PDA

View Full Version : Should I henna (gloss) my hair?

SnowWhite
October 13th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Hi everyone!

Gosh, I missed LHC so much :D, So happy to be back..!
I'm desperately in need of advice.

It's time for a change! I'm kind of tired of my own virgin dark brown haircolor. I never dyed it, had a few highlights once when I was eleven. I want another hair shade, even if it's only a slight difference, without harming my hair too much so I was thinking about henna-ing it. Also because it's relatively cheap to do. I love this shade of red on Scarlett Johansson (http://www.stylebistro.com/lookbook/Scarlett+Johansson/GBbDDqRkv2H/Long+Hairstyles).

I'm pretty pale-ish as well but... I don't want to look like a ghost. So, I'm wondering if you think a richer, reddish hair tone would suit me... If it would 'add' something.
I would probably henna gloss it first and do strand test of course... However, it's difficult to do a strand test and then decide if it suits you if you dye everything.
I really don't know. My brother says it would, my mum doesn't care, my dad would be horrified anyway. Sorry for making a fuss over it but changing my virgin hair color is a little bit nerve wracking because I know the maintaining or growing out process would be time, energy, patience and money - consuming :o

That's why I would like to have some honest advice from you! Please, be honest.

http://imageshack.us/a/img22/2540/20121013266.jpg

Thank you very much in advance :)

MissAlida
October 13th, 2012, 07:14 AM
I think that a reddish brown would suit you perfectly, with you cool skintone and light eyes. I also think that a full head henna application would pretty much give you that shade that Scarlet has in the photo. I say, do a strand test, and if you are 100% sure, then go for it. I did henna for the first time a month ago, and I'm so happy with it. My starting color is much darker than yours, so my henna is not that visible. But the shine, and the thickness is very nice. What I don't like about henna, is that the smell lingers for quite a while, and that 2 weeks after the last application it still bleeds a yellowish stain. But oh well, it's worth it.:D

Bambi
October 13th, 2012, 07:22 AM
I think it would suit you perfectly! Especially now during autumn and later winter. I do henna glosses now and then and I love love love the results! Not only the color(auburn-copperish), but all it does with the quality of my hair. A couple of weeks ago a friend commented on how shiny my hair was:).
Good luck with your decision!

SnowWhite
October 13th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Thanks for your replies!
I think I'll go for it... I'll do some henna glosses first for minimal color change... Then I'll do a strand test and I'll see what I'm going to do.

maborosi
October 13th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Glosses would be perfect for you. As for being pale, don't worry. I have almost no color in my skin and, light or dark, it's all about figuring out what works best with your undertones.

If you also want to further dilute the color, you can add Cassia. I use a mixture with both cassia and henna (not 100% sure of the ratio) and I dilute it with conditioner and I get a pale pale copper color ( I have blonde hair naturally, though! so your results will definitely vary! ^^)

Happy Hennaing! Do post results! :D

~maborosi~

SnowWhite
October 16th, 2012, 06:53 AM
*******WARNING, PIC HEAVY*********

I did it!!!! And I'm sooo happy :D I'm in love with my new hair color and I keep looking at it, haha...
I'm afraid I'll be a henna-addict till eternity. Thank you so much for your advice!

I did a strand test first (henna mixture for about 1 hour) but I couldn't wait for the oxidation process so a few hours after there was henna all over my head and everywhere in the bathroom. And I let it sit for two hours.

I invented a mixture and threw anything in it that could be good... It was not really a henna gloss, and not really a pure henna mixture. So here it is:

80 - 90 grams of henna
4 table spoons of cheap cone-free conditioner
1 teaspoon of honey
1 teaspoon of mayonaise
10-12 ground cloves
2 teaspoons of paprika powder
around 2 table spoons of lemon juice
Add very hot/boiled water until you get the right texture.

I mermaid soaked my hair about four times and I washed two or three times with a mild SLS-free poo

Pics or it didn't happen, so here they are:

http://imageshack.us/a/img337/4798/20121015309.jpg
Strand test...

Result
http://imageshack.us/a/img9/4982/20121016433.jpg

With flash, so the red is more noticeable:

http://imageshack.us/a/img233/6554/20121016469.jpg

Bambi
October 16th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Congratulations! It looks so good!!! :D

Crysania
October 17th, 2012, 07:32 PM
very nice results ! thanks for sharing

kdaniels8811
October 17th, 2012, 07:54 PM
You hair color is perfect for you, makes your eyes really pop! Congrats on joining the ranks of the hennaheads.

HintOfMint
October 18th, 2012, 12:26 AM
It looks FANTASTIC!

melusine963
October 18th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Well done! The new colour looks vrey natural and suits you.

SnowWhite
October 18th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Thank you! :)