PDA

View Full Version : stress and trying to grow...

snowflake2008
August 15th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I have been diagnosed with post-traumatic-stress disorder by my therapist. I was just curious if anyone has had to battle with extreme stress and how they overcame it? I know that it can cause hair to not grow properly or cause hair to fall out. I want to do everything I can to help my hair grow healthier and so I need to find ways to fight this. The only thing I can think of is exercising more, which is proven to help with stress. I'm out of other ideas...

PseudoScot
August 15th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Hello! Welcome to LHC.

I am sorry to hear of your troubles. You'll find lots of useful info here and in the archives.

Try doing a search for "stress" - you can search for this term in threads and that should yield the best results.

Stress is a common issue here as all people experience in some form, so rest easy, you'll find some great info to help you along with your hair growth. :grouphug: :D

snowflake2008
August 15th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Thank you!

PseudoScot
August 15th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I meant to explain a bit better, sorry!

When you do a search you can search for words in posts or in thread titles. If you search by thread title you'll get whole threads on stress. It's easier to wade through than random posts on stress.

Also, do search the old archive. You can access it via the forum home page. You'll have to log out here, and then log in there - you can't be logged in both places at once.

Please don't think I'm discouraging you from posting your situation, that's not it at all! I just wanted to pass along a few leads for you. :)

Darkhorse1
August 15th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I'm so sorry for your PSTD. I've gone through bouts of extreeme stress. I shed hair, and I can tell you not to worry --if you do shed hair, it does grow back.

To alleviate stress? PSTD is different than regular stress. It's a reaction to a stressfull incident. I think using calming techniques, and definetly seeking help through your doctor is a good idea.

Doing things you like/find relaxing is also helpful. I found writing very theraputic for me. I found that by writing, I was able to release my anger of the situations at hand, and I realized what was more important in my life. I hope that helps? :)

snowflake2008
August 15th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I meant to explain a bit better, sorry!

When you do a search you can search for words in posts or in thread titles. If you search by thread title you'll get whole threads on stress. It's easier to wade through than random posts on stress.

Also, do search the old archive. You can access it via the forum home page. You'll have to log out here, and then log in there - you can't be logged in both places at once.

Please don't think I'm discouraging you from posting your situation, that's not it at all! I just wanted to pass along a few leads for you. :)

No problem! I don't why I didn't think about searching previous threads, I haven't been on a forum so long I forgot about that feature :dizzy: But I did find the appropriate thread in the off-topic area.

Looking forward to getting the hang of this place!

snowflake2008
August 15th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I'm so sorry for your PSTD. I've gone through bouts of extreeme stress. I shed hair, and I can tell you not to worry --if you do shed hair, it does grow back.

To alleviate stress? PSTD is different than regular stress. It's a reaction to a stressfull incident. I think using calming techniques, and definetly seeking help through your doctor is a good idea.

Doing things you like/find relaxing is also helpful. I found writing very theraputic for me. I found that by writing, I was able to release my anger of the situations at hand, and I realized what was more important in my life. I hope that helps? :)

Thanks for the ideas!

Katze
August 16th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I'm very sorry to hear about your trauma and lingering effects. I suffered severe PTSD after being attacked by the police and then going through 9/11 in NYC shortly thereafter.

It caused my hair to fall out, among other things.

PTSD is terrible, but:

acupuncture SAVED MY LIFE. I cannot stress that enough. My treatment consisted of regular acupuncture and Chinese herbs, as well as food supplements (fish oil) and, in the critical, suicidal phase, St John's Wort and a diet that cut out all wheat, dairy, and sugar. I was determined to be well, and that determination allowed me to heal.

After doing this, I am a different person. My friends and family have all now said at one time or another how much calmer and happier I am.

You will most likely have flashbacks, but they will lessen. Hopefully your therapist is a good one and can help you with hypnosis, relaxation techniques, etc. but what is also important is having friends you can trust. What was good for me was being able to honestly talk about what made me panic (soldiers with machine guns on the subway, crowds, police) and that I knew my friends would 'protect' me, if only by being there.

hope some of our answers are able to help you and that you also get 'real life' help. When you are relaxed and healthy, your hair will be happy too.

:flower:

Katze