicalCurls
January 31st, 2015, 12:54 PM
I use mustard oil on my hair, it seems to be the only oil that leaves my hair soft. Coconut oil had a horrible drying effect on my hair, olive oil left it greasy and coated.
I mix Shea butter with mustard oil and the results are perfect.
I also use mustard and peppermint oil as a deep oil treatment. Tingly and minty :D
Will be experimenting with essential oils (sandalwood, lavender, rosemary, geranium), and with apricot and grape seed oil.

Begemot
February 2nd, 2015, 04:09 AM
Coconut, olive, almond and castor oils and also shea butter. I like to try different oils even though I don't use them that much anymore.

Sarah08
February 2nd, 2015, 05:46 AM
Mostly coconut oil to moisturize, but a little spritz of baby oil in an old argan oil spray bottle whenever I need a little shine...don't judge! :face:

Rushli
February 2nd, 2015, 12:47 PM
Emu oil as a leave in.
Bhringaraj, emu and essential oils as a pre poo.
Coconut oil as a leave in before bleach baths.

TheHowlingWolf
February 2nd, 2015, 01:13 PM
I usually use coconut oil when I heavy oil or when I want a natural deep treatment....but lately I've been using argan oil as a leave in and I like it.

silver curls
February 3rd, 2015, 04:06 PM
Coconut Oil on my natural hair.

gthlvrmx
February 3rd, 2015, 04:21 PM
I use baby oil now after I wash my hair. I take between 2-5 drops and rub it between my hands. Then I run my hands through to damp hair to get the oil in. That's it and it works like a charm! I get really shiny soft hair afterwards and my curls get really defined by the oil I think.

NoRush
February 5th, 2015, 02:59 AM
I've been using coconut as pre-poo and flaxseed as detangler. Coconut is not my fave, but it's cheap and it's there. I adore Argan for more body although I haven't used in a very long time, which reminds me.... *off to amazon*

minaa
February 5th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Avocado oil has given me consistently pleasing results. I have Argan oil and use it occasionally, as well. I have sweet almond oil, but I haven't really used it, and I use jojoba oil on my skin. Yay cosmetic oils!

lapushka
February 5th, 2015, 12:43 PM
I love almond, macadamia, and mineral oil. Jojoba is okay too, but I prefer almond and MO.

animetor7
February 6th, 2015, 01:30 AM
I use coconut oil and mineral oil the night before a wash. I also use coconut oil on the ends of braids.

eloquence
February 8th, 2015, 02:56 AM
I use peppermint oil. It has pretty much changed my life.

betterhairday
February 10th, 2015, 04:19 AM
I've been using coconut as pre-poo and flaxseed as detangler. Coconut is not my fave, but it's cheap and it's there. I adore Argan for more body although I haven't used in a very long time, which reminds me.... *off to amazon*

I use Argan oil as well - bought the wrong type originally off the internet but now use the Pro Naturals one which is fantastic.

Saige
February 10th, 2015, 09:29 PM
I've been trying out olive oil and coconut oil. I love the smell of the coconut oil! I think it can give me crunchy ends if I use it too much though, so I mostly use olive oil. Olive oil is great for a heavy oiling before shampooing. I think it makes my hair softer than coconut oil.

yahirwaO.o
February 10th, 2015, 10:27 PM
Currently EVO and works like a charm..... Jojoba in the past and I think is my most favorite one.

chebella
February 13th, 2015, 03:44 PM
I like using argan oil because it makes my hair shinier without making it greasy. It also smells really nice. I've tried other oils and end up feeling like I need to take a shower a few minutes after I apply them. Argan oil for the win! :)

Nivine
February 16th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Coconut oil all way long! I can't find original, well-made coconut oil where I live, so I tried those refined, bleached with added scent (to give the illusion it's so good for you) but it was NOT worth the money. Tried olive oil but it was too thick for me since I already have oily hair. Tried those mixed hair oils one can buy at stores, still no use.
On December, I found out how to make coconut oil at home, and that was like salvation to my hair!!! I oil my hair before I wash it (no less than 2 hours to overnight) then just wash it as usual I warm it to make hot oil treatment for scalp down to the ends, then flip my head and massage for 5 minutes (inversion method) then leave it till washing time.
Coconut oil changed my life.

LarissaLuna
February 16th, 2015, 11:09 AM
I love macadamianut oil. It's the best I've ever tried.

Lavendersugar
February 17th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Rarely use oil but if I do it is almond or avocado.

mermaid lullaby
February 17th, 2015, 07:42 PM
I use coconut oil and I personally like it.

chantecler
February 20th, 2015, 09:50 PM
I swear by shea butter! It makes my hair so amazingly soft! I am starting to like avocado too, and castor is quite nice also. I actually will use any and every oil I can, since my hair just loves loves loves them all.

hidetheice
February 20th, 2015, 10:04 PM
Im kind of new to oiling. At the moment I'm using jojoba and it seems ok. I don't want too change too many things too fast so I'll stick with this for a while before trying something different. I'd use coconut but I heard that can help retain proteins and I think I have too much protein right now.

copperlites
February 21st, 2015, 12:10 AM
I've juststarted using organic, cold pressed coconut oil. I am on day 4 of the inversion method. My hair is fine and although it feels great it is looking lank and stringy. I think either I'm not washing it out well enough or it may be too heavy for my hair?

Hairkay
February 21st, 2015, 01:49 PM
I have some baths with some coconut oil. It's gets me sorted from head to foot. Other times I'll use the oil on damp/wet hair then seal with almond oil. If I run out of coconut oil or it gets too cold I'll swap the coconut oil for olive oil.

kidari
February 21st, 2015, 01:57 PM
I never understood putting oil on my dry hair on non-wash days until I found *my* oil and learned how to oil it right. Finally I get it- you only need a drop or two (omg I used to put way too much) make sure it's evenly smoothed out all over the palms of your hands and then evenly run it through the length and the tips. I can do this with red palm oil and my hair just soaks it up and never looks greasy- just soft, thick, shiny, and healthy. I do this every night before bed on non-wash days. If I do this with any other oil I've tried so far, my hair clumps, or gets greasy, or crunchy, except for red palm oil.

MsVenus
February 21st, 2015, 04:23 PM
coconut , grape seed, baobab, castor

*ReiKa*
February 21st, 2015, 08:58 PM
I use coconut and argan oils as "plain" ones. I used to have jojoba also, but I finished it and don't plan to buy it again, even though I quite like it.
Then I own some ready mixtures of different oils too.

MagicalMystery
February 21st, 2015, 10:26 PM
I alternate quite a lot. For a while it was sweet almond butter, but lately, I've been loving coconut oil. I use it in the shower on my ends in between co-washes, and then in the LOC method. My hair seems to love it.

Johannah
February 22nd, 2015, 05:30 AM
Macadamia nut oil. I leave it overnight as a pre-poo.

lazuliblue
February 22nd, 2015, 06:25 AM
I've juststarted using organic, cold pressed coconut oil. I am on day 4 of the inversion method. My hair is fine and although it feels great it is looking lank and stringy. I think either I'm not washing it out well enough or it may be too heavy for my hair?

I use coconut oil overnight and then in the morning I put conditioner all over wher the oil is, leave it to sit for half and hour and then when I go to CO wash (conditioner only wash) the oil just comes right out.

Five of Five
February 22nd, 2015, 07:16 AM
Mineral oil works nicely for me on still-wet hair for detangling and shine. Unlike other oils I've tried, it doesn't seem to darken my hair or make it sticky (attracting dust, thereby creating tangles).

I also use coconut oil on the very ends of my hair if they get dry, and as a pre-wash shield if I have the time to let it sit.

Remi
February 22nd, 2015, 08:08 AM
I love using coconut oil, and sometimes switch to Argan. I would like to try jojoba.

battles
February 22nd, 2015, 08:09 AM
I use Haus of Gloi hair oil as a pre-poo, but I can't use it unless I'll be washing it out.

Pinni
February 23rd, 2015, 02:44 AM
I have at the moment hair repair 6 miracles oil essence. I also started using coconut oil, which was recommended here.

ExpectoPatronum
February 23rd, 2015, 11:04 AM
Every once in a while, I forget this little tidbit about my hair and make the mistake of experimenting with oils. Then, when I come back to the oil my hair loves, I'm forget why I ever tried to find something better.

That perfect oil? Olive oil. Extra-virgin or not, if I soak my hair in it before a wash, I'm left with shiny, soft, and smooth hair for the next 2-3 washes! My hair loves the stuff! I find this kind of funny because I'm sicilian by descent, so go figure olive oil would work the best.

Other oils are nice, but they just don't work with my hair nearly as well as olive oil does.

That said, olive oil is a bit too heavy for me to use on dry hair before braiding. I like to keep a lighter oil such as argan or almond or jojoba oil on hand for days I want to braid. I have all three on hand right now from my oil experimenting days. I think if I had to pick one, I'd pick jojoba oil as my second favorite.

Meteorite
February 25th, 2015, 09:27 AM
I use coconut oil. Usually I rub it into my scalp and hair the night before I wash my hair.
That works fine for me. I don't like using it as a leave-in, because it easily makes my hair look greasy and destroys my volume...

liabobia
March 9th, 2015, 04:37 PM
My partner's Beard Oil, which is grapeseed, jojoba, and olive with a touch of cedar smell.

almorin
March 9th, 2015, 06:26 PM
Jojoba as a leave-in, coconut as a pre-wash

Lauraes
March 11th, 2015, 09:25 AM
I use coconut oil. Once a week I thoroughly saturate my hair with it and pin it up for the day until I'm ready to wash it out. Throughout the rest of the week I sometimes rub a tiny bit in my palms and spread it through my hair as a leave in, but I have to use a super small amount so it doesn't look greasy.

Remi
March 16th, 2015, 03:10 AM
I use a special blend of several oils.

NikitaRM
March 16th, 2015, 06:43 AM
I use coconut oil as a deep treatment, and a couple drops of jojoba oil when my hair looks dry.

Illryeth
April 25th, 2015, 05:00 AM
Coconut oil, smells amazing :D

lapushka
April 25th, 2015, 06:50 AM
Any kind of serum I can get my hands on these days, and mineral oil for the Rinse-out oil method (link in my sig).

Dixie_Amazon
April 25th, 2015, 07:45 AM
Coconut oil occasionally.

MicheleZ
April 25th, 2015, 08:02 AM
Triple Moon Oil and sometimes Argan.

Todd
April 25th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Jojoba. I think I've used Argan too but its been awhile.

meteor
April 25th, 2015, 01:50 PM
I mostly use coconut oil in my pre-poo treatments and mineral oil as a sealant post-wash on wet hair.
I also use silicone serums as a leave-in on dry hair from time to time.

aurorae
April 28th, 2015, 02:45 AM
i used to use olive oil and my homemade shea butter mix.Nowadays for its strengthening and light weight consistency at least more than the olive oil,im using my homemade coconut oil more.