PDA

View Full Version : growing out from pixie (pict.)

serious
August 16th, 2008, 05:39 AM
I am growing out from extremely short pixie cut from september 07. This picture was taken in May 08.

http://public.fotki.com/seriousserious/my-hair/kana020.html (http://public.fotki.com/seriousserious/my-hair/kana020.html)

Today,it is few inches longer but pretty much the same.As you can see,every single hair is of different lenght ! I am affraid to trim those layers myself,so I m only trimming the longest part on the back,put some oil on wet ends and wait for all that layers to grow.I now ,nothing else could be done,I just wanted to share this,its such a pain...

Shanarana
August 16th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Growing out layers is not easy, lots of patience needed for that. Your hair looks good and healthy. Hang in there.....it will grow. :)

Chrissy
August 16th, 2008, 06:10 AM
I'm a shortie right now too. Growing. Your hair does look healthy. It looks thick too. Is it? Just go day to day and before you know it it will be long enough to do something with. It is a pain but you will get through it.

mellie
August 16th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Your hair looks great, and actually really cute! The layers will look great too when your hair is longer, will give you some nice shape and body!

serious
August 16th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Thank you,girls ! My hair is pretty healthy,but not that thick as it looks.:)

Chamomile betty
August 16th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Your hair looks lovely!

I think just trimming the bottom is a good idea.
You can always start to pin or clip pieces that are bothering you while you grow.

Just be patient and you will be able to grow out those layers. It's a hard stage but you'll get there.

LaurelSpring
August 16th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I think you have a good plan. Growing out layers is a pain. I spent years trying to grow out layers with a hairdresser who kept wanting to trim them and I never ever got anywhere. I am in the same boat now just with longer layers so I am only lightly dusting the ends with occasional S&D.

serious
August 16th, 2008, 08:01 AM
LaurelSpring,my hairdresser would do the same thing as yours,so going there is out of question.What worries me a little is that the upper layers are a little bit dry and I m affraid that could go worse while growing.Is there anything else exept oiling,I could do to protect them ?

jojo
August 16th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Ive been there too and its frustrating eh? but hang in there before long you will be able to get a pony stub and it gets easier from there.

I was your length about 2 years ago and thought it would never grow, but it does. My layers have nearly caught up with my length, hang in there, you have a great starting point.

yogachic
August 16th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I have grown out layers just once, and it really was a pain, that is why I have shyed away from layers ever since.
Good luck with your growing.

SchnauzerMom
August 16th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I'm growing out from a short pixie too. It is a pain.

paper
August 16th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I am growing out from a short layered all over hair cut. It's been about a year, and I'm finally happy. Like another poster said, I'll never get layers again. Hang in there!!!

DecafJane
August 16th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Hey, I'm at the same point you are (growing out since October 2007). My hair is ALWAYS up, unless I am at home and it is cold, or I am taking a length shot. I'm not starting to trim until BSL, as my hair is thick and wavy and I would rather be able to pull it up than have it looking good when down. (Funnily enough, I have had cuts that intentionally looked the same way my hair looks now. :D )

We can hang in there together! I think my hair is past the worst stage, and I suspect yours might be, too. :)

dustbuni2k
August 16th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I'm right in there with you, serious. From this perspective it seems like such a long time before we can do anything with our hair, but time does march on and along with it our hair will be growing, and we will look back and see how far we have come.

Juneii
August 16th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I'm right there with you. growing out my layers is making me want to screram. I'm like measuring my hair almost everyday in hopes that it changed about an inch from the day before.
on the bright side, my hair grows about 1 inch per month so I'm trying to keep the diet I have now and hope that it won't suddenly stop and shed.

serious
August 17th, 2008, 01:41 AM
The only updo I can do is kind of French twist which looks messy and pathetic,so I can t go to work like that ! But when I am at home my hair is up.

vampodrama
August 17th, 2008, 04:44 AM
I grew my hair out of a buzzcut... so I know your pain XD

it will get easier. seriously. although it might seem like forever and ever.

paprikapapaya
August 17th, 2008, 09:50 AM
You and I are in the same boat!
It does seem like it takes forever to grow out, but I know it will be worth it.
Hang in there!

Aqua Gal
August 17th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Please don't despair! I'm growing out from a super-short cut also. In fact it's exactly 3 years since I started growing and I'm at BSL now. I remember how icky I felt in the beginning. Trust me, it will get better. I suggest treating your self to a new hairband or something that you can put in your hair right now as a little pick-me-up.

As for the layers, you may find that you like them once your hair gets a bit longer. I used a stylist to help me find transitional styles for the first year. I really wanted to let the layers completely grow out and then start growing, but I was a bit impatient. I just kept trimming the very back, so the layers could catch up a bit to get rid of the "mullet" look.

I'm really glad that I stuck it out through that first year. It has been much, much easier since.
Best of luck to you!!!

serious
August 17th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Thank you all ! :grouphug:

Islandgrrl
August 18th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Growing out from a Pixie is such a pain. I'm three years into it and I still have layers.

My plan for success was to trim the bottom for a while to avoid the Mullet of Doom. So for the first year or so all I did was trim the bottom to keep it about 2" above shoulder while bunches of layers caught up. When most of the front was about chin-length, I decided I was past the MoD stage and just let it all grow.

Julesn
August 18th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Hey Serious!!!

Your hair looks fabu!!! Growing out layers is definitely not fun, I'll agree with you there ;) It looks like it's growing fast, though!!! :) Headbands are a lifesaver & pretty soon, you'll have a ponytail! I think once you are able to put it up, it will be a lot easier :)

Anyways...it looks GREAT!!!

Julie :)

thankyousir74
August 18th, 2008, 04:25 PM
This is the advice I give to everyone with layers (including myself) It looks like you're well past the awkward phase, but while you're in it, as much as you want, to its best not to trim. You'll just be prolonging it.

Other than that, I'm also in the growing out layers boat, with my longest hairs at shoulder length I know toodramatik and detritus are within our growth range. There are many on this thread that are in the same boat, I hope we all get to our goals.

We all shall have awesome hair growing adventures ^_______^

Have you any goal lengths?

feralnature
August 18th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I'm growing out layers too. I had dreadlocks and cut and combed them out last year. Some of my hair had to be cut close to my scalp, within a few inches, so my hair was pretty well "layered". It has really started growing now and I finally feel like i have hair again. It is much longer now than my siggy pic.